PDA

View Full Version : Bobbed or "hobnail" pattern boot soles?

Naphtali
01-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Several decades ago I seem to recall L.L. Bean making their Maine Guide Pack Boot with an optional sole, that being similar to one having large diameter rubber hobnails rather than lugs or what I describe as their "chain mail" sole pattern. Bean claimed the rubber hobnails furnished excellent traction, especially in snow and gumbo-type mud, without picking up snow or mud that would cause the boot to become very heavy and clumsy. . . . At least this is what I think I remember.

Several times when hunting, I have had to cross shallow streams or brooks. My boots were, and are, about six-inch uppers; the water is always 8-10 inches deep. Include hunting in two feet of snow and the Bean boot lug pattern that I think I remember becomes rather attractive.

Bean's web site does not show their pack boot as being available with such a sole. Has anyone noticed this sort of bobbed sole as being available in an insulated pack boot?

jcwit
01-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Again, google is your friend, Hope this helps!
http://www.rockyboots.com/top-selling-rocky/?kwid=34592641x15637065787x250866187&gclid=CjwKEAiA-rfDBRDeyOybg8jd2U4SJAAoE5Xqn8moeoHMnyqZIGa_k9siNAo wxgu72WeQKKJjLfMJyxoCqv3w_wcB#sz=48
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Mens-Hunting-Boots/category/cat101537

Beerd
01-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Or Schnee's from Bozeman.

5Shot
01-05-2017, 07:34 PM
White's and Hoffman's - have both and would take one of them over any others. Prefer the Hoffman's.

runfiverun
01-05-2017, 08:27 PM
good luck getting LL bean boots for a while they are the hot fashion item this year.
their sales have more than tripled.

jonp
01-05-2017, 09:04 PM
good luck getting LL bean boots for a while they are the hot fashion item this year.
their sales have more than tripled.

Yuppies ruin everything. My wife bought me a new Johnson Wool Pullover Anorack this year and it was $150. At least it will last a lifetime

MT Gianni
01-05-2017, 10:02 PM
They double as ice skates on slick parking lots. Vibrams give you better ice traction.

woody1
01-05-2017, 10:54 PM
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75920?feat=506796-GN3&page=men-s-maine-pac-boots&attrValue_0=Dark%20Sienna&productId=1253514

MostlyLeverGuns
01-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Only metal cleats of some sort work on ice. I've tried Vibrams by Danner and Meindl, went back to the softer rubber chain-sole on the LL Bean. I've also tried other rubber-bottoms, most have a harder tougher rubber that is slippery, not as quiet and does not grip slick rock. Never tried what some call the air-bob, the soft hollow rubber 'hob-nails' that some of the high end boot makers still provide. In mud or soft snow, the heavy treads just clog, the soles on some all rubber boots 'tractor-tread ??' works OK in that stuff. Sometimes it is JUST SLIPPERY.

johnson1942
01-06-2017, 12:10 PM
would a good pair of hand made logger boots work for you? they have kept loggers alive for years and are made for the same type of land you hunt in. they are good in a fight also. used to know several young loggers in washington state who won a lot of bar fight with their logger boots.

claude
01-06-2017, 12:28 PM
they are good in a fight also.
And in many states classified as a dangerous/deadly weapon, akin to brass knuckles and such.......

blackthorn
01-06-2017, 02:08 PM
On our local news last night there was an article about a firm in Kelowna BC that has developed a winter boot with retractable "corks". Apparently this guy started with golf shoes several years ago, and was then contacted by the postal service (can't recall if ours or US) about making the shoes available for postal workers. This year he has expanded into winter boots for outdoor enthusiasts. There is a button(?) on the back of the heel, which when out allows the "corks" to protrude from the sloe of the boot and when pushed in allows the "corks" to retract into the sole. They are not cheap.

Blackwater
01-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Being a po' boy, I've never tried it, but has anyone tried felt soles? Wading trout fishermen use them to keep from slipping on slimy mossy rocks in streams, and I've often wondered how they'd do for hunting in slick places. Don't know how they'd do on ice. Seems like they'd offer additional insulation for the soles of the feet, too. Wool still insulates significantly, even when wet, but get heavier with absorption of water, of course. As a kid, I had no concept of "waterproof boots," and STILL went out in the freezing, rainy, wet and even occasionally snowy weather with boots that could have served as a pretty good sieve. On more than one occasion, when I got back home, I wouldn't be able to feel my feet, but had a good mess of quail in my bag, and beamed like a mule eating briars anyway. I guess I may not have been too smart, but I sure had a great time abusing myself thusly! Boots are always a big item when the weather gets unpleasant. A buddy got a pair of those Maine Hunting Boots when I was in high school, and I was SO envious! Very good boots, and those rubber bottoms, IF you didn't poke a hole in them (they're pretty tough and puncture resistant, but CAN be punctured, and may get stiff and crack with age - time to get "rebottomed," which they used to offer) were great hunting boots, especially for the river where boggy spots always presented themselves. They're also not that heavy for the protection they offer, and height of the uppers (always an asset crossing creeks).

One detriment to "nailed" soles is if you have "gumbo" as we call it here (mix of clay and sand and stuff that acts like glue to make it stick to the soles of boots with something to "grip" onto), your boots will weigh about 10 lbs. EACH if you have to walk in that stuff. NOT pleasant! Wading creeks is an art and a science, and few any more get to practice it enough to get good at it. But a hunter HAS to go where the trail leads, and deer and other critters (coons, and all other wildlife) don't pay them much mind, so ... we can't either. We just have to prepare for it as best we can, and be VERY careful not to do a headstand in water. Kind'a hard to breathe that stuff, especially when it's icy cold! Don't ask how I discovered that!

Multigunner
01-06-2017, 05:08 PM
I bought a pair of what were more or less jogging shoes with soles that were supposed to be good for walking on slick slippery stones when nature walking and crossing streams or rain wet cobble stone paths.
The small suction cup shaped cleats really did the job except you couldn't walk on any smooth surface without the soles sticking to it like Velcro. I never got any use out of those at all.

kootne
01-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Naphtali, I've worn them for years. They are called "Air Bobs". I would have nothing else on a pac boot. I would concur with the recommendation of Hoffmans Boots (Kellogg, Idaho). I went over to their store, tried several liner and bottom sizes to get an optimum fit. Specified the height, lacing style and liner (Thinsilate) I wanted and that I wanted an AirBob toe for grip and Vibram heel because it is wider and more stable than the narrow airbob heel. This was about 11 in the morning. They told me, "go check out main street (very short, small town), eat some lunch, come back about 1:30 or 2." and when I did they were built and waiting exactly the way I wanted them. To me, Hoffman Boot Co. is the very definition of customer service. I've had those boots over 12 years and they are good for more. I also have a similar pair of Whites Packer or Cowboy model pacs but with the old felt liners. They are top notch boots to, but are a lot heavier so I seldom wear them nowadays.

44man
01-07-2017, 09:33 AM
I have gone airborne too many times and ice is what we have most. I made strap on things for my boots, two sizes of boots and a set for Carol. I used cargo belt material and steel golf spikes. Can't get steel anymore, they are now plastic.
Mine do not roll off the boots like the cheap ones you buy. I can climb hills, up or down.