super duper coyote wackin rifle
now you could either buy a action and build from there
or you could take a barrel off of an existing rifle in your harem
most definitely the most cost effective
Which route would you take
:Fire:

nagantguy
01-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Cost effectiveness tends to go out the window on my super dupper best ever build projects;and I always hate to take apart one of the girls to make a new one feels like being unfaithful or something, my latest example, a simple ar build, wanted a 300 blackout to run quite and such, the parts bin was about full and a favorite rifle went down, needed serious repair , got a full upgrade and restore, a heavy 5.56 got built two new scopes one red dot and the 300 project is about , well we won't discuss hard numbers but over budget and still needs a few things like a bolt and this weekend we are making a trip to the police supply place in capital city and I'm sure something will follow us home and a browning shotgun that I've liked for years is coming up for sale by a buddy and on and on and all I wanted to do was use my spare parts to build a 300 on the cheap side so maybe you are better off without my input

Butchman205
01-04-2017, 07:12 PM
I'd find a competition shooter and buy one of his "shot out" rifles, that's not good enough for competition anymore...and can't shoot less than 0.125" groups at 200 yards and not capable of winning.
And since it's "shot out" but easily capable of 0.200"-0.250" groups at 100 yards...it's a dialed in rifle, with the load data already worked out by the seller.

At least that's what I've done...several times.
[emoji41][emoji1417]

-Butchman

01-04-2017, 07:39 PM
I'd love a super-duper custom build .25-06 for coyote whackin'. Might move it into a multi-purpose whacker.

Butchman205
01-04-2017, 09:00 PM
I'd love a super-duper custom build .25-06 for coyote whackin'. Might move it into a multi-purpose whacker.

That would be cool...

-Butchman

MarkP
01-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Seems like bare actions (bolt action rifles) are about the same price as a stocked and barreled rifle. You can always sell the stock and take off bbl, probably will not get much for the bbl.

Butchman205's suggestion is a good one.

country gent
01-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Depending on caliber and your requirements there are several ways to go about this. Building the SUper Duper end all rifle is never a cheap proposition. If you have an AR -15 in the stable then you dont need to disassemble it just build a second upper in the desired caliber, with the desired barrel and length. If a bolt action is desired then one of the high end single shot actions ment for bench rest to start with. A nieska bay,SHelby, or Barnard action with appropriate bolt face for the intended cartridge. A good trigger. then a premium barrel in caliber twist rate and desired length. Last is a solid stable stock. The single shot benchrest actions are stiffer and truer than the repeaters are. They are desighned to be consistant. Remington 700 action cost of turing and squareing will be almost the same cost when done and ready for the barrel. A good barrel is also a must Krieger, Lilja, Pac Nor, Mc Gowen and Hart are all good starts. Caliber twist rate and length. Next is triggers and Im not sure what is out there now but Jewels were popular when I was competiting. Next is stock in the form you want in a stable solid platform. Mcmillen, or other good fiberglass stock, or a laminate . Last is the scope mounts, for a Long range rifle look into bridge mounts with 10-20 mins elevation built into them. A top end scope with enough magnification to work at the ranges desired.

Butchman205
01-04-2017, 09:59 PM
Seems like bare actions (bolt action rifles) are about the same price as a stocked and barreled rifle. You can always sell the stock and take off bbl, probably will not get much for the bbl.

Butchman205's suggestion is a good one.

My favorite two are a 6mm PPC and a 22/250...and they'll hit a nickel EVERY time at 100yards. I can hit squirrels at 200 yards just about every time...it's more cool looking with the 22/250 though.

-Butchman

beechbum444
01-04-2017, 10:43 PM
I'm thinking a 6 x 45 with 95 grainers.......

Harter66
01-04-2017, 11:11 PM
No brainer .
The 65' 110 LH in 06' crawls in a box and goes to Conway Ar for a Hart 24" 1-10" 25 cal straight taper to .750 , with a deep target crown . Chambered in 250 Savage so that later on it can grow into 25 Souper , 257 Roberts AI and 25-06' AI .
Replace the tired 3-9x40 with a 4-12x50 Vortex . The stock would get replaced with a classic pseudo modern straight comb with a short side forend . Walnut , ash line spacers and rosewood tip and grip cap .

Yep , that should do it .

white eagle
01-05-2017, 12:02 AM
forgot to mention this build will be a repeater bolt action
hunting rifle not a benchrest rifle although that may be in the future
it will probably be in 6mm a.i cal with a 24"barrel with a 9-10 twist
in stainless sleel

map55b
01-05-2017, 01:40 AM
I like the 22-250. I built this one one a Mexican 98. It can reach out and touch someone (something).
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r566/map55b1/Mex%202_zpsfby4ivmw.jpg

dh2
01-05-2017, 03:03 AM
I do like that 98 Mauser I am sure that 22-250 is up to the job , My way was a Rem. 700 in .220 Swift an I love it, but as for super duper dream rifle any time you build one the way you want it do not even try to compare it to a factory rifle in price, If want it start finding you action and parts, just keep in mind that a custom rifle it only worth the price you have in it to you and no one else.

gandydancer
01-05-2017, 04:19 AM
I have a Ruger # 3 action waiting for a new Barrel? I'm thinking a 6.5 Creedmoor. something to think on, [smilie=1:

Lloyd Smale
01-05-2017, 06:35 AM
If I had the cash to build a custom bolt gun it would wear a rem 700 short action and probably be a 22250. that said coyotes don't take a lot of killing and practicality and cost would push me to a 18-20 inch heavy barreled ar15 in 5.56. Nice thing about a gun like that is its a great coyote gun and can do double duty as a home protection rifle.

DanishM1Garand
01-05-2017, 09:24 AM
I'd find a competition shooter and buy one of his "shot out" rifles, that's not good enough for competition anymore...and can't shoot less than 0.125" groups at 200 yards and not capable of winning.
And since it's "shot out" but easily capable of 0.200"-0.250" groups at 100 yards...it's a dialed in rifle, with the load data already worked out by the seller.

At least that's what I've done...several times.
[emoji41][emoji1417]

-Butchman
I know a bunch of High Power shooters. This is the honest truth. A Service Rifle barrel that is "shot out" is plenty good for ground hog killing. A JP trigger and Speed hammer that won't lift the CMP weights is junk to them also. You just bought a fine trigger that breaks at 4.4 pounds for 50 bucks installed.

Get to know competitive shooters. Bring beer, never ask straight away and you will get bargains.

Budzilla 19
01-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Accurized Rem. 700 short action, 24" Shilen heavy barrel, Shilen trigger, McMillan aluminum bedding block stock, bipod, in .308 Win.! Talk about double duty. ( something about this sounds familiar) If you want to try a caliber, and have Rem. 700 action, just buy a takeoff barrel, do the swap, and if you don't like it, put it on s and s! Just my .02 good luck however you decide to go.

B. Lumpkin
01-05-2017, 07:52 PM
My local Walmart has a Remington 700 in .243 for $360.00. That is cheaper than an action. When I want to do a new build off of a Remington 700 action, I wait until after hunting season and Christmas and just buy the full rifle from wally world. The action will have to be trued anyway.

Butchman205
01-05-2017, 10:12 PM
I know a bunch of High Power shooters. This is the honest truth. A Service Rifle barrel that is "shot out" is plenty good for ground hog killing. A JP trigger and Speed hammer that won't lift the CMP weights is junk to them also. You just bought a fine trigger that breaks at 4.4 pounds for 50 bucks installed.

Get to know competitive shooters. Bring beer, never ask straight away and you will get bargains.

Very good advice.
Also...most competitive shooters have forgotten more about shooting than the average Joe will ever know. Be careful about hanging around them too much however, you'll get bitten by the one-hole-bug...which can be a chronic condition.

-Butchman

376Steyr
01-05-2017, 10:47 PM
I just finished building a Rem 700, starting from an action (receiver, bolt, and crappy Mark X trigger) and buying all the parts and pieces. Never again. It's now a nifty 6.5-06 with a Timney trigger, but I grind my teeth at all the money that went into trigger guard, magazine, spring and follower, etc. It would have been worse if I had insisted on a BDL floorplate. I recommend buying a completed rifle, and upgrading parts as necessary.

B. Lumpkin
01-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Very good advice.
Also...most competitive shooters have forgotten more about shooting than the average Joe will ever know. Be careful about hanging around them too much however, you'll get bitten by the one-hole-bug...which can be a chronic condition.

-Butchman

It's also an expensive condition, lol.

liliysdad
01-05-2017, 11:02 PM
I am currently in the midst of such a build...

700 Action, 22 Creedmoor wearing a 22" Shilen 8 twist barrel. Guys I know well running similar combos lead me to believe I should be able to shove a 75gr AMax at somewhere around 3550fps...

warboar_21
01-06-2017, 12:42 PM
I have been thinking about doing up a new build for myself.
Left hand rem 700 stainless long action, 24" stainless Rem/age Criterion sporter barrel chambered in 6.5X55, already have the left handed vintage CDL stock, stainless or aluminum bottom metal, and a timney trigger.
Figure I would be under the $1000 mark or slightly above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

paul h
01-06-2017, 04:41 PM
I'd just grab either of my 223's

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/6731061612_2A820DF52BF175ACDB95B77752DCE849.jpg

Both sub moa. The Rem 700 is a factory varmint rifle with a B&C stock off a LVSF rem with the barrel channel opened up. The AR I assembled myself with a WOA barrel.

If I was to go the super duper route I'd go with one of the BR short actions in a repeater and build a 6 PPC. The more cost effective option would be to find a good deal on a used 6 PPC BR rifle and have the barrel set back a couple inches and have a new chamber cut. Trouble is most BR guns will be single shots.

runfiverun
01-06-2017, 05:00 PM
my super duper 300+ yd coyote smoker is my BRNO action 25-06 shooting the 100gr speer BT controlled expansion.
it works pretty good on deer at those distances too.
under 200 yds the hides aren't too hard to sew up, over that they get easier.

out to 250yds I just use my stag 6-H and home swaged 63gr 6.5s ogive J-4 jackets.
I get quick follow ups for the runners with the stag.
but get better waaay better hold and hit odds on the ones that like to stand out there and watch at 300 yds with the 25.

Three44s
01-07-2017, 03:29 AM
For a cartridge that flat out drops coyotes in the DIRT ........ a .25-06 is certainly no slouch ...... I own multiples.

And I have just about run the gamout of rounds for coyotes since I was a kid ........ started with a .250-3000 in a 99 Savage, turned to .243 Win after a brief stint with .30-06 (Rem 742) ........ stayed with .243 Win and still have a number of them, including my honey pot ......... a tang safety Ruger 77V Liberty.

By the early 90's I had acquired a Rem 788 in .22-250 and after a rocky start with it ......... I had to come to terms with using higher priced bullets than the cheapest I could load with ........ I dusted many a "dog" with that rifle after a gunsmith installed one of Matt Canjar's single set trigger in it .......

........ until the barrel went "south".

After that .22-250 went to hadies, I bought a CZ 527 American in .223 ....... it's done well ......... (A Ruger American Compact in .223 goes with me daily right now ....... another sweetie on a budget!)

After I had the CZ a while, I discovered Savage bolt guns and bought the tooling to change barrels!

I built my first .25-06 on a LA Savage 110, a varmint weight barrel ..... I got tired of my arms continually getting longer though.

After I acquired my first couple Savage SA's I built a .204 Ruger on one of them. I added a Red blade accutrigger and target sear ....... I had to tighten the trigger up from around 8 oz. to about 14 oz. because I farm and ranch and want a bit more pull than 8 oz.

After a stint with a varmint weight barrel on that .204 build, I found and installed a sporter in .204 ........ my arms quit growing! I lost a wee bit on group size but for crawling in and out of trucks and tractors ........... I'll take that trade off!

While the .204 bull barrel was on it, I had the occasion to drop a coyote at just under 300 yards ...... it did not want to make it too easy however ....... the coyote was standing out on a rock outcropping with just it's head and neck exposed.

Using factory Hornady ammo ......... the 32 gr. Vmax, I hit it in the neck, the slug never exited and I saw the coyote's bottom's of it's feet fly up BEFORE the rifle recoiled me out of the scope picture. Instant gratification is grand when it comes to hunting coyotes out in the sage and rocks!

Besides the cartridges I mentioned above I do .22 Hornet, 6mm BR Norma, I have a barrel for .220 Swift and .22-243 AI 40 and even the less known .257 STW ........ that one reminds me of strapping a knat's rear end to a Saturn V rocket! Waa HOOO!

But, if a fellow buys a Savage and turns it into a .204 or buys it out right and is handy with a few tools, you can have a lot of fun with that platform.

And if one wants more finnesse ......... get a Rem 700 in the .204 ....... You will have your self a kick tail coyote rig for not too much money that with a little work will get you to 400 yards without much recoil.

Why do I have so many calibers? I like to fiddle with them .......... but to just go out and kill coyotes ... any of the above mentioned calibers and tons more will do very well. But the .204 is seriously in a class all by itself ..........

Three 44s

Texas by God
01-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Tikka T3 Lite in 25-06. Affordable, tough, and sub MOA out of the box with a great trigger. I know- too simple. Paint the stock the camo of your choice if you want. Mine is the walnut Hunter model and I would not trade it for a custom rifle. Best, Thomas.

rda72927
01-07-2017, 12:26 PM
I agree with Three44s post. I started with my older Savage 112 in 22-250 and changed to a 22-250 in a 1-8 twist ( to shoot a heavier boolit). The experiment was a Great success. I've popped prairie dogs out to 525. I've done 3 more actions, last is a 6MM BR for F-Class. The place I have got my barrels from now carries drop-in barrels for Rem700's, same process as a Savage. One other advantage with the Savage is that you can change the bolt head for 30.00, this will let you install whatever caliber you wish.