PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on value?

Steve77
01-03-2017, 09:05 PM
I've got a pile of stuff that I've accumulated. Does any of it have collectible value? What's it worth?

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s656/andrin77/Sale/DSCF2109_zpsffgqpykv.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/andrin77/media/Sale/DSCF2109_zpsffgqpykv.jpg.html)http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s656/andrin77/Sale/DSCF2107_zpsp4lsypc6.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/andrin77/media/Sale/DSCF2107_zpsp4lsypc6.jpg.html)
Several canisters of powder.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s656/andrin77/Sale/DSCF2111_zps7kgmnuin.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/andrin77/media/Sale/DSCF2111_zps7kgmnuin.jpg.html)
Some old primers, I have a box of 1000 old Herters primers too that Aren't pictured, not sure where I put them.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s656/andrin77/Sale/DSCF2105_zpsi07da40t.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/andrin77/media/Sale/DSCF2105_zpsi07da40t.jpg.html)http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s656/andrin77/Sale/DSCF2103_zpsaxwnhes2.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/andrin77/media/Sale/DSCF2103_zpsaxwnhes2.jpg.html)http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s656/andrin77/Sale/DSCF2102_zps8fb5m8g7.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/andrin77/media/Sale/DSCF2102_zps8fb5m8g7.jpg.html)
Top box is a full box of 30-06, second row is 30-40 Krag 7 live rounds 3 empty brass, 3rd row is 38-55 15 live rounds, last is a Split box of Remington 32-40 smokeless with 12 live rounds
Also a sealed can of Reloader 7

Should I just use the powders, or sell/trade them off? I really ain't into collecting this stuff.

swamp
01-03-2017, 09:48 PM
I would use what I can and sell or trade the rest.Just used the last of some Herters primers. As ;ong as it wprls I use it. I am using some Alcan powder that I was given. Looks and smells like new.
swamp

snowwolfe
01-03-2017, 10:20 PM
IMO worthless as collectibles. Enjoy shooting them up.

fatelk
01-03-2017, 10:40 PM
I have a bunch of stuff like that I've accumulated over the years too. Anything is "collectible" to the right person. I doubt any of it is particularly valuable, but the empty containers do have some value to the right person. The contents I'd just use up if they were still good.

Several years ago I got rid of a similar accumulation of empty containers, on ebay. It was just a random accumulation of old powder cans, primer and ammo boxes, old but nothing rare; enough to fill a flat-rate box as I recall. I don't remember what it went for but I think it was $30 or $40 for the lot. I was happy because I would have thrown it out otherwise. I can't even say how much of that kind of stuff I've thrown out over the years.

runfiverun
01-03-2017, 11:10 PM
some of those cans would look nice next to the ones I have just like them with different numbers on them.

I wouldn't hesitate to burn the powders inside them in some cases if it's still good.
the number-80 would take me a bit to find data for but the rest I know I have.

JimB..
01-03-2017, 11:16 PM
I keep thinking about setting some old cans up on a shelf in the man cave, so to me they have some value. Shipping the powder would make it prohibitively expensive, but if you want to sell the cans feel free to send me a PM.

rda72927
01-03-2017, 11:45 PM
I'm curious what you would want for the Hodgdon cans?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-04-2017, 12:27 AM
I bought some Alcan powders at a gunshow. It took some searching for data, but that AL-8 is a great powder for magnum pistol cartridges like 44 and 41, with heavy boolits. It's a square flake powder and isn't the most measure freindly powder, but with charges for 44 and 41 cal in the Lee disk measure mounted on a turret press, so it gets some motion/vibration, it did fine.

Steve77
01-04-2017, 05:13 PM
some of those cans would look nice next to the ones I have just like them with different numbers on them.

I wouldn't hesitate to burn the powders inside them in some cases if it's still good.

I keep thinking about setting some old cans up on a shelf in the man cave, so to me they have some value. Shipping the powder would make it prohibitively expensive, but if you want to sell the cans feel free to send me a PM.

I'm curious what you would want for the Hodgdon cans?

I'm not sure what they would be worth. I wouldn't mind selling or trading them if it is worth the time. I have some other old square metal cans, 2400, bullseye and probably a few others that aren't pictured.

JimB..
01-04-2017, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure what they would be worth. I wouldn't mind selling or trading them if it is worth the time. I have some other old square metal cans, 2400, bullseye and probably a few others that aren't pictured.

Probably not worth the time, but if you're like me you can't just toss something that someone else might need. I just found the base for a sweetheart era Stanley #30 divider in my shop, I don't own a #30. I'm searching for someone to give it to, it's just a 1"x6" piece of steel, but it's stamped which apparently makes it worth about $20. I'm giving it away to someone missing the part...just need to find them.

Anyway, quick look at eBay says value is between $3 and $3.50 per can. I'd take them all and cover shipping if that's what you want to do. Would do the same for anyone else, would like having a few dozen for the display.

shtur
01-07-2017, 10:13 PM
I loaded some primers that were purchased late 1970's. 2/3 did not go off. It's a little unnerving sitting at the bench waiting a sufficient time before opening the bolt to remove the cartridge that didn't go off. I would never buy or use primers that are older than 10 years.

Many shooters collect some of the older metal cans, including myself. Listing items with photo's on the S&S section might help you sell them. You might sell enough items to buy your next toy. Discard the items that didn't sell, if you choose to.

454PB
01-07-2017, 11:21 PM
I loaded some primers that were purchased late 1970's. 2/3 did not go off. It's a little unnerving sitting at the bench waiting a sufficient time before opening the bolt to remove the cartridge that didn't go off. I would never buy or use primers that are older than 10 years.

Many shooters collect some of the older metal cans, including myself. Listing items with photo's on the S&S section might help you sell them. You might sell enough items to buy your next toy. Discard the items that didn't sell, if you choose to.

That's interesting, many years ago I bought about 10,000 primers from a friend. Each brick had the original purchase date written on it. The oldest were from 1974, and I've shot several thousand of them without one misfire.

fatelk
01-08-2017, 04:16 AM
I've also used up thousands of very old primers over the last few decades, with almost never a problem or misfire. I guess I wouldn't use old primers for hunting or self defense but otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

jonp
01-08-2017, 07:57 AM

No 80 was a new one for me. "Sporting Rifle Powder No. 80.- a nitrocellulose powder adapted for loading standard, reduced and mid-range loads in black powder and smokeless powder rifle and revolver cartridges. Is of fine granulation, rather yellow white in color" Sounds like a winner to me. A yellow/white powder would be interesting to see.

https://books.google.com/books?id=0Os9AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=dupont+sporting+rifle+80&source=bl&ots=_PvQeEgf9w&sig=kI2S8GeUSi2XsytAP9mj4Nrh3EM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD_f28vrLRAhXGWSYKHRh8AS4Q6AEITzAM#v=on epage&q=dupont%20sporting%20rifle%2080&f=false

jeepyj
01-08-2017, 08:40 AM
I have quite a few older cans such as many shown. I keep stored properly and whenever I'm looking at data for a new caliber I look at in the box to see what the options are to use some up. It's a great way to give something a try without buying a new $30 can.
I will say that can housing the Unique does interest me. I thought I had most of the old one but that's one I don't have.
i've seen them selling several time on this site. As others have mentioned they generally don't bring big money. There worth more if you can use them for load development. That being said certainty do have value and someone would be willing to pay for a memory of yesterday.

Bent Ramrod
01-08-2017, 09:21 AM
DuPont SR-80 was the predecessor to SR-4759. They were both used for reduced loads with cast bullets, but are not interchangeable. Elmer Keith's heavy revolver loadings were first done with SR-80, but even he admitted it was rather hazardous practice. Although not strictly a "bulk" powder, is was soft and crumbly like the bulk powders, and the granules could break up in loaded cartridges from vibration, resulting in pressure spikes. Keith went to Hercules 2400 for heavy revolver loadings as soon as it became available.

It looks sort of like "Amdro" ant poison, maybe a little yellower. The process for making such powders involved dissolving the nitrocellulose in some heavier than water solvent, putting the solution under water and boiling until the solvent was gone. The nitrocellulose was left in the bottom of the kettle as a yellow granular material that burned, rather than the original light fibrous material that detonated. Colloiding the nitrocellulose with alcohol and ether and extruding it made a denser powder and was less time intensive to manufacture, so the earlier process was dropped. I think Bulk Shotgun was the last powder so made; they quit selling that in the early Sixties.

Properly loaded, SR-80 is a great powder for obsolete cartridges like the .32 Long, the .22 WCF and the .25-20 SS. When burned, it has an indescribable, delicious aroma, kind of like Eley primed .22s. If you can find some, it is interesting to play around with.

I like those square cans for storage, and transfer newly purchased powders from their overly bulky and space-wasting round jars to empty square cans (with the same number or name on the label) so I can get them into my powder storage box.

I've used 60-year-old primers with few problems; at worst an occasional one will need a second snap to fire it off.

richhodg66
01-08-2017, 11:00 AM
I cleared out all my Dad's stuff recently. Among other things, I have about four or five pounds of Alcan 120. Apparently wasn't a popular powder when new, but it's still good and I managed to find enough data that it burns very close to Red Dot. I've been using it in .38 Special and .45 Colt so far, no problems.

lightman
01-08-2017, 11:13 AM
JimB has a good idea and I hope you guys can work a deal. If my man cave/loading room was big enough I would make a display of vintage stuff like that. I think its pretty cool.

As far as using those primers and powder, I would do so without hesitation. Stored properly, they last just about forever. Probably would not use it for anything very serious like home defense but it could make for some cheap plinking.

Steve77
01-08-2017, 09:31 PM
I have quite a few older cans such as many shown. I keep stored properly and whenever I'm looking at data for a new caliber I look at in the box to see what the options are to use some up. It's a great way to give something a try without buying a new $30 can.
I will say that can housing the Unique does interest me. I thought I had most of the old one but that's one I don't have.
i've seen them selling several time on this site. As others have mentioned they generally don't bring big money. There worth more if you can use them for load development. That being said certainty do have value and someone would be willing to pay for a memory of yesterday.

I have around 80 or so miscellaneous 1 pound cans of vintage powders. I try to use them as much as possible for my plinking loads. Same goes for my old primers. I need to see how many of these powders I can use up so I can sell off the empty cans. I'm not a big fan of storing powder in non original containers, and hate to throw any of it away. So I'll need to spend some time at the bench as soon as possible to load up a bunch of practice ammo so I can use up the powder.

JimB..
01-09-2017, 12:28 AM
I have around 80 or so miscellaneous 1 pound cans of vintage powders. I try to use them as much as possible for my plinking loads. Same goes for my old primers. I need to see how many of these powders I can use up so I can sell off the empty cans. I'm not a big fan of storing powder in non original containers, and hate to throw any of it away. So I'll need to spend some time at the bench as soon as possible to load up a bunch of practice ammo so I can use up the powder.

No rush. I did load a bunch this weekend but had time to clean up and will start working on a display case next weekend, have a great place to hang it.