PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Range shooting

skeettx
01-03-2017, 07:06 PM
As I am getting older and the weather seems to getting colder or hotter and the winds seem to
be blowing harder, I find myself doing a lot more indoor shooting.

Any one else shoot indoors?

Our range will allow up to 44 Mag energies, nothing exotic

http://www.texaspanhandlepistolclub.com/

Cost me about $60 a year :)
PLUS I get enough range brass to make up the $60.

We get to shoot from 6 in the morning to 10 at night 365 days a year.
No extra fees, only annual and NRA if not life member.

Mike

dannyd
01-03-2017, 07:14 PM
I shoot two nights a week.

B. Lumpkin
01-03-2017, 07:33 PM
I'd love to have an indoor range with those membership dues and hours of operation. I am a member of a private range, but it is outdoor and the dues are $245 per year. Shoot sun up to sun down 365 days a year.

Tatume
01-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Sounds nice. How far are the target stands?

kayala
01-03-2017, 07:43 PM
I shoot 95% indoors (closest range to me - about 15 min, high tech, very good ventilation). Closest outdoors range is over an hour drive - I go there to chrono my loads or when I feel adventurous enough for 100+ yds. Always wear double ear protection indoors, cause you'll never know when your neighbor might have some fancy muzzle break on his/her rifle. $60/year is nothing - my range is charging $35/month or $15 per visit, but not much choice around here...

skeettx
01-03-2017, 07:51 PM
from 3 yards to 50 feet, crank adjustable

Mike

for you folks who do NOT have locations listed, where is around here????

kayala
01-03-2017, 07:56 PM
from 3 yards to 50 feet, crank adjustable

Mike

for you folks who do NOT have locations listed, where is around here????

That be Loudoun County, Virginia.

runfiverun
01-03-2017, 08:16 PM
the nearest indoor range to me is about 80 miles away.
they do allow you to shoot a 50 bmg in there if you want.
it looks like 50-60 yds from the line to the furthest target distance and I'm sure if you touch off a 50 in there you'll be alone in about 10 seconds.
PASS.

if it's that cold I just put the softener on the window of the truck lean my arms on it and turn the trucks heater up another click.

dragon813gt
01-03-2017, 08:29 PM
There are two indoor ranges by me. One is about fifteen minutes away I don't go there because it's shady. The place has been shut down many times for all sorts of violations. I've been told the current owners are on the up and up but it's history prevents me from going.

The second one is about half an hour away. Membership and hourly fees are ridiculous. You can't shoot by yourself. They've had to many, more than one, suicides. You always have to wait for a lane to open. And the ventilation is marginal.

There is a third one on Wednesday night at the one club I belong to. It's just the clubhouse w/ the tables and chairs moved to the side. Zero ventilation besides what naturally leaks in and out of building. They only run it during the winter so the heater is on. It's a really unsafe place to shoot IMO.

There are two outdoor ranges w/in fifteen minutes of my house. I will go to them in all but the worse weather. Ventilation is a big deal for me. Very few places are setup for the proper amount of air exchanges. There is to much risk of lead exposure for me to shoot in them. Would be nice if someone in the area spent the money and built a modern indoor range.

PaulG67
01-03-2017, 08:56 PM
I used to shoot at an indoor range, membership allowed one to shoot 24 hrs a day, every day. It was about a ten mile ride from home, but at that time is was a cheap place to shoot. membership was 50 a year, Now it is about 250 a year since they had to install a new air filtration system due to some local complaints. I have not been there in years.

tazman
01-03-2017, 08:58 PM
I have 3 indoor ranges within 40 miles of me. Muscatine, Ia, Monmouth, IL, and Milan, IL. All have 25 yards available. Only one (Monmouth)allows magnum or higher and that one allows up to 308 rifle.
All the nearby ranges are great places to shoot.
The one I use the most is the rifle club in Milan. It has 2 indoor ranges. One 50 foot the other 25 yards. The 25 yard range has electric movable targets. The other has stationary but at different distances.
The best part is since it is a club, every member has the combination to the door and you can shoot in the indoor ranges anytime it isn't in use for a scheduled event or practice. 24 hours a day access.
My dues as a senior at $75($175 for adults) a year plus NRA dues. There are also outdoor pistol, 2-rifle, 1-benchrest, and walled ranges available during daylight hours. There is a special competition range set up as well but is only used for events.
The long rifle range goes to 600 yards. The short rifle range is 200 yards. The benchrest is 25 to 180 yards currently and has a 3 sided covered building to shoot from.
The club grounds are well maintained and the buildings are heated and well ventilated.
There are over 1300 members at this club currently, but I seldom have trouble getting a slot to shoot.
http://www.milanrifle.club/
Are you jealous yet?

Finster101
01-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Plain and simply, I hate them.

Boolseye
01-03-2017, 09:09 PM
I have shot plenty at outr local indoor range (50 ft.). It's OK, I do .22 bullseye league there still.
I prefer outdoor shooting-keep in mind lead dust in the air, from shooting and particularly from sweeping up. a mask is a good plan.

Boolseye
01-03-2017, 09:13 PM
I have shot plenty at outr local indoor range (50 ft.). It's OK, I do .22 bullseye league there still.
I prefer outdoor shooting-keep in mind lead dust in the air, from shooting and particularly from sweeping up. a mask is a good plan.

they do allow you to shoot a 50 bmg in there if you want.
That's nuts!

RP
01-03-2017, 09:48 PM
In the last few years we have had two indoor ranges open and one outdoor that been around for heck 10 years or more. The indoors are small ranges maybe 25 feet for the people that just like to go bang bang I guess. The outdoor range is 100 yard rifle and pistol on one side you have to drive around and shoot at another place is 200 they say. Pile of dirt across some mud hole they dug dirt for the berms and a bench kind of a joke. The rates on all of them are to high for me since there is to many areas people can shoot around. City people are the main people using them.

BUTT for bucks a year I would be all over that enjoy it while it last.

GhostHawk
01-03-2017, 09:55 PM
I live in Fargo North Dakota and up here we have the Red River Regional Marksmanship Center.

Seperate rifle and pistol ranges, indoors. Premium membership is 200$ a year with no other fee's of any sort. Pistol has 20 bays, rifle has six, 3 electronic and 3 paper. Rifle range is actually underground in sections of large concrete box culvert. Nice setup, good people, top notch staff, never seen an issue there, never felt unsafe.

I don't get out there as often as I like as I dislike driving on busy icy roads, or going out in the cold for that matter.

sigep1764
01-03-2017, 10:01 PM
I shoot pretty exclusively at an indoor range. $275 for 13 months, no other fees unless you buy their targets. They sell primers as well and the owners own the pawn shop and gun store right next door. Range members get a discount at both businesses on everything except guns. Up to 75 ft with digital target pulleys and they have lanes that turn and flash as well. Just right for pistol and short range rifle work with the ar and 22lr squirrel-getters. If anyone in St. Louis wants to try it out, pm me and ill take care of the daily fee for non members.

DerekP Houston
01-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Houston weather? I'm at the indoor range more often than not. It costs a bit more and the lanes are timed but I'm usually done after an hour anyways.

JSnover
01-03-2017, 10:48 PM
There is a pretty good indoor range near me. $20 per person as long as you're safe they don't bother you (all lanes are monitored by CCTV) but it's only 25 yards.

opos
01-03-2017, 11:43 PM
We have two outstanding indoor lanes in the San Diego area..one is near new...both have handgun ranges to 25 yards and indoor rifle ranges to 100 yards...they offer excellent air exchange and ventilation...both are open long hours and both are very well run...it's about $15 an hour to shoot...22's to big rifles work...the one has a full trap range outdoors (not sure about the other one)...crowds on the weekends are an issue but daytimes from time they open for couple of hours is not bad at all..Staffs are great and the retail store sides are large and complete with lots of guns for sale and a good selection for rent...ear protection is critical..i double up with plugs and muffs.

Project 2k is where I shoot.....http://www.p2krange.com/

Poway is the new one..it's a bit farther away for me......https://www.weaponsandgearrange.com/

opos
01-03-2017, 11:46 PM
We have two outstanding indoor lanes in the San Diego area..one is near new...both have handgun ranges to 25 yards and indoor rifle ranges to 100 yards...they offer excellent air exchange and ventilation...both are open long hours and both are very well run...it's about $15 an hour to shoot...22's to big rifles work...the one has a full trap range outdoors (not sure about the other one)...crowds on the weekends are an issue but daytimes from time they open for couple of hours is not bad at all..Staffs are great and the retail store sides are large and complete with lots of guns for sale and a good selection for rent...ear protection is critical..i double up with plugs and muffs.

P2K is where I normally shoot....http://www.p2krange.com/

Poway is the new range and I hear it is terrific but it's a bit further for me.....https://www.weaponsandgearrange.com/

mdi
01-04-2017, 01:08 PM
The only place to shoot when I lived in/around Los Angeles were indoor ranges. There were/are outdoor ranges (3) but the closest was a 1+ hour freeway drive from my house. I managed to shoot about 3 times per month and the cost was, IIRC about $10.00 per session (usually as long as I wanted) and the ranges were 50', powered retrieve of targets, well lit. That lasted mebbe 17 years or so and nope, I ain't got lead poisoning...

reddog81
01-04-2017, 01:33 PM
I prefer outdoor unless it's freezing. It's no fun to be outdoor shooting when it's 10 degrees out.

The indoor ranges near near me are OK but they can be crowded the clientele can be annoying. The lady next to me last time at the range kept hitting the ceiling. She couldn't find any holes on the target and get bringing it closer and closer. I let them know what she was hitting but they didn't seem to believe me.

01-04-2017, 03:37 PM
I prefer outdoor unless it's freezing. It's no fun to be outdoor shooting when it's 10 degrees out.

The indoor ranges near near me are OK but they can be crowded the clientele can be annoying. The lady next to me last time at the range kept hitting the ceiling. She couldn't find any holes on the target and get bringing it closer and closer. I let them know what she was hitting but they didn't seem to believe me.

We have several high quality indoor ranges that have opened in this area. Unfortunately they have become very popular and in addition to suffering from the same things you mentioned, it's stupid loud and crazy crowded to the point of being too nerve racking for me to enjoy myself. On top of that some do gooder is always a little too quick with the broom despite telling them I want to pickup my brass. They sweep it forward before I can recover it even when I only shoot 5 rounds at a time to have a sporting chance of recovering my brass. I'm going to need a handgun brass catcher if I shoot there. I have to try to figure out what the off peak time to go is or freeze outdoor at the club I belong to.

reddog81
01-04-2017, 03:52 PM
I feel ya 6622729, I always try to stand next to the far right wall so my brass collects near my feet and makes it harder for others to sweep up. And people shooting their new super tactical AR pistol at 10 yards is beyond obnoxious. Every target on the range gets blasted by the concussion.

Tom W.
01-04-2017, 05:04 PM
I use an indoor range that's about 8 miles from me. I bought a handgun there and am currently a paid member. I can pretty much shoot whatever handgun I want, but I believe there is a limit as to .454, .480. And rifle rounds in an encore or contender. If I want to rent a pistol or revolver I must use on site purchased ammo. Usually after shooting I'll buy a Pepsi. Costs me less than a dollar

robg
01-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Our club is in an old railway tunnel targets 25/50/100/150 and 200 meters £250 a year no other fees .open Wednesday Saturday Sunday, does corporate days ,has a shop and will order anything you want at competive prices.if the weather is good I do prefer outdoor shooting .you can shoot up to 20mm ,that's more than some military ranges over here.I use ear plugs and muffs 50 cal are bloody loud in there.

gwpercle
01-04-2017, 05:22 PM
since 1982 , I helped draw the building plans for the first in town. Was given a free 1 year membership and participated in a NRA Bullseye Shooting League. Lately I had been driving out to free outdoor range , 45 minute drive , until last August . It was so HOT and so HUMID I decided to pay the fee and shoot indoors. It was so worth the money I will have to think long and hard about going back to the outdoor range again.
I don't care what anybody says....the greatest invention in my lifetime is affordable central Air Conditioning with Heating coming in second ! I well remember home , school , church and cars not having any HVAC. The local movie had AC and we would the entire Saturday there watching three movies and a cartoon. Forget sliced bread or getting a man on the moon...AC rocks in the South.

ole 5 hole group
01-04-2017, 05:32 PM
In my opinion, you can't do better than an indoor range for load development, both for the handgun or rifle. Getting to the range prior to the song birds awaking is probably as good for load development, if one is an early bird.

Funny how those groups magically open up, later in the day.;) For most of us anyway.

Kraschenbirn
01-04-2017, 06:26 PM
Only indoor range within 50 miles is about 5 minutes from my door. Been inside exactly once, just long enough to read their posted rules/rates: NO 'lead' bullets, NO handloads, and NO 'draw-from-holster' allowed. Individual membership (does not include immediate family) is $400/yr. with free unlimited range time on weekdays and discount on week-end rates ($20/hr instead of $35).

Bill

mdi
01-05-2017, 01:31 PM
My high school buddy's dad was a member of the Compton Rod and Gun Club, back in the '60s. When the state was building a freeway next to the club's property, someone had the great idea to lay some 4' cement sewer pipe and let the state cover it up. The club had a 100 yard x 4' tunnel under the Long Beach Freeway to shoot in!

fecmech
01-05-2017, 04:54 PM
I have an indoor range about 4 miles from the house for $80/yr. It is a swipe card deal to get in the club and it's a 10 point 50' range with good ventilation(but it does suck the heat out). I only use it here in the winter time. You can shoot anything up to 1400 fps and the club supplies targets for pistol,sporter rifle and smallbore rifle. We have turning targets which is nice. They have an olympic setting that turns the targets face for 2 seconds then edge for 7 secs then back again to face. Nice for defensive carry practice putting time and pressure on the shooter. I usually go over 1 or 2 times a week in the winter. I generally have the range to myself if I go over during the day.

Tom W.
01-05-2017, 09:12 PM
I went to the range today. I always wonder why I bring more empty brass home than full brass that I took?

mdi
01-06-2017, 01:01 PM
I went to the range today. I always wonder why I bring more empty brass home than full brass that I took? Mitosis! Activated upon firing...

Tom W.
01-06-2017, 02:52 PM
I thought it was because I was in Georgia shooting and the brass was doing the hanky panky when I wasn't looking.