PDA

View Full Version : TC Cheap Shot Sabots

archeryrob
01-03-2017, 04:03 PM
I thought I would post a review for anyone looking for bullets.

I bought the Lee REAL mold and wanted to cast and test them before hunting season, but it just never got finished. So, I went to Wally's World and bought a pack of these and sighted in and grouped really good with them with 80 grains of 3f at 100 yards. I bought these as I thought Power belts were way over priced and I should give these a try.

So I went hunting with them and shot a big fat doe. I must have jerked the trigger as at 60 yards I shot right and hit the front leg. It literally destroyed the top of the front leg and the bottom of the scapula bone. I mean they were gone and nothing but chips where left. I only saw one hole in the hide, so knew it did not exit and lost energy on the leg breaking. When butchering I found the chip in the front leg and the main bullet went through the lungs, broke one rib and stopped in the flank meat under the skin. Other chips must have been in the internals as I clearly don't have all the original weight.

For "cheap" bullets I was fairly impressed with the expansion. Of course I got extra from the bone crushing. The round ring is the A$$ end of the bullet and concaved, I guess, during expansion

tdoyka
01-03-2017, 05:13 PM
i used to use powerbelts too. until i did the same thing, except the bullet did exit. my tc encore 50 cal ml likes a .430" 275gr ranch dog(around 12bhn/coww) in a sabot with two pyrodex pellets. my flintlock still likes to a 173ish gr roundball over 2f.

GoexBlackhorn
01-03-2017, 07:47 PM
T/C Cheapshots and Hornady XTP regular 240s, when purchased in bulk and not shot with heavy, magnum powder charges, are two of the best values in muzzleloader bullets.

BTW.... the 295gr+ copper HPs, Platinums and Aerolite Powerbelts are fine too, when not shot with over 90gr of powder. The rest of the Powerbelt lineup is not recommended (by me anyways).

OnHoPr
01-06-2017, 05:41 AM
In the faster twist inlines, basically from what have experienced and read any of the sabots will do minute of deer with just about any 44 or 45 200 gr and up cast boolit. If you start going over around 90 to 100 grs you will probably need to stiffen up the pure Pb with 25 to 50% WW. So, those should work well. The twist makes a difference in which projectile to consider. Though, you have to start experimenting when you want to go from 5" groups @ 100 yd to 3" to 1" groups. That suggest different sabots, boolits, powders, charges, loading techniques, etc. My all around go to load is the Harvester sabot, the Lee 44 240 RN cast 66/33 Pb/WW, and 120 gr of PDex Select, just seems more lethal out to moderate ranges.