PDA

View Full Version : Tax Software

MT Gianni
01-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Been using Turbo Tax but this it says it will not work on Windows 7 machines. Anything else good, cheap and easy?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-03-2017, 11:56 AM
I have used HR Block 'online' for the last 3 years and it's been trouble free.
prior to that, I had an accountant, due to being self-employed.

ole 5 hole group
01-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Turbo Tax worked on Win 7 last year and I just checked and their site shows you're good to go.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901571-minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-windows-software

MT Gianni
01-03-2017, 08:39 PM
It says good to go but when I purchased it and downloaded it they told me I needed to upgrade from 7 to 10.

paul h
01-03-2017, 09:16 PM
That's a bummer, I've used turbo tax for years. I hate windows 10 and refuse to upgrade from Windows 7 professional as there is software I run that requires Windows 7 pro.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401704-turbotax-2016-for-windows-does-not-meet-system-requirements-on-windows-7

dragon813gt
01-03-2017, 09:28 PM
I've never downloaded it and just did it all online through a browser. It's easy to do even w/ a bunch of deductions.

Hick
01-03-2017, 11:24 PM
I bought the disk version (from Costco)-- It runs on Windows 7-- maybe just the online download version is the problem??

MT Gianni
01-04-2017, 12:09 AM
Yea it is an Amazon download and Turbo Tax help says to cancel it and ask for a disc. I'll keep you folks up on the results.

Handloader109
01-04-2017, 12:47 AM
I used h&r a couple of years but changed to taxact been using them for 5 or 6 years, no issue. I don't really like a web version, had issues changing o adding to my filing. if you can do in one sitting then OK.

Down South
01-04-2017, 08:36 PM
I'm still running Vista and Turbo tax works. I've used Tax Act before too but I couldn't find one form that I needed and I wound back up at Turbo Tax.

MT Gianni
01-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Amazon told me to delete the uninstallable program and ask intuit to send me a check. 4-6 week wait. If I had 7 or Vista I would get a disc not a download.

popper
01-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Taxact works pretty good but not all forms - you can download from IRS and mail the return.. Turbotax wants $$ for the version with all the forms. Last 2 years i used TT I had problems and got letters from IRS. I refuse to use it anymore. I might try H&R this time.

woody290
01-05-2017, 01:44 PM
I've been using H&R Block for years now and have not had any problems with it. It seemed easier to use than TurboTax when I tried them both.

jonp
01-05-2017, 09:07 PM
I've used Turbo for several years now. No problems with my system. I also do it online and it saves where I left off when I want to quit for a day or two.

Down South
01-05-2017, 09:08 PM
I've used Turbo for several years now. No problems with my system. I also do it online and it saves where I left off when I want to quit for a day or two.

Same here. I normally work on my taxes of a period of several days.

GlockGuy
01-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Been using H&R Block online last couple years

MUSTANG
01-13-2017, 11:38 PM
Any ideas on a Tax Software that will work with Windows XP? Need one that supports 1040 with stock/dividends and Rentals.

I have used Turbo Tax for many years, last year it worked with XP, this year Intuit says "NO GO" on Turbo Tax and XP. I had bought the Turbo Tax at Costco; but took it back for a refund before I opened it. Looking on the Internet haven't found one yet, and I do not want to use "ON LINE" Tax preparation as that puts all your personal data/info out there on someones server and potentially for the entire world to see. I have always prepared locally, printed, and mailed to IRS instead of Electronic Filing.

dbosman
01-14-2017, 05:13 PM
If you're concerned about hackers, using Windows XP makes you more of a target than online tax prep software.

Talk to your local librarian. Ask if their computers are setup with Deep Freeze or other software that wipes any changes made, at each reboot. Deep Freeze is the most popular software used on public computers to keep patrons from infesting them. Copy your tax software to a flash drive and store your returns on that. At the library, install your software, let the updates install, and have at your return. Make sure to save to the flash drive every ten to twenty minutes. You'll have to repeat the install again to access your returns again. They will be safe though, as when you log off, Deep Freeze restores the computer to the settings it was loaded with and 'frozen' to.

Save your return as a PDF file, so you can print from home.

Any ideas on a Tax Software that will work with Windows XP? Need one that supports 1040 with stock/dividends and Rentals.
I do not want to use "ON LINE" Tax preparation as that puts all your personal data/info out there on someones server and potentially for the entire world to see. I have always prepared locally, printed, and mailed to IRS instead of Electronic Filing.

dragon813gt
01-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Hate to break it to you but if you use a bank or file a tax return all your info is online. The IRS has all your information and so do the banks. An enterprising hacker has access to it if they get past their security. No one is safe.