PDA

View Full Version : Cross slide/ compound tables

bravokilo
03-28-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm going to need one of these to make my milling head useful. I see plenty of them for sale in the $50-$150 range. Are they any good? Does anybody have a particular one they can recommend? Any to avoid? It won't see a lot of heavy use, but I do need it to be accurate. Thanks!

BK

Buckshot
03-28-2005, 10:44 PM
...........They're mostly suitable for use in a drillpress. Even the mill-drills that some guys bitch about have it all over these. But, then again how accurate do you need to be? If it's a couple thou over a few inches then one of the heavier units will probably do the job. It also helps if you're not climb milling in them, or hogging.

The best accuracy will be obtained by locking down the 'Y' gib if milling on the 'X' axis, and vise-versa. For plunge cuts, lock EVERYTHING down :lol:

When you get right down to it though, they're a heckuva lot better then nothing!

............Buckshot

StarMetal
03-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Dog gone Buckshot....I didn't know you and the Duke were pardners.

Joe

carpetman
03-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Buckshot---That avatar pic of you and Marion Morrison looks pretty good. Most folks know Marion as John Wayne,but me and ol Marion go so far back,that's all I've ever called him.

Scrounger
03-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Dog gone Buckshot....I didn't know you and the Duke were pardners.

Joe

Damn, Buckshot. Looks like you got 6 inches taller since I last saw you.!

This calls for war, CarpetMan, use your picture of you and Martha Raye. I'll see if I can find my picture with Raquel Welch...

Scrounger
03-29-2005, 02:35 PM
It is a little known fact that John Wayne was the second choice for the lead in "Rio Grande". They really wanted CarpetMan but he had his heart set on a military career. Duty Called. Here is one of the out takes from his screen test:

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/Scrounger/carpetman1.jpg

wills
03-29-2005, 07:10 PM
No, that is from the patent application for his do it yourself circumcision jig.

Scrounger
03-29-2005, 07:44 PM
He's obviously had a lot of experience herding sheep...

carpetman
03-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Wills--No the knife used in the operation is much larger.

C1PNR
03-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Wills--No the knife used in the operation is much larger.
Yeah, but no sharper than that 1860 LIGHT Cavalry Sabre!! :shock:

CMan, are they still playing hockey there in San Angelo? I'm going to the Steelheads game with my Brother and Son this Saturday. They're (Steelheads) still in the playoff hunt! :D

carpetman
03-30-2005, 01:45 AM
C1PNR--Yes indeed still playing hockey in San Angelo. We are in the midst of the playoffs. We went into the last two regular season games #1,but things were so bottlenecked,even with a cross milling table jig(or whatever topic we are on to be on topic)you couldnt unjam things. We lost the final two games and every team we wanted to lose,won their game. We wound up as the number 4 seed so we have to play last years winner--Laredo in the first round. Same thing happened last year and they beat us 4 straight. We have played them 2 games in the best of 7 series this year and they won both---very close games.. We play them here Fri and Sat night and hope to win both---should we lose both, things are over. I bought advance tickets for the playoff games---could of been a maximum of 12 home games and as few as two. They refund for the games not played. There is a question about next year. To assist in making their decision to stay,I have bought season tickets already.

shooter575
03-30-2005, 03:51 PM
carpetman
I still cant get over Texans and Flordians talking about the "local" hockey teams It just dont seem right.
Other than CCHA here ain't got none. We had a team in Detroit years ago.Think were called the red somthing :D

BTW Nice horsie

C1PNR
03-31-2005, 09:00 PM
carpetman
I still cant get over Texans and Flordians talking about the "local" hockey teams It just dont seem right.
Other than CCHA here ain't got none. We had a team in Detroit years ago.Think were called the red somthing :D

BTW Nice horsie
If you like that, you'll really like this.

The Idaho Steelheads (going to the game Saturday night with my Brother and Son) are in the "ECHL," that's the East Coast Hockey League! :shock: Can't get a lot farther West than here, a little, but not THAT far! Of course, Fresno CA is in the same League, so what the heck. 8)

carpetman
04-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Last night we had our first home playoff game. Heck of a game. We won 3-0. The opponents looked like they had been caught up in a cross slide compound table. So the series will go atleast 5 games. Have home game tonight and if we can win it series will be tied 2 apiece. Heck yes playing hockey in San Angelo,in fact we had better hockey here this year than what they had in Dallas. One nice thing about these lower level teams is it's affordable. I could not afford to go to Dallas Star games---when they have a season.

wills
04-02-2005, 10:54 PM
carpetman

BTW Nice horsie

More evidence of the decline in our society

carpetman
04-03-2005, 03:03 AM
wooo hooo we shut em out again tonight 2-0. series tied 2 apiece.

C1PNR
04-03-2005, 04:04 AM
wooo hooo we shut em out again tonight 2-0. series tied 2 apiece.
Good for Youse Guys! We won, too, but it was no shutout, 4 to 2!! San Diego played hard, but a home crowd is tough to beat!!

Now hope we can get some playoff tickets!! I'm just afraid they'll bring in a "cross slide/compound table" and catch us off (the machine) guard!! :shock:

carpetman
04-06-2005, 01:37 PM
The hockey series has gotten more interesting than a cross slide compound table with a leaf in it. We lost at their place in overtime Monday night. We had to come from behind in last seconds to tie for the overtime. The series was 3-2(them). Last night was home game---do or die. Our goalie shut them out again. He has shut them out here,three times. We have not won at their place. Tomorrow night is there and it's the final---series tied at 3-3.

C1PNR
04-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Wishing your team the BEST OF LUCK!!

The first playoff game I get to go to is about 10 days, don't remember quite exactly when right now. I guess it is still some up in the air about our seed. Hope we're 3rd seed so we don't have to play the 1st seed right off.:)

bravokilo
04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
LOL!!! I don't think I can change the main title!! Buckshot, thanks for the one pertinent answer! Mad? No, the pic of Carpetman on his horsey was well worth it!! Take it away guys!!! BTW, I learned a long time ago NEVER, EVER subscribe to a thread!

BK

Buckshot
04-08-2005, 05:12 AM
...............Bravokilo, I'm glad you're accepting of having your thread totally hijacked and can just deal with these hoodlums around here[smilie=b::coffee: On the old board the same thing happened after one response to a first time poster. I thought it was pretty dang funny, but at the same time I felt kind of bad. I thought the poor guy might feel slighted or something so I e-mailed him rather light heartedly, and suggested that after he'd hung around awile he'd see that EVERYONE does care and it's just that we were all pretty comfortable around each other, and it wasn't unusual for things to sometimes go aftaglay.

I also make a kind of joking post about how fast the thread de-railed and got off on some tangent. I said I thought the poor guy might have been astounded by that (or words to that effect). Naturally I got the 'Cop' treatment from a couple who took me a bit too seriously, rather then reading it as I'd posted it.

Anyway, it surprised me that the poster DID respond to my earlier e-mail, and seemed rather snippy about it. He thanked me but said that he just didn't feel that he'd enjoy being a part of such a thing and was serious in his request for information. He said he didn't feel we were 'serious enough'[ for him, and asked me to remove him from the list!

Well that kind of pissed me off after I'd explained that he would see there was a lot if knowledgable folks around that were happy to share, etc. I e-mailed him back and said I couldn't do that, he'd have to and I did ask that he re-consider and maybe do some exploring on the board amongst the various posts. I wasn't going to chase after him as I've given that up. But I did want him to see that it was a nice comfortable board and no one was going to jump you for being a bit off topic on occasion.

Some people just take the whole thing to dern serious I guess. [smilie=p:

Glad to see you're not one!

...................Buckshot

carpetman
04-08-2005, 01:40 PM
We lost the series in game 7 last night. An overtime thriller at their place. Our season is over and Laredo will now play Amarillo in the series.

carpetman
04-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Not much hockey news going on,so there is plenty of room here for other stuff. Heck if someone wanted to post about some off the wall something like compound cross slide tables jump right in.

Scrounger
04-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Not much hockey news going on,so there is plenty of room here for other stuff. Heck if someone wanted to post about some off the wall something like compound cross slide tables jump right in.

Did you say jump???

wills
04-08-2005, 04:00 PM
What buckshot said, sort of. Now I personally would not know a cross slide / compound table any more than Carpetman could tell a Rambouillet from a Moreno but I might like to have one for the drill press I am trying to learn to use., Buckshot says that is what they are good for. What do you do with a cross slide / compound table, anyway?

Scrounger
04-08-2005, 05:52 PM
What buckshot said, sort of. Now I personally would not know a cross slide / compound table any more than Carpetman could tell a Rambouillet from a Moreno but I might like to have one for the drill press I am trying to learn to use., Buckshot says that is what they are good for. What do you do with a cross slide / compound table, anyway?

I'm starting to believe Waksupi...

No_1
04-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Wills,

As you may have gathered from the previous post, it attaches to the table of your drill press. To simplify it's action, By turning the 2 hand wheels located on it's sides it moves left/right and front/back in an accuate manner. You clamp/bolt/attach the item you wish to drill to it then turn the handles until your drill bit is exactly where you want it to be. No more trying to "bump" the item around to get it "just right" after you clamp it down.

I have heard of people using it in conjuction with their drill press to do very light milling and it may do ok but it will not be as precise as a real milling machine. BUT, using this setup in your drill press as a milling machine would let you know if you wish to lay down the long green to purchase a real milling machine. As Buckshot has mentioned there are many mill/drills available to the hobby home machinist that are very affordable and will do exactly what any hobby machinist would want to do. I myself prefer to use the commercial machines since I am looking for the .0000 precision which can only be obtained on those.

Please understand I am not the all knowing machinist if there is such a thing. I do have an understanding of machining because I started messing with those things when I was about 9 working in my uncle's commercial machine shop every spare moment I had. I had a real facination with mechanical things and needed a place to fuel my desire. Working there lead to an apprenticeship at Charleston Naval Shipyard as an outside machinist then a job change to NAVAIR where we do one off prototype stuff.

If you have anymore questions, I would be more than happy trying it answer them.

Robert

NRA Life Member
Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club Life Member

shooter575
04-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Heck, I will bite.
Here is a pic of a 8" X,Y rotary table I bought from tha estate of a buddy. I had borrowed it 20 years ago for a bit and allways wanted it. Had to pay 65.00 for it. Think I did well. I thought it was a Craftsman from the mid 50s.But after I bought it I looked and no name??? Has nice adjustable gibbs. Little backlash an the screws. All steel and iron. About 30 lb worth.
Now all I need to do is finish putting together that basket case Index knee mill and watch out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/xytable.jpg

waksupi
04-08-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm starting to believe Waksupi...

Told ya so. Saw it right off...

Buckshot
04-09-2005, 08:14 AM
.................Shooter575, that's a rotary compound table[smilie=w:. Gotcher X, Y and 360* rotary feature. Looks like a nice old piece. Backlash isn't bad so long as you dial it out and zero before your moves.

My grandfather had an old Craftsman drillpress that I used as a milling machine and it never groaned once. Of course it wasn't no $49 HF Chinkawanese benchtop dealie either. A drill press quill isn't really designed for sideways pressure of milling, but that old Craftsman just hummed right along [smilie=2:

This was many years ago and I'd bought a HF compound vise for $49. A couple years ago I went completely through it and surprisingly enough it was actually machined quite well. After I'd replaced all the trashy fasteners, stoned the gib strips and installed locks it was halfway useable. I even got fancy and installed some Gitts ball oilers so you could feed it some way lube once in awile. I'm an oiler!

.................Buckshot

shooter575
04-09-2005, 09:17 PM
This was many years ago and I'd bought a HF compound vise for $49. A couple years ago I went completely through it and surprisingly enough it was actually machined quite well. After I'd replaced all the trashy fasteners, stoned the gib strips and installed locks it was halfway useable. I even got fancy and installed some Gitts ball oilers so you could feed it some way lube once in awile. I'm an oiler!

.................Buckshot
==============================

Yup,
What I beleeve now is a piece equptment is just a kit.Some more put togther more than others. Problem is to figure which ones to put your effort into.Many are just not worth the effort.Prefect example is the Chit-com 4x6 bandsaw.I have seen some that will cut square out of the box,I have seen some that wont. How much time it takes to make one usefull can be the killer. I do feel sorry for the guy that cant figure out or fix anything.[guess they play golf] :] I had a OLD craftsman like a 3x5 bandsaw given to me by a guy that just could not get it to cut anywhere near square. I finely got it to cut pretty good ,sure took a while though. And that is with a real USofA made piece. Go figure

carpetman
04-10-2005, 11:47 PM
I heard a stat tonight tht was hard to believe at first,but after thinking about it--maybe so??? There are more pro hockey teams in Texas than in Canada.

shooter575
04-11-2005, 12:22 AM
carpetman I heard a stat tonight tht was hard to believe at first,but after thinking about it--maybe so??? There are more pro hockey teams in Texas than in Canada.
===============
Heck,There may be more texans than canucks? Who woulda figured

Scrounger
04-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Deleted

Scrounger
04-11-2005, 12:29 AM
:grin: Do you know how to tell a Texican from a Mexican? The Mexican has the bull----- on the outside of the boots... :grin:

C1PNR
04-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Trying to get this back to proper OT subject matter!!

Dang!! We lost the last two games in Bakersfield.:mad:
Now the Idaho Steelheads are seeded third and don't have a home game until the 16th. Playing Long Beach. Sure does sound like an EAST Coast Hockey League, NOT!:???:

wills
04-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Wills,

As you may have gathered from the previous post, it attaches to the table of your drill press. To simplify it's action, By turning the 2 hand wheels located on it's sides it moves left/right and front/back in an accuate manner. You clamp/bolt/attach the item you wish to drill to it then turn the handles until your drill bit is exactly where you want it to be. No more trying to "bump" the item around to get it "just right" after you clamp it down.

I have heard of people using it in conjuction with their drill press to do very light milling and it may do ok but it will not be as precise as a real milling machine. BUT, using this setup in your drill press as a milling machine would let you know if you wish to lay down the long green to purchase a real milling machine. As Buckshot has mentioned there are many mill/drills available to the hobby home machinist that are very affordable and will do exactly what any hobby machinist would want to do. I myself prefer to use the commercial machines since I am looking for the .0000 precision which can only be obtained on those.

Please understand I am not the all knowing machinist if there is such a thing. I do have an understanding of machining because I started messing with those things when I was about 9 working in my uncle's commercial machine shop every spare moment I had. I had a real facination with mechanical things and needed a place to fuel my desire. Working there lead to an apprenticeship at Charleston Naval Shipyard as an outside machinist then a job change to NAVAIR where we do one off prototype stuff.

If you have anymore questions, I would be more than happy trying it answer them.

Robert

NRA Life Member
Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club Life Member

Thanks for trhe explanation. I have seen the drillpress vices at HF and thought there ought to be something like a vice that could be adjusted with some accuracy.

carpetman
04-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Today the San Angelo hockey team announced they have ceased operation. There was not enough attendance to support it. Darn with no hockey news guess we'll have to talk about cross slide compound vices or something or the other.

Buckshot
04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Today the San Angelo hockey team announced they have ceased operation. There was not enough attendance to support it. Darn with no hockey news guess we'll have to talk about cross slide compound vices or something or the other.

.............Darn! Another good excuse to drink beer down the tubes! Hocky teams ........... :coffee:

................Buckshot

C1PNR
04-18-2005, 11:58 PM
.............Darn! Another good excuse to drink beer down the tubes! Hocky teams ........... :coffee:

................Buckshot
WHOA, Guys, Don't go off the deep end!

OK, OK, The Steelheads lost in the Semi's last night, just like San Angelo. BUT, I can tell you for a FACT, we did drink some lightly malted "Adult" beverages at the game Saturday night! And, rumor has it, the Sun WILL rise again (in the East, even) tomorrow. So all is not lost!:smile:

Regretfully, though, I hereby relinquish this post to it's originally intended purpose of discussing, uh, err, "machine parts," I think it was.