PDA

View Full Version : casting ingots and boolits

Harry
06-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I've searched and found info on using a Rowell #3 for casting ingots. My question, is this same ladle satisfactory to use for pouring 2 cavity ideal molds ( 30 cal and 38sp.)? Looking at photos of the ladles, it appears the spout is too large to fit tight to the sprue. Help.

Thanks,

Harry

targetshootr
06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
I bought a stainless soup ladle at a Kohls for $8 which holds about 2 lbs and then bought a bunch of aluminum loaf pans for ingots from a craft shop. My pot is bottom pour though.

Bass Ackward
06-23-2008, 08:05 PM
I've searched and found info on using a Rowell #3 for casting ingots. My question, is this same ladle satisfactory to use for pouring 2 cavity ideal molds ( 30 cal and 38sp.)? Looking at photos of the ladles, it appears the spout is too large to fit tight to the sprue. Help.

Thanks,

Harry

Harry,

They sure are nice ladles, but boy are they H E A V Y!!! Thing holds like 5# of metal if I recollect correctly.

Any idea how tired you are going to get in a very short time? And then there is the splash danger from all that metal. And that handles gonna get hot, quick.

What the real disadvantage is that you cool so much metal (5#) with each pour, that you can't keep the melt up to the proper temp. That is unless you are cooking in a 150# pot over a turkey fryer or something. And because you are agitating that much metal, you have to flux that much more often.

I would say that you need a smaller utensil. Especially if you are bending over. Why you won't walk upright for a week. No fun in that.

Sprue
06-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Harry,

You may have already seen this thread. There are a couple good links to check out if not.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=355

BTW Harry, are you setup to cast yet?
Let us know what you need & already have vs where you're at at this point.

Harry
06-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Sprue,
Yes, I have been to that thread. I'm trying to absorb all of the great info on this site. I've even started a 3-ring binder of printed materials from here. Sort of a casting manual.
I bought a cast iron dutch oven and a 4-section cast iron corn bread mold. I have a turkey fryer. I picked up about 17 lbs of wheel weights from a local full service gas station to get started. My loving wife gave me a utensil for skimming. I have the boolit molds. So, I'll be able to get started as soon as I get a "soup ladle" for smelting, a small ladle for boolit casting, and I will need to get pot for casting. I'm still undecided about which casting pot and what size. I won't be casting big time, as I already have about 700 cast boolits that my dad did back in the late 50's and early 60's.
I just have to make some decisions and get moving.
Sorry for the long diatribe.

Harry

runfiverun
06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
lee 20# is a good one to start with as you can bottom pour if you wish.
and the lyman ladle is plenty for 2 cavaties

Sprue
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Sounds like you're almost there.

My first pot (only have two, one new one-Lee) is the Lee Magnum Melter. Its a good pot that holds 20 lbs. Its served my needs well. I would buy it again.

My second pot is a RCBS - Pro Melt. I got it at a bargain not too long ago. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have it ($$$). It holds a little more lead. Its a great furnace. A bottom pourer makes the process faster and easier, though I have no issues when I used to Ladle pour.

What ever you do get, make it at the least a 20 lbs pot. The thing that I don't like on the Lee bottom furnaces is that there is limited area inside the pot, due to an angled rod making it a little tight to stir your melt etc..

For the first furnace, I recommend the Lee (20 lbs) Magnum Melter. Its got plenty of room for the ladle and stirring.

Lee Magnum Melter - Click Here (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=709235)

RCBS Pro Melt (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=209097&t=11082005)