PDA

View Full Version : M.o.o.t.a.c.c

FSR
01-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Since I can no longer maintain a house I am downsizing everything. I still want to cast boolits so to fill the need of I am designing the Mobile Operations Tactical Casting Center (M.O.O.T.A.C.C) I am sourcing the materials from recycled items (an heavy wood chest. some salvaged casters.) I will post pictures of my progress and as well as report.

Nueces
01-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Interested!

georgerkahn
01-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a challenge! I attempted/made one from using two plastic milk crates on their sides, with a Harbor Freight cheapo furniture moving caster unit underneath, and a cut piece of 3.8" plywood on top. Hole drilled in plywood corresponded to my electric furnace, and a "computer" four-outlet strip screwed to inside of top crate afforded power. In the bottom crate were Masonite dividers for a Lyman 450 lub/sizer, moulds, a jar of pine sawdust (flux), gloves, 'glasses, etc. The only problem I had was that it was a tad top heavy, albeit I was lucky to never experience a fall/tipover. Somewhere I may have a photo... this was years before our electronics -- on film developed/printed paper. If I should come across it, I'll send. But, perhaps what I had done and hopefully described well might be a "starting point" for you. Oh --that you use "genuine" milk crates is imperative -- the Wally World type replicas are too thin and not-stiff plastic. Mine have the dairy from which they came's name on them. (These I still have -- casting unit was, however, dissembled for a newer one I now use.)
BEST wishes!
geo

OptimusPanda
01-01-2017, 06:38 PM
I used an old hand truck to turn into a mobile casting bench. It works pretty good, I can wheel it outside when I want to cast and then back in after it cools down. I made it from 2x4s, a couple shelf brackets, and a piece of plywood I had lying around.
Yes it's ugly, yes it works.

leeggen
01-02-2017, 02:04 AM
I already have one she is called the wife.LOL Just kidding. You have a good thought and many of us could use one.
CD

FSR
01-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Things coming along nicely. Just got to add the last pair of casters

OutHuntn84
01-05-2017, 10:38 AM
I made one of those about 5 years ago. It was 12"x16"x28" (with casters which was a touch short to my backs regret). Held a press on either end and my lee 10# pot in the middle. The whole set up could be rolled into my hall closet out of the way. However with all that weight on top I learned there was a real need to have an ingot storage area in the bottom to ballast the whole operation.
I still have it if you are near the OK area its free for the taking.