PDA

View Full Version : Rifle cases

country gent
12-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Gentleman, my project for this spring is going to be a wood rifle case, similar to the Buggy Box of years ago. Im thinking 3 or 4 rifles cased upright. Yea 3 or 4 BPCRs is going to be heavy to carry but I may install a roller under one end so it can be rolled on hard surfaces also. WHat I would like is pics of whats been done or better if you have an original is pics of it. Im thinking Cherry wood for the box and maple for furniture with Polished Brass for edging. Hoping to modify the hinges so pins can be easily pulled and top completely removed. This will be very similar to the Air Glide cases plano makes, only from wood and metal with felt lining. Thanks for helping out

LAGS
12-31-2016, 06:21 PM
A Half Fixed pin in one half of the hinge similar to the hinges in a G. I. ammo can will make the cover removable.
And possibly you can make a second lid with a Glass or Plexiglass panel to double as a display case.

country gent
12-31-2016, 06:40 PM
I have considered the glass ( actually 1/4" lexan for the strength) panels in a wood frame, but want more traditional look. The glass top panel wouldnt show much but the tops of the rifles. The ammo can style hinges would work well though. Im thinking right now Hinge along one side and 3 support locking pins on the opposite side to limit wiggle and give. If built for 4 rifles its looking at roughly 50Lbs of rifles in it, so the added support locks oon the top to base joint would be nice. Im also thinking 45* joints glued with blind dowels and 3/8" cross cut biscuts. It will be ribbed inside to hold rifles upright and locked in with nylon velcro straps. Padding and green felt or flannel lining. May do red though.

17nut
12-31-2016, 07:26 PM
This should give you some ideas:

https://www.google.dk/search?q=cass+gun+cart&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicoKaGyp_RAhWJfiwKHVAdDR8Q_AUICCgB

LAGS
12-31-2016, 10:33 PM
If you have the skills, and you want a Traditional look, go with the Dovetail corners or finger joints.

Blackwater
01-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Lags gives good advice, I think. I've seen a few that were basically old golf carts, modified, but nothing so nice as what you're planning. Please, show us your work when you're done. I know I and a lot more would likely love to see it. A friend of mine did a nice walnut and velvet case for a Ruger .41 mag. he did, complete with holes for 6 WW nickeled cases and Silvertip alum. jacketed bullets, which he'd shined up nice. Sent the frame to get case hardened, and a beautiful job. Then custom grips, very high polish and very deep blue! It was awesome! It got stolen by a teenage kid with "special needs," and was never recovered. That was his pride and joy. He still mourns that one's loss! Can't wait to see your box. This ought'a be a real doozie!

JWT
01-01-2017, 11:05 PM
If you have the skills, and you want a Traditional look, go with the Dovetail corners or finger joints.

More traditional and much stronger.

Ballistics in Scotland
01-02-2017, 05:16 PM
I think mitred corners are more traditional, but finger (aka comb) joints are stronger - ever bit as good as dovetail with modern glues, and far less trouble and expense (in equipment) to do. Perhaps the ideal would be to have two thicknesses in the sides, the outside half-inch or so mitre jointed, and then an inner layer inserted, about ⅜in. thick, with finger joints. That is the right order, as it is easier to get the dimensions of the comb jointed one right. If the inner layer stands proud and fits into the lid, a sideways blow won't fall on the hinge screws alone.

If you have a milling machine or powerful bench drill, you can buy finger joint cutters to do about 1⅞in. at a time. I got mine on eBay. You should clamp all the pieces together, with a bit of waste wood on the outsides, to avoid detaching chips from what you want to be a smooth surface. Brass angle can be used along the edges, with brass pins finished off to be almost undetectable, but it is expensive for a big box. Cast brass box corners should be OK though.

Whiterabbit
01-03-2017, 01:56 AM
I do finger joints with a homemade jig made from cheap poplar and a table mounted router with standard cheap straight flute bits. I have jigs for 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4" fingers.

LAGS
01-04-2017, 07:04 PM
@whiterabbit.
Have you ever tried to cut them Freehand with a dovetail saw and a chisel ?
That takes some practice and skill.
A skill that was lost with the invention of power tools.
Give it a go sometime.
You will be so proud of your work.

W.R.Buchanan
01-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Contact Duke Nukem he can make this for you.

Randy