PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 100gr. GC boolitz from Montana Bulet Works.

sniper
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
They look really good.:bigsmyl2:
I did a bit of messing about...uhhh...experimentation and with the bullet snug against the rifling, I can just barely seat the bullet deep enough to cover the front lube groove with the case mouth.

The gas check is slightly below the shoulder/case neck junction, which it must be if I don't want the lube to be exposed and unprotected.

Is seating the CB against the rifling the accepted way to load these things? If not, what sort of free travel is a good starting place?.

Runfiverun suggested .001. That is really tiny...~1/3 the diameter of a human hair. Is he pulling this newbie's leg?

I plan to use my Lee factory crimp die to insure enough neck tension.

Suggestions, please. :-D

runfiverun
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
sniper the reason i suggested what i did is that you don't want too much of the boolit in the case. where the hot gas will negatively affect it.
you also want to get the boolit started as straight down the bbl as possible.
there is a lot happening right there in the throat area ,gas pressure ,alignment.
your lube is making this transition also and you gotta get that to the end of the bbl.
i try to get the boolit into the bbl as far as i can without it staying there if i want to open the action.
in my two 7x57's for example same boolit i have two different seating depths.
one engraves the boolit and it don't like it, the other is seated almost 1/4"deep in the case neck
any shorter and it wont hit a pie plate at 100 yds, seat them out and it is near an inch for 10 shots.
close but not jammed in the rifling or touching it.
touching the rifling can do some bad transitioning also,but i have seen boolits engraved that shot quite well.

you gotta get them started smooth ,straight and easy.