PDA

View Full Version : What would it hurt......?

Der Gebirgsjager
12-31-2016, 12:31 AM
If we didn't try to hurt each other? So many sometimes nasty, catty posts that hurt feelings and pride and elicit a response of the same type.

I know that we have The Pit for controversial subjects and verbal/literary gladiators. I've been there, without original intent to argue, but was drawn into it on several occasions after weighing the cost -- the expression of an opinion vs. the reaction of the opposition. Like Chief Joseph, "From this day forward I will fight no more." If I have an opinion to state, or knowledge to impart, and if moved to do so, I will state my case and then move on.

No, I didn't just "find Jesus." I've known him for many years. But really, what is the purpose of the Forum? Is it not to seek and provide information concerning our hobby? Currently there is a thread about S&W vs. Ruger .44s and their barrels. Two valued members, obviously knowledgeable engaged in personalities. It's ugly and unnecessary. How much better off would we be to post our opinion, our advice, or knowledge, and then move on. If our opinions/advice/knowledge are in conflict, let the original poster sort it out.

Let's raise the level. If you must disagree, let's do so courteously and without rancor. We can make one of the best forums even better.

WILCO
12-31-2016, 12:52 AM
Posting in any forum is a maturing experience.
Many opportunities to learn and grow.
Like real life, many fail to achieve higher levels of self awareness.
For those people, Moderators exist.

Jr.
12-31-2016, 12:53 AM
I agree and thank you

It is one thing to politely point out when something someone posts is incorrect (and I have been more than a couple times) but to assault the character of another member is in my opinion beneath the stewardship of those who founded this forum for us all to enjoy.

Thank you again and God bless all members here

I am truly lucky to be a part of this community.

johnson1942
12-31-2016, 01:56 AM
you said it and it wont change a thing. i agree with you 100 percent. as i have said before these doors are open, not like your church or any kind of meeting that you attend with people of like interest. you can control that but you cant control it here. the computer is a safe place to pretend your a man and can slam and bully with out getting your nose bent. your one of the mature people here but now and then mental disorders, and just plain loud mouths show up. there is no way to stop them, distance and the security of your own home make some join a meeting that they really shouldnt be at. i even had one of those pm me and say i needed to stand in front of a mirror and recite the lords prayer several thousand times while i looked my self in the eye. i wont go on the chapel anymore because of a couple of guys who had real emotional problems and completely ruined any good thing posted there. its the way of the computer. the good the bad and the mentals can speak at this meeting. gleen what you can and give what you can and ignore the ones you would ignore if you met them in person. glad you have a high standard.

toallmy
12-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you , goes a long way in life . There is 10 rules also but I won't get into that , most have already heard about them .

JSnover
12-31-2016, 09:46 AM
Posting in any forum is a maturing experience.
Many opportunities to learn and grow.
Like real life, many fail to achieve higher levels of self awareness.
For those people, Moderators exist.

It's that simple. Some people just haven't grown up yet.

rancher1913
12-31-2016, 10:10 AM
some peoples only "fun" is arguing and they do not like to lose so when they do they resort to nastiness.

XDROB
12-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Yup to post #7

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kingstrider
12-31-2016, 10:29 AM
Well said! I normally only post if I have something to add or a nice comment like "wow nice gun" etc. I rarely come back to a thread unless it is of real interest to me so seldom encounter the douchebags that are just in it to argue their point. I have a crazy and hateful uncle that I do not associate with or waste my time on. I know there are thousands just like him out there and won't waste my time on them either. Happy new year!!

lightman
12-31-2016, 10:30 AM
some peoples only "fun" is arguing and they do not like to lose so when they do they resort to nastiness.

This is true. And some come here to argue because Moma won't let them get away with it at home! Personally, I try to make all of my post either friendly or helpful. Happy New Year Guys!

Ballistics in Scotland
12-31-2016, 10:47 AM
At this very moment, a not uncommon situation, eight members and two guests are browsing this thread. A lot of people don't realise that this is the information age. They don't realise that all the world can see that Americans, and gun owners in particular, have a shameful attitude to race and a longing for death by torture. Should you ever be the victim of crime or terrorism, it will probably be by people whose grudges they have fuelled. Observers don't, of course, see that a lot more just quietly hold to the values they learned in childhood, which could easily be the time when America made the most abrupt step in human rights since the French Revolution.

Internet advertising sells by the number of members and number of hits, so some websites let in the jungle to attract them. But if you care about the good of society, that is pretty expensive money.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-31-2016, 10:56 AM
I know that we have The Pit for controversial subjects and verbal/literary gladiators. I've been there, without original intent to argue, but was drawn into it on several occasions after weighing the cost -- the expression of an opinion vs. the reaction of the opposition.

If such things must be, I think it is a great pity The Pit appears in the list of unread posts on the top right, so that people really only interested in the art and science of firearms see innocent lurkers drawn into things that really demand to be contested.

The attitude spreads to other boards too. I've seen people drawn into acrimonious exchanges who claim having tested and established techniques in reloading or gunsmithing that I am totally convinced are untrue, and liable to get others into serious bodily damage. I believe the board rules there prevent accusing some one of lying. But if you let in falsehood as a legitimate answer to contradiction, falsehood is in.

shoot-n-lead
12-31-2016, 11:30 AM
At this very moment, a not uncommon situation, eight members and two guests are browsing this thread. A lot of people don't realise that this is the information age. They don't realise that all the world can see that Americans, and gun owners in particular, have a shameful attitude to race and a longing for death by torture. Should you ever be the victim of crime or terrorism, it will probably be by people whose grudges they have fuelled. Observers don't, of course, see that a lot more just quietly hold to the values they learned in childhood, which could easily be the time when America made the most abrupt step in human rights since the French Revolution.

Internet advertising sells by the number of members and number of hits, so some websites let in the jungle to attract them. But if you care about the good of society, that is pretty expensive money.

So ill informed...

But, in this case, ignorance is truly bliss.

If the inhumanity of Americans and gun owners is so terrible...feel free to drop out of participating on this forum, at any time you like.

I will admit...but will not apologize for the fact that, I HATE the liberal mindset.

dverna
12-31-2016, 01:08 PM
I believe there are times when people must be called to task. Outlandish claims and unsafe procedures are a couple that come to mind.

If you want to get into a religious argument (instead of a discussion) then be prepared for it. That is why we have a Pit and a Chapel. In the Chapel, be respectful, that is NOT the place to argue.

BinS, you are entitled to your views of us. Having been born a Canadian and now an American citizen I see both sides of things like the race issue. You have not lived it....at least not here...so accept that you may be ignorant of what we deal with. I was a wee bit like you until I lived here for a while and gained some experience. Still, unlike some that would like you gone, I prefer you stay. I learn a lot from your posts on gun matters and it is beneficial to see how others view us.

Don Verna

smoked turkey
12-31-2016, 01:30 PM
Der Gebirgsjager: Thank you for the OP that started this thread. This is truly a wonderful place to share information on many issues. It is sad to see some tear others down on issues that have no real right or wrong answer. I personally have not seen the thread on S&W vs. Ruger. But come on that is clearly an opinion. One might as well ask which is better for me to buy, a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge truck? I learned a long time ago that there are many people who don't see things my way and that is to be expected and only right. We all have opinions based on our experiences and we each need to know that it is just that, an opinion.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-31-2016, 01:34 PM

BIS,
Come on, tell us what you really think ?

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-31-2016, 01:35 PM
SNIP...

Let's raise the level. If you must disagree, let's do so courteously and without rancor. We can make one of the best forums even better.

A great suggestion.

mcdaniel.mac
12-31-2016, 01:44 PM
There's a large number of people for whom this is not the case, but rather the pain of cognitive dissonance (being presented with evidence that contradicts your opinion, or being unable to prove a fundamental belief) causes them to lash out against the thing that causes them pain. Even the mods here do it, resorting to quips or attempts at humor to avoid answering honestly.

"You're dumb" is much easier to say than "I cannot refute that." Short of separating personal worth from personal opinions (so that disagreement is not taken as an attack) and encouraging a love of truth over ideology, that will not change.

shoot-n-lead
12-31-2016, 01:50 PM
Even the mods here do it, resorting to quips or attempts at humor to avoid answering honestly.

The mods do it here because it is a waste of bandwidth to engage some of this idiocy.

mcdaniel.mac
12-31-2016, 01:56 PM
The mods do it here because it is a waste of bandwidth to engage some of this idiocy.
How convenient.

johnson1942
12-31-2016, 02:54 PM
has anybody beside me noticed that the whole country has gone to rude and outspoken no matter where you go? it is the new accepted norm every where. hopefully it will pass as all other thing pass in due time. i honestly believe it is in part due to suffering no consequences for having a big mouth. in the old days when i was young a big mouth got you a fat lip or more. now days sitting at the computer this is no fat lips or more. also out in this world you can blow your horn and many mice are trying to sound like a lion as they will get no fat lips or they cry to the law and get the run on you that way. consequences make for better people. i look at the big mouths on the computer or in person as cowards with a mouth. they just think they are men but are not.

country gent
12-31-2016, 03:02 PM
So many no longer understand the diffrence between arguing and debateing. I believe people can disagree with out getting nasty or beligerant. Effective Debate and diffrent views have changed alot of things over time. On the other side sometimes a poster just may not word a replie quite right or its taken in the wrong context also. But we should as adults be able to post with out being rude nasty or beligerant.

mcdaniel.mac
12-31-2016, 03:22 PM
has anybody beside me noticed that the whole country has gone to rude and outspoken no matter where you go? it is the new accepted norm every where. hopefully it will pass as all other thing pass in due time. i honestly believe it is in part due to suffering no consequences for having a big mouth. in the old days when i was young a big mouth got you a fat lip or more. now days sitting at the computer this is no fat lips or more. also out in this world you can blow your horn and many mice are trying to sound like a lion as they will get no fat lips or they cry to the law and get the run on you that way. consequences make for better people. i look at the big mouths on the computer or in person as cowards with a mouth. they just think they are men but are not.
It happened under the guise of "telling it like it is" and "not being PC." The same people who lament rudeness will do the same thing while celebrating it as "not PC."

dtknowles
12-31-2016, 05:18 PM

Is it the MOD's role to decide what is of value? I thought they were here to enforce the rules.

Tim

dtknowles
12-31-2016, 05:21 PM

So in those good old days, were you the guy handing out fat lips when someone dared to speak to you in a manner you did not like? Is fighting ability the gauge you use to decide who is a big mouth and who is wise? What did you do when the big mouth wise acre had the size and ability to tell you off and stand his ground?

Tim

dtknowles
12-31-2016, 05:31 PM
So many no longer understand the diffrence between arguing and debateing. I believe people can disagree with out getting nasty or beligerant. Effective Debate and diffrent views have changed alot of things over time. On the other side sometimes a poster just may not word a replie quite right or its taken in the wrong context also. But we should as adults be able to post with out being rude nasty or beligerant.

That is clearly covered in the Rules, no personal attacks, even in the Pit. You want to clean up this forum, report the people who break the rules. The MOD's can't read every post but they will act if it is brought to their attention.

Take care to word you posts so as not to be ambiguous or easily taken out of context. If you mean something as a joke, make it clearly a joke, use an emoticon or colored font.

Do not write posts like they were a face to face conversation, there is not body language or facial expressions on the forum.

TIM

w5pv
12-31-2016, 05:31 PM
I hope that I haven't stepped on anyone's toes and hurt them in any way.I hope to be forgiven.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Is it the MOD's role to decide what is of value? I thought they were here to enforce the rules.

Tim
Tim, you need to go back to mcdaniel .mac's comment that shoot-n-lead was replying to, as I believe you are misunderstanding.

cognitive dissonance: I remember last summer, when one of the liberal rags (the Atlantic or the New Yorker?) came out with an article about Trump supporters and cognitive dissonance ...of course my liberal Brother had to chomp on that and diagnose me as such after he read it...it'd be nice if he'd have a thought of his own once in a while, anyway it appears I use humor to mask the pain.

I hope I don't have to pay all these liberals for the diagnosis? :roll: ...and if so, I'll opt for some trigger therapy. :Fire:

buckwheatpaul
12-31-2016, 06:07 PM
Der Gebirgsiager, You said it right.....and thank you for raising the bar.....Happy New Year brother.....Paul

Hamish
12-31-2016, 06:17 PM

Probably so. I'm just rolling because half of this thread is on "ignore",,,,,,,,,,

375supermag
12-31-2016, 06:37 PM
Hi...

Unfortunately the internet allows people to hide in relative anonymity behind their keyboard.
They feel free to write things they would never say to someone's face.
Tis the nature of the Internet.

johnson1942
12-31-2016, 07:22 PM
dtknowles, sometime i stood my ground and stood up to them and others i let it go for the moment. the real real serious one i let go and let God decide. a rich powerful man did a very very evil wrong thing to me 15 years ago. i stood up to him and that never ever happened before. then he got really evil and never ever came forward to tell the truth. it changed my life but out of evil good always comes. his wife and brother who supported him in the grand lie and this evil were dead first in 3 months and the second in 6 months. i was not involved in their deaths but their deaths were bad ones. the man lost a powerful job locally and sold his house for a loss and took a job 60 miles away and moved there. he is now looking for kidneys to transplant as he is in really really bad shape. he has never ever repented and i am fine, it was a very growing experience. his money and lies do him no good anymore. God does protect his own who walk in him. some battles i fight right now in a legal way and some i move on and let the fools do them selves in. my first stand up to people like this was when i was in the armed forces and i was rushed by 3 men with knives with a 4th watching. their object was to kill me, they were surprised when they were on the defense and not me. i survived that attack with out a scratch. the last time was a out spoken man who was in a long line at wall mart and started a long speech to all in the line what *******es they were for not paying more money for gas so he could make a better living. he was loud and we were his captives. i stood up to him vocally in a way that he could not refute and wilted like a flower after a frost. every one clapped for me and he slunk out. locally a rich and powerful women took it upon her self to try to get a local minister fired for nothing, just because she could and liked doing these sort of things. the pastor turned it over to God and that woman 2 weeks later was and still is fighting for her life with a very aggressive cancer.i know you wont like my answers but their they are and they are real and God does protect his own and avenge them if he has to. i bet this will really get you going now that i brought God into it. may be i just stood up to you. and no doubt your going to cut loose because you just cant help your self, can you? your one of the brave ones iv noticed hiding behind your computer. when some one says black you say white. when someone says white you say black. oh well if thats the only joy you have in this world, go for and be happy. again you cant help your self.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-31-2016, 07:52 PM
Der Gebirgsiager, You said it right.....and thank you for raising the bar.....Happy New Year brother.....Paul

Thank you. A Happy, Safe, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year to all here.

There is a Biblical verse that says in the End Times men shall cry for peace, search diligently for it here and there, but shall not find it.
My New Year's resolution is that in as much as is possible peace shall begin with me. All the best to you, my friends.

dtknowles
12-31-2016, 08:17 PM
Tim, you need to go back to mcdaniel .mac's comment that shoot-n-lead was replying to, as I believe you are misunderstanding.

McM

Even the mods here do it, resorting to quips or attempts at humor to avoid answering honestly.

Lead

You might be right and they both might be also talking past each other.

Taking my comment separate from that conversation, I meant that the MOD's should be unbiased in enforcing the rules and their comments should follow the rules as well. I think the MOD's for the most part do a good job but,,,,,,,,

Tim

rancher1913
12-31-2016, 08:42 PM
so much for a civil thread about being civil.

dtknowles
12-31-2016, 08:48 PM
dtknowles, sometime i stood my ground and stood up to them and others i let it go for the moment. the real real serious one i let go and let God decide. a rich powerful man did a very very evil wrong thing to me 15 years ago. i stood up to him and that never ever happened before. then he got really evil and never ever came forward to tell the truth. it changed my life but out of evil good always comes. his wife and brother who supported him in the grand lie and this evil were dead first in 3 months and the second in 6 months. i was not involved in their deaths but their deaths were bad ones. the man lost a powerful job locally and sold his house for a loss and took a job 60 miles away and moved there. he is now looking for kidneys to transplant as he is in really really bad shape. he has never ever repented and i am fine, it was a very growing experience. his money and lies do him no good anymore. God does protect his own who walk in him. some battles i fight right now in a legal way and some i move on and let the fools do them selves in. my first stand up to people like this was when i was in the armed forces and i was rushed by 3 men with knives with a 4th watching. their object was to kill me, they were surprised when they were on the defense and not me. i survived that attack with out a scratch. the last time was a out spoken man who was in a long line at wall mart and started a long speech to all in the line what *******es they were for not paying more money for gas so he could make a better living. he was loud and we were his captives. i stood up to him vocally in a way that he could not refute and wilted like a flower after a frost. every one clapped for me and he slunk out. locally a rich and powerful women took it upon her self to try to get a local minister fired for nothing, just because she could and liked doing these sort of things. the pastor turned it over to God and that woman 2 weeks later was and still is fighting for her life with a very aggressive cancer.i know you wont like my answers but their they are and they are real and God does protect his own and avenge them if he has to. i bet this will really get you going now that i brought God into it. may be i just stood up to you. and no doubt your going to cut loose because you just cant help your self, can you? your one of the brave ones iv noticed hiding behind your computer. when some one says black you say white. when someone says white you say black. oh well if thats the only joy you have in this world, go for and be happy. again you cant help your self.

Thanks for sharing a little of your history but I did not seem to answer the question I asked.

How come you felt you needed to end your post with an insult of me.

I do not hide behind my computer.

Sometimes I respond to black with white because some people see black were I see grey.

"oh well if thats the only joy you have in this world" why would you say that, sort of mean and completely wrong. I have a Wife, Kids, Grandkids, two jobs that I like and I don't need to work, I could be retired.

Tim

Down South
12-31-2016, 09:22 PM
I don't get into controversy, Hmmmm, rarely that is. This is a family forum and I've learned to appreciate most folks posts.
The "Pit", stay out of it if your feelings/opinions are on your shoulder. I rarely visit there unless something major is going on in the USA or world wide.

country gent
12-31-2016, 09:25 PM
To put it plainly. I answer and am responsible for my actions and statements only not others. I try to give correct accurate information in a polite way. Others have to answer for themselves not me. Ive learned this over many years and first most try to be polite. I will debate and question but arguments and fights I ust walk away since there is normally no decent end to it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-31-2016, 10:47 PM
Tim,
While your comments are true 'enough', IMHO, they are out of context to the conversation you are replying to.

You surely don't want to deprive me of humor to mask my pain, do you? :mrgreen:

MaryB
01-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Us mods are human and we do sometimes get irked at the stupidity. Nobody is perfect!

We have the pit as a safety valve to keep topics that tend to be divisive off the rest of the board. I only monitor in there when we have something big going on like the last elections. Otherwise I only wade in there on a complaint! I think many of the mods feel the same about the pit! A place to avoid unless needed! And yes we have a few posters who make 90%+ of their posts in the pit... we do watch them closer because that often leads to trouble.

Artful
01-01-2017, 12:33 AM
[smilie=s:

Happy New Year 2017 to everyone

1911cherry
01-01-2017, 12:49 AM
Probably so. I'm just rolling because half of this thread is on "ignore",,,,,,,,,,

This is some helpful, productive, advice here... repeat offenders get "ignored" and life is good! Happy New Year everyone.

Col4570
01-01-2017, 01:50 AM
Unfortunately there are those who confuse politeness with softness.To keep a civil Tongue in ones Head is not a hardship.There is a lot of virtue in civility,it is the foundation of civilisation.For the life of me I cannot see how conflicts within the confines of a Shooting Forum can occur.Life is too short to be involved with small time aggression.

dtknowles
01-01-2017, 03:12 AM
Tim,
While your comments are true 'enough', IMHO, they are out of context to the conversation you are replying to.

You surely don't want to deprive me of humor to mask my pain, do you? :mrgreen:

Now you have confused me, why yes, surely you may jest.

Tim

Ballistics in Scotland
01-01-2017, 06:14 AM
So ill informed...

But, in this case, ignorance is truly bliss.

If the inhumanity of Americans and gun owners is so terrible...feel free to drop out of participating on this forum, at any time you like.

I will admit...but will not apologize for the fact that, I HATE the liberal mindset.

You can certainly count on me to give your opinion the attention it deserves.

kmw1954
01-01-2017, 12:39 PM
I have never entered into the Pit and have no desire to. Though all one need do is enter any thread about certain guns or reloading equipment and eventually it happens. I have a hard time understanding why some people post to those topics with nothing more than a comment of what you have is junk and I'd never buy that. An opinion with a statement like that brings nothing to the discussion.

When someone posts a topic where they are having a problem I try to help if I can with that problem constructively. Not again with what you have is junk and you need to get rid of it and buy this, enter whichever product they support, because that is no answer to the problem at hand. Opinions don't solve issues.

Many times in forums I'll see someone ask for a comparison on 2 or 3 different items and buy the end of the thread 19 unrelated items have been added to the mix that have no relevance to the question asked. Why? Again because some people just feel the need to interject their opinion on the items in question and why they dislike them and that this is so much better.

An extreme example would be if I stated I'm looking for a new pet but haven't decided yet on a dog or a cat and someone else replies, I don't like dogs or cats but a goat or a fat belly pig would be nice! Now isn't that helpful?

jcwit
01-01-2017, 02:01 PM
I notice that many times the usefullness of an item is based entirely on how much it costs.

wv109323
01-01-2017, 02:14 PM
We are creatures that are comfortable only in our own conceived ideas.
Get on a 2 lane highway and you come upon someone travelling slower than you. After a mile or two you label them as a "slowpoke" and look for a place to pass them.
Get on the same 2 lane road and someone passes you and you label them a "maniac" for speeding.
We often forget that the person travelling slower than us may be the older lady whose driving reflexes may be slower than ours and has no one else to drive her to the store.
Or the person who passes us may be headed to an emergency.

condorjohn
01-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Mountain Hunter, I'm with you...184057

Der Gebirgsjager
01-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Thanks, condorjohn, and thanks for the edelweiss!

Ballistics in Scotland
01-02-2017, 05:42 AM
I have never entered into the Pit and have no desire to. Though all one need do is enter any thread about certain guns or reloading equipment and eventually it happens. I have a hard time understanding why some people post to those topics with nothing more than a comment of what you have is junk and I'd never buy that. An opinion with a statement like that brings nothing to the discussion.

When someone posts a topic where they are having a problem I try to help if I can with that problem constructively. Not again with what you have is junk and you need to get rid of it and buy this, enter whichever product they support, because that is no answer to the problem at hand. Opinions don't solve issues.

Many times in forums I'll see someone ask for a comparison on 2 or 3 different items and buy the end of the thread 19 unrelated items have been added to the mix that have no relevance to the question asked. Why? Again because some people just feel the need to interject their opinion on the items in question and why they dislike them and that this is so much better.

An extreme example would be if I stated I'm looking for a new pet but haven't decided yet on a dog or a cat and someone else replies, I don't like dogs or cats but a goat or a fat belly pig would be nice! Now isn't that helpful?

It would be nice to be a member of a paid technological advice service, but we aren't. It is a conversation. Basically I mostly agree with you, at least about the aggressive brand-name groupies, but we post not only for the OP, but for people with a vaguely related interest, and even for off-topic posters who have said something extraneous which risks an unsatisfactory outcome for them.

I have often seen people proposing projects which look like being a troublesome money trap, and though the word junk has never passed my lips., it was sometimes a close thing. Lately I have posted on a project which might be worth it to someone who will count time and money well spent if it will do no more than satisfy technological curiosity, but not to someone who hopes for an easy way to obtain an efficient modern firearm. Which was the OP? I doubt if he had made up his mind yet.

Recommending a goat or pig to someone who wants a dog does indeed seem a bit much, but he can always skim-read. Recommending a dog instead to someone who wants the goat or pig does seem more reasonable, if it isn't just about your own preferences, but about how they house-train, or how people will talk when you take them out for a walk.

On a slightly nastier note (and a slightly off-topic one), I have seen people opening threads I find technically interesting, but I think are aimed at breaking the law, a couple of times in the US and once in the UK. I did know some good answers too. But that, I think, is something better not touched with the dirty end of someone else's barge-pole. They seemed like the sort that would get caught, and say "There is this website where they are always ready to help with things like this."

kmw1954
01-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Ballistics in Scotland, there are a few topics that I completely avoid entering into because I know my view at times will be taken harshly. It serves no purpose to enter into those discussions because I know my view will not change any opinions and will inflame some members. I come to the forums to enjoy myself and learn a few things, not to defend my viewpoints.

Same things goes to offering opinions on products or practices that I have no experience with. As of now I have no experience with casting bullets so it would be useless for me to offer someone advice other than maybe point them to an article which I have read or suggest to them tat they come to this site and learn from those that do know. Another would be the topic of 40 vs. 45acp. I've never owned either of them and only have limited experience shooting the 45.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately there are those who confuse politeness with softness.To keep a civil Tongue in ones Head is not a hardship.There is a lot of virtue in civility,it is the foundation of civilisation.For the life of me I cannot see how conflicts within the confines of a Shooting Forum can occur.Life is too short to be involved with small time aggression.

This is very well said. I believe that every person is entitled to a level of courtesy and respect, which they themselves will increase or decrease in the opinion of others through their speech and actions. Some earn an aura of true greatness, knowledge and wisdom, while others prove themselves to be horses' derrieres. Once the latter type has convinced you of their lack of quality there isn't any point in dwelling on it, it's best to just move along. These endless arguments are degrading and ugly and only tend to pull all participants down to the level of the lowest member. Some seem to feed on unpleasant discourse and swell into a hideous green monster. As the Col. said, this is a shooting forum, and life is short. The Pit is a unique feature of the forum, and a place to go and vent one's hostilities--but even that has a limit. There is no need at all to be hostile, unfriendly, obnoxious, or even discourteous on the remainder of the site. And, life is short. Most of us are here to help, and all of us are here to learn. Nobody knows everything, and all opinions help supply a piece of the puzzle. Many (too many!) of us are older folks and bear the scars of real conflicts both physical and mental, and have "mellowed out." Courtesy and respect is never a wrong way to go.

Ballistics in Scotland
01-02-2017, 12:01 PM

Ah, but there are social circles where aggression and references to the process of waste evacuation are just the normal form of social intercourse, and an attack by calmly presenting logic and evidence is the lowest form of assault.