PDA

View Full Version : EPA To Alaskans In Sub-Zero Temps: Stop Burning Wood To Keep Warm

Artful
12-30-2016, 06:43 PM
http://thefederalist.com/2016/12/30/epa-alaskans-sub-zero-temps-stop-burning-wood-keep-warm/

In Jack London’s famous short story, “To Build A Fire,” a man freezes to death because he underestimates the cold in America’s far north and cannot build a proper fire.

The unnamed man—a chechaquo, what Alaska natives call newcomers—is accompanied by a wolf-dog that knows the danger of the cold and is wholly indifferent to the fate of the man. “This man did not know cold. Possibly, all the generations of his ancestry had been ignorant of cold, of real cold, of cold 107 degrees below freezing point. But the dog knew; all its ancestry knew, and it had inherited the knowledge.”

If only the bureaucrats in Washington DC knew what the wolf-dog knew. But alas, now comes the federal government to tell the inhabitants of Alaska’s interior that, really, they should not be building fires to keep themselves warm during the winter.

The New York Times reports (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/25/us/alaskans-cost-of-staying-warm-a-thick-coat-of-dirty-air.html?_r=0) the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) could soon declare the Alaskan cities of Fairbanks and North Pole, which have a combined population of about 100,000, in “serious” noncompliance of the Clean Air Act early next year.

Like most people in Alaska, the residents of those frozen cities are burning wood to keep themselves warm this winter. Smoke from wood-burning stoves increases small-particle pollution, which settles in low-lying areas and can be breathed in.

The EPA thinks this is a big problem. Eight years ago, the agency ruled that wide swaths of the most densely populated parts of the region were in “non-attainment” of federal air quality standards.

That prompted state and local authorities to look for ways to cut down on pollution from wood-burning stoves, including the possibility of fining residents who burn wood. After all, a declaration of noncompliance from the EPA would have enormous economic implications for the region, like the loss of federal transportation funding.

The problem is, there’s no replacement for wood-burning stoves in Alaska’s interior. Heating oil is too expensive for a lot of people, and natural gas isn’t available. So they’ve got to burn something.

The average low temperature in Fairbanks in December is 13 degrees below zero. In January, it’s 17 below. During the coldest days of winter, the hightemperature averages -2 degrees, and it can get as cold as -60. This is not a place where you play games with the cold. If you don’t keep the fire lit, you die.

For people of modest means, and especially for the poor, that means you burn wood in a stove—and you keep that fire lit around the clock.

As Necessary As Food And Water

Growing up in Alaska, I learned this from an early age. (My father, in fact, was achechaquo. As a white kid growing up in Alaska native villages in the 1950s, the native kids would call him and his siblings chechaquos as a kind of juvenile epithet.) Like many families in Alaska, then and now, we weren’t wealthy and had no other means of staying warm besides burning wood.

As kids, my brothers and I would spend long hours stacking cords of wood and, when we were older, felling trees, cutting them into logs, and hauling them back to the house. It wasn’t romantic, it was simply part of life in the far north: firewood was as natural and necessary as food and water.

For most Alaskans, it still is. Replacing wood-burning stoves, especially in the state’s interior, isn’t easily done. Ever since the EPA’s ruling in 2008, local and state efforts to address air pollution caused by wood stoves hasn’t solved the problem. As the editors of the Fairbanks newspaper recently noted (http://www.newsminer.com/opinion/editorials/eight-years-of-air-struggles-borough-still-grappling-with-pm/article_6583fb00-c81a-11e6-9376-d30e39bdaec6.html), “The borough faces two unpalatable alternatives: More stringent restrictions on home heating devices that could impact residents’ ability to heat their homes affordably, or choosing to stand pat and accept a host of costly economic sanctions and health effects to residents.”

Local residents have been assured that of course the government means well. According to the Times, the EPA official in charge claims that “his agency was definitely not trying to take away anyone’s wood stove, or make life more expensive.” But he also said the EPA’s job is to enforce air quality standards set by the Clean Air Act. The implication is clear: these wood stoves are going to be a problem.

‘He Was Without Imagination’

This of course is a ridiculous situation. The EPA has no business telling Alaskans they shouldn’t burn wood to keep warm in the depths of winter. For one thing, concern over air pollution from wood smoke is misplaced. The high levels of particulate matter in places like Fairbanks in January are not the same thing as smog in Los Angeles.

The areas affected by pollution from wood stoves are relatively small because they’re the result of something called inversion. At -30 degrees Fahrenheit, smoke doesn’t rise. It drops down to ground level and settles in low-lying areas. But this doesn’t happen city-wide, it happens on a single block or street.

That doesn’t mean people living on that street aren’t affected. But it does mean we aren’t talking about pollution-laced fog descending on an entire city; we’re talking about burning wood to stay warm. If that means you must endure some air pollution from the smoke from time to time, then that’s the price of living in a place like Alaska’s frozen interior.

(Full disclosure: I plan to build a cabin in Alaska someday, and I plan to heat it with a wood stove, fully aware that doing so might sometimes subject me to higher levels of particulate pollution. I say it’s worth the risk.)

The problem with the EPA bullying the people of Fairbanks about their wood stoves is that the federal government thinks this is a problem that can be solved. What would the EPA have Alaskans do, use solar panels to heat their homes in winter?

In his story, Jack London wrote of thechechaquo that “The trouble with him was that he was without imagination.” That is, he simply didn’t understand the cold, or where exactly he was:

He was quick and alert in the things of life, but only in the things, and not in the significances. Fifty degrees below zero meant 80 odd degrees of frost.

Such facts impressed him as being cold and uncomfortable, and that was all. It did not lead him to meditate upon his frailty as a creature of temperature, and upon man’s frailty in general, able only to live within certain narrow limits of heat and cold; and from there on, it did not lead him to the conjectural field of immortality and man’s place in the universe.

Of the earnest bureaucrats at the EPA fretting over the smoke from Alaskans’ wood stoves in the dead of winter, we might say something similar:

they understand facts but not the significance of them. Burning wood when it’s -20 degrees outside will indeed cause the smoke to descend, and breathing such air is admittedly not very healthy. What the EPA doesn’t accept, or even grasp, is man’s place in the universe: in the face of Alaska’s deadly cold interior, there’s only so much we can do. So we build a fire.

Only an idiot would issue requests like this
- hope they get Trumped.

dverna
12-30-2016, 06:51 PM
You are correct Artful. Even in northern Michigan, many people heat with wood....I use wood to supplement propane and when propane prices went crazy a few years back I burned a lot of wood.

They are idiots

Don Verna

JSnover
12-30-2016, 07:05 PM
After reading this piece it's no wonder Alaska voted red instead of blue. An agency of the federal government is almost literally trying to freeze them to death or regulate them into poverty, especially the ones who are already poor.

frkelly74
12-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Without imagination!

.429&H110
12-30-2016, 07:27 PM
I just retired, sold the house in North Pole, moved to Tucson. I could vent a fine rant about EPA. The PM2.5 pollution is mostly Tanana valley silt. Gonna outlaw dirt? Wood smoke and ice fog make it worse. I ran a hepa filter in my bedroom, dumped out a handful of yellow flour every month. The houses have to be very tight, makes indoor pollution worse. There is an endemic disease: Fairbanks Crud, that easily goes to pneumonia. My solution would be to run a power line 300 miles, make power on the Slope, cheap enough to heat with, not 18centkwh. Alaska been cashing the oil check for 30 years, now it's gone. Boom and bust kinda place. Rant done. Thanks.

JSnover
12-30-2016, 08:07 PM
The PM2.5 pollution is mostly Tanana valley silt. Gonna outlaw dirt? .
Even the plants are in violation, since a lot of spores and other particles exceed the EPA size limits.

Hickory
12-30-2016, 08:08 PM
This is part of Agenda 21 that is designed to force people into the cities.

.429&H110
12-30-2016, 08:37 PM
I forgot pollen and cottonfuzz. All the spruce dumps pollen on the same day. I had fun in Alaska, it isn't the TV Alaska. Two and a half Texas with noone home. I lived in a suburb, mowed the lawn. Seven month winter is for youngsters with circulation.

starmac
12-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Old news, we have been fighting the borough mayor for years over the epa's assault on wood, and successfully voted it down at every chance. They changed tactics and didn't put it on the ballot and passed wood burning laws by a vote of the borough assemblymen.

Now on certain days we can't burn wood, coal, wood pellets, or waste oil.
Any one that sells firwood has 7 different things he has to record, such as who buys it and how many cords, moisture quantity, etc, etc.

So far I have heard of nobody complying with the new laws, but some of the bigger firewood places may be.

xs11jack
12-30-2016, 08:41 PM
The EPA is a classic government bureaucracy. I believe that Thomas Sowell nailed them when he said that the government works on intent not on results.
Ole Jack

runfiverun
12-30-2016, 08:50 PM
sounds like you need to be burning some tires and old tennis shoes on certain day's.

Blackwater
12-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Truly, EPA is one of the few Fed. agencies that'd be THAT outright STUPID! Thank God Hillary won't be our new president elect!!!!!!!!!!!! God bless Donald Trump and his regime, and may he be given the words and thoughts to lead us back to where we were as a nation when we truly WERE a great nation! He's certainly got his work cut out for him!!!!

Bookworm
12-30-2016, 10:22 PM
The problem with a regulatory agency is this:

It must issue regulations. If the agency doesn't issue regulations, its existence cannot be defended.
After the most obvious problems have been regulated into some semblance of order, the search is on for something else to regulate.

The machinery grinds increasingly fine as the decades mount, and we end up with.....well, what we have. Some donkey-brain justifying their job by issuing nonsensical claptrap such as the above.

MUSTANG
12-31-2016, 12:24 AM
Siting by a nice fire in the Kalispell area as I read posts. We use the wood stove to heat the house during the day/evening, and then load the fire box at bed time. After 4-5 hours the Propane kicks in to keep the house at 62F until we get up and I make a new fire. Burn about 4 to 6 cords a year.

The wife and I have been discussing this week the Local/State/Federal Gov't restrictions being imposed in heating with wood/pellets. Our house in Moapa has a fireplace we use to augment heat in the winter also. Could not build the house with the Fireplace today given the restrictions put in place since it was built. Unless the EPA is done away with, or drastically reduced in size/scope/authority I can see them outlawing wood/pellet burning; and then go after the Propane/Natural Gas applications next. Many think that thinking is "NUTS", but ten years ago they would have said the same thing about outlawing Incandescent Light Bulbs that were in use for more than a century.

tommag
12-31-2016, 12:31 AM
Perhaps some of those wonderful beaurocrats can spend some time up there in the interior. Their fat could be rendered into heating oil.

WILCO
12-31-2016, 12:56 AM

Yes. You are correct.

Bzcraig
12-31-2016, 01:22 AM
I just can't get over how stupid they are!

dkf
12-31-2016, 01:34 AM
If the EPA people want to help reduce emissions from wood being burned then they should get off their rears and fight wildfires.

MaryB
12-31-2016, 03:01 AM
EPA would have a cow if they measured what comes off my corn/pellet stove. Burning corn releases nitric acid in rather large amounts. I have stacked concrete blocks under and around my vent to block the wind some and the top ones eat away in 2 years. Vent is 2 feet from the side of the house to keep the acid far away. Screen door 12 feet away is pitted from exhaust blowing across it in winter.

starmac
12-31-2016, 04:41 AM

I actually do not see this as a part of agenda 21, for starters people are moveing out of the city because of it.

44man
12-31-2016, 09:37 AM
I have an oil furnace only run once in 30 years to empty the tank but still had to pump it out to give away. Tank is under ground and I did not want it to rust and dump oil. I am in the eastern panhandle of WV and heat with a wood stove. I have a good house and only make a fire at night. I might use a rick a winter. There are few days we need a fire going all day.
Wood is better then oil for air quality too. Gas is best but none here.

seppos
12-31-2016, 09:55 AM
If you froze to dead you die quickly, if you inhale smoke you might die lung cancer later on.. Eventually we all die.. Even the government can not save us from that.. Maybe the reason is that the goverment can collect taxes from oil and coal, but can not do that if you cut the firewood from your own forrest.

S

toallmy
12-31-2016, 10:00 AM
I have a problem with the whole ' noncompliance idea ' I don't feel as I need to comply if it's not a law .

GhostHawk
12-31-2016, 10:19 AM
Do they really do not understand that there are not roads, gas lines, power lines in most of the state?

Until we have an atomic battery the size of a car battery that will deliver near infinite power for your lifetime those people will need to burn wood. As for sticking a tube up every cow's backside attached to a methane recovery backpack. LOL well ok but only if those bureaucrats from Washington come out and do the work. Including changes, regular maintenance required, etc.

Live tv footage of them trying to do the same to a moose, now I'd pay money to see that.
Stupid SOB's.

Geezer in NH
12-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Yet Africa and Asia burn all the wood at 1000% rates above the USA

Plate plinker
12-31-2016, 10:51 AM
If the EPA people want to help reduce emissions from wood being burned then they should get off their rears and fight wildfires.
Better yet to reduce their carbon footprint the EPA Government type should commit suicide.

Plate plinker
12-31-2016, 10:55 AM
Do they really do not understand that there are not roads, gas lines, power lines in most of the state?

Until we have an atomic battery the size of a car battery that will deliver near infinite power for your lifetime those people will need to burn wood. As for sticking a tube up every cow's backside attached to a methane recovery backpack. LOL well ok but only if those bureaucrats from Washington come out and do the work. Including changes, regular maintenance required, etc.

Live tv footage of them trying to do the same to a moose, now I'd pay money to see that.
Stupid SOB's.

Bulls emit gas too, let them try that. Anybody up for a rodeo?

Don Purcell
12-31-2016, 11:11 AM
Just as much as I would love to see Trump hold to his promise and gut some of these agencies you have to remember that government hates to reduce their own workforce so they will try to create another criminal class with some other "We have to save the people" department and it will more than likely be worse than the one they just got rid of. After Prohibition was rescinded Roosevelt couldn't just have all those booze agents going out and getting real jobs so the next potential criminal class to be developed was the firearm owner with implementation of the National Firearms Act of 1934. Same song different dance.

Green Frog
12-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Of course the farmers of Kalifornistan had their problems with the guvmint too... they were denied water to irrigate crops so that flow could be diverted to help some obscure population of minnows. Maybe they could put the minnows in a big aquarium in the EPA basement and let the farmers have the water back! Just a thought...

Froggie

44man
12-31-2016, 11:56 AM
Kalifornication with lead boolits the same. Stupid birds died from lead when cast goes through into the ground. The state wants water from other states. Sorry, I would dam it off.
All the worst regulations start in the commy state. It is a little China. They blame the rest of the country for the problems they made from demoncrats.
Buy anything and there is a note that says "Not legal in the commy state."

30calflash
12-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Prolly best to invite some hi level EPA types to come live up there for a week without a wood fire.

Bent Ramrod
12-31-2016, 12:25 PM
I believe California was in the throes of banning wood burning in stoves before I fled back to the United States. There is nothing, but nothing, that bureaucrats love more than getting an individual (or a group of them) between two bureaucracies with absolute, but incompatible, demands.

So the hapless manufacturer, under pressure from OSHA to provide "engineering solutions" to his ppb-in-the-workplace "problem" puts in the proper ventilation at great cost, and then is told by the EPA that he is releasing forbidden compounds into the Clean outside Air. Or some "visionary" politician like Jerry Brown demands the use of "sustainable energy" by his subjects, and when the elderly hippies dutifully shut down their oil and gas furnaces and install wood-burning stoves, the California Air Resources Board comes down on them like a ton of bricks for "polluting the Environment."

But that's the point of the exercise. The political elites and their favorite victim groups are exempt from such strictures while everybody else is wrong and evil no matter what they do (or don't do).The really incredible thing is that's so many people loathe themselves and their neighbors enough to go along with this notion, and elect these tyrants year after year.

flint45
12-31-2016, 07:22 PM
I say make those pea brains spend the winter in Alaska with no wood stove and no other heat source. Stay brave Alaska keep burning your wood and stay warm!

tygar
12-31-2016, 08:51 PM
One year I burned over 10 cords. By the next year, I had the house made as energy efficient as possible & had gas lines installed & didn't get a sore back again from cutting & splitting firewood. Only used it for ambiance.

dtknowles
12-31-2016, 09:01 PM
This is an example about why federal regulation is the wrong answer most times, it does not take into account local circumstances. Same problem with a federal minimum wage. These things need to be left to the state and local governments.

Tim

woodbutcher
12-31-2016, 10:38 PM
:twisted: Guys and gals.You don`t even want me to give my take on the initials EPA and FBI.I would be banned for life and the site probably shut down.:twisted::twisted:
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

KAF
01-01-2017, 09:00 AM
I thought trees were a renewable resource.

RayinNH
01-01-2017, 09:58 AM
I just put another log on the fire after reading this.

Wayne Smith
01-01-2017, 10:23 AM
An interesting article designed to inflame, and filled with errors and assumptions.
1) The EPA has done nothing other than to establish that they are out of the Air Quality Standard. Until two years ago Hampton Roads was, the Richmond, VA area and the Northern VA areas are still out of compliance and so are multiple areas in the lower 48. Not only does the govt. provide multiple years for resolution, it also provides financial assistance for change. e.g. until this year you got a $2000 tax rebate here if you changed to a ground to air heat pump - more efficiency. I to not know that the ending of this is related to our becoming in compliance but am suspicious.
2) alternative fuels do exist, especially in Fairbanks, the area about which the article is written. They drive trucks there - think about it.
3) yes, extreme cold is unusual and the general run of the government does not understand extreme cold. But the rules and enforcement are written broadly so that it can be interpreted under local conditions. Again, the EPA has done nothing at this time and probably won't as long as appropriate measures are being taken - over a multiple year process. We have been in the Hampton Roads area for 22 years and just last year the area got back in compliance.

4) Yes, change is necessary but is neither immediate nor draconian.

dragon813gt
01-01-2017, 10:40 AM
The Federal rebate for geothermal heat pumps has been available for well over a decade. If all they are now giving is $2,000 they really cut it down. It used to be for 33% of total install cost. With a well installation the typical cost was $50,000. The government gave you $16,500. They really cut that one down.

The EPA is attacking wood burning stoves as a whole. This has been happening for a long time as well. We do need the EPA but they've overstepped their authority by a lot.

leadman
01-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Phoenix has been out of compliance since about 1966 or 67. I had a truck I bought from my neighbor that had a first year emissions test in the glove box. But they exempted all of the motorcycles from testing now. So now many of the bikes are also stripped of the emissions equipment which is a Federal violation. Still have to test my old motorhome that seldom is used, and then mostly out of the Phoenix non attainment area.

jonp
01-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Sounds like the catalytic converters the EPA forced on the woodstove industry a few years ago. Most people I know bust them out so the stove works right.

quilbilly
01-01-2017, 02:42 PM
I actually do not see this as a part of agenda 21, for starters people are moveing out of the city because of it. That is called an unintended consequence. Unintended consequences are a complete mystery to progressives and are always the fault of counter revolutionaries. The is why progressives are incapable of learning from history or experience so repeat mistakes over and over and over.

Jtarm
01-01-2017, 04:50 PM

Well they could start that by allowing the damn wood to be cut instead of over growing, dying, piling up, and providing fuel for cataclysmic wild fires.

Here's hoping the new EPA chief drains that swamp.

fatnhappy
01-02-2017, 04:14 AM
I thought trees were a renewable resource.

Ha... I bet you work in a paper mill.

Personally, I believe appointing an EPA head that previously sued the EPA to be a masterstroke of common sense.

Bookworm
01-02-2017, 11:24 AM
An interesting article designed to inflame, and filled with errors and assumptions.
1) The EPA has done nothing other than to establish that they are out of the Air Quality Standard. Until two years ago Hampton Roads was, the Richmond, VA area and the Northern VA areas are still out of compliance and so are multiple areas in the lower 48. Not only does the govt. provide multiple years for resolution, it also provides financial assistance for change. e.g. until this year you got a $2000 tax rebate here if you changed to a ground to air heat pump - more efficiency. I to not know that the ending of this is related to our becoming in compliance but am suspicious.
2) alternative fuels do exist, especially in Fairbanks, the area about which the article is written. They drive trucks there - think about it.
3) yes, extreme cold is unusual and the general run of the government does not understand extreme cold. But the rules and enforcement are written broadly so that it can be interpreted under local conditions. Again, the EPA has done nothing at this time and probably won't as long as appropriate measures are being taken - over a multiple year process. We have been in the Hampton Roads area for 22 years and just last year the area got back in compliance.

4) Yes, change is necessary but is neither immediate nor draconian.

True, the all the EPA does is say you are out of compliance. However, the issuance of that statement triggers other things. Several Fed assistance programs are cut or stopped, for example.
Also, any "alternative" fuels are MUCH more expensive, and most don't work as well.

A ground source heat pump would be swell, assuming that electricity is available. You are thinking in the same box that the " I know what's best for you poor ignorant peasants " regulators live in.

The majority of the smaller towns in Alaska use diesel generators to produce power. Even if the "local grid" does reach your home, the power is VERY expensive.

Yes, they drive trucks there. They use expensive, polluting diesel fuel. Or, expensive, polluting gasoline.

Face it - the folks that issue these regs have no idea what will be the real-life consequences of the regs. They look only thru the lens of "We know best", and want to force us (The People) to live the way they want us to.

starmac
01-02-2017, 03:34 PM
This is not affecting smallt town or village Alaska, just Fairbanks/North pole area. The only reason it is affecting us is the wormy liberal Borough Mayor wouldn't stand up to the EPA.

GaryN
01-10-2017, 02:01 AM
I just put another log on the fire after reading this.

I just put a large lump of coal on the fire. Makes me feel all warm inside.