PDA

View Full Version : Patch lube

jtaylor1960
12-30-2016, 05:52 PM
I was talking to a neighbor at the local gun shop today an he mentioned he uses a water souluble oil for patch lube in his .32 cal. squirrel gun.He said with out it he can only shoot a few shots before the bore gets tight from fouling.with the lube he says he can shoot twenty or so shots before needing to clean the barrel.Has anyone else had experience with this type of patch lube.

Fly
12-30-2016, 06:11 PM
Boy you opened a can of worms. EVERYONE has opinion's to what is best. Being 71 years of age I have tried
so many, & most work. But the BEST I have ever used is mink oil. You can buy it at Walgreens sold in a can by

the shoe polish. Track of the wolf sells it. They say there is better than the mink oil in stores. I can't tell any difference.
I coat my patches with it & store them in a empty percussion cap can. They fit perfect & slip in blue jean watch pocket
as it was made for them. Mink oil holds the best accurate spot on shooting lube for patched ball of any thing I have ever
tried. Soluble watered oil works well also, but if the patch is to wet in can contaminate the powder when hunting. Mink oil won,t.

Fly :mrgreen:

rfd
12-30-2016, 07:42 PM
patch lubes are just another subjective part of trad ml's. this is where the opinions of others are just that, and where personal testing and final selection rules.

but i'll tell ya, the most absolute bestest patch lube ever to be found on planet earth is ........................ [smilie=1: :roll: 8-)

GoexBlackhorn
12-30-2016, 08:53 PM
rfd likes his paste shoe polish. I prefer the liquid. I always buy the white liquid shoe polish that's dispensed from inside a ball. It perfectly matches my roundball patch color too.:-?

In all seriousness jtaylor, just about anything works...... even spit. The part where one can shoot x-amount of shots before swabbing/..... well, that never meant anything to me. I swab after every 2nd shot, no matter what stye of ML I'm using.

waksupi
12-30-2016, 09:57 PM
I was talking to a neighbor at the local gun shop today an he mentioned he uses a water souluble oil for patch lube in his .32 cal. squirrel gun.He said with out it he can only shoot a few shots before the bore gets tight from fouling.with the lube he says he can shoot twenty or so shots before needing to clean the barrel.Has anyone else had experience with this type of patch lube.

That's called moose milk. I use it, shoot all day with the same bore condition.

True.grit
12-30-2016, 10:48 PM
Murphy soap and rubbing alcohol 50/50. It cleans with every shot and it is super cheap.

54bore
12-31-2016, 11:14 AM
I seen a recipe recently and made some up, Murphy's oil soap and Castor oil equal parts, i havnt tried the patches yet but im sure they will work. Plan on trying some round ball in my .36 Seneca and .50 Cal Plains pistol