PDA

View Full Version : Thermo cell insoles

bensonwe
12-30-2016, 08:51 AM
Has anyone used the thermal cell heated insoles? I saw them at cabelas last week and was wondering. Are they worth buying? Do they perform as advertised? Ice fishing is here and warm toes sure would be nice.

shooter93
12-30-2016, 05:43 PM
I don't really know as I've never tried them but I noticed the other day that Lowes has heated clothing including coats.

jonp
12-30-2016, 06:28 PM
A pair of liner socks and heavy weight Smartwool socks inside a pair of winter Sorel's keep my feet warm down -30 or more. Not sure I'd spend that much on these unless you just want to try them out. Spend the $80-$100 on good socks

kingstrider
12-30-2016, 09:41 PM
A couple of toe warmers and a couple pair of wool socks are all I ever use when hunting in Kentucky or Ohio. I'd guess Wisconson might be a bit colder though. Its your money and your feet, do what you think is best.

06ackley
12-30-2016, 09:53 PM
I have them and use them during deer season.My feet use to always get cold.Not anymore.Yes they work for me and Im glad I got them.

pull the trigger
12-31-2016, 11:20 AM
I have a pair and they are worthless let alone $100 to me. The one time use packs work way better

snowwolfe
12-31-2016, 11:31 AM
I always have cold feet while sitting at the deer stand. Next year my plan is to buy some really good insulated rubber boots at least 2 sizes to large. One pair of liner socks, then another pair of heavy wool socks, then add another pair of oversized heavy wool socks.

Morgan61
12-31-2016, 11:49 AM
A couple of toe warmers and a couple pair of wool socks are all I ever use when hunting in Kentucky or Ohio. I'd guess Wisconson might be a bit colder though. Its your money and your feet, do what you think is best.

Toe warmers work just fine here in Wisconsin.
I use them all the time when ice fishing.

Daniel964
12-31-2016, 02:25 PM
I use the toe warmers also. Something else that helps is to use the big 18 hour warmers . Put one in both front pants pockets. They will warm the blood going through your femoral arteries and carry it to the rest of your body.

MT Gianni
12-31-2016, 06:34 PM
I find muck boots work better than insoles.

runfiverun
12-31-2016, 09:28 PM
best thing I ever bought was a pair of Baffins.
my feet get cold as do my hands.
the Baffins fixed the foot issue, even in north Dakota.

edler7
01-01-2017, 09:22 PM
I've cut insoles from those thin styrofoam meat trays, they don't work too bad. More insulation than anything, but they stop the cold and the price is right.

My granddad always said "if your feet are cold, put on a hat".

54bore
01-02-2017, 09:13 AM
I have a brand new pair of these i have stil yet to use, got them on sale for 50 bucks I believe? Its plenty cold enough to try em out now. This thread got me to thinking about them sitting in my closet stil in the box. I will charge them up and give em a try

Bookworm
01-02-2017, 11:12 AM

My old Boy Scout leader (Mr. Norris) told us boys the same thing. That was back in the 60's and 70's.

As a completely unrelated tangent - Mr. Norris was a P-38 pilot in Europe during WWII. A decorated officer, he gave freely of his time, helping guide young boys for decades. Truly a great American.
As of last winter he was well into his 90's, and still with us.

MT Gianni
01-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Your blood vessels are closest to the skin at the back of your neck, top of the head and back of your hands. Head has the highest blood flows. If those are exposed and you are trying to insulate your feet you are doing it wrong.

starmac
01-05-2017, 04:43 PM
My toes, fingers and ears get cold easy and will literally freeze to the point of being useless and extremely painfull in short order. I have probably around 15 different pairs of insulated boots and snopacks varying in rateings from 0 down to -160, including a pair of bunny boots, that everybody claimed your feet can not get cold in, hogwash...
At 40 below when I had to be out standing on ice, I would wear good wool socks, use toe warmers, and keep two pairs of boots under the heater in my truck and change every 30 minutes or so, when my toes froze.
I have never tried the thermal insoles, but did try and use some electric socks and they worked. I could comfortably work out at 30 to 40 below for several hours, as long as I ever needed to comfortably.
I have since bought a pair of north slope baffins and cured the cold feet problem. I already had a pair of northern outfitters boots that would keep your feet warm at any temps, but they are not suitable to work in.
Generally the distance between your foot and the ground is what keeps your foot warm, while you have no choice but wear good headgear in extreme temps, no amount of head gear will keep your toes warm,especially if you don't have really good circulation.

Blackwater
01-06-2017, 04:01 PM
I've had a couple of pairs, but it's been years ago. The ones I had got WAY too hot, and it was almost like being given a hot foot! Didn't wear them much, and when I did, as soon as they got good and warm, I'd have to stop and remove the battery so they didn't burn me up.

Don't know if they've improved them enough to have that corrected now, but that's what I experienced some years back. I've never been able to keep my feet really warm in really cold, wet weather here. And it DOES get really icy here in Ga., too! And the typically high humidity acts like a heat sink and just draws all the warmth out of you if you're not really well dressed for it. It's not the arctic, but it's plenty cold for any humans I've encountered! At least at times.

Artful
01-09-2017, 02:40 AM
I believe I've seen single digit temps in Ga. - in Or. we had Canadian fronts come in and -10 F temps.
Worst snow was between 3-4 feet and Oregon snow as wet and heavy. Wool pants and long johns and insulated coverall.
I had insulated leather boots with Heavy Wool socks over wicking thin synthetic socks and a felt insole. Keeping the neck/head/face covered (Balaclava) and layering clothing helps a lot. If your boots are not water proof (wax 'em good) then consider a plastic bag (bread wrapper) works wonders to keep your wool from soaking your feet in ice water.

Mytmousemalibu
01-09-2017, 06:42 AM
I've been in -35°F actual in Wyoming and in the -20's numerous times. The best way to keep warm in those temps is to turn around and go back inside! What REALLY sucks is being on a flightline on airport property. You know, vast flat areas with little to break the speed of the winds up. Pure unadulterated misery... A set of really good fleece thermal underwear (Hot Chillys pepper fleece) with a pair of heavy pants, warm long sleeve shirt, thick insulated Carhartt overalls, 2 layer Columbia Omni-heat coat, nice neoprene balaclava, watch cap over it, snowboarder goggles, 2 layers of heavy wool socks, military muckluks with wool liners and foot warmer & hand warmer packs. Looks like Ralph's lil brother in A Christmas Story but it beats freezing your vegetables off.

jonp
01-09-2017, 06:53 AM
My toes, fingers and ears get cold easy and will literally freeze to the point of being useless and extremely painfull in short order. I have probably around 15 different pairs of insulated boots and snopacks varying in rateings from 0 down to -160, including a pair of bunny boots, that everybody claimed your feet can not get cold in, hogwash...
At 40 below when I had to be out standing on ice, I would wear good wool socks, use toe warmers, and keep two pairs of boots under the heater in my truck and change every 30 minutes or so, when my toes froze.
I have never tried the thermal insoles, but did try and use some electric socks and they worked. I could comfortably work out at 30 to 40 below for several hours, as long as I ever needed to comfortably.
I have since bought a pair of north slope baffins and cured the cold feet problem. I already had a pair of northern outfitters boots that would keep your feet warm at any temps, but they are not suitable to work in.
Generally the distance between your foot and the ground is what keeps your foot warm, while you have no choice but wear good headgear in extreme temps, no amount of head gear will keep your toes warm,especially if you don't have really good circulation.

I had a pair of -100 Sorels that were green if I remember right. Besides the woolblend liners they had not only and extra foot pad but also a reflective one underneath. They were too large and clunky to do much in but ice fish but they sure warm and I have no doubt were warm well below -50. Your and others advice about a hat is well taken. I get a kick out of people saying how cold it is out and have no hat on. Put on a wool touque, we have wool and merino wool ones (leave the cottom one for when it is not that cold) and be warm. If your head is cold, your cold and for goodness sake do not sweat.