PDA

View Full Version : Green Mountain LRH .54

54bore
12-28-2016, 09:05 AM
I have yet to see one of these GM LRH drop in barrels in .54 Cal (Fast Twist) ive seen plenty of .45 and .50s, i own a 45 and 50, but in all my searching not 1 single 54 has turned up? I figured why not ask the source if they actually ever existed or not? I emailed Green Mountain and got a fairly quick response, and here is there answer to me.

Thank you for contacting Green Mountain Rifle Barrel. We did make a 1:28 and 1:70 twist in 54 caliber, now we only offer a 1:70 twist.
Thank you for your inquiry.

Michael Hagar
Distributer/Dealer/Retail Sales
Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.

Now i know for sure im not chasing my tail! LOL, i would love to find one of these barrels! One that is not Roached out garbage that is! Somebody must have one of these tucked away neatly in the original box in a closet, under a bed? Or used but not abused? I have a feeling i could grow a REALLY REALLY long beard waiting! LOL, I have been searching forums, gun sites, etc. almost daily for over a year now with ZERO luck. My guess is they probably didn't make a bunch of these in .54, like they did the .45 and .50

Squeeze
12-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Have oregon barrels http://www.thegunworks.com/GunIndex.cfm Make you one. They can attach breech, and tennon or drill for sights, and wedge. I have several oregon barrels now. cut rifling great shooters, built exactly to specs given. Quick turnaround, great people to deal with.

waarp8nt
12-28-2016, 11:22 AM
I found two new GM barrels in 50 caliber a year ago tucked away at a local gunshop, my friend/boss bought one to use. I just bought the other because it was fair priced and I recently decided to list it via online auction service (it ends tonight).

I suppose my point is they are still out there, but not very plentiful. I only remember seeing one in 54 cal. I hit many local gunshops, gun shows and black powder events. I always check the muzzleloaders over closely to see if there are any deals or aftermarket parts. If I see something worth the money I will let you know.

johnson1942
12-28-2016, 11:53 AM
i agree with squeeze, have the oregon rifle barrel co. make you one, they make good barrels.

johnson1942
12-28-2016, 12:03 PM
if your going to paperpatch a 1/28 twist 54 cal., the bullet would have to be 1.25 long for great accuracy and that is quite a chuck of lead. i would go with a slower twist like a 1/32 or close to that. a 1/35 twist would shoot a 1 inch long pp 54 cal bullet perfectly and that sounds more reasonable for comfort shooting and would bring down anything your pointing that gun at.

bubba.50
12-28-2016, 02:16 PM
I found two new GM barrels in 50 caliber a year ago tucked away at a local gunshop, my friend/boss bought one to use. I just bought the other because it was fair priced and I recently decided to list it via online auction service (it ends tonight).

I suppose my point is they are still out there, but not very plentiful. I only remember seeing one in 54 cal. I hit many local gunshops, gun shows and black powder events. I always check the muzzleloaders over closely to see if there are any deals or aftermarket parts. If I see something worth the money I will let you know.

I've looked on evil-bay, armslist, & gunbroker with no luck so, where did ya hide this Easter-Egg?

54bore
12-28-2016, 02:33 PM
One never knows where you might find these? After watching Idahorons videos with his .45 Hotrod Hawken i wanted one! I did a bunch of searching for a barrel, i seen a hand full of the GM LRH .45 Cal barrels sell on ebay for 200-350 dollars, i knew that Green Mountain no longer made them but i thought what the heck im gonna call them and ask, i knew it was a looooooong shot but i had nothing to lose, turned out they had between 40-50 1" Drop in LRH .45 Cal barrels STIL IN STOCK!!! I figured they must want a mint for them? NOPE! I got my brand new .45 LRH directly from Green Mountain for 70 bucks!! It was under 100 bucks shipped to my door. That was back in the summer, i can't remember exactly when? But they stil had a little stock pile of them. Mine came with really nice Williams fiber optic sights, nipple, and a delrin ramrod. I asked if they might have a 50 or 54 laying around? Nope they didn't, just the .45s, i did not ask them at that time if they actually made a LRH in 54 Cal, i knew they did the .45 and .50 but NOW i know for sure they made them in .54 as well. Anyone interested in a .45 Cal LRH might give them a call and ask, you might be pleasantly surprised like i was. These barrels have been sitting on a shelf or wherever they store them for a LOOOONG time! Its also possible that someone figured it out and bought the whole bunch and off to Ebay they went? You never know tho?

12-28-2016, 02:53 PM
Long ago I got one of the .54 Green Mt. barrels for my Renegade. I'll never part with it!. It's fantastic.

Also, just wondering what does "LRH" stand for? I know once I am told, I'll probably have one of those "V-8" moments.

waarp8nt
12-28-2016, 02:56 PM
where did ya hide this Easter-Egg?

The place (or Bay) of which we do not speak.

54bore
12-28-2016, 03:03 PM
If money were no issue i would have bought every one they had for the price i paid! I was watching these barrels sell for around 300 bucks new on Ebay at the time i bought mine directly from Green Mountain for 70 bucks. The .50s are a bit harder to find but i stil see them, i see waarp8nt's barrel on Ebay now, they sell for a MINT! I ended up finding a like new Stainless GM LRH .50 from another forum and got a decent deal on it. That has become my ABSOLUTE favorite barrel in my stable of muzzleloaders, what a pleasure to shoot and clean!! If i could change anything about the New .45 LRH barrel i got from Green Mountain it would be Stainless, i would MUCH MUCH rather it be Stainless instead of blued, but for 70 bucks im not complaining! When i get done shooting and start the cleaning process on my Stainless .50 it makes me smile! I can have that barrel SQUEEKY clean in a jiff, pulling cotton white patches EVERY TIME! This is NOT the case with my blued barrel, after i get it thoroughly clean with the pump, plunge method in a bucket of warm soapy water and I'm pulling cotton white patches something happens during the dry off stage, i push a few new dry cotton white patches down to dry the bore out and lo and behold i get a tinge of brown? My thoughts are carbon content in the steel? Flash rust? Im not sure why the blued barrel does this? Once i get it bone dry I run a few oily patches thru it and they come back clean, when i take it back out to shoot and dry the oil out of the barrel the patches come back nice and clean, i have learned to stop worrying about it, nothing i can do to stop it. My Stainless .50 has NEVER EVER done this. I definitely wish all of my barrels were like my Stainless .50 GM LRH barrel, Sure makes shooting and cleaning a PLEASURE!!

54bore
12-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Long ago I got one of the .54 Green Mt. barrels for my Renegade. I'll never part with it!. It's fantastic.

Also, just wondering what does "LRH" stand for? I know once I am told, I'll probably have one of those "V-8" moments.

LRH stands for 'Long Range Hunter' it was their Fast Twist barrels

54bore
12-28-2016, 05:51 PM
It's highly doubtful that Green Mountain will ever make these LRH drop in barrels again, but by some odd chance they ever do i would be first in line for the Stainless, i would buy 1 of every Caliber! Knowing me i would likely buy an extra of each to shove under the bed!

waarp8nt
12-28-2016, 06:46 PM
^^^ I agree, would love to see them produced again, even if limited prouction. I would like to see a 1 inch stainless steel barrel in 45 caliber, so I can stuff it in a Renegade stock. I bet they would carry a hefty price. However, not likely to happen with T/C shutting down production of their traditional muzzeloaders. Wishful thinking I suppose...

idahoron
12-28-2016, 07:43 PM
I have a new in box 1" stainless 45 LRH sitting in my gun safe.

waarp8nt
12-28-2016, 07:53 PM
I have a new in box 1" stainless 45 LRH sitting in my gun safe.

In the words of my teenage daughter....I'm jelly (jealous).

idahoron
12-28-2016, 07:56 PM
When I got all of mine the first barrel I got was a 32" 1-18 twist 1" across the flats. I call it the business rifle.
After that I got two Stainless 50's 1" across the flats The flatlander and the far speaker. I got 1 Stainless 45, 15/16" The Hot Rod and one that is 1" across the flats.
I wanted to set my son and my self up for life. Each one of us has a stainless 45 and a stainless 50. Then I have the business rifle.
That 1-18 twist has sit in the gun safe for way too long I need to shoot it this spring. I have some new Paper patch bullets to feed her.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Guard11_zpse0894f9c.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/HawkenwithRecoilpad1.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Flatlander2.jpg

idahoron
12-28-2016, 07:56 PM

Ha Ha Ha

waarp8nt
12-28-2016, 08:51 PM
I wanted to set my son and my self up for life. Each one of us has a stainless 45 and a stainless 50. Then I have the business rifle.
That 1-18 twist has sit in the gun safe for way too long I need to shoot it this spring.

Sound wisdom, I like the way you think. Be sure to post some results of the 1-18, would love to see it in action!

12-28-2016, 09:08 PM
idahoron - Those are beautiful. You have a lucky son.

idahoron
12-28-2016, 09:14 PM
I shot this rifle actually quite a bit. First I tried 475 grain Whitworth greasers.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/22507-7-07_whitworth_2_5.jpg

Then I tried some Lee 405 gr hollow base. In this picture I shot three with grease and three with paper patch.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/11-24-07--_45-70.jpg

About this time I got the stainless 45 barrel and the Hot Rod was born. I didn't go back and finish the work I had started with the 1-18 Business rifle.

idahoron
12-28-2016, 09:21 PM
idahoron - Those are beautiful. You have a lucky son.

Thanks

54bore
12-28-2016, 11:56 PM

I have had your barrel in my watch list on Ebay, i didnt need it, was just curious what a Blued 50 Cal GM LRH would sell for? To bad you didnt have a Truck load of those to sell huh? LOL!! I bet your friend/boss has one for sell? Just think what a Stainless GM LRH .50 would bring? What ive seen they sell for substantially more! I would not be a tiny bit surprised if that new Stainless barrel of Ron's would bring 500 bucks, If it was a .50 instead of a .45 i would BANK ANY AMOUNT ON IT. Sure Glad i found a Stainless .50, it will be staying with me!!

waarp8nt
12-29-2016, 12:11 AM
My friend/boss had a Hawkens he put together as a young man and like most people he didn't care for the barrel properly....wish I would have talked him into having Ed Rayl bore it up a size so I could have sold his barrel too...lol. Not really, I have a lot of respect for him (friend/boss) and don't mind seeing him happy.

54bore
12-29-2016, 07:26 AM
My friend/boss had a Hawkens he put together as a young man and like most people he didn't care for the barrel properly....wish I would have talked him into having Ed Rayl bore it up a size so I could have sold his barrel too...lol. Not really, I have a lot of respect for him (friend/boss) and don't mind seeing him happy.

You might talk him in to taking better care of this barrel! The .45 LRH that i bought for 70 bucks from Green Mountain is IDENTICAL to the .50 LRH you just sold on ebay, same blued barrel, same Williams fiber optic sights, and delrin Ramrod. Just a FYI, My .45 is a PITA to clean!! The bore rusts REALLY REALLY easy for some reason? Again my guess is the amount of carbon in the steel? Flash rust? Im not sure why? But i can say with all honesty it is by far the worst barrel i own for doing this!! If your Friend/boss neglects his .50 it will make a good pry bar in short order!! My Stainless is an ABSOLUTE dream to clean, takes no time to get cotton white patches and stay that way. I thoroughly clean my guns the same day i shoot them, as quick as i get home i get them taken care of! Point being, some guns clean easier than others, and my GM 45 is awful! Stainless steel is EXACTLY what it stands for, STAIN LESS it will stil corrode and go to garbage, just takes longer to do so, living in Wet country, hunting in the rain, snow, sleet, hail, Stainless is a darn good friend!! Ive seen it said that they dont look 'Period Correct' or whatever they call it? I dont give half a RATTS @SS!! I will take flawless function over 'Period correct' ANY DAY!! I respect those guys, their rifles and reasons, as they should mine! I love old sidelock percussion guns, i cant seem to get the inline bug, ive looked at them but they dont interest me.

idahoron
12-29-2016, 09:20 PM
I

Just think what a Stainless GM LRH .50 would bring? What ive seen they sell for substantially more! I would not be a tiny bit surprised if that new Stainless barrel of Ron's would bring 500 bucks, If it was a .50 instead of a .45 i would BANK ANY AMOUNT ON IT. Sure Glad i found a Stainless .50, it will be staying with me!!

I told some guys on anther forum the ridicules price a man offered for my Hawken this year. Some believed it but I am thinking some didn't. The fact is these Stainless barrels are like pre 64 winchesters. At some point they are going to be really valuable. I know the guy's offer made me think but only for a second. I can't part with my guns.

54bore
12-29-2016, 11:42 PM
I told some guys on anther forum the ridicules price a man offered for my Hawken this year. Some believed it but I am thinking some didn't. The fact is these Stainless barrels are like pre 64 winchesters. At some point they are going to be really valuable. I know the guy's offer made me think but only for a second. I can't part with my guns.

Like i said, I'm sure happy i found the Stainless .50 LRH i have! it was taken very good care of and should last me my lifetime. It's rare to see the Stainless GM barrels and when you do they bring a MINT!

54bore
12-29-2016, 11:47 PM
My blued .45 LRH shoots AMAZING but i would trade it in a fast heartbeat plus a decent amount of cash for the Stainless version!

johnson1942
12-30-2016, 12:23 PM
54 bore, send that non stainless steel barrel to be cryo treated and you will notice a difference in cleaning it and also get faster feet per second out of the muzzle. really slicks the bore up. also more accurate after treating.

waksupi
12-30-2016, 04:12 PM
54 bore, send that non stainless steel barrel to be cryo treated and you will notice a difference in cleaning it and also get faster feet per second out of the muzzle. really slicks the bore up. also more accurate after treating.

It's supposed to be minus 40 here next week. Should I just leave my guns outside?

[smilie=1:

johnson1942
12-31-2016, 02:09 AM
waksupi, i used to live up at belcourt and 20 years ago it got down to 60 below and 125 below wind chill. i said to my wife, enough of this ------- and we moved to western ne. you live in beautiful wonderful country but you pay a price for it. if i wanted cold i would move to the lake country of northern minn. however i could never ever get used to it again. you get so much snow up where you live it makes roofs cave in if not built right. we are getting 15 below next monday it says on the computer, that enough for me. by the way 40 below may snap a axle but wont do a darn thing for a gun barrel. what do you have up there, 6 weeks of summer?

54bore
12-31-2016, 05:52 AM
Im not that far from Mr Waksupi 2-3 hrs my guess? How far are you from Sandpoint Idaho Waksupi? I've never been to Flathead Lake, wife and i plan to this spring/summer i will know then. We get quite a bit of snow here, we have 18" or so now, and our snow months haven't quite started yet. I havnt seen a really deep one yet (3-4 ft seems the average here) I've lived here 6 years. Ive been told 96 and 97 were big ones here, 6 ft or more of snow in town. My folks live 9 miles out of town and they get SUBSTANTIALLY more snow than we do in town, My dad told me he didnt need a ladder to get on his roofs, he could walk straight up on the roofs from all the snow he had shoveled, looking out the living room window you kinda had to tip toe to see out over the snow, and you made sure to shovel out around the windows or you didnt see anything. I hope we get a REALLY big one this year, drive some of these prune pickers outa here!