PDA

View Full Version : Anybody make a "plug and play" PID temp controler?

curator
12-26-2016, 11:35 PM
I bought a PID temperature controller and two thermocouples that I attached to my two electric lead pots about a year and a half ago. WOW! it worked great! Keeping the temperature of the melt within a couple of degrees mad a big difference in the weight consistency of my cast boolits. Then the on/off switch burned out. I contacted the company that originally made it to find the owner/manager/worker has been having serious health problems and no longer makes them. I got a new switch but there must be a reason the original burned out as replacing it did not resurrect the controller.

I want a new one. Collecting all the bits and pieces and wiring one up for myself is not an option. I made a crystal radio 60 years ago for Boy Scout merit badge, but that's the extent of my electrical engineering skill. Besides, I'd rather be casting bullets for next week's shoot.

Is there a vender on Cast Boolits or a company one of you might know of who supplies these controllers? PM me with information if possible.

Thanks!
curator
Bonita Springs, Florida

Phlier
12-26-2016, 11:38 PM
Yup! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?257435-PID-Temperature-Controller-s

Beagle333
12-27-2016, 12:04 AM
I'd probably get it from OBIII as well.

curator
12-27-2016, 12:36 AM
Phlier,

Many thanks! I prefer to purchase something from a fellow cast boolits member

LabGuy
12-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Curator, pm inbound.

B. Lumpkin
01-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Very nice PID unit! So all one would have to do is plug in the pot, put the probe in the lead, and then cast away?

VHoward
01-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Yes. It's ideal if you can mount the probe so the tip of the probe is within an inch of the nozzle. That way, the pid will see the temp of the lead that's being poured rather than what's right next to the heating band.

B. Lumpkin
01-01-2017, 03:21 PM
Very nice! I see where my next allowance money will be spent.