PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of the Unkown Soldier - new from May 2016

Artful
12-26-2016, 10:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrVtzUoZ-yQ

Published on May 5, 2016
Female Sergeant of the Guard relieves the sentry of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is guarded 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and in any weather by Tomb Guard sentinels. Sentinels, all volunteers, are considered to be the best of the elite 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), headquartered at Fort Myer, Va.

On March 4, 1921, the United States Congress approved the burial of an unidentified American serviceman from World War I in the plaza of the new Memorial Amphitheater. On November 11, 1921, the unknown soldier brought back from France was interred below a three-level marble tomb. The bottom two levels are six marble sections each and the top at least nine blocks with a rectangular opening in the center of each level through which the unknown remains were placed through the tomb and into the ground below. A stone other than marble covers the rectangular opening.

Artful
12-26-2016, 10:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z7hyxHxFvo

Published on Mar 12, 2015
Heavy rain at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Arlington, Virginia at Arlington National Cemetery); Second scene at 1:49. Dramatic video standing outside with the Sentinels. My original video of dedicated Tomb Guards (Sentinels) posted in heavy weather conditions. Sound edited in stereo.

For more information on The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Sentinels who guard it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_...

All recording was respectful and permissible. Original video, all rights reserved. Thanks for watching!

Artful
12-26-2016, 10:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaiDIeYlgTM

What a difference 9 years has made. Gay "marriage", a rainbow-colored White House with "transgender" bathrooms, ubiquitous tattoos and piercings on everyone under 40, socialized heath care, and unconstitutional violations of the Constitution directly from the Oval Office. America is gone and because of demographics she's never coming back to the same place. Like a river you can't ever go back to the exact same place.

Blackwater
12-26-2016, 11:51 PM
One of my young cousins did a term as one of the guards there. I'm so proud of him! He's a great young man, and possessed of real courage and commitment, and a soft but solid heart. And it's not necessarily true that we can't "go back." Yeah, it's unlikely, but we have the very best chance now that we could have ever have hoped for. Will we succeed in returning the nation to what it once was? I have no idea. All I know is that we've got a very good chance at it now.

Thanks for a great post again, Artful. The Unknown still matters, and means something to a lot of us, even today.

Moleman-
12-27-2016, 12:36 AM
Have been there twice. One Time about 2008 with my buddy who was assigned to the Honor Guard at the time (too short to stand guard at the Tomb though). A "lady" got a phone call during the changing of the guard ceremony, took the call and started laughing and carrying on like she was at starbucks. They stopped the ceremony and the idiot raised a finger up to the Sergeant of the Guard when he asked her to put her phone away. I wish I would of had a video of what followed. The booming voice of the Sergeant of the Guard knocking her off of the self important pedestal she had placed herself on. She quickly realized the degree of her stupidity and faded away into the crowd looking an inch tall. The second time was to take my kids when we were there when the Government was shut down. Seemed to me like it cost more money to close the National Mall than it would of to keep it open. Figured they wouldn't close Arlington although the Lee house wasn't open.

Bzcraig
12-27-2016, 01:23 AM
It is an amazing and sobering experience. They were given the opportunity to stand down when Katrina hit the area but they refused!

smokeywolf
12-27-2016, 01:58 AM
One of the few examples left in this country of the honor that used to be found in most of America.

Hardcast416taylor
12-27-2016, 06:27 AM
About the only thing missing from the white house lawn with the current adminstration of not caring about traditions and honor and especially the American Heart and Values system is several rusty stripped old cars sitting on cement blocks!Robert

jonp
12-27-2016, 08:15 AM
Did I miss this? There are very strict Height and Weight requirements to serve there. Did they change them so women could do it?