PDA

View Full Version : Safety glasses

sutherpride59
12-26-2016, 03:53 PM
Well it's a good thing I wear glasses to start with! I was at my brother-in-laws house and he has a small 5lb lead pot and a ladle to cast with but he hadn't gotten into doing it just yet. He asked me to show him what to do so we went out and set it up on a table that came up to about my stomach. Well after explained everything we started casting with long sleeves and welding gloves on, I cut the sprue and dropped it in the pot softly and easily but it still magaged to splash a little in the strangest way. I had a small piece of hot lead fly STARIGHT UP right onto the center of the lens of my left eye. I looked at my brother-in-law and told him to remeber to wear safety glasses and pointed out the lead spec stuck to my plastic lens.

just a little safety reminder to those of us who don't wear sleeves or gloves or glasses when casting STUFF happens. Be safe out there.

sutherpride59
12-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Just FYI my home casting setup is 150% safer cuz I have to worry about lead levels for work and have to make sure I don't burn up the garage in my rent house.

tazman
12-27-2016, 01:03 AM
My optometrist thought I was nuts when I told him I wanted safety lenses in my everyday glasses. He knows I am retired and couldn't figure out why I wanted them.
This way I don't need to get special glasses to shoot or cast with.
I was already used to the extra weight from the glasses I wore to work.

Mr. Farknocker
12-27-2016, 06:22 AM
I averted a disaster 3 weeks ago when I.was melting shredded lead into ingots. The lead was given to me by a fisherman who had stored the lead outside in gallon buckets. Apparently, moisture was trapped in the shredded lead and when I added a laddle of the scrap lead to the pot of molten lead, it popped and two speckles of molten lead landed on my cheek. I normally wear long sleeves, welding or leather construction gloves and safety glassess and this go-round was no different from any other. My set up, however was inadequate as i suffered a minor burn to my face. I reluctantly continued the process and turned away from the pot whenever I added another scoop of scrap lead to the pot. After a couple of minutes, of doing this i got nervous and went back into my workroom and grabbed a full face welding helmet (the kind with the tilt lens) for some extra protection. The very first time i put the mask to my face and poured the next laddle of scrap lead to the pot, it exploded. The explosion sent lead up about six feet into the air and in every direction. Molten lead hit the face mask and the clear acrylic lens protecting my eyes and landed on my shirt, pants and the wall behind and above me and all over the burner and concrete floor below. I miraculously escaped without a single burn. Had i decided not to wear the bulky awkward welding helmet, I would have suffered severe burns to my face and could have lost my eyes. I stopped what I was doing then immediately ran to Homedepot where I picked up a ful face acrylic shield mask and continued making ingots while wearing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Tatume
12-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Adding cold lead to molten lead is a safety issue. Adding lead known to be moist is a surefire way to cause steam explosions. These can result in serious injuries. I don't know the source or purpose of your "shredded" lead, but the safe way to melt it is to pack a cold pot, heat it until it melts, and then pour it off. Do not add this material to an already molten pot of lead.

Bob in St. Louis
12-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Can't tell you how happy I am that all you guys are willing to continue hurting yourselves and telling us new guys how to avoid the pitfalls.
Tell ya what...there's nothing better in life than learning from other peoples mistakes.
My wife would be unhappy if I mess up my pretty face.

Tatume
12-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Can't tell you how happy I am that all you guys are willing to continue hurting yourselves and telling us new guys how to avoid the pitfalls.

Don't know who "all you guys" is, but I don't think this is a constructive comment.

Bob in St. Louis
12-27-2016, 01:46 PM
I wasn't trying to be mean. I was talking to the guys that admitted hurting themselves. Was actually trying to be very light-hearted in fact. My apologies.

DougGuy
12-27-2016, 02:15 PM
I'm a big believer in safety glasses AND wearing gloves for even the most mundane chores. I like the wrap around style made by Gateway, plenty of choices of colors and shades and they do make bifocals in whatever strength you need. Their blue mirrors are the BEST EVER driving glasses that I have found, and they work really well riding a motorcycle in 70mph wind. Hard to beat one pair of glasses that do everything really well but these do..

This seller is one of the best sellers I have dealt with in many years, always quick to answer email and will ship them ever how you want them shipped, very reasonable cost for the glasses and equally reasonable shipping. I often give these as gifts to welders just starting out..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-Safety-Starlite-Glasses-Pick-The-Style-of-Your-Choice-/190615655886?var=&hash=item2c619415ce:m:mQYuiF1gmDNNh5UH56xKdXQ

fourarmed
12-27-2016, 02:36 PM
I did not take Bob in St. Louis's comment negatively. It reminded me of one of the favorite sayings of a late friend of mine: Experience is a wonderful teacher, if you're too stupid to learn any other way. I'm sure the original poster - with some chagrin - would now agree.

Bob in St. Louis
12-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Thank you.

tazman
12-27-2016, 03:38 PM
I did not take Bob in St. Louis's comment negatively. It reminded me of one of the favorite sayings of a late friend of mine: Experience is a wonderful teacher, if you're too stupid to learn any other way. I'm sure the original poster - with some chagrin - would now agree.

I agree with that.

Mr. Farknocker
12-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Adding cold lead to molten lead is a safety issue. Adding lead known to be moist is a surefire way to cause steam explosions. These can result in serious injuries. I don't know the source or purpose of your "shredded" lead, but the safe way to melt it is to pack a cold pot, heat it until it melts, and then pour it off. Do not add this material to an already molten pot of lead.

Noted. The problem was that the shredded lead was kept outside and exposed to the elements. If the lead was dumped out of the buckets and spread out so as to allow it to thoroughly dry under roof for a lengthy period of time, the problem would not have never occurred.

I've been melting and casting for several years now and never had a problem until I attempted to melt shredded lead given to me in buckets that had been stored out in the open and not taking the time to ensure that the lead was absolutely dry before adding it to the pot.

I'm not offended by Bob's comments as I do not construe his comments seriously about being happy about hurting oneself for his benefit. Rather, I construe his comments constructively as being appreciative that we are willing to take the time to post about our mishaps so that others may learn and be spared.

As you can tell by the number of comments I have posted, I don't do so often. However, I felt it necessary to chime in because the topic is serious enough to warrant me lying in my bed after midnight trying to write coherent sentences with my cell phone.

Anyways I hope everyone who casts their own stays safe through the Holidays.

Aloha

~F

fredj338
12-27-2016, 04:58 PM
I do not understand why some guys persist in the idea of dropping stuff routinely into their casting pot. I collect the sprues in a wooden bowl, return them all at once to the pot or in two portions. That way my face isn't over the pot every cast. Safety glasses are good though, a clear face shield better.

sutherpride59
12-28-2016, 03:06 AM
i averted a disaster 3 weeks ago when i.was melting shredded lead into ingots. The lead was given to me by a fisherman who had stored the lead outside in gallon buckets. Apparently, moisture was trapped in the shredded lead and when i added a laddle of the scrap lead to the pot of molten lead, it popped and two speckles of molten lead landed on my cheek. I normally wear long sleeves, welding or leather construction gloves and safety glassess and this go-round was no different from any other. My set up, however was inadequate as i suffered a minor burn to my face. I reluctantly continued the process and turned away from the pot whenever i added another scoop of scrap lead to the pot. After a couple of minutes, of doing this i got nervous and went back into my workroom and grabbed a full face welding helmet (the kind with the tilt lens) for some extra protection. The very first time i put the mask to my face and poured the next laddle of scrap lead to the pot, it exploded. The explosion sent lead up about six feet into the air and in every direction. Molten lead hit the face mask and the clear acrylic lens protecting my eyes and landed on my shirt, pants and the wall behind and above me and all over the burner and concrete floor below. I miraculously escaped without a single burn. Had i decided not to wear the bulky awkward welding helmet, i would have suffered severe burns to my face and could have lost my eyes. I stopped what i was doing then immediately ran to homedepot where i picked up a ful face acrylic shield mask and continued making ingots while wearing it.

Sent from my samsung-sm-n910a using tapatalk

holy s#|+!!!!!

sutherpride59
12-28-2016, 03:10 AM

I sure do agree!!! I guess my main takeaway to share with others is that even when dealing with a tiny little pot of lead it's still molten lead and to be treated with respect. If you don't have the safety gear needed then wait to cast until you do.

sutherpride59
12-28-2016, 03:19 AM
I do not understand why some guys persist in the idea of dropping stuff routinely into their casting pot. I collect the sprues in a wooden bowl, return them all at once to the pot or in two portions. That way my face isn't over the pot every cast. Safety glasses are good though, a clear face shield better.

Well.... my normal casting setup has a moveable range hood over the top of it so normally when I drop my stories back in there is no splash back danger as any splash is caught by the range hood. I normally do collect my sprues and place them all back in at one time but I was using a 5lbs pot that was only half full at the time so if I collected all the sorriest that would have ended up being about 1/2 the pot if I casted till empty.

Blackwater
12-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Excellent point in the OP. And FWIW, I've found safety glasses on sale at Harbor Freight for only $1-2. Bought several, and keep them laid about where I think I might need them. Best to put them in some sort of cheap box you were going to throw away to keep dust off them, but so often, we tend to not "go get 'em" and "take a chance" without them. If we have some cheap ones right there at us, it's hard not to use them. At least when you've gotten old and lazy like me?

.22-10-45
12-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Molten lead isn't the only hazard with our hobby...I was melting beeswax for a pan lube formula when I dropped a spoon in the mix...both lens spattered with wax.

Teddy (punchie)
12-28-2016, 08:48 PM
Me I'm glad your Okay . Be Safe!!

labdwakin
01-09-2017, 01:31 AM

Fred! Long time no see!

Bob in St. Louis
01-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Fred! Long time no see!
I find humor in you saying that in a thread titled, "Safety glasses".

Thompsoncustom
01-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Yicks, I've had some burns but nothing close to my eyes before. I've always wore gloves but it's time I get a pair of dedicated casting glasses.

44man
01-09-2017, 09:36 AM
The Harbor Frt glasses are great, light with enough coverage and cheap. Since I don't need glasses anymore I get them out for everything.
I never splash lead and dump sprues in a can. Always knew about moisture and lead. Been casting over 70 years in a "T" shirt with no gloves.
But glasses are important. My biggest fear are percussion caps on a ML.

alamogunr
01-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Luckily I've never had an accident but I do wear safety glasses when dealing with molten lead. I've got a couple of pairs left over from when I was working(retired 10 years). I've had the lenses replaced in one when my eyes had changed to the point that I wasn't comfortable wearing them. Will probably have the other set replaced when I have to have cataract surgery. Just not sure when that will be. I also use the face mask but don't really like it because it adds a little distortion. Probably need to get a better quality mask.

I do appreciate the occasional thread pointing out the hazards we face in dealing with molten lead.

Tom W.
01-09-2017, 02:21 PM
I was I Home Depot last week and looked at a face shield. I'll be getting one in short order, before I start my next casting session. When I worked at the sawmill I was the guy who cast Babbitt for the gang saw. I dunno how I managed to not get burned from the tinsle fairy, as I was not nearly as cautious at work. I would stack a pile of wet, oil and water covered Babbitt plates on the side of the lead pot, poke them with an old broken shovel handle and run like hello! I think that pot would hold 400 pounds. Even took a mold or two and my small hand ladel upon occasion. Didn't do such at home. I was ultra careful when casting boolits.

Phlier
01-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Luckily I've never had an accident but I do wear safety glasses when dealing with molten lead. I've got a couple of pairs left over from when I was working(retired 10 years). I've had the lenses replaced in one when my eyes had changed to the point that I wasn't comfortable wearing them. Will probably have the other set replaced when I have to have cataract surgery. Just not sure when that will be. I also use the face mask but don't really like it because it adds a little distortion. Probably need to get a better quality mask.

I do appreciate the occasional thread pointing out the hazards we face in dealing with molten lead.

Yeah, cataract surgery is such a hassle. I had it done last May at the ripe old age of 49. I have to wear glasses to see anything up close. Wearing light framed progressive correcting glasses doesn't qualify as "safety glasses" by a long stretch.

So I wear a face shield while casting. While reloading, I wear safety goggles over the top of my prescription glasses. The glare from the face shield while casting and the fog battle of the goggles while reloading are very annoying. But as annoying as they are, it beats having a set of perfectly cast lead eyeballs or a primer sitting where your eyeball used to.

I haven't had to remind my 15 year old son about wearing safety glasses/face masks since I told him that three years ago.

Bob in St. Louis
01-09-2017, 02:49 PM
.... and the fog battle of the goggles while reloading are very annoying..
Have you tried something like this?

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/79369464-2324-46df-8a80-03f5db9b2550_1.8fb9b02d51df660c855762f47a6dad96.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

alamogunr
01-09-2017, 05:36 PM

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/79369464-2324-46df-8a80-03f5db9b2550_1.8fb9b02d51df660c855762f47a6dad96.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

That would be worth a try. I assume I can get it at the auto parts store.

I guess I have been lucky so far. At 74 I haven't been told that cataract surgery is needed, only in the future.

Bob in St. Louis
01-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Yip, any place that sells car care products. Parts store, wallyworld, etc...
You might even me able to find a couple ounce "trial size" or "travel size".

RP
01-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Something I have not seen pointed out here is if you allow your melt to cold down just enough to become solid you can add to the pot with out fear. It only takes a few mins to heat it back up since your only dropped the temp enough to add to the pot. May sound slower but for me it seems faster since I am not starting with a cold pot.

alamogunr
01-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Something I have not seen pointed out here is if you allow your melt to cold down just enough to become solid you can add to the pot with out fear. It only takes a few mins to heat it back up since your only dropped the temp enough to add to the pot. May sound slower but for me it seems faster since I am not starting with a cold pot.

I suppose that could be considered "common sense" but as we all know, it's not that common. THANKS!

fredj338
01-09-2017, 08:12 PM
I was I Home Depot last week and looked at a face shield. I'll be getting one in short order, before I start my next casting session. When I worked at the sawmill I was the guy who cast Babbitt for the gang saw. I dunno how I managed to not get burned from the tinsle fairy, as I was not nearly as cautious at work. I would stack a pile of wet, oil and water covered Babbitt plates on the side of the lead pot, poke them with an old broken shovel handle and run like hello! I think that pot would hold 400 pounds. Even took a mold or two and my small hand ladel upon occasion. Didn't do such at home. I was ultra careful when casting boolits.

I don't wear a face shield when casting but do like to when melting scrap. Ya never know what can happen there. Casting w/ my bo pots, clean alloy, preheated ingots to add, not much to go wrong there.

Phlier
01-09-2017, 09:00 PM

I gotta get some of that.

Back in the '80's, there was an anti fog stuff for scuba divers called "snake oil", and it was amazing at preventing fog.

Since I have problems with fog on the inside of our cars, I'll give the Rain-X a try.

Silverboolit
01-10-2017, 03:31 PM
All great advice, but remember that your clothes can be just as important. 100% cotton will usually stop any splashes from doing any harm. Blends and polyester shirts, pants, socks, etc. will melt and stick to your skin. When I am casting, I just use a cotton towel over my knees as I sit using my bottom pour furnace. You may be surprised at just how hot a sprue can be when it lands in your lap, not to mention liquid lead!!

TexasGrunt
01-10-2017, 06:05 PM
I've never had a problem adding cold lead to hot lead.

As long as it's dry it's not a problem.

Here in Texas I've seen condensation on lead ingots when it's 80 out. Humidity was 99% and the ingots were sitting on the floor which made them just a hair cooler than the air. Instant sweat on the lead.

Many times I've used lead that's in the 10-20 degree range and added it straight to a molten pot. No problem.

Geezer in NH
01-11-2017, 02:27 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-face-shield-46526.html

Better than glasses. My son and I use these for grinding knives, melting lead and casting.

With it you just wear the glasses you use to see with. Ours are safety glasses anyway as we hunt and shoot wearing them.

44man
01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
That would be worth a try. I assume I can get it at the auto parts store.

I guess I have been lucky so far. At 74 I haven't been told that cataract surgery is needed, only in the future.
I had both eyes fixed and am 20-20. Got rid of the stinking glasses and am back to sunglasses and another just to read close up but it is getting better with time. Now is the time for more safety glasses. Plain is the word now. No bifocal junk. I am 79 and see as good as before the fog.
Now a funny, wear glasses with ear muffs and they fog up! Can't breath from my ears anymore I guess! :drinks:
I was so bad I could not see good with a scope. The sun causes cataracts and when I needed glasses for everything is when they started. Even the glasses that get dark failed me. You still get light magnified to your eyes.
When young, never go in the sun without good sunglasses, they held me off for many years.