PDA

View Full Version : Saving space...storage...containers...your solutions & pictures

OS OK
12-26-2016, 02:57 PM
I don't know how anybody else does it...trying to be efficient with the space you have allotted in the shop for all the things we need to stock in our handloading hobby. I've given one corner of a 2 car garage to it but I need to have a full wood shop and welding facilities too. It ain't easy. The 3'rd car area is just shelves of boxed electric hand tools extra tool boxes hardware and sheet stock for the wood shop area. How do you do it in your shop?

I found a strong set of shelves for the cast and j-type stock but it filled fast. To save space I've gone to several type containers to hold cast that usually get made up in 500 or greater batches and then the various runs of less than 200 or so...I prefer containers that match and are see through but can't always have that because of the wasted space they generate. I like containers to be as full as possible.
I've found 'sewing and bead' boxes handy for short runs or end of stock that was in the 500 count boxes the mfgrs. send us.
The small dip containers have been handy lately as I've been casting a variety of blends of Pb with the HP thread I did recently.
The small white lid containers I found in a thrift store, good screw on lids and tough plactic help to store 200 or less counts and they stack pretty well too...only problem here is I can't find any more of them.

These 'salza' containers will work for brass or cast, they have a tough lid and plastic and will stack well...they should be great for large quantities. the problem here is that I need more shelf space to locate all of these together in an efficient stack.
Here I have them holding fresh cast that I've gone to to get a quantity for PC'ing where I'm doing less than 100 or so in a batch.

Here fishing tackle boxes hold my sizing dies and powder dispenser parts and pieces and all those little things that come with the presses that tend to migrate off somewhere you'll never see again.
Also I've used the 'sewing and bead' boxes to keep like things together...snap lids make them a favorite.

Pistol brass is in 3 different drawers about 20" square and 5" deep. I use quart freezer bags to stock them by manufacturer. If you label them with a Marker and fill them to capacity, you would not believe how many cases you can stock in a simple drawer. Drawers often become just 'junk drawers' overstuffed with everything we tend to put in them...then things again go missing when they are right in front of your eyes...only, you don't see them.

Post your solutions here in this thread and tell us what you have done or would like to do to solve storage problems in your shop...got a lead on a great potiential storage solution, post it also...

rancher1913
12-26-2016, 03:31 PM
you need to get a shipping container and add it onto your shop :Fire:

MUSTANG
12-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Can you come to my house and organize my reloading shed?

OS OK
12-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Not a bad idea...I've a favorite Pastor up there that I follow on the net...Chuck Baldwin. I call him the 'Rebel'!

robg
12-26-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm not that organised ,tubs for fired cases,size cases,preped cases,boolits in an IKEA billy bookcase lead at the bottom .shelf over my desk/bench with loading manuals .molds under the desk dies tc top of bookcase.casting pot etc in my small shed .

Der Gebirgsjager
12-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Never enough room! Either too small a building or too much stuff.

One idea: Shelves over windows. Small tool racks across window.
Click to enlarge.

Parts drawers in the middle of the reloading bench, which is actually a very heavy duty electrical cable spool.
310 tool dies. Bullets.

Brass on wall shelves. Brass in stacked boxes. Too much brass.

Boxes on boxes. Cabinet with primers, etc.

Under the workbench. All boxes full.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Ammo in old wood / More wall shelves
crate and on fridge/ over workbench,
that needs to go.../ mostly cleaning
somewhere...else! / supplies, current gun projects.

Gun parts drawers. Old gun cabinet full of stocks,
new and used.

Here, there, and everywhere.

So, OS OK, after you get done at Mustang's, come by here. I do have a 40' container....but it's full of.....stuff. :roll:

Morgan61
12-26-2016, 07:33 PM
My reloading area looks like a hurricane blew through it.
I've got fishing tackle boxes and coffee cans on shelves full of stuff I don't use often but the stuff I use regularly just sits wherever I set them down.
Keeping it neat is futile.

mdi
12-26-2016, 07:33 PM
While my shop is not "organized" as some, it is not sloppy or messy. I use an assortment of containers; I like see-through plastic shoe boxes for my brass, empty Beer Nut square containers work quite well also, and just about any "throw away" 4"x4"x4" food containers with lids are good bullet storage. My dies are on Lee turrets (12) and live in a drawer in a small 4 drawer plastic chest. Craftsman tool boxes store tools and a few supplies, and I usually know where everything resides...

OS OK
12-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Der Gebirgsjager...I'm at a total loss on suggestions for more space or better organization, you have everything labled clearly and very nice printing too...looks like you had drafting in high school also.

I did find your missing roll of duct tape! ...:bigsmyl2:

Der Gebirgsjager
12-26-2016, 09:34 PM
Very astute observation. At the time they called it "mechanical drawing". ;)

TXGunNut
12-26-2016, 10:58 PM
My loading room looks like I'm waiting for the insurance adjuster. Powder/brass dump somewhat better but still a bit cluttered. When I do straighten up my loading bench I find the coolest stuff!

Andy
12-27-2016, 01:59 AM
I store all of the brass that I'm currently using in washed cocktail peanut jars, or dishwasher detergent jugs from walmart and they both hold about 1000 9mm brass or a couple hundred various rifle brass and are see through with lids you can get a hand through. It seems like the bigger the cartridge the less I can afford to shoot it so this size works well with my "batch" sizes I have tended to use. For every cartridge I have two jugs: "dirty, XX fired" and "clean, xx fired". When the "dirty" jug gets full it makes a full tumbling batch in my tumbler. I don't keep more than 1.5 full jugs worth in use at a time. This system lets me have a place to throw the 2 or 10 cases I just fired, and also keeps me in supply with clean ready to load cases for whatever strikes me at the moment.

I have realized that rigid cases like what I use are the most convenient for actually using them (reaching in and taking out, adding more to etc.), and ziplock bags (heavy duty) are the best for bulk storage of excess brass you're going to add into the rotation sometime in the future. The amount of space the rigid cases typically waste is very high even when full, so I try to only use them for the amount of brass I actually need to have in rotation in the near term. Keeping the rest in ziplocks seems to save 50% or more on space (if you put it in a box not in a pile on a shelf).

So, my system is rigid boxes like yours for the brass i'm using at the moment, and ziplock bags for the brass I'll use in the future. I keep all bullets in rigid boxes/jars since I don't trust bags to hold them and they take up a small space for their weight anyway.

OS OK
12-27-2016, 07:40 AM
Pictures of solutions...pictures. Come on fellas.

Boaz
12-27-2016, 08:23 AM
I can't contribute . I'm maxed out ! Have resorted to 'random' stacking....no room left .

Need to start culling and painfully throwing away all the stuff saved because I 'MIGHT' need it .

OS OK
12-27-2016, 08:45 AM
I know Boaz, most all of us have been there and are doing that right now...it's the 'might need' stuff that's the problem.
Not a problem as far as having it but a problem as far as having it stored efficiently and taking up only minimum space needed and...to have it where it's not hidden by the latest 'might need' stuff that's stacked on top of and in front of it.
It suddenly dawned on me one day that there's a lot of air space wasted in my containers that never fill...also wasted air space between shelving.
I used to put things in 5 gallon buckets but they group together like a mingling crowd, they get shifted here and there and generally are just too much under foot, along with the fact that they are only partially filled too...they start to catch other things in them that are unrelated and turn into junk buckets that need sorting out.
This storage thing is a nightmare and it robs most of us of desperately need operating space. Also, the older we get the more 'good stuff' we forget we have and now prolly have way too much of some things...especially brass.
Just thinking about sorting it all out is too daunting of a job to let us pursue the task...but...if we were to sort our way out of the problem in bite sized batches, well, after a month or three we could get to a point where we could actually get to a wall to build needed shelving or whatever the solution calls for in your case. Winter time might be a good time to tackle a project like that.
I'm thinking that with all the assorted containers available for free and those at places like the dollar store there must be answers. If people start showing pictures of their situation and of their resolves...welll, it just might inspire others of us to get on it.
Pictures are actually more than a thousand words.

1989toddm
12-27-2016, 08:54 AM
I recently sold and gave away a bunch of stuff for needed cash...best solution for my 8'x8' corner in the basement. Simplifying things to 1 single stage, and one Lyman 45 on the bench provided a good amount more usable space! Since my leather working happens in the same area on a small table, I have to be creative and self-disciplined to not spill out and create trip hazards or leave dirty brass/lead/used primers out where the newly walking son can get to them. It's one of his favorite places to play, so he does get clean shiny brass to "count and (de)organize" when I am down there. I use old cool whip/sour cream/dishwashing detergent/peanut butter/nut containers for brass and boolits. Molds are mostly in plastic sterilite containers with a lid, at least the ones I'm not using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OS OK
12-27-2016, 09:16 AM
One of the best examples of using containers that you can't see into is Der_G's stowage pictured above...it's clearly labled and accessible to get into.
I've been concentrating so much on organizing just the reloading area that I haven't given enough thought to the other areas of the shop.
Take for example all the space under the huge take-off table of the table-saw. There I've built small furniture dollies to roll other machines under there. I have the planer and the shaper and tile cutting saw on wheels and they can stow for lengthy periods out of sight, out of mind and out of the way...yet I can get to them to use them easily too.
I've spent almost enough time on the reloading area...it's time to concentrate on the other areas too.

Bob in St. Louis
12-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately, my new reloading hobby is infringing on my other hobbies of wood and metal working tools and equipment.
So.....Other than having the 12gauge slugs stored in Planters peanut containers, everything else is stacked (in the way) on top of my tool box.
Not sure where I'm going with it all, but it can't stay here. haha

BUCKEYE BANDIT
12-27-2016, 01:39 PM
http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/Images/613/613-886354-6_300x300productdetail_original.pngYou would be amazed how many cast boolits will fit AND stack in these.Small for light use,large for the most used.

OS OK
12-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Excellent example there, my wife saves our butter tubs too. I've been cutting them down to make boolit and brass trays to work out of in front of the turret press or the bench primer. Small footprint, doesn't take up too much room on the bench, holds 100+ for typical batch runs.
Now...if only there was a way to wipe something on them that would remove all the writing without being too hot (as in MEK) and ruining the plastic???

Scharfschuetze
12-27-2016, 02:14 PM
You guys are way more organized than I am!

OS OK
12-27-2016, 03:48 PM
One of the things I try to do is to organize tools I use more often than not, clamps is one of those and they are a nightmare to use if they are stacked under the bench or leaned into a corner. The one you want is always hooked into the mass and pulls everything out in the floor at your feet...then there goes the good humor for the day as you reorganize when you should be glueing, screwing and clamping!

Since I had decades of hardware collected along with so many hand tools that normally store in the plastic boxes that you buy them in or you have to put them into big orange tool boxes so they will actually fit....well, I needed space for them. So, this time I turned the 3'rd car garage into a warehouse and hardware store...that's worked pretty well, except...don't pile stuff in the isles that you intend to get to later. Later never comes.

On both sides of the wall on either side of the garage door is a space you can fill with shelves and bins for screws, nuts, bolts, washers and all that. Those fishing tackle boxes help to organize items of like nature. Here again notice the laziness that gave me plenty of things to sort later, lying in the floor in front of the shelves. It's been there for 6 months so far! But I'm getting to it...yeah right!

The other side of the garage door I used large Acro bins that hang from metal plates screwed securely to the studs. There is a never ending supply of stuff we think we need to have that fills the spaces to overflow. Notice the 5 gallon bucket that holds end cuts of various trim I've used on the cabinets...no self respecting carpenter would save this stuff...I don't know why I do?

One of the best things I've done, or 'not done' lately...is to quit going to garage sales on the weekends. The very few times I've broken this new rule for myself is when I wanted to find something specific, that and only that, no more stuff I 'think' I might can use.
My problem was, is and will always be...I'M A PACKRAT!

The attachment shows the huge area taken up by sheet stock...if I ever use all that up I'll get back 50% of the space in there
and can move more machinery out of the working shop.

runfiverun
12-28-2016, 01:46 AM
okay here is what you do.
first build the garage in to a shop.
then build a shed out back and move all that other stuff into it.
now you should have a gun/reloading room, a casting/swaging/shot shell loading shop, and the basement for storage of the items and supply's you need for the other two rooms and some of the loaded ammo.
each area should have at least 2 types of storage solutions to deal with the stored components for future use, the components for immediate use, and the assembled components.
in no way should you have a list of any of those components.
because it doesn't matter how much you have of any one thing, you need more, and the amount needed varies depending on the current project.

Petrol & Powder
12-28-2016, 09:52 AM
The big issue I have with storage is the lack of standardization of the storage systems.

We all start with something and then the needs change. What you end up with is a hodgepodge of storage solutions.
Repurposed containers, repurposed cabinets, tool boxes of every shape and size, fishing boxes, mismatched shelving, G.I. ammo cans, plastic bins.......it never ends. And then to compound the problem, the container or shelving unit that you found to work is discontinued and unavailable. Arrrrrrgh.

Few of us can afford to start over and standardize our storage systems but sometimes I wish I could.

OS OK
12-28-2016, 10:09 AM
That's an excellent observation.
There have been times that I have convinced myself to start tossing things out, start rationalizing and convincing myself to thin things out, so...in a limited half-butted effort I do just that.
Usually the objects tossed are the ones that were immediately in the way when I started with the 'convincing myself-brain farts'...and too...usually every time within 6 days to 6 weeks I turn around and find myself looking for the exact thing I tossed because it's needed in a 're-purposing project'.

For the love of Pete...you just can't win.

alamogunr
12-28-2016, 10:14 AM
I'm another one of those "packrats". I use just about anything that I think is big enough to hold what I want to save. Lately, I've been stockpiling handgun brass. I have 2 sons and 2 grandsons that shoot(when time allows) and I didn't want to be caught short if Hillery won. None will be wasted even though my vote counted for the first time in 8 years. I keep a lot of the acquired brass in the FR boxes it came in if not torn up. They are full and square, unlike a lot of my containers. I really like the Folgers coffee cans even if they are round. My boolit storage is in either peanut butter jars or nut containers. I increased the stockpile of nut containers over the Christmas holidays and will spend much time this winter trying to fill them.

OS OK
12-28-2016, 11:48 AM
This is my old Buddy/Mentor Bob, about 82 now and still going strong. I rebuilt his shelving and gave him all my extra plastic nut and jelly bean containers. He had used those glass pickle jars on the upper right for years until one slipped from his hands and broke all over the bench. I tried to make shelves that would accommodate the various size containers and also hold the die sets, powders, primers molds and all the other stuff without waisting all the air space typically found between shelves. Things worked out pretty well here with the limited space above the bench. He still has brass in every container imaginable stacked on top of and under the pool table out of view to the left. Later I rebuilt all the cabinets to his right and added another bench there just for casting and of course those old kitchen cabinets are full of more brass and powders

Bob has a very nice pistol range that he allows the local instructor to teach the concealed carry permit classes. We sift the berms at least 3 times every summer and get no less than 80 lbs. of Pb each time along with all the brass these newbies leave behind...Old Bob definitely understands the old concept of 'mining the miners'...it's a California thing.

RP
12-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Seems like I have to redo my reloading area every time I add a new toy to make it fit. Always trying to streamline my set up to keep it neater and more usable one day I may reach that goal. Over the years its has gone from a small bench to a large bench two smaller ones and a area for tumbling dry one for wet storage areas since everything will not fit under and over the benches. The battle rages on lol.

mdi
12-28-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm with Boaz on this one. I've got waaaay too much stuff that's "too good to throw away" but hasn't been used in quite a while. I tried that old "method" of cleaning once; "if you haven't used it in a year, toss it". No Way! I got some good "stuff" that I'm gonna keep even if I never use it again!...8-)

OS OK
12-28-2016, 01:17 PM
The only redeeming aspect of remodeling or cleaning the shop is the part where you find all kinds of stuff you forgot you had!

My worst habit is to put a tool in a 'safe place' where I won't loose it. Within an hour or so...it's lost.
Once I bought a set of thread gages to replace the lost ones and then decided to put them in a safe spot...I pulled the drawer open on the machinest chest and guess what was staring up at me from the little drawer bottom?
I have two sets of thread gages now!

trixter
12-28-2016, 01:24 PM
My company supplies the coffee for us, so I salvage the 3 lb Folgers can for Junk Brass and used primers, the smaller cans for all empty brass that I am going to reuse. Costco nut jars for cast boolets, and usually package 100 loaded rounds in slider top plastic bags that I clearly mark. The loaded rounds go in a large cupboard in the garage. Everything else is on shelves and is visable, or clearly labeled. I so love this hobby.

Bob in St. Louis
12-28-2016, 01:41 PM
That ol guy Bob sounds like a cool fella. I love his room, looks great!

OS OK
12-28-2016, 01:50 PM
He is cool, thanks for saying so. He's retired Air Force originally out of Kansas, old school to the marrow. He'll give you the shirt right off his back. He taught me to cast.
When you die and count your true friends on one hand...old Bob will be one of them.

Bob in St. Louis
12-28-2016, 01:52 PM
That makes me like him even more.
Guys like that don't grow on trees.

OS OK
12-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Bob is one of the last of the Greatest Generation still alive that I know personally...all the rest have trees growing over them now.

kbstenberg
12-28-2016, 02:05 PM
All of my brass that is cleaned, sized, trimmed and ready to load is all sorted and put in used and salvaged pistol ammo Styrofoam trays. Trays marked with all pertinent information on "drafting tape"

Walstr
12-31-2016, 02:55 AM
My son suggested making an "upsidedown" shelf under the bsmt "ceiling" joists. This holds many boxes of lead pills. He also thought of cutting 12" pieces of "shelving channel" for hanging my bins. Of course 'Mum' had an eye for storing the bulky stuff like shotshells.

Walstr
12-31-2016, 02:56 AM
Seems I can't submit more than 1 pic at a time. Here's the "upsidedown" shelf.

Walstr
12-31-2016, 03:04 AM
Here's the hanging bins using hvy duty shelf standards...Sorry I couldn't post the right pic as vertical, can't figure out how to delete one & replace it, argh.

OS OK
12-31-2016, 08:13 AM
Seems I can't submit more than 1 pic at a time. Here's the "upsidedown" shelf.

I'd keep an eye out for one of those plastic bins that would fit into that space neatly, no telling how many spots like this one you can create. Especially the clear bins.

lightman
12-31-2016, 03:45 PM
When I built my shop (30X30 ft) it was mostly for my electrical business. I used one wall for shelving. I used pallet racks for this. They can be bought used for reasonable prices. They come from 12 in to 48 in deep and from 8 ft tall to maybe 28 ft tall. They are incredibly strong and are adjustable.

I lined another wall with bolt bins and small parts drawers. Bolt bins are cabinets that have individual holes in them from 4X4 to 12X12in and are 12in deep. The complete bin is 40in wide and they bolt together several ways, from stacked to end to end to back to back.This was probably overkill but I got these for a good price, cheaper than building my own and more adjustable.

This picture was of a smelting session but you can see the bins in the background.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/PTheodo/IMG_0847-1.jpg (http://s788.photobucket.com/user/PTheodo/media/IMG_0847-1.jpg.html)

On my loading bench, primers, jacketed bullets, dies and tools go on the bench top and the shelves. Powder is on a shelf to the right, out of the picture and cast bullets are stored in cigar boxes under the table.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/PTheodo/IMG_0793.jpg (http://s788.photobucket.com/user/PTheodo/media/IMG_0793.jpg.html)

My brass and lead stash is in the storeroom, next to my loading room. The plastic coffee cans work well for this. Before that I used the large white plastic cans that restraunts get their ice cream it. I've since lost that contact. My lead is stored in the form of 1# Lyman ingots and is in plastic milk crates against the wall and labeled.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/PTheodo/IMG_0792.jpg (http://s788.photobucket.com/user/PTheodo/media/IMG_0792.jpg.html)

I'm not as neat as some of you guys but this is messy right now, even by my standards. I've been gone for most of 6 weeks hunting and my Wife and my Housekeeper have moved stuff into my rooms in order to decorate the house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now that I'm home I'll restore some order back to these rooms.

GONRA
01-03-2017, 07:41 PM
GONRA sez modern plasic large mouth peanut butter jars are great!
Just make SURE to label everything - nice BIG letters so you can read from a distance.

dragon813gt
01-03-2017, 08:12 PM
I've posted pics of my organization before. I can't stand when tools aren't in their proper place. They end up all over when I'm working. But they are put away when done. My work vans have always been highly organized because it's how I make money. The organization transfers over into reloading.

Brass goes in five gallon buckets or flat rate boxes on the shelves. The boxes are for smaller quantities. Brass is always bagged up. Almost all of mine is in five gallon buckets. Anything smaller is to small for the quantities on hand.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/40693A70-5818-4163-8520-D28C240B3189-5569-000003D510BCD9E8_zpsc57eb2c9.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/40693A70-5818-4163-8520-D28C240B3189-5569-000003D510BCD9E8_zpsc57eb2c9.jpg.html)

Lead ingots are stored in foot lockers. Cast bullets are stored in ammo cans. Anything else is to small. An odd shape that takes up to much space. Or is an insufficient material that doesn't hold up over time.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/16F61808-85F4-4324-B649-6A50ECBF3BE3-14876-00000BB065D98F5E.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/16F61808-85F4-4324-B649-6A50ECBF3BE3-14876-00000BB065D98F5E.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/45DA17AD-9C72-4850-AE67-1C77C660AC1C.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/45DA17AD-9C72-4850-AE67-1C77C660AC1C.jpg.html)

Dies and tooling are stored in cabinets. Nothing is left out when not in use. Dies are kept on Lee turrets in the round boxes.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/81374018-A09C-4196-90C5-B36BC5DADD22.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/81374018-A09C-4196-90C5-B36BC5DADD22.jpg.html)

Harbor Freight is your friend. They sell all sorts of plastic boxes. I use a lot of the Plano boxes that seal as well. It's a constant battle against rust for me.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/E2FFA346-2981-4E78-BAE6-5DFBC6968297.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/E2FFA346-2981-4E78-BAE6-5DFBC6968297.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/0027E0EE-1814-48FB-84CD-B397B198533D.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/0027E0EE-1814-48FB-84CD-B397B198533D.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Mobile/BC952DFC-2232-4DB9-B015-172943B1B5D6-8927-000005071A9C5A5A_zpse6c83703.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/Mobile/BC952DFC-2232-4DB9-B015-172943B1B5D6-8927-000005071A9C5A5A_zpse6c83703.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/539A94D0-B813-4988-8197-9BE0EA4DD542.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/539A94D0-B813-4988-8197-9BE0EA4DD542.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Mobile/0DA60DAC-4FF0-4269-9FE5-5B34993BD937-8927-0000050723DE0472_zps1c6404f4.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/Mobile/0DA60DAC-4FF0-4269-9FE5-5B34993BD937-8927-0000050723DE0472_zps1c6404f4.jpg.html)

Harbor Freight makes the perfect size boxes for mold storage. If you don't use anything larger than a four cavity.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/5E16C612-5EE6-46FB-A7F7-7CCEAADEBF39.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/5E16C612-5EE6-46FB-A7F7-7CCEAADEBF39.jpg.html)

dragon813gt
01-03-2017, 08:13 PM
This is what it looks like when I'm done. If you put it away every time it's easy to keep things organized.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/5EB57A85-3B67-4A60-A27B-1049979FCB4A.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/5EB57A85-3B67-4A60-A27B-1049979FCB4A.jpg.html)

I've moved some things. I no longer store ammo cans full of bullets on the wire shelves. Just not worth the risk of it all coming down. One of my most often used tools is a label maker. Easy to keep things organized when it's all labeled. A lot of tooling is stored in a fairly big tool box. Convenient to have it all right behind me when I'm working. While going through my pics I'm amazed at how much has changed but how much it's stayed the same. Just have more stuff in the same area.

alamogunr
01-03-2017, 08:27 PM
I've posted pics of my organization before. I can't stand when tools aren't in their proper place. They end up all over when I'm working. But they are put away when done. My work vans have always been highly organized because it's how I make money. The organization transfers over into reloading.

Brass goes in five gallon buckets or flat rate boxes on the shelves. The boxes are for smaller quantities. Brass is always bagged up. Almost all of mine is in five gallon buckets. Anything smaller is to small for the quantities on hand.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/40693A70-5818-4163-8520-D28C240B3189-5569-000003D510BCD9E8_zpsc57eb2c9.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/40693A70-5818-4163-8520-D28C240B3189-5569-000003D510BCD9E8_zpsc57eb2c9.jpg.html)

Lead ingots are stored in foot lockers. Cast bullets are stored in ammo cans. Anything else is to small. An odd shape that takes up to much space. Or is an insufficient material that doesn't hold up over time.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/45DA17AD-9C72-4850-AE67-1C77C660AC1C.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/45DA17AD-9C72-4850-AE67-1C77C660AC1C.jpg.html)

Dies and tooling are stored in cabinets. Nothing is left out when not in use. Dies are kept on Lee turrets in the round boxes.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/81374018-A09C-4196-90C5-B36BC5DADD22.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/81374018-A09C-4196-90C5-B36BC5DADD22.jpg.html)

Harbor Freight is your friend. They sell all sorts of plastic boxes. I use a lot of the Plano boxes that seal as well. It's a constant battle against rust for me.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/E2FFA346-2981-4E78-BAE6-5DFBC6968297.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/E2FFA346-2981-4E78-BAE6-5DFBC6968297.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/0027E0EE-1814-48FB-84CD-B397B198533D.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/0027E0EE-1814-48FB-84CD-B397B198533D.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Mobile/BC952DFC-2232-4DB9-B015-172943B1B5D6-8927-000005071A9C5A5A_zpse6c83703.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/Mobile/BC952DFC-2232-4DB9-B015-172943B1B5D6-8927-000005071A9C5A5A_zpse6c83703.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/539A94D0-B813-4988-8197-9BE0EA4DD542.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/539A94D0-B813-4988-8197-9BE0EA4DD542.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Mobile/0DA60DAC-4FF0-4269-9FE5-5B34993BD937-8927-0000050723DE0472_zps1c6404f4.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/Mobile/0DA60DAC-4FF0-4269-9FE5-5B34993BD937-8927-0000050723DE0472_zps1c6404f4.jpg.html)

Harbor Freight makes the perfect size boxes for mold storage. If you don't use anything larger than a four cavity.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/5E16C612-5EE6-46FB-A7F7-7CCEAADEBF39.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/5E16C612-5EE6-46FB-A7F7-7CCEAADEBF39.jpg.html)

I've moved some things. I no longer store ammo cans full of bullets on the wire shelves. Just not worth the risk of it all coming down. One of my most often used tools is a label maker. Easy to keep things organized when it's all labeled. A lot of tooling is stored in a fairly big tool box. Convenient to have it all right behind me when I'm working. While going through my pics I'm amazed at how much has changed but how much it's stayed the same. Just have more stuff in the same area.[/QUOTE]

I hate you! :mrgreen:

Seeker
01-03-2017, 08:38 PM
My wife picked these up for me at wally world for $3 or so each and work great for boolits. They hold between 300 to 500 boolits according to what flavor. Brass goes into baggies and then into these small totes, they stack nicely. Also, the labels peel off of these old Hornady boxes and get re used for lead boolits. The boxes are left over from before I started casting my own.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/grandpabear1/reloading/20170103_192544.jpg

sw282
01-04-2017, 09:29 PM
My company supplies the coffee for us, so I salvage the 3 lb Folgers can for Junk Brass and used primers, the smaller cans for all empty brass that I am going to reuse. Costco nut jars for cast boolets, and usually package 100 loaded rounds in slider top plastic bags that I clearly mark. The loaded rounds go in a large cupboard in the garage. Everything else is on shelves and is visable, or clearly labeled. I so love this hobby.
OK Trixter. From my Army l remember my lnstructor say,"The only dumb question is one NOT asked''
What are spent primers used for?

thanks..

Bob in St. Louis
01-04-2017, 10:08 PM
This is the second reference to "used primers" in my short life reloading.
Since I heard it the first time, I started saving my spent ones.
Seems there might be a use/sale/barter/trade market for them.

Soundguy
01-04-2017, 10:20 PM
I do the shelves and baggies and jars. Really like the shell holders on pegs

dragon813gt
01-04-2017, 10:59 PM
This is the second reference to "used primers" in my short life reloading.
Since I heard it the first time, I started saving my spent ones.
Seems there might be a use/sale/barter/trade market for them.

The market is the scrap yard. Recycle them and get money back to buy more new ones.

trixter
01-05-2017, 08:13 AM
OK Trixter. From my Army l remember my lnstructor say,"The only dumb question is one NOT asked''
What are spent primers used for?

thanks..

For recycle at the salvage yard for $. Annual trip to salvage yard pays off.

seppos
01-05-2017, 08:56 AM
You really need a compact storage system for reloading stuff if you live in house like this:

S

Bob in St. Louis
01-05-2017, 09:11 AM
The market is the scrap yard. Recycle them and get money back to buy more new ones.
Gotcha, thanks Dragon.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-05-2017, 04:48 PM
A month ago, a friend stopped by, when he seen my storage room shelves with used USPS MFRB's fulll of brass and such, he asked if I wanted some plastic bins, that are about the size of a MFRB. He has a buddy who works a a custom injection mold manufacturer, and they have a repeat job/order to make these bins, and if there are blemishes and rejected, they throw them away (I would have thought they would recycle the plastic?).
Anyway, he stopped by a couple days ago with 20 for me, with lids. Now it's time to get to work as start organizing.

you can see one that isn't in the stack, at the bottom, with the photo date pasted on it.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/containers_zpscm6brgej.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/containers_zpscm6brgej.jpg.html)

BK7saum
01-05-2017, 06:06 PM
My wife picked these up for me at wally world for $3 or so each and work great for boolits. They hold between 300 to 500 boolits according to what flavor. Brass goes into baggies and then into these small totes, they stack nicely. Also, the labels peel off of these old Hornady boxes and get re used for lead boolits. The boxes are left over from before I started casting my own.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/grandpabear1/reloading/20170103_192544.jpg

I have a bunch of the 3x5 clear card boxes. They stack great and are a good size for storing smaller quantities of brass and bullets. I purchased then online and on sale for about $1 each.

Brad