PDA

View Full Version : My Christmas present

shaper
12-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Daughter and son n law gave me a Henry AR7. Going out now to see what I can do with it.

Plate plinker
12-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Ohh ban I need one of those. At least I think I do.

smoked turkey
12-26-2016, 11:04 AM
How timely. There is an interesting article in the current NRA "American Rifleman" magazine by Jeremiah Knupp on the AR-7. Sounds like a very practical Christmas present that sure beats a neck tie.

pete501
12-26-2016, 11:10 AM
"You'll shoot your eye out with that!" is the quote that I remember from the movie "A Christmas Story"

kmrra
12-26-2016, 11:10 AM
any firearm for Xmas is a great gift , I guess that why I bought myself one on Friday LOL

kmrra
12-26-2016, 11:14 AM
oh and I went ahead and ordered myself another one too , cause if I remember correctly I think Presidents day is coming up also.

rl69
12-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Get two my birthday is just around the corner

shooterg
12-26-2016, 11:28 AM
My wife gave me 5 bricks of 22 - bring that AR7 over and we'll wring it out !

jeepyj
12-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Just pulled it up on You tube. Sure looks like you received a neat Christmas present! Let us know the pro'sand con's - Jeepyj

sundog
12-26-2016, 11:39 AM
"You'll shoot your eye out with that!" is the quote that I remember from the movie "A Christmas Story"

http://www.erniesarcade.com/dontshootyoureyeout/play/

tunnug
12-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Those are neat rifles but their quality has been all over the place, my buddy had one that was one of the earlier models made by armalite and it was a tack driver, later on I got one made by one of the later companies that was terrible, the safety wouldn't even move, POI was all over and more often than not would let off 2-3 rounds with every pull of the trigger, got rid of it to someone who thought they could work on it.
From what I hear the new ones made by Henry are of good quality, I may get another, I'm looking forward to a report on how this one does.

shaper
12-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Took my new Henry AR7 out for a try today. here is what I did.
Just remember i am 73 years old and don't see as good as i once did, and I am wearing bifocals.
I set up a target at 55 feet and it is about 5 feet lower than where I am setting. there are 3 bulls eye on the target
Ammo is Remington 22 golden bullet Long Rifle Hollow point. It was on top so I took it out.
I filled two magazines with 8 rounds each. The ar7 has a rear peep sight and a plastic orange blade up front.
I took 2 shots to see where it hits. they hit at 3 inches to the right so I made a adjustment on the front sight.
2 more shots and it is 1 1/2 to the rt. made another adjustment up front. 2 more shots and it is in the center but 1/2 low.
Magazine 2, 8 shots, they are 1/2 inch low. but 5 shots made a group of 1 1/4 long.
Magazine 3, one shot in the black the rest are 2 inches low. This could be me because I had 4 cartridges that did not eject and I got a little flustered.
This rifle will never take an Elk at 300 yards, but it will get you a rabbit if you are hungry and lost in the woods.
All in all, I am pleased with it.

leadman
12-29-2016, 02:24 PM
The gun is probably fine, try some different ammo. I have the same ammo and it gives issues with firing and ejecting and marginal accuracy. My Rem 581 left hand rifle used to love that ammo but not anymore. The CCI mini mag hp is the best now.
My friend has one of the early ones and it is a decent rifle for the intended purpose.
Nice to get a present like that.

abunaitoo
01-02-2017, 04:31 AM
Had a Charter arms once.
Not the most accurate rifle I've ever had.
Great for what it was made for.
Plastic cap on the butt cracked, and at that time I couldn't find a replacement.
Sold it.