PDA

View Full Version : Going To Start Casting Again

nickelsmith
06-22-2008, 12:02 PM
We just had to redo the storage area of the basement and I found my old furnace, molds, and sizer. We have been in this house approx 20 years and I have not used the equipment since we moved here.

The wife and daughter are going to Alaska for the next 2 weeks and I am thinking about casting again. I still have a bunch of lead to use.

Any tips on what I should do with the furnace to get started again? I assume I need to heat it up and clean out any crud.

JIMinPHX
06-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Fire her up & give it a whirl. A little cleaning should be all you need unless your moulds are pitted from rust or something like that.

Sprue
06-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Nickels...

Wow, its about time you made that first post. So much for being a lurker :-D

Yep, as said get out the equipment and fire it up. You mention that you have lead on-hand. Is that pure lead or wheel weights?

Anyway this is the place to be as you already know.

Spend your free (2 weeks) time alone wisely. It won't last too long ya know. :mrgreen:

Good luck and WELCOME!

DLCTEX
06-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Avoid the dust fromt he pot and other tools when cleaning, it will contain lead oxide. Wear a mask and work in a well ventilated area. Also, be careful where you dump the cleanings. With more lending companies requiring an environmental evaluation for the sale of properties you don't want lead showing up in soil samples or other test samples. DALE