PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounting Pedersoll.357 Baby Rolling Block

dverna
12-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Looking at getting one.

Does it come drilled and tapped for mounts? If not, is it simple to do?

Thanks for any help

Don Verna

Reverend Al
12-26-2016, 03:34 AM
No they don't ... so there are two options in my mind, if you don't mind altering the gun then drill and tap for either a once piece base or a pair of bases. Option two if you don't want to alter the gun is to take a rear sight slot blank, drill and tap it to mount a once piece scope base, and then add your rings and scope.

Boz330
12-26-2016, 10:49 AM
If you want it to look period correct, MVA makes period correct scopes. You would have to drill and tap it but it isn't that difficult on an octagon barrel if you have a drill press.

Bob

dverna
12-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the advice Reverend Al. I like the idea of using a rear sight blank so I will investigate that further

Don Verna

Reverend Al
12-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Years ago Bushnell offered a standard rear sight slot blank that was already drilled and tapped to match a one piece scope base which you then used to mount an intermediate eye relief pistol scope (since the rear lens would have about 12 or 14 inches of eye relief). It was designed for scope mounting Winchester Model 94 rifles without having to drill and tap. They are tough to locate used now (long out of print) so many people have done the same thing by drilling and tapping two holes in an aftermarket slot blank (Lyman or Marbles) and then screwing any suitable sized one piece base to the slot blank. Again, you'll likely need a suitable scope with fairly long eye relief or a red dot electronic sight which isn't eye relief sensitive. Let us know how it works out for you ...

Reverend Al
12-26-2016, 06:47 PM
(I have one of these baby Rolling Blocks in .357 Magnum that I bought for my wife to shoot in the side matches when we were still shooting Cowboy Action matches ... it's a great little rifle!)

marlinman93
12-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Weaver used to also offer a scope mount that fit into the dovetail on one end, and the other had a U shaped bracket that clamped the side of the barrel when tightened. It sometimes required some wood to be relieved, but was a much more sturdy mount, with no D&T holes needed to install it.

1Hawkeye
12-26-2016, 10:03 PM
Mva has a copy of the old Winchester a5 scope that would look pretty good on that rolling block. It will require drilling and tapping the barrel for two bases but it would be historically correct. If I remember right the baby is a copy of the number 2 frame size.