PDA

View Full Version : Flowers on the Altar

WRideout
12-25-2016, 01:19 PM
FLOWERS ON THE ALTAR

Every year, before Christmas, flowers appeared around the altar at church, as if they grew there naturally. They were generally blood red and green poinsettias, but sometimes chrysanthemums also blossomed. The church bulletin always had an insert with the names of the honored dead whom the flowers represented, and I found myself wondering why my family name is not on that list, because, you see, my own father is also dead.

I suppose it is not all that strange that I never bought flowers in memory of my father; I hardly knew him. He was deeply flawed in some ways, yet a kind and gentle soul, in spite of that. He had suffered greatly in his life and blunted the pain with strong drink.

I was angry with him from the time I was an adolescent. It wasn’t any particular thing he did; rather it was the emotional absence that hurt me so deeply. It was not until I was grown, and a father myself that I began to understand the gifts he had given me over the years.

He had trouble expressing his affection for my brother and me, so he did other things to show that he cared. Once when I was small we went on vacation to the Sierra Nevada Mountains of the West. Dad loved to fish for trout, and tried to show us boys how to fish, without much success. As the station wagon headed for home, I mumbled to my mother my disappointment at having to return to school without being able to brag about catching any fish at all. Now, dad had spotted a trout farm along the road; the kind of place where they raise fish in ponds for tourists and you can catch them with a bare hook. He pulled in and stopped so that I could enjoy the finest moment of our vacation, catching one trout after another and reeling them in. It was years before Mom told me that dad had stopped there just for me.

Dad taught me a lot of things that I didn’t appreciate at the time. When I was eighteen years old, and working at a dead-end job that I couldn’t stand, he encouraged me to look beyond the present moment and seek opportunities elsewhere. In his way, Dad taught me that life was about choices.

Simple things that he did are memorable to me now. I no longer react with fear to the dictum that we all become our own parents. From my father I inherited a poet’s spirit, and the love of a good story, well told. I learned that life was never so bad that giving up was an acceptable alternative. And I learned that at the end of life, I might face death with dignity, as he did. I pondered all these things and realized that the father I did not know actually loved me more that I could tell. And as my anger began to dissipate, I realized that the qualities I most appreciate in myself came from him.

And so it came to pass that on a day in December, just before Christmas when the flowers bloomed around the altar in church, a poinsettia plant was placed there to commemorate the honored dead of my own family. And one line in the church bulletin insert simply read “In memory of Clyde Rideout”.

Wayne

merlin101
12-25-2016, 01:43 PM
There really is truth to that old saying, 'you don't know want you have till it's gone'. Very touching Wayne.
Couldn't help but notice your from Butler, my dad was born in Mars Pa. Also noticed that 8" in your avitar I served on 109s and some A1s loong time ago.

WRideout
12-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Merlin. Mars is just around the corner; I think they still have the spaceship sculpture in front of the municipal building.

I was in an 8" M110 howitzer battalion, in the CA Army National Guard. I didn't know it for the longest time, but my uncle, who is buried in the Netherlands, was in the same unit before they shipped out for the European Theater in WWII. I loved those old cannons, but now they are all replaced with rocket launchers. I suspect the howitzers were all sold to third world countries in South America or the Middle East.

Wayne

Boaz
12-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Thank you Wayne . We only appreciate them later .

USMC87
12-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Truly a great read and lesson.

castalott
12-25-2016, 08:40 PM
A wonderful story.... I liked it... Dale

smoked turkey
12-25-2016, 10:11 PM
Thank you Wayne for sharing your memories of your dad. Such a great ending as well. Your story made me think of my dad as well. Perfect he was not, but I sure loved him and miss him still. He passed in 1996 at 86 years old. He only had a 3rd grade education, but he was a wise and kind man who worked hard most of his life to help provide for us.

WRideout
12-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Thank you Wayne for sharing your memories of your dad. Such a great ending as well. Your story made me think of my dad as well. Perfect he was not, but I sure loved him and miss him still. He passed in 1996 at 86 years old. He only had a 3rd grade education, but he was a wise and kind man who worked hard most of his life to help provide for us.

My dad only made it through 6th grade, but he was actually quite intelligent. He was a mechanic much of his life, and was very good with electrical problems.
Wayne

Blackwater
12-26-2016, 12:05 AM
What a great and inspiring and poignant story, Wayne. Your story is far from uncommon. Nothing is more typical of youth than to simply not understand what our parents did for us, how much they truly cared, and how hard it was on them to be "hard" on us when they needed to be. "Too son old and too late smart" is a phrase that I think any of us who reflect truthfully can all identify with?

But your Dad didn't really care that you didn't understand back then. What he DOES care about is that you finally "saw the light" about him, and all he tried to do for you. It's a very humbling thing. Isn't it a shame that we waste so much of our youthful days being un-humble? We're creatures of our own desires, UNTIL we come to truly understand that there's a better way, and a truer and more appropriate will for us to have, and submit to. Submitting ourselves to another Will, even God's, is difficult for us pitifully willful creatures. But when we DO find that way, IF we allow ourselves to find it, it's the most life-changing thing that can ever happen to us in this plane of existence.

You've done well, Wayne. God bless you. Even I can feel your Dad smiling down on you right now. And thanks for a wonderful story, and one that is typical of so very many of us.