PDA

View Full Version : 12yr old and the range.

PDshooter
06-21-2008, 11:48 PM
My 12yr old son just loves shooting empty #30lb freon cans .With my Colt 45 loaded with H&G68 cast bullets with 5.3gr of W231http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/PDshooter/X-Line/june08006.jpg
Target is about 25yds

9.3X62AL
06-22-2008, 12:09 AM
One cool pic, PD. Nice range facility, too.

NVcurmudgeon
06-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Nice picture of a good looking kid. Noticed that even though he turned his head for the picture, the .45 is still pointed downrange. A lot of boys that age would have had the gun following the eyes.

monadnock#5
06-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Yup, I like the glint in his eye. All the lights are on, and the occupant inside is having a good time.

uncle joe
06-22-2008, 08:33 AM
better watch out I've seen that look before.

never mind to late... he's hooked
you'll be buyin more stuff soon
:-D

trickg
06-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm in kind of the same situation with my son who is almost 14. He loves shooting the old "Franken-fortyfive" I inherited from my Dad. To look at it, it isn't anything special - an old (1941) Colt frame, aftermarket skeletonized trigger, slide sporting Wilson white dot combat sights....but it was worked over and smithed by my Dad and it functions VERY well and is very accurate. My son will shoot mag after mag if I let him - it's the reason I decided to buy my own reloading equipment as well as the reason I want to start casting.

Wayne Smith
06-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm in kind of the same situation with my son who is almost 14. He loves shooting the old "Franken-fortyfive" I inherited from my Dad. To look at it, it isn't anything special - an old (1941) Colt frame, aftermarket skeletonized trigger, slide sporting Wilson white dot combat sights....but it was worked over and smithed by my Dad and it functions VERY well and is very accurate. My son will shoot mag after mag if I let him - it's the reason I decided to buy my own reloading equipment as well as the reason I want to start casting.

By 14 he ought to be casting and loading his own if he likes to shoot that much!

trickg
06-22-2008, 03:19 PM
By 14 he ought to be casting and loading his own if he likes to shoot that much!
Well, heheh, that's kind of the plan - I want him to know how to do those things. It will be skills and knowledge like casting and reloading that will set him apart from most of his peers out here in the Baltimore/DC area. :D

Tom W.
06-22-2008, 04:17 PM
It's a good idea to get your kids interested. I started my youngest son out mostly just watching and I gave him a rag to wipe off the finished rounds. We progressed to letting him seat the bullets, then prime the cases, and finally let him weigh the powder charges (with me right beside him every step of the way.) Now he's got his own set-up and is very good at what he does. He's got his loads tailored for what and where he's going to be shooting.... I don't know where I failed though, as I just can't get him interested in or shooting cast bullets....

trickg
06-22-2008, 06:25 PM
.... I don't know where I failed though, as I just can't get him interested in or shooting cast bullets....
Make him start paying for his own components - when he has the option to buy bullets or cast them for pennies on the dollar comparatively, he'll probably come around. :D

KYCaster
06-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Geeeeezzz, PDShooter!!! I'm full growed and my hands are nowhere near as big as that kid's. Looks like he should be a natural.

Nice looking kid...just try to get him used to taking his finger off the trigger when his eyes leave the sights. (I know...I'm being picky. It's just the way I am.)

Jerry

azrednek
06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
A lot of boys that age would have had the gun following the eyes.

That was the first thing I noticed, says something good about his mentor. When I was foster parenting several years ago, the biggest problem I dealt with teaching kids to shoot single-shot 22's was keeping the gun pointed down range at all times. Seemed the younger they were the more likely they were distracted and the muzzle had a tendency of following their minds.

trickg
06-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Nice looking kid...just try to get him used to taking his finger off the trigger when his eyes leave the sights. (I know...I'm being picky. It's just the way I am.)
From that angle it's impossible to tell whether or not he still has his finger in the trigger guard - I know...I'm being picky. It's just the way that I am. ;)

Boerrancher
06-23-2008, 08:18 AM
It's a good idea to get your kids interested. I started my youngest son out mostly just watching and I gave him a rag to wipe off the finished rounds. We progressed to letting him seat the bullets, then prime the cases, and finally let him weigh the powder charges (with me right beside him every step of the way.) Now he's got his own set-up and is very good at what he does. He's got his loads tailored for what and where he's going to be shooting.... I don't know where I failed though, as I just can't get him interested in or shooting cast bullets....

yesterday I did some one armed reloading, well actually I had three arms. I sat my 3 year old up on a stool next to my bench and let him work the press and wipe off the rounds. He was glad to get some one on one with Dad, as with 4 older siblings, sometimes he gets left behind. I was honestly glad to have the help, and he thought he was in tall cotton working with something that I normally tell him not to touch. I am not sure who had more fun, him getting to do something new and help me, or me watching him do it.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Tom W.
06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Make him start paying for his own components - when he has the option to buy bullets or cast them for pennies on the dollar comparatively, he'll probably come around. :D

He's now 29 years old and has a great paying job, and more components and loading stuff than I have! And neither he nor his brothers will shoot cast......