PDA

View Full Version : Prarie Dogs and Cast Boolits

DLCTEX
06-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Got to shoot a dog town today that hadn't been hunted in long enough to have a lot of citizens that were unwary of man. There were many shots at 100 yds and under that I used Lyman 225-438 in ww/wd in my 222. Then as ranges got longer I switched to jacket rounds out to 325 yds. The action was hot and heavy for about two hours. The rancher was threatening to poison them, but I convinced him to let me thin them down instead. He watched and even spotted for me, and thanked me when I declined some shots he pointed out for me due to cattle in the background. He was so pleased he wanted me to come back again this afternoon, but work kept me from it. The cast loads were the first loading I'd tried in this caliber and haven't been bench rested yet. They are accurate to minute of prarie dog out to 125 yds. I need to work on it to find the best loading. I don't expect it to fill in for the 250 yd. + shots, but I would like to use them to at least 200 yds. DALE:Fire:

Ernest
06-21-2008, 11:06 PM
That must be amazing fun!!!
e

DLCTEX
06-22-2008, 12:23 AM
You can overheat a gun barrel in a hurry. It's best to use at least two guns so you can let them cool. The large dog town I used to hunt has so much well drilling going on it's unsafr to shoot in any driection now. There's a well on every forty acres and people activity rvery where. Also some have been poisoned because the government was making noises of putting them on the endangered list . The ranchers eliminated them before the gov. could step in and tell them what they could do on their own land. DALE

schreibwy
07-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I always shot them with my 45-70 because it was a more definite killer and I had to suffer no charges. However, my ranges were short. 340 Lee bullet over 12 grains of Unique. All one shot stops.