PDA

View Full Version : ICC 308 brass prep

Tonto
12-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Working up a cast load for a DPMS Oracle in 308. I have just under 2000 once fired ICC brass and noticed crimped primers. Swaged with the RCBS tool and it took a lot of force. Seems a two step process is ahead, first the Lyman reamer followed by the swage step. Any experience with this brass? The Lyman grinds away brass in the bottom 1/4 of the primer pocket (closest to the head stamp). Even after both steps, primers seat with difficulty. The RCBS swage after reaming is still tough. Brass fired in bolt action rifles and never hit the ground. I'm hoping to use the NOE 311365 200 spitzer, early results look good.

Tatume
12-23-2016, 08:46 AM
It's a lot of work, but you only have to do it once per case. If you get sick and tired of the RCBS primer swage tool (I have one too, and understand), then buy or borrow a Dillon.

MostlyLeverGuns
12-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Primer Pocket Uniformer - RCBS, Sinclair, K&M - removes crimp, 'uniforms' primer pocket to same depth and diameter, primer seating is improved substantially. Most can be run by hand or power - drill, lathe, power case prep stations. Also a mindless task that can be done in front of tube with family using hand power.

308Jeff
12-23-2016, 01:41 PM
Not sure if you're up to doing 2,000 pieces by hand, but I've had great results removing touch crimps from 308 brass with a utility knife. Just insert the blade on a slightly beveled angle and give them a twist to cut the full circumference. I usually just sit in front of the TV and crank them out.

Victor N TN
12-23-2016, 02:40 PM
If you bought this brass already fired... It may have been fired in an automatic weapon. Something on the same line as an M-60 or a "Mini Gun". If this is the case you need to anneal the case necks before firing. Or if, it has been fired in a gun like that, the first or second firing that YOU shoot it, the case necks will split.

Just 2 cents worth of unwanted information from my bank account of experience.

Tonto
12-23-2016, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=Victor N TN;3885372]If you bought this brass already fired... It may have been fired in an automatic weapon.
Brass came from deer cull training, fired in suppressed Rem 700 308 bolt action rifles, clean and well cared for until it got to me instead of a trash can. I will plow through it to get it ready, I will look into a primer pocket uniformity tool as well.

runfiverun
12-23-2016, 03:18 PM
the Dillon swaging tool just moves the metal around where it should be.
it's quick and efficient.
you can feel it move the metal so you can stop if you get a thicker web or something unlike the rcbs rod types which just get bent out of shape if you miss a case not the same.

Tatume
12-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Brass fired in bolt action rifles and never hit the ground.

Cool.

Duckiller
12-23-2016, 03:47 PM
Swage with the RCBS tool the ream with a Hornady tool to make everything smooth. It is a slow and painful process but you only have to do it once. Haven't done many 308s but lots of 30/06 and 223s. Rainy/snowy days are good days to work on brass.

Faret
12-23-2016, 04:02 PM
:goodpost: Hornady works the best for me. Bottoms out on the bottom of pocket and does it all!

robg
12-23-2016, 04:19 PM
I use a case chamfer tool to get rid of the crimps on the primer pockets ,have used a knife but the tool is eaiser. Your bound to have one handy.

Alstep
12-23-2016, 11:48 PM
L.E.Wilson makes a primer pocket reamer that works in their trimmer setup. Nicely reams the pockets and rounds the edge of the pocket. Only a few turns and it's done. Have done it thousands of times in LC brass.