PDA

View Full Version : .25 Ackley Improved Krag

.22-10-45
12-21-2016, 01:28 PM
One of the reasons I like to shoot cast is that I enjoy a challenge in getting a rifle to shoot lead accuratly..I wonder though if I might be biting off too much in getting this one to shoot cast. I haven't purchased rifle yet because I am unsure on the possibility of getting accuracy from a gas-checked...or even a paper-patched bullet. The rifle is chambered for the full length Krag case necked to .25 with a 40* shoulder...in your opinion, is this too much of a good thing for cast bullet accuracy? Any suggestions and opinions welcome. Thanks!

dtknowles
12-21-2016, 01:57 PM
One of the reasons I like to shoot cast is that I enjoy a challenge in getting a rifle to shoot lead accuratly..I wonder though if I might be biting off too much in getting this one to shoot cast. I haven't purchased rifle yet because I am unsure on the possibility of getting accuracy from a gas-checked...or even a paper-patched bullet. The rifle is chambered for the full length Krag case necked to .25 with a 40* shoulder...in your opinion, is this too much of a good thing for cast bullet accuracy? Any suggestions and opinions welcome. Thanks!

I have a Remington Hepburn in .25 Krag Ackley Improved but I have never shot a cast bullet in it. I see no need to shoot cast in all my rifles, I don't shoot cast in my 30-06 either. I am sure that I could get them to shoot something cast with accuracy but I have other guns that I shoot mostly cast and I leave the High Velocity stuff to mostly jacketed bullets.

Tim

CA Dude
12-21-2016, 01:58 PM
My son built a 25 Krag Ack Imp. Great cartridge but the 30-40 cases are so hard to find. I'm sure you could get it to shoot well; it's very close to the 257 Roberts Ack Imp. My son uses the 257 Roberts Ack Imp dies to neck size his cases and to seat the bullets. He hasn't used any cast bullets through it.

.22-10-45
12-21-2016, 03:26 PM
dtknowles: What kind of accuracy are you getting from your Hepburn with jacketed bullets?

dtknowles
12-21-2016, 04:00 PM
dtknowles: What kind of accuracy are you getting from your Hepburn with jacketed bullets?

Better than 1.5 moa. with Sierra 120 grain hollow points

Tim

salpal48
12-24-2016, 03:17 PM
I have a 25 Krag IMP. It will shoot Cast very well. . I sorry I put the scope on It. As with all Krag's. Ejection
. The barrel was made By Mr. Harry Mc Gowen. I made the stock.
Here is aphoto

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-25-2016, 02:04 AM
dt,

your three quotes are only valid if the writers have men with swords between them and their enemies with swords.
Learned that in Vietnam...