PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating, thinking of starting

Shuz
12-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Can someone please point me to a thread or sticky that explains how to do this procedure and where to get supplies?
Thanks,
Shuz

RayinNH
12-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Shuz, several threads here, including stickies.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

Shuz
12-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Thank you Ray!

Beagle333
12-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Smoke4320 can hook you up with powder and BBs and even tell you how to use them. He has good products.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?241259-Hi-quality-Powder-for-DT-or-Spraying-bullets

Scorpius
12-21-2016, 03:19 PM
I'm in your shoes as well. Still with tons of questions but I ordered the hi-tek solution. Appears to be he easier choice and best looking appearance in smoothness afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcren
12-21-2016, 03:24 PM
+1 for smokes powder and supplies. He also has step by step instructions to shake and bake on linked to the page linked above.

RogerDat
12-21-2016, 03:39 PM
While the red powder paint from Harbor Freight will work the stuff from Smoke is much better quality. I only use the HF red for "bulk" ammo such as .223 and at that mostly just because I have some to use up. Be advised not all colors from Harbor Freight or other suppliers will work for shake application. Some only work with electrostatic gun. One of the things Smoke provides is he tests with shake and bake so you will know that the color will work with BB shake application. Not all Airsoft BB's will work, black is the known best and not always available locally, again Smoke has them in stock at a price competitive with Wal-Mart.

PC is my most accurate lube and allows me to feed autoloader rifles without clogging them up. Load for bolt guns at higher velocity, and make pretty bullets for the wife and daughter. I'm a fan. Skittles advertisements take on whole new meaning when you have been loading the 38 with bright colored bullets. Is taste the rainbow the new "make my day"?

runfiverun
12-21-2016, 05:05 PM
smoke has a beginners kit for the coating stuff.
it makes it about as easy as possible to get started.
blue is a good easy color to get good smooth coverage easily.

bigolsmokebomb
12-22-2016, 11:49 PM
Smokes powder all the way. Skip the hf red. Look on YouTube. There's quite a few good videos by fortunecookie45lc and elvisammo that go through the pc process in great detail. That's how I learned initially and mine have turned out great

Victor N TN
12-23-2016, 08:33 PM
I've been reading some of the links myself. Even though I have 2 lubrisizers, I'm doing some serious thinking about the powder coat, myself. After the first of the year, I may have to get serious about this. There's a LOT on here to read on the subject.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences on the subject.

RedRiver
12-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Read as much as you can on this site. There is so much good information. You will have most of your questions answered there.

Smk SHoe
12-25-2016, 09:12 PM
You can get a pretty good setup to PC for about 100$. Cheap oven from wal-mart, NS aluminum foil, ASBB's and the Powder. I bought good stuff on line and it's hit or miss if it will Shake. Once my stash is used up I'll be getting my resupply from Smokes. It is addictive.

Scorpius
12-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Cheap oven can be had at goodwill. Just keep checking. Took me two weeks and about four trips by on the way to somewhere else and found one last week. $4 convection oven. Then $9 screen from Home Depot to make yourself a cooking tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shuz
12-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions....but for now I am gonna stick with Lee's liquid Alox thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits for my needs. My "needs" center around driving a 255g MP-433-640 with a gas check shank,sized to .431 in a Lyman old 45, but without the gas check. So far, my load of 7g of Trail Boss and the boolits tumbled in the Alox liquid lube have given excellent accuracy from a scoped 629 Classic DX and with absolutely no leading. I just think those boolits look so ugly with that spotty brown goop, sitting on top of those nice clean brass cases, that I was hoping powder coating might address that issue. It prolly will, but why bother?

Walter Laich
12-26-2016, 12:08 PM
...PC is addictive.

+1
I cast so I can PC these days

also: I got a $20 toaster oven at wally world that does fine for baking the PC didn't see need to overspend on this item