PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wear Gloves in the Garage? Well, I Don't

RedRiver
12-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Was cutting a bit of tin off a bar to add to the pot. Started with the hacksaw part way through then finish it off with the big hammer. Well, tonight the hammer slipped.

Yeah, that's skin on the edge of the bar.183188

Not paying the huge amount for a trip to the ER for stitches, we will see what it looks like in the morning. I hate wearing gloves, they take too much away from feeling stuff. Rarely ever use them at work either.

oteroman
12-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Based on your conviction to not where gloves, does it matter if we exercise safety? Hope the damage is minimal...

Yodogsandman
12-20-2016, 11:16 PM
"I hate wearing gloves, they take too much away from feeling stuff." RedRiver

How'd that feel? Thanks for the safety reminder of the week!

Maybe another time just melt that tin bar down (minus the skin) into smaller sizes to add to the casting pot. You can make any shape nugget, bar or anything you want. Whatever size you want. Make your own mold from what you can find. I use a brass piping end cap, the ones with the square on them on one side and a shallow, round divot on the other (for a 2 oz tin medallion). My mold handle is a pair of channel locks. You could also find a boolit mold that fits your wants.

RedRiver
12-20-2016, 11:29 PM
Haha. Yeah I will wear gloves next time. That's a good idea with the tiny ingot mold. First bAtch of tin I've ever needed. Always just used wheel weights.

It's fine now. Be back to normal tomorrow.

Jr.
12-20-2016, 11:31 PM
No I usually don't but always wish I had when I get a super splinter or snag on some metal. Thanks for the reminder. Hope it heals well.

Mitch
12-21-2016, 01:04 AM
Not a big glove fan either but I don't like bleeding either so err on the side of safety when needed.Hope you heal up well.I use a mold I cant use or is damage to cast tin or solder into nice useable size.

Bzcraig
12-21-2016, 01:12 AM
I'm not a big fan of gloves either but am getting better at wearing them especially this time of year. I've gotten where I now use my band saw to cut alloy when I need to. An aggressive blade cuts through like butter.

runfiverun
12-21-2016, 01:23 AM
I look at the back and front of my hands for like 2 seconds then put my gloves on.

MaryB
12-21-2016, 01:40 AM
I buy the dirt cheap cotton/leather palm/finger garden gloves. On sale they are a $1 a pair so cheap enough to toss if you get them nasty. They are also very flexible and have decent finger feeling so I wear them all the time unless I am doing assembly with small nuts and bolts.

http://static.gemplers.com/images/items/214232-lrg.jpg

Not that name brand, these are no name Menards specials.

longbow
12-21-2016, 01:43 AM
I ran an angle grinder with a cut off disk part way through my left middle finger when it grabbed and kicked. Nope not wearing gloves either! I should have gotten stitches but cleaned it up and bandaged tightly. I have a strange scar and slightly funny shaped fingernail now. I tend to wear gloves more often now too at least when the potential is there for serious damage. Got enough scars to do me.

Longbow

brtelec
12-21-2016, 02:06 AM
When I am at work we are required to wear gloves any time we are out on deck. When this started, I hated it. Now I do not even notice it. This has extended to the workshop at home as well. Once you are used to it, you don't really notice it. What I do notice however is how many fewer scabs and scars I accumulate in the course of my day. The key is to find gloves that fit well.

tazman
12-21-2016, 02:12 AM
I wore gloves everday, all day at work for over 40 years. I try to avoid them at home. Some of the jobs I did at work, the gloves could get you in trouble if you moved wrong. Some times they would help save your hands too.
I have scars on my hands that I got right through the gloves from high speed belt grinders and second degree burns.
They can be a mixed blessing.

Plate plinker
12-21-2016, 02:36 AM
wear the right glove for the right job, if that doesn't work make a tool.

brtelec
12-21-2016, 05:40 AM
We are issued different gloves for different jobs and of course there are some tools that you are not to operate with gloves on.

Tatume
12-21-2016, 08:58 AM
If I want one inch of the bar of tin, I dip the bar in the melt one inch deep and seconds later, it's done. No sawing, no casting mini ingots, etc.

30Carbine
12-21-2016, 08:59 AM
Depends what part of my shop you are in. In the welding grinding area gloves. You walk through the door into the machine area NO GLOVES allowed or long sleeve shirts or anything else that hangs off of you period.

44man
12-21-2016, 09:26 AM
If I want one inch of the bar of tin, I dip the bar in the melt one inch deep and seconds later, it's done. No sawing, no casting mini ingots, etc.
This is my way too.
I melted a 75# ingot by drilling a hole in the end tab and hanging it with my deer hoist into the smelting pot, lower as it melts and lift out when pot is full.
I also wore gloves for 42 years on the airport, got so used to them I did my car repairs with gloves on.
Never wear a ring either, one guy was under the dashboard, shorted the ring on connections and it turned white hot in a split second. Others have torn fingers off.
Spinning machinery is always dangerous. Get a glove caught on a lathe chuck and you go for a trip, then another to get sewed back together.
Now I cast without gloves, never splash lead, not even on the bench. Worst I do is miss the big coffee can with a sprue, keep pliers on the bench for that.

tigweldit
12-21-2016, 09:27 AM
I go through 2 to 4 pair of good, all leather, gloves per year.I use gloves from thin leather, material handeling, to thick welding type. Cheap insurance. Burns and cuts hurt more and take longer to heal as you get older. I also try to use heavy nitrel(?) gloves whenever I'm doing automotive or nasty, greasy stuff. Makes clean-up faster and easier. The wife likes my soft, clean hands when its play time!

farmerjim
12-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Me too.

tigweldit
12-21-2016, 09:36 AM
+1 on no rings.

Half Dog
12-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Whenever I don't wear gloves, I get a reminder to put them on. The last reminder was a hot mold.

mozeppa
12-21-2016, 10:25 AM
oops!

OS OK
12-21-2016, 10:37 AM
After reading that I heard my old dead Dad say..."Chucky, you gotta be smarter than the hammer!" ...:bigsmyl2:

Beagle333
12-21-2016, 10:45 AM
I wear gloves. They have saved me quite a bit of grief.
I do like some of the aforementioned with tin bars. I weigh it and measure it and then mark off sections, then hold it in the melt a few seconds (very few, as it melts FAST) until it melts back to the next mark on the bar.

OS OK
12-21-2016, 11:14 AM
If you weigh the bar before you partially melt some in the pot, then weigh after...you can get very accurate in dosing the mix with precise weights for accurate blends.

Echo
12-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Doesn't have anything to do with gloves, but - be VERY careful when using a mandolin in the kitchen. Use the pusher instead of holding the pickle/carrot/whatever bare handed. I didn't, and took one slice too many. Healed up nicely, but bled and bled.183210

Echo
12-21-2016, 11:45 AM
+1 on no rings.
I remember a picture in the USAF Safety magazine (featured Dunc & Hines) showing a mishapen ring with part of a finger still attached. Mechanic jumped down from airplane, ring caught on something and stayed there, along with said finger part.

w5pv
12-21-2016, 11:54 AM
I have had a couple of time that cotton gloves have almost got me into trouble the latest was with a rotor rooter it grabbed my glove but I was able to get it un hung before it hurt me.Just be aware of your surroundings and think ahead of the problems that may affect you

country gent
12-21-2016, 12:43 PM
I wear appropriate saftey gear for what Im doing. I wear gloves when hot, sharp, or impacts are possible. I have recently purchased a couple pairs of doeskin drivers that when lightly oiled with minks oil are very supple and offer great feeling. One trick is buy them tight and oil wear to stretch to fit. These have been very good for odds and ends and casting. Running the machining tools ( lathe mill mill drills) sleeves are rolled up, no ties, no rings watches necklaces, Hat or hair covering on. (Seen a student scalped when a drill press spindle wrapped hair up.) ANything that can catch on spinning equipment needs to be removed or controlled. Another people over look is having a file handle on the file your using. Saftey equipment is there for when things go wrong, may not need it for the first 100 times but 101 bites you hard.

OS OK
12-21-2016, 12:49 PM
I remember a picture in the USAF Safety magazine (featured Dunc & Hines) showing a mishapen ring with part of a finger still attached. Mechanic jumped down from airplane, ring caught on something and stayed there, along with said finger part.

One of my foreman jumped down from the manlift holding to the top rail and snagged his wedding ring...it dang near skinned that finger completely.
If Freddy wasn't tall enough to stand flat footed and reach higher than the top of the rail, it would have skinned right off the tip.
That was a bloody day.

mdi
12-21-2016, 01:16 PM
I worked as a Heavy Equipment Mechanic for the last 25 years of my career. Yep, sh*& happens and I would never wear gloves when working, and I think more OOPS! were caused by lack of feel. After a few years your fingers and hand become pretty tough and less prone to bleeding (it took 6 years for my hands to return to "normal"). Banged fingers are just part of working with hand tools and a good learning experience and it's been quite a while since I've had a wrench slip off a nut and skin my knuckles. I learned my lessons...

mozeppa
12-21-2016, 03:36 PM
i wear a full body condom even during sex....hell...i don't know where i've been!

MT Gianni
12-21-2016, 03:37 PM
I have had a couple of time that cotton gloves have almost got me into trouble the latest was with a rotor rooter it grabbed my glove but I was able to get it un hung before it hurt me.Just be aware of your surroundings and think ahead of the problems that may affect you
Cotton and cables are not compatible, nor with anything else that twists fast. Use leather gloves on cables especially sewer cables as you don't want open skin sores in sewer water. Dad owned a sewer and drain company and i spent too many years in that business.

rintinglen
12-21-2016, 06:03 PM
I wear gloves while casting. IMO, only fools don't, because it only takes a moment for a bit of ill chance to turn a pleasant casting afternoon into a splash of 700 degree liquid metal that will burn in an instant what can take weeks to heal. Long sleeves, long pants and gloves can save a trip to the burn ward and are cheap insurance. Fingers don't grow back.

fiberoptik
12-22-2016, 01:15 AM
Doesn't have anything to do with gloves, but - be VERY careful when using a mandolin in the kitchen. Use the pusher instead of holding the pickle/carrot/whatever bare handed. I didn't, and took one slice too many. Healed up nicely, but bled and bled.183210

+1 on the mandolin! Same for razor sharp Chinese cleaver or serrated scissors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leadmelter
12-22-2016, 01:25 AM
Always gloves and my leather apron. One forget and suddenly you are going " OH ******" and hurt for a week with a blister>
Leadmelter
Boy is that hot, ""Ouch"

44man
12-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Best I ever seen was helping a friend with a plugged drain. he rented a big roto rooter and fed it in, kept going and going. Two story house and I looked out the window to see the cable winding like crazy in the air, thing went up the vent pipe! Sure needed gloves to recover 100' of cable.

MT Gianni
12-22-2016, 11:41 AM
The easiest way to clean a sewer is from the vent. I spent a lot of time lugging 150 lbs of equipment up a ladder 75 lbs at a time between the ages of 15 and 23. If you decide to forgo College you had better be tough.

45-70 Chevroner
12-22-2016, 02:37 PM
I drove fuel delivery trucks for 33 years and the only place I didn't wear them was to the bathroom, I can't feel the toilet paper. LOL No but I did get so use to wearing them that it's like putting on a seat belt. When I go to the garage I automatically grab a pair of gloves.

rr2241tx
12-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Seems like I have a pretty simple choice these days: wear gloves or wear scabs. Old hide sure isn't what it used to be. Bifocals make sure I have plenty of chances to bang the back of my hands on stuff harder than I am.

fredj338
12-22-2016, 03:53 PM
The older I get the more I wear safety gear. Used to rarely wear gloves or even safety glasses, but as you see the results of not, I tend to err on the side of caution now days.

gwpercle
12-23-2016, 05:18 PM
I never wore gloves , until the time I started making hot pepper jelly . Working with hot peppers bare handed didn't bother me , but when I went to the bathroom and took a leak I didn't think about "little joe " he's not tough at all, he's a weenie ! It burned for a while and I washed my hands first !
I now keep them rubber gloves around , they little joe's friends.
I never wore a hat either....now I never leave the house without one .

243winxb
12-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Same with linotype.

No gloves while casting for me.

Digital Dan
12-23-2016, 10:51 PM
Fella needing a motivator to wear gloves ought try casting without the handles on the mould.

ascast
12-24-2016, 09:09 PM
I wear gloves when all the time, I have lots of them, all different kinds. Welding, gutting, general work, driving. I know what a log chains at 30 below F feels like, don't need to feel again, thank you. I know what liquid lead feels like too. Again, no need to refresh my memory. I never wear gloves around moving machinery, like drill press, bench grinder any place I could get pulled in.
I cast my tin up with 6 cav molds and add in the appropriate number
good luck with the hand

kingstrider
12-26-2016, 06:29 PM
I am a dentist so wear gloves at work. At home I also wear gloves when possible to keep my hands clean or safe.