PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt Reloads

klw
06-21-2008, 12:01 PM
I have a S&W 45 Colt Heritage Series revolver. Beautiful gun. Making it shoot accurate, however, has been a challenge. I've changed bullet alloys. I've changed bullet diameter slightly. I've changed powder and powder charge. It has been frustrating.

Now I've about got the problem solved BUT once in a great while I get a bullet that clearly keyholes. Not very often but once in a while. All the bullets have passed a very harse visual inspection and all bullets are segregrated by weight.

So I'm going to change the powder charge slightly. That's what I want to try next.

But the question is this. To get rid of this keyholing should I raise or lower the powder charge slightly?

felix
06-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Don't know, Kenneth. I had the same problem with a Colt single action. Took six months, off and on, weekends mostly. Changed powder speeds for the most part, and when close to POA, then changed primer, then amount in that order. Boolit composition and size became paramount. Ended up with all holes touching at 50 feet. Solution was pure WW, rem cases, rem primer, 6 gr 700X, lyman 185 acp boolit at 0.4525 with 0.456 cylinder holes. A very unlikely combination to say the least. (The value of this gun did not warrant changing the fixed sights). I still have the very same components stashed away, after these 30 years or more. Gun still shoots the same whenever I take it out, which is seldom. ... felix

Razor
06-21-2008, 12:24 PM
But the question is this. To get rid of this keyholing should I raise or lower the powder charge slightly?

increase it slightly.......

Razor

Texasflyboy
06-21-2008, 02:17 PM
increase it slightly.......

Razor

I think the most important clue is in the original post, you only "slightly" changed bullet diameter. I would try stepping up sized diameter in .001 increments.

Your best bet for solving the mystery is to slug the barrel and/or recover a fired bullet in water and examine it for depth of engraving.

I have a strong suspicion that your bullets are not engraving enough and are stripping out as they travel down the barrel.

Bass Ackward
06-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I think the most important clue is in the original post, you only "slightly" changed bullet diameter. I would try stepping up sized diameter in .001 increments.

Your best bet for solving the mystery is to slug the barrel and/or recover a fired bullet in water and examine it for depth of engraving.

I have a strong suspicion that your bullets are not engraving enough and are stripping out as they travel down the barrel.

I like the way you think.

felix
06-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Kenneth would have already done that, John. ... felix

runfiverun
06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
usually if the boolits fit and they are key-holing, it is cause they are not being
pushed fast enough to stabilize.
unless they are too long for the twist rate.

Bass Ackward
06-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Kenneth would have already done that, John. ... felix

Felix,

I just wish that more people would slug. If they did, so much more about " THAT " gun would make sence to them and they would be a lot happier.

As for Kenneth's occasional keyhole, he mentions nothing of his bullet design. I would try brushing the cylinders and the bore after every cylinder full. IF the key hole stops, change lube or bullet design to handle the fouling better.

If it doesn't, then study the forcing cone and the end play of the cylinder.