PDA

View Full Version : Simple trick for the Dillon 650!

Mytmousemalibu
12-17-2016, 11:59 PM
For those of you guys that run Dillon 650's with the case feed system I discovered a simple trick that solves a little annoyance. This fills a role in a couple ways for me. The first being that when I am done with a loading session at the press, I conclude that session buy running the machine empty of primers. I do runs per 100 primers, nice even numbers, I don't leave the machine loaded up or in-limbo from a session. So it's a minor annoyance that running the last few rounds through the machine, it will feed in brass behind the last completed round as normal but without primers, etc. I would just run the handle and the brass gets resized and I pull it out of station 2 (prime & powder station) and toss it back in the case feed hopper. If you forget, you'll charge an unprimed case and if its fine powder, trail it out everywhere as it indexes and make a nice mess.

The other instance the case feed is an annoyance is when I have the single stage setup in the press (as pictured). Obviously you don't want cases fed in if you have this setup or just doing single process loading for whatever reason. So you can pull the cases out as they drop or empty the column of brass. Or on occasion you just might not want it to feed brass for a moment. The feed part is all mechanical, there isn't an "OFF" switch.... Or is there?

You can quickly and easily STOP/START the feed with something most of us have or can easily get, a piece of
.38 Special or .357 Magnum brass works perfectly! With your finger, push the case feed arm all the way in, catch the piece of dropped brass, and drop your .38/.357 case into the cavity as pictured and take your finger off the arm. The brass occupies the space needed for the arm to swing back out and thus holds it depressed! You can now operate the press with the feeding of cases quickly and easily stopped. Pull the brass back out to resume case feed! I saw on Ebay or somewhere, someone selling wire clips to achieve the same thing. Here's a freebie tip for all of you that will save you a few bucks or a little frustration!

Mytmousemalibu
12-18-2016, 12:53 AM
If a Mod could move this to the "Reloading Equip" sub forum, that would be great! I don't know how I managed to put it in the casting section, :killingpc