PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting to cast...

TexasGrunt
12-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Where do I start?

I've been reloading for about 40 years or so. Started with shotgun on a Lee Load-All. Now using a Dillon 650, Hornady LnL AP, Hornady single stage. I've got a PW 375 in a box but not currently in use since it's cheaper to buy shells at Walmart than reload them.

I shoot a lot of .45 ACP, 10mm, .308, and .223.

I've been kicking around the idea of starting to cast my own. I'm a 100% disabled Veteran, no longer able to work, and a prostate cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with an aggressive prostate cancer at age 52. Currently 56.

I have a lot of time on my hands as it seems that I can't fish all the time. I've been casting lead jig heads and lures for about 30 years. I've got a couple of Lee pots, a Sarco and a Pro-Melt. I powder coat my fishing stuff using a fluid bed.

I'd really like to start casting for the .223 and then move on to the pistol calibers. I'd love to try some cast boolits in my .223 but ~$20 per 100 shipped is nuts.

My thoughts are to get a Lee mold to start with and a Lee push through sizing die. Not sure at this time how I want to lube them or just go to powder coating.

This allows me to dip my toe into casting with minimal cost.

My Pro-Melt is my go to for casting fishing stuff. It's full of pure lead. I plan on using one of the smaller pots to cast bullets so I can keep my fishing lead pure.

Any thoughts or comments?

HeavyMetal
12-17-2016, 01:13 PM
you'll find velocity will be very limited in your 223 with cast, never been big on cast in a high velocity cartridge just doesn't make sense, LOL!

Basically you wind up with a high dollar 22 rimfire you can reload, then again with todays 22 rimfire prices you may be on to something!

In any case I think I'd start out casting for your 45 acp, this cartridge is very forgiving with cast and easy to find good loads with very little hassle.

A Two cavity lee mold for their H&G 68 clone will be cheap and, even though I hate the stuff, you can tumble lube a few batches to try out.

After a few batches of Tumble lube you'll be fed up with the whole mess and look for a lube sizer if you decide you like the casting game.

I have never had the need to try powder coating but that is an option you are already set up for so consider that rather the tumble lube.

Be aware once you hit that point your crossing into the "danger zone" where you will want to buy bigger and better molds and sizers, LOL!

I started the same way back in 74" and when I look at my gear I just can't believe what I've picked up over the years!

good luck,

HM

Jr.
12-17-2016, 01:18 PM
Sounds like you're set up pretty good having some experience with casting fishing gear already. I'm with HeavyMetal on this one start with the 45 and you'll find that you love it. It makes plinking pretty cheap and feels better when they are "your boolits"

Yodogsandman
12-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I agree that pistol boolits are much easier to start casting for. Look at the Lee TC regular lube groove design for both 45ACP and 10mm. Both good shooters. I'd further recommend getting the 6 cavity molds for both. Better quality it seems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-6-Cavity-Mold-452-230-TC-Mold-New-In-Box-45-ACP-90289-/130973673161?hash=item1e7ea3a6c9:g:BJ8AAOxymnRSF7t 6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-6-Cavity-Mold-401-175-TC-175-Grain-Bullet-40-S-W-90690-/121296482558?hash=item1c3dd570fe:g:N9kAAOxydgZTJgC K

Rifle isn't that bad, though. The 308 will be easier to start with there. Many, many good molds for that caliber. Lee makes a flat nose 170 gr 30 cal mold that looks close to the Lyman 311041 mold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-Custom-6-Cavity-Bullet-Mold-311041-Style-30-Caliber-Gas-Check-30-06-30-30-/131626496774?hash=item1ea58cf306:g:SbcAAOxyeZNTSnU I

Size boolits to .001" to .002" over the groove diameter for pistols and just under the throat diameter for rifles. Pound slug your barrel and chamber to find out YOUR sizes.

Read all you can. You can search anything you need to know in the white Google search box on the upper right side of this page.

mdi
12-17-2016, 01:58 PM
You seem to be all set now, just get a mold and cast away. I only cast for my handguns and 30 cal rifles (but I did try some 45 RNFP from Bear Tooth Bullets in my .223 using a bit of WC820). The ones I tried in my rifles were PCed and I started with low/starting jacketed loads. Seemed to work OK and I only tried a couple hundred. Check the Coatings sub forum for any questions about shooting 22 cal PCed bullets...

I've heard it said many times; "The only way to learn to cast bullets, is to cast bullets".

FredBuddy
12-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Yup.

Read, read, then read some more !

Right here, on this site. That's how I started, and I didn't have the headstart you have.

Now I cast, powder coat or lube for 45-70 to 257 Roberts and a bunch of stuff in between.

My goals are less recoil, accuracy and still lethal for hunting.

Be Well.

MUSTANG
12-17-2016, 02:19 PM
The .223 is where I would go towards the end of my learning curve if I were you. Previous counseling to start with pistol calibers, then larger rifle, followed by smaller rifle is sound. Been casting since mid 1970's and have found it to be a joyful endeavor, time consuming diversion, frustrating challenge, and I would recommend it to those with the temperament to seek challenges, explore new ideas and apply methodical process to their efforts. Read and study the advice across this forum and you'll be well served.

Best wishes on your efforts and welcome to the Forum.

quilbilly
12-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Since you are already casting jigs, you already know quite a bit about lead. You will only have to refine your alloys. I would suggest you start with the 308 instead of the 223. I have found 223's to be a bit of a challenge for me compared to my 222's and Hornet but my 308 took to cast like duck to water. Just get yourself a Lee 160 RNGC mold and a sizer for 309 which will include some of the Alox in the package. This will keep it simple at first then you can refine your process as you go with other molds, lubes, powder coating, etc. You might even find that you don't even need to change much. You will find an MV of about 1900 fps to be a good starting point and a number of powders will get you there when you buy the Lyman cast bullet book. Welcome to our forum and happy addiction!

Mitch
12-17-2016, 03:11 PM
welcome to the forum it is a great place to learn a lot.read the stickies they are your friend.

good advice above to strart wit the 45scp.the lee 452 230 TC boolits shoot realy well.it is up to you if you want the 2 or 6 cavitiy molds.the H&G 68 clones I have tried all shoot well.sounds like you are all set up for the casting and loading.now you can go to the lead calculator and see what you need to mix for casing boolits.

TexasGrunt
12-17-2016, 03:14 PM
you'll find velocity will be very limited in your 223 with cast, never been big on cast in a high velocity cartridge just doesn't make sense, LOL!

Basically you wind up with a high dollar 22 rimfire you can reload, then again with todays 22 rimfire prices you may be on to something!

In any case I think I'd start out casting for your 45 acp, this cartridge is very forgiving with cast and easy to find good loads with very little hassle.

A Two cavity lee mold for their H&G 68 clone will be cheap and, even though I hate the stuff, you can tumble lube a few batches to try out.

After a few batches of Tumble lube you'll be fed up with the whole mess and look for a lube sizer if you decide you like the casting game.

I have never had the need to try powder coating but that is an option you are already set up for so consider that rather the tumble lube.

Be aware once you hit that point your crossing into the "danger zone" where you will want to buy bigger and better molds and sizers, LOL!

I started the same way back in 74" and when I look at my gear I just can't believe what I've picked up over the years!

good luck,

HM

The reloadable .22 is where I want to be. I'd love to have a .22 Hornet or .218 Bee but buying a new rifle is not in the cards right now. I already have the .223 bolt action.

I probably should start with the .45 since i shoot a lot of that.

One question that I seem to find mixed answers on is this. If I PC boolits for the .45 can I just use straight lead?

Yodogsandman
12-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Yes, if it doesn't lead up your bore and you like the accuracy with it. It will all depend on the fit of the boolit. Keep velocities and pressure low, like black powder stuff.

The 45ACP will digest just about any mixture of alloys. The others are much higher pressures and velocities, they'll need a tougher boolit.

quilbilly
12-17-2016, 06:37 PM
Since you have a bolt action 223, you are already ahead of the game. Some on this board have gotten excellent results with CB's in a 223 and I still aspire to that but have found the caliber finicky. Every rifle has a personality of its own when paired with CB's. You will enjoy the adventure.

runfiverun
12-17-2016, 06:53 PM
the rcbs 22-055s or the lee copy and 11 grs of 2400 will get your 223 going easy enough.

the 45 can be shot without the powder coating with the soft lead, a little tin will help the fill out.

Shiloh
12-17-2016, 11:10 PM
I didn't see 38 special or .357 listed. VERY economical to cast and load these.
You do have a .45 though. They do remarkably well with cast.

Shiloh

Iron Whittler
12-18-2016, 12:13 AM
Hello and welcome. You will find a lot of nice people with a vast wealth of knowledge they are willing to share. :Fire:

Hueyville
12-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Nothing beats a full size bottom pour furnace. Start with double cavity molds and move to four cavity quickly or you will get frustrated with dropping one bullet at a time. Due to a surgery, wife who requires home health care, work and the holidays have gotten way behind on my casting. Reason online before church is decided to buy 1,000 40 caliber and 2,000 9mm cast bullets to get me through January as last night cast up 1,000 45, plan to cast another 1,000 tonight then still have to size and lube. Have personal indoor range so shoot almost every day.

Best price could find on cast bullets was six cents a piece putting me at a dime a round! Dangit, can't spend that. I buy primers and powder a decade or more in advance of need. Before election purchased 250,000 primers and 200 pounds of powder in case Hillary won. Knew that would create a panic that might last till she legislated the stuff. Now am good for 25 years with what I had. I recover 70% of my lead from traps indoor shooting plus that of friends. Have a tire shop that gives me wheel weights which means labor is my only hard cost on bullets. Current batch of primers are Y2K generation and marked $14.75 per 1,000. Powder is about same generation as in almost half current price. What buy today will be half current price by time it comes up in rotation. Thus my cost for 9mm, 40 and 45 is still under a nickle per round. Have decided no way paying six to seven cents per bullet. Wife is going to either have to get over me spending most my home time in gun room or come down and hang out if wants to see me. After church going to cast another 2,000 45 while that is the mold under pistol furnace and tomorrow will swap to 9mm and suck it up. Basically need another 5,000 rounds cast by Christmas and all sized and lubed by New Years to keep the range hot every day. It's my stress relief and people don't like me when stressed. Difference between a nickle per round casting myself versus a dime a round buying bullets and have to plan on furnace time as fixed income dictates how much spend to shoot. Cheaper means more.

I cannot imagine buying loaded ammo or even loose bullets when look at cost. Besides I really like dropping a nice album on the professional turntable, warming up the tubes on my big amplifier and watching the bullets or loaded rounds drop as the evening goes by. Keeps me from the government using television to reprogram my brain into a liberal. After church will run all my ingots into 45 fodder and tomorrow morning will clean the traps for 9mm and 40 alloy along with a stop at the tire shop. Supposed to rain next two days so will be short work days. Bet am sizing/lubing by Christmas day.

If your visiting this site, need to already be waiting for your equipment to show up on a delivery truck or visit a local vendor that sells casting equipment.

Landshark9025
12-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Only thing to add are:
1. Source more lead, powder and primers
2. Kiss excess free time goodbye :)

I don't know the extent of your disabilities, but thank you for your service. I've found that mining and "smelting/reclaiming" range scrap to be quite rewarding. It adds another dimension to the hobby. That said, there are good sources of lead and tin here on the forum and you can get alloys from Rotometals to sweeten them up if needed.

I'd start with the .45 and look into making(or buying from White Label Lubes) some 45-45-10. The one thing not mentioned about the .223- and why I haven't gotten into that, is those are tiny little buggers. My fat, clumbsy fingers would be an issue.

Good luck!

Loudy13
12-18-2016, 08:47 AM
I cast and load a bunch of .45 and then powder coat it cut my reloading cost down to about a 3rd of what I was reloading for my only advice is...DO IT!

you will find a plethora of information on this site I wish I had started using this site years ago I would of saved much money and headaches.

Good luck

TexasGrunt
12-18-2016, 11:39 AM
I have a .38 Colt Officer's Target and a 586-3. Don't shoot them as much as I shoot my .45's.

Lead is no problem. I've got a steady supply of scrap lead. The ranges around here won't allow one to mine the berms. I've got severe back problems and mining would be limited. I have take my wife with me when I pick up lead. I might have a source of wheel weights.

The more I read on this sight the more I learn. Pan lubing looks really attractive to me right now. I'd just need to find a kake cutter.

Is it worth starting with Lee molds or should I get some iron molds instead? I know all my lure and jig molds are aluminum and it seems to cause no problems there. But those applications are not as exact as boolits.

Yodogsandman
12-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Aluminum molds aren't as durable as steel but, are completely serviceable. You just have to run them a little bit hotter than steel.

The Lee molds are much cheaper and if you bang them up or ruin one you're not out that much $$$. Great to start out with.

Another cheap option is used steel molds. Buyer beware! Look them over good before buying.

Hueyville
12-18-2016, 08:02 PM
Lyman four cavity molds are my favorite. Last forever and dropping four bullets after each pour piles them up pretty fast. Started about 1:30 pm after church and by 6:30 pm (just finished) had just over 1,200 200 grain 45's dropped and just over 500 sized and lubed using a Lyman Lubrisizer. About to eat dinner then go back down to gun room and run the bullets sized/lubed through the Dillon 550b and will be 500 rounds up on the day. Should have the 2,000 rounds of 45 need for January done by Thursday and all my 40 Smith by Sunday night. Then it will be a week of trying to hold onto those little 9mm bullets and cases with my fat arthritic fingers.

A Lyman Mag 20, four cavity iron molds wont let you down and move about as fast as I am able to move. Suggest either use a tried and true Lubrisizer or powdercoat. Never liked tumble lube or other methods. Honestly the pair of Lubrisizer will likely handle all my bullet sizing and lubing chores for life. So used to them, work so well and give a near perfect bullet. For the money they do super job without dropping large on a Star or similar. The cheap methods are just that, cheap. IMHO, YMMV and other standard disclaimers. Started casting at age 13 and my guess is 70% of my handgun shooting since has been cast. The cost savings means you shoot 10 times more ammo and get a hobby for rain days and short winter days to boot.

kmrra
12-18-2016, 08:36 PM
TexasGrunt , since you have all the time in the world to devote to casting, I say go for it , it depends how much you shoot as to weather its worth it , I just recently got back into casting myself. That being said I like reloading , and casting , More so than shooting and I try to shoot as often as I can, I have my own range here at the ranch , It will cost you to get into it tho , I had the good stuff years ago , but when I decided to get back into it I went with Lee equipment and its a lot cheaper, The best thing about going with Lee is that I bought 5 double cavity molds for what one from other companies charge , and from my experience they cast great bullets for the kind of shooting I do. BUT its still costly that way also . As I said I like to do things like that , Im not trying to discourage you at all , I believe it would be great therapy for you ,It is for me .

Hick
12-18-2016, 08:44 PM
I have a Lyman 225646 2-cavity mold that gives me 60 grain gas-checked bullets for my 223 Remington at 2.5 cents per bullet if I buy the high priced alloy (Lyman #2 from Rotometals). I use Rotometals because the alloy is clean and I don't have to mess with smelting. I push these bullets, with a gas check, to 2000 fps with no leading. These bullets are sized and gas checked using a Lee push-through sizer and only Ben's tumble lube. So, for the price of one mold and the fairly inexpensive Lee push-through sizer I get up to 2000 fps in cast from my 223 Rem. Without the gas check, and tumble-lubed only, I run down around 1300-1400 fps and shoot a load similar to 22LR at less than half the price of current 22LR. So-- nothing wrong as far as I can see with shooting cast in 223 Rem. I actually think I could get well above 2000 fps but I haven't tried it yet.