PDA

View Full Version : ladle vs mold cavity question

copdills
06-20-2008, 11:26 PM
I have talked to people who ladle pour molds that are 2-4 cavity does anyone here ladle a six or more cavity mold, if so do you have to have a ladle that will pour all the cav's in one fill or do you double dip and pour or is it best just to use a bottom pour pot for 6 cav molds

Dale53
06-21-2008, 12:23 AM
I bottom pour everything. I have been using a bottom pour pot for many, many years.

Dale53

runfiverun
06-21-2008, 12:46 AM
there are ladles at the antimony man that will hold 2lbs they are called rowell's
but i only use 2 holers and only iron some i bottom pour some i ladle and some will take whatever way i feel like [ i really like those ones ]
it depends if i am using 2 molds or one, how i feel that day, what boolits i need, or what gas checks i have that needs boolits.

HeavyMetal
06-21-2008, 12:50 AM
I have done both over the years! Have two bottom pours set up in tandem when I do six bangers.

However I recently aqquired a Lyman 20# pot that is dip only. Wanting to do pure lead for some target 38 wadcutters ( thats another story) I go out my old Rowell bottom pour ladle. It's the small one that holds about 1 1/2 # of alloy and will do a 6 banger on a single pour with enough left over to pour a decent sprue.

If I was pouring heavy 44 or 454 slugs probabley not, but Rowell does make bigger "small" ladles as well.

If your interested in one of these ladles I suggest you contact Bill Ferguson he's in AZ. last I heard phone is 520-458-5321

Bret4207
06-21-2008, 09:31 AM
I have a 1 lb Rowell ladle I use with my larger 6 cavity and 10 cavity moulds. It's a bit awkward to use, but it works well. They make even bigger ones, up to 8-10 lbs or more IIRC. Advance Car Mover Inc makes them. To give you a clue on how long that outfit has been around, the "Car Mover" part of the name comes from their main line tool- a large lever used used to manually move rail cars! I'm not a rail road worker, nor do I play one on TV, but I don't imagine CSX still has gangs of men moving cars about the yard by hand. I figured this out when I spotted one of the car movers at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mtn Lake NY in a display.

Just a bit of useless trivia you really didn't need to know!

imashooter2
06-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I double dipped a Lyman dipper for a long time before I switched to a bottom pour. Fill 3, get more lead, fill the rest. No issues with that process. Just moved to the bottom pour for the speed and convenience.

floodgate
06-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Bret:

I've had one of those "car movers" for years; great for digging post and tree-planting holes in rocky soil. A few years back, a neighbor got a surplus SP caboose along with some rail, tie and spikes, and set it up as a drafting studio. I took my bar over, and tried it - amazing tool! Just poke the beveled tip , sharp side up, under the wheel where it meets the rail and rock it up and down - moves the whole car along right smartly! Thanks for the background info.

Did you ever look at the logo on a U. S. made bolt-cutter? If it says "H. K. Porter", it is a reminder that that company made a huge line of locomotives, mostly for industrial or mining use, but a few big road engines, too. There was a 2-4-2 Porter that ran on the old Albion and Southeastern line (standard gauge!) that wandered through my back yard and another mile or so to the SE before it petered out into a network of logging roads. Rails torn up in 1937 and sent to Japan (returned to us at Pearl Harbor), but I've retrieved lots of the redwood ties for our goat shed, fence posts, etc., and I've got a bushel or so of the pulled spikes.

Floodgate