PDA

View Full Version : 38 special reloads.

Overalls87
12-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Hello. I'm quite new here. I have been loading target 38 special reloads with a Lee loader. It's quite fun and relaxing. I'm loading a winchester small pistol primer. Soon to be cci 500 small pistol primers when the winchesters are gone. 3 grains of bullseye and a 158 grain rnfp. These bullets are from the reloading shop. I have no idea who makes them. But they shoot well. Does anyone have any idea of the velocity? They are being shot out of a smith model 67. Unfortunately I have loaded and shot all 100 that I had. It was good fun shooting my " own " ammo. Are the speer 158 grain lswc bullets good for this load or will they lead badly? I apologize for the long winded first post.

tazman
12-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Velocity should be around 750fps. This number will vary quite a bit depending on specifics of your revolver.
As far as using different brands of cast with that powder charge, as long as they are 158 grain cast you should be fine. My Lyman manual shows 3.0 grains to be the starting load for that weight boolit.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Quite new indeed, since it's your first post! Welcome to Cast Boolits, you'll like it here.

Wow--a Lee Loader! That's exactly how I got started in 1966, when a clerk in my local gun store convinced me I could shoot more for less by loading my own, and sold me a .38 Special Lee Loader. Still have it, but moved up to bench mounted presses because of the need to make more reloads faster. I've even bought several more Lee Loaders over the years for different calibers when I acquired a firearm in a caliber I wasn't loading for, and just wanted to try a few rounds out before making up my mind on how far to go with it. The first additional tool you might want to acquire is one of the squeeze-type priming tools, as the original Lee system has a disconcerting habit of popping a primer every now and then when they're being tapped into place.

Best advice--buy a couple of the current reloading manuals and stick with their recommended loads. I don't believe you'll find leading to be much of a problem at the lower end standard velocities, but if it is there's another tool you can look into called a Lewis Lead Remover.

Hey--I sincerely mean it--you're embarking on a great adventure, one of the world's best hobbies, and years and years of learning and entertainment. Best wishes.

skeettx
12-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Hello Overalls87
WELCOME on your first posting
Well done on the reloading and it sure is FUN
to shoot your own accurate reloads :)
Mike

dverna
12-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Welcome
I also started with a Lee.....Lee Target Loader in .222

You will soon tire of using it for pistol loads but it will teach you a lot about the process.

Get yourself a couple of manuals. You will learn a lot from them. There is also data on the manufacturer web sites you can trust. DO NOT TAKE ANY LOAD ADVICE OFF THIS OR ANY FORUM......unless you check it against published data.

Don Verna

OptimusPanda
12-17-2016, 01:09 PM
I swore I had chronographed this load before and found something quite close to what you've been loading...
Boolit: commercial hard cast .358" 158gr LSWC
Primer: winchester small pistol
Powder: 3.2 grains Bullseye
Average velocity (10 shots) -> 767

Overalls87
12-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Der Gebirgsjager I do currently use a hornady hand priming tool. I was always uncertain about pounding primers into those cases with a metal rod from the lee loader and an hammer.

HeavyMetal
12-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Welcome!

The Lee loader is as good a place to start as any and better than most!

My experience with the Speer LWSC is they are swaged lead not cast and as such fairly soft, in your 38 special load they may not lead but push a little more velocity and you could see leading.

Since your using a Lee Loader the amount of rounds your loading is not considerable by any means and I'd consider continuing to buy cast boolits from any number of commercial sources, I've found Rim Rock Bullets to be good quality at fair prices with real fast delivery times, I use them when I don't have time to cast and need to shoot and have been a repeat customer which says something.

Now if your planning on increasing your range time and trips, that's a different story and another thread, LOL!

HM

smkummer
12-17-2016, 01:40 PM
Yep, started my first reloading with a Lee loader in 1976. They work to show you can actually make your first reloads and that they work. You will think you went to heaven the first time you use a press and are done wacking the cases into the lee loader. If you get a press, then its your job to introduce a new shooter to reloading but passing on your lee loader to him. But if your only shooting a little and have little storage, then its OK. You didn't say your barrel length but the above figures are right. Bullseye is great for target loads and a little goes a long way. If you want more power, then 231, unique or the new power pistol powders will get you more FPS. 750 FPS is a fun mild load that one can shoot all day. And if needed would also work in a defense situation as well.

Overalls87
12-17-2016, 01:43 PM
It's a 4 inch smith and Wesson model 67. Chambered in 38 special.

Char-Gar
12-17-2016, 01:44 PM
You load is a very good one and will give good results in almost any and every 38 Special revolver. At the velocity of that load, the Speer or Hornaday swaged bullets will most likely give you good results without undue leading. The only way to know for sure is to load and shoot some.

Best of luck in our reloading and shooting.

mdi
12-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the wonderful, oft confusing and frustrating world of reloading...:mrgreen:

I too started with a Lee Loader loading 38 Specials with a generic 158 gr. lead bullet, back in 1969. I put together a lot of ammo for mebbe 10-12 months before "graduating" to a hand press. I would suggest using bullets from a commercial caster (if you don't cast your own) over the Speer soft swaged as many have leading problems with swaged bullets, and there are several good ones around (I like Beartooth Bullets and Acme, but I cast 99% of my own). Fellers here can recommend good vendors. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cast%20bullet%20vendors

I'd suggest a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (3rd Edition if one is easily found but a 4th is good too). You'll get load data for your lead bullets and when you start casting there is an excellent "How To" section. I've sent thousands of boolits downrange powered by W231, Bullseye, Unique and Universal and some were quite accurate.

FWIW; my "house gun" is stuffed with 150 gr. DEWCs over a hefty charge of Universal for 850-875 fps. Good across the room accuracy, good tissue damage, little over penetration...

Overalls87
12-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the help. You all are a great and very informative bunch. Speaking of acme bullets. Would anyone suggest using their " lipstick" 158 grain lswc with 3 grains of bullseye and a winchester small pistol primer?

skeettx
12-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Sure, almost any cast bullet for the 38 Special will work with 3 grains of Bullseye

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/38-CAL-Lead-Cast-Bullets/38-158-SWC-NLG

Mike

Smoke4320
12-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Wow all the answers about starting with a Lee Loader .. Add 1 more... 30-06 in 1977 had no one to teach me and the internet did not exist
read a lot of magazine articles and trail and error ..
anyway you have come to the right place.. lots of good and knowledgeable people
spend time reading posts and in a short while you will begin to appreciate all that is here

jeepyj
12-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Welcome aboard I hope you have an abundance of time on your hands. Your going to need it hanging out here. Read read read then load, shoot, repeat then buy more stuff and start all over again. Enjoy, It's a great hobby!

Eddie Southgate
12-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Loaded my first 8mm's with a Lee loader . Good learning experience but too slow. Went to a 310 tool and then to a Tru Line Jr. Still use the last two but the Lee Loader is long gone.

Eddie

Silverboolit
12-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Started in 1972 with the LEE loader also. Bought it from the local hardware store, and asked about powder and bullets. Owner came up with a plastic scoop (LEE?) and a paper bag of powder and some 75 gr bullets. I asked how much powder, and he said only 1 scoop and only 1. If I remember right, the powder was .75 per pound and the bullets were 3.50 per 100. I have no idea what the powder was, although I am sure it was surplus. That was a long time ago and I still have fond memories of that kit and the times I had with it.

racepres
12-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Lee Loader in 44 rem mag and 357 Mag!!! started in about '77.
Still in the Canoe Club, and no Room...I loaded with the Lee Loaders for quite a few Years, even added calibers..30-30 then??? I don't recall...Got lots of then before I was done...10 years later I got a Press...I still use the Lee Loaders when I want an Experiment with just a Couple!!!!

Hick
12-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Welcome-- the guys above pretty much said it all, but I'll add that I load for my 38 Special (4" Model 64) and shoot Hornady 140 grain Cowboy lead, Speer Lead Hollow based Wadcutters (148 grain), and my own castings (148 grain wadcutters, 140 grain SWC and 158 grain SWC) with nothing more than the lube they come with, and nothing more than tumble lube on mine, up to close to 1000 fps, and have seen no leading. I mostly use 700x, W231 and HP-38, Winchester and CCI primers. I do enjoy working with that revolver! Have Fun!

Boolseye
12-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Hello. I'm quite new here. I have been loading target 38 special reloads with a Lee loader. It's quite fun and relaxing. I'm loading a winchester small pistol primer. Soon to be cci 500 small pistol primers when the winchesters are gone. 3 grains of bullseye and a 158 grain rnfp. These bullets are from the reloading shop. I have no idea who makes them. But they shoot well. Does anyone have any idea of the velocity? They are being shot out of a smith model 67. Unfortunately I have loaded and shot all 100 that I had. It was good fun shooting my " own " ammo. Are the speer 158 grain lswc bullets good for this load or will they lead badly? I apologize for the long winded first post.

Nice, man. great way to start. What you may find with the Lee Loader and cast bullets is that the case mouth needs to be expanded and you cain't do it with the loader, you can only bell the case mouth. It works best with jacketed bullets, in my experience. Swages the cast bullets down quite significantly, even with the bell.

I started on a lee loader, banging out 30-30 shells when I was about 14. Still have the loader and some of the 32 y/o shells :-).

Maven
12-18-2016, 10:01 AM
"What you may find with the Lee Loader and cast bullets is that the case mouth needs to be expanded and you cain't do it with the loader, you can only bell the case mouth." ...B'eye

Actually B'eye, some of the older Lee Loaders came with a case mouth expander and I'm pretty sure those made for pistols do as well.

rfd
12-18-2016, 10:38 AM
.303 and .222 with a lee loader back in the early 60's. what fun, but what far better fun getting a press! :)

as mentioned a bunch in this thread, you need to use a published load data manual. lyman cast boolits is a good one, for sure.

have fun!

Boolseye
12-18-2016, 02:50 PM
"What you may find with the Lee Loader and cast bullets is that the case mouth needs to be expanded and you cain't do it with the loader, you can only bell the case mouth." ...B'eye

Actually B'eye, some of the older Lee Loaders came with a case mouth expander and I'm pretty sure those made for pistols
do as well.

Perhaps you're right. I've never seen them. My set for .357 mag had a little plug that would flare the case mouth, but it wasn't a true expander.

ironhead7544
12-19-2016, 12:47 AM
I also started with a Lee Loader.

I would suggest a Lee Turret Press when you decide to move up.

Redd508
01-01-2017, 01:15 PM
I started with a 45 colt Lee Loader and eventually moved to a handpress with dies. 357/38 and 44 mag were soon to follow. I load more 38s than anything else and especially like wadcutters. I've been thru a couple of pounds of 700x with light loads. I loaded Magnus DEWCs before i bought my own mold. My next experiment will be with hardcast WCs in the 357. They could probably be pushed pretty hard with gas checks.

Walter Laich
01-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Another 'welcome' and Happy New Year

As you're enjoying your loading experience I suggest, respectfully, that you keep an eye open for a single stage press. A used one that hasn't been 'rode hard and put away wet' would be fine.

that would be another step on your reloading path

Multigunner
01-01-2017, 02:52 PM
The .38 Special is the easiest and cheapest cartridge to reload, and works great with everything from light round ball to 200 gr manstopper slugs.

I had sold my Nutcracker tool many years ago but still had a half can of Bullseye and a bag of recast sized an lubed boolits I used to buy by the hundreds at the LGS, also hundreds of empty cases.
When I came across another good deal on a .38 Special I decided to try out a loading method used by Partisans.

I drilled a 3/8 inch hole in an aluminum plate ( I later did the same with a steel slab) and polished it out with sand paper on a dowel till I got the diameter just right. I could then resize the fired cases by tapping them lightly with a rawhide mallet to the desired depth for neck sizing.
I used a common small dia punch to punch out the spent primers. To reprime I just set the primer on the plate, centered the case over it, and splipped a piece of brass tubing into the case and tapped it with the mallet till the primer was seated flush.

I tried seating bullets by tapping then in with the mallet with mixed results, so I tried a C Clamp and later used a bolt in the cuck of my drill press using the advancement handle of the press to gently seat the bullets.

A regular counter sink turned by hand cut a bevel in the case mouth for easier seating.

When I upgraded to the steel slab I could more easily full length resize the cases.

To make light round ball loads I drilled a 23/64 hole in the slab to drive .375 balls for the .36 Colt replica through to size them down and leave a flat band to better engage the rifling.
I made a tiny dipper (about one grain of Bullseye) for these loads using a chrome button soldered to a wire handle.
These little rounds were very quite and about the same power as a wrist rocket sling shot. Good medicine for rats.

rintinglen
01-03-2017, 11:40 AM
My first "press" was also a Lee Loader in 1970. 30-30 Winchester, soon followed by a 44 mag I spent a lot of evenings pounding 'em out.

Back to the OP's question, the Speer Swaged bullets work pretty well as long as you keep the speeds down. With your 3.0 grain load, they should be fine.

Muzzlehatch
07-19-2020, 01:53 PM
I know what you mean about popping primers. What were they drinking when they came up with that idea?

onelight
07-19-2020, 02:08 PM
Welcome , Another here that started with a Lee loader in 1970 mine was 45 colt. I was 16 at the time , Got my first press in 1973 still have both.

pworley1
07-19-2020, 02:24 PM
Welcome. I started with a 38spl set like you have in 1970 and still have it. I moved on to a Lyman single stage, then Pacific, then RCBS and so on and so on. Enjoy yourself.

BigAlofPa.
07-19-2020, 02:26 PM
I started with a 9mm and 45 acp lee loaders. The hammering got old quick lol.

rfd
07-23-2020, 06:29 PM
It's a 4 inch smith and Wesson model 67. Chambered in 38 special.

love that gun, i have the same one, just a little blinged up, load 3.6 grains of w231 over 158 grain precision hi-tec coated lead, or 4.2 grains of w231 over a 125 grain precision hi-tec, starline brass. lee classic turret loader pumps out the cartridges fast enuf and accurate.

https://i.imgur.com/ue4Vml5.jpg

oldsalt444
07-23-2020, 07:54 PM
If you still need a good 158 gr. RNFP, then check Bear Creek Supply. https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/38rnfp158
These are resin coated and impregnated with moly. No barrel leading and you don't expose yourself to lead. As a bullseye pistol competitor, I can attest to their accuracy. This is win-win.

Bullseye powder is a long time favorite for pistol, but if you get a chance, try WST. A top rate load is 2.7 gr. WST (or 2.8 Bullseye) and a 148 gr. HBWC. Tough to beat for accuracy and is a standard for competitors.

BTW, welcome to world of reloading and the forum. You're gonna love it!

rfd
07-23-2020, 08:01 PM
for me, coated is the way to go - no leading, no copper wash, win-win.

i usually load up with precision or acme hi-tecs, i'll give bear creek a try, thanx.

USSR
07-23-2020, 08:15 PM
No need to coat 'em if you lube and size them properly. Zero leading.

Don

mdi
07-23-2020, 11:12 PM
No need to coat 'em if you lube and size them properly. Zero leading.

Don

Yep. +1

Rich/WIS
07-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Quick! Quick! Alice, the rabbit ran down the hole. Get after him!!

Hanzy4200
07-25-2020, 07:30 AM
.38 spl is a great caliber to cut your teeth on. Congrats on getting into the sport. Be careful, you will have a mountain of molds piled up before you know it!

Wayne Smith
07-25-2020, 08:08 AM
I started with a Lee Loader in 30-30 and 16 ga. more years ago than I want to admit. First thing I got after than was a powder scale, I never trusted myself with those scoops.