PDA

View Full Version : 54bore LOOKIE HERE

triggerhappy243
12-17-2016, 04:55 AM
Hope the pics show up 3 separate balls, tha last one has the bottom lube groove filled with bore butter.

Tatume
12-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Looks nice. Are you going to shoot them with only one lube groove filled?

Squeeze
12-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Accurate makes a .54 maxi http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=54-460M-D.png

54bore
12-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Looks good trigger! Here are my 5 .54 Cal 182899 axi's poured from my molds, the top 2 are Maxi Hunters, and the bottom 3 are Maxi Balls

Outpost75
12-17-2016, 11:28 AM
A gentle correction on terminology, a 54-bore would describe a firearm of a gage equalling 54 balls to the pound, approximately 129 grains each or about 11mm in diameter.

What you have is a .54-inch CALIBER, barrel.

Not the same as a 5-inch 54 Caliber GUN. which refers to the diameter of the bore and length of gun tube in CALIBERS (multiples of the bore diameter), such as this USN Mk42:

54bore
12-17-2016, 12:27 PM
A gentle correction on terminology, a 54-bore would describe a firearm of a gage equalling 54 balls to the pound, approximately 129 grains each or about 11mm in diameter.

What you have is a .54-inch CALIBER, barrel.

Not the same as a 5-inch 54 Caliber GUN. which refers to the diameter of the bore and length of gun tube in CALIBERS (multiples of the bore diameter), such as this USN Mk42:

You must be referring to my log in name 'Handle'? It just sounded cool so i went with it. My real name is 'Lewis Monteith' if that makes any difference?

triggerhappy243
12-17-2016, 02:35 PM
outpost stepped into a conversation that was already in progress..... not knowing of the previous subject.LOL its all good.

triggerhappy243
12-17-2016, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Tatume;3878251]Looks nice. Are you going to shoot them with only one lube groove filled?

QUOTE: I actually do shoot them lubed like this. I find them to group better than completely fulll of lube.

triggerhappy243
12-17-2016, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=54bore;3878398]Looks good trigger! Here are my 5 .54 Cal 182899 maxi's poured from my molds, the top 2 are Maxi Hunters, and the bottom 3 are Maxi Balls

QUOTE: the bottom left is the mold i have. they drop at 435 gr. I only lube the lower groove. I do not size them or use a felt wad, but I want to try that next.

dualsport
12-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Picture of the gun?

triggerhappy243
12-17-2016, 02:49 PM
who's gun?

Squeeze
12-17-2016, 03:16 PM
any gun, pictures are always good! :) Haha draw one with a crayon, I'll look

Outpost75
12-17-2016, 04:14 PM
You must be referring to my log in name 'Handle'? It just sounded cool so i went with it. My real name is 'Lewis Monteith' if that makes any difference?

ROTFLMAO~! Time for Mk42Gunner to check in now...

54bore
12-17-2016, 04:50 PM
any gun, pictures are always good! :) Haha draw one with a crayon, I'll look

Here ya go Squeeze! 182926

54bore
12-17-2016, 04:56 PM

54bore
12-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Those targets are shot with the above rifles, Both are Renegades with Green Mountain LRH Barrels, Blued barrel is my .45, and the Stainless is my .50 i sure as heck wish i could find one of these barrels in 54 Caliber! I have yet to see a .54 Green Mountain LRH (fast twist) seen plenty of .45 and .50s but not a single one in .54 Cal

54bore
12-17-2016, 05:12 PM
Both the above targets were shot at a ranged 85 yards, both are 5 shot groups, i pour both of these bullets, the 45 is an 11MM rifle bullet with 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper then sized DRY through my .448 sizing die. My 50 Cal bullets are from a Lee Mold, 500 S&W bullet, 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper and sized DRY through my .498 sizing die. I use Swiss 2F powder in both of these rifles. These rifles make it REALLY REALLY hard for me to like messing with Lubing Max Balls! LOL! Paper Patched and sized are the way i prefer to roll!!!

triggerhappy243
12-17-2016, 05:25 PM
our range is divided up at 25, 50 and 100 yards. I need to go out and shoot this 54 again. I envy your groups. My eyesight is more of a handicap for me. I need new glasses. I will try a different target design to afford me a better sight hold.

54bore
12-17-2016, 05:44 PM
our range is divided up at 25, 50 and 100 yards. I need to go out and shoot this 54 again. I envy your groups. My eyesight is more of a handicap for me. I need new glasses. I will try a different target design to afford me a better sight hold.

Trigger, i am in the EXACT same boat as you with my eyesight, i nearly cut my right eye in half working in the woods, i am a Timber Faller at trade (had to have my eye stitched) My eyesight in my right eye has never been the same since i cut it. Me and open sights just dont work anymore! I found that i can shoot a peep sight really well tho! All 5 of my muzzleloaders are set up with peep sights, i use the Tang mounted Lyman 57SML peep, and Lyman 17AHB Globe front sight with a Lee Shaver insert, you get 2 different post beads in the Lee Shaver Card, i like both of them, the largest of the 2 for hunting and the smallest for target work. The Lyman 17 Globes come with a full set of inserts but they are not even close to the Lee Shaver inserts!! I will take a pic of the difference of the Lyman and Shaver inserts and post it here. The peep sight setup is kinda spendy but its a must for me!

54bore
12-17-2016, 06:00 PM

54bore
12-17-2016, 06:32 PM
Those are the inserts for the Lyman 17 series Globes, Starting from left is the finest post with bead, the center is the largest bead, both of these are the Lee Shavers inserts, the one on the right is the Lyman that comes with the Globe, as you can see there is a HUGE difference, and believe me when you sit down at 100 yards the difference is UNREAL!! You can stil see the outer edge of a 2" bullseye with either of the Shavers, the Lyman will cover it up. Idahoron shoots this exact setup all the way out to 300 yards! He obviously has to be able to see what he is aiming at, he can do that with the Lee Shavers.
The aperture in the other picture is something new i am trying, it is made by Williams and called a twilight peep aperture, it fits the Williams peeps and Lymans as well. I really like it so far, the little brass ring seems to make a difference in low light, it comes in a few different sizes, .050 hole, .093 hole (same as the larger of the 2 that comes with the Lyman 57SML) and a larger .125 hole.
This peep setup is as close to a scope as you can get, i HIGHLY recommend this setup to anyone with problems seeing open sights well, with regular open sights at 100 yards you cover up an entire target and then some! To me it might as well be the whole hillside, i just cant see like i use to. Not the case with this peep sight setup! You can get ULTRA FINE precise, especially with these little tiny Lee Shavers inserts! My thoughts are why burn the powder and lead if i cant see what i am shooting at? Exactly why i have these on every muzzleloader i own. Try this setup and you will be impressed!! The only draw back i can find with this setup is in low light, it gets REALLY tough to see through a peep. Ive been saying that someone needs to market a Tritium insert for the 17 Globe, the same stuff they use in high dollar night sights on pistols that put out a small amount of light.

Squeeze
12-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Nice! have a squirreler set up in similar fashion. 182981

54bore
12-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Here is the steel target that Idahoron shoots all the way out to 300 Yards, this would be a decent target for 100, but he can hit this all the way out at 300 yards with a Lyman 57SML peep, and Lyman 17AML Globe front sight with a Lee Shaver insert. TRY THIS WITH YOUR OPEN SIGHTS!! You would cover up the whole mountain side. Again, Idahoron has to be able to see this target in order to hit it, that says a bunch for how FINE these peep sights are! 182982

Harleysboss
12-18-2016, 01:54 PM
54 and idahoron, I'm curious about the globe front sight. How is it in the lower light of early morning or just before dark? Dark timber, ya know where the big ones like to hang out:) The front sight is the only part of the system that I have not switched to. I have fiber optic fronts but they are fragile and BIG (covers alot up).

54bore
12-18-2016, 03:06 PM
54 and idahoron, I'm curious about the globe front sight. How is it in the lower light of early morning or just before dark? Dark timber, ya know where the big ones like to hang out:) The front sight is the only part of the system that I have not switched to. I have fiber optic fronts but they are fragile and BIG (covers alot up).

Harleysboss, That is the MAJOR drawback to this system, and it is a BIG ONE especially here where i live, Thick Thick Country might actually be an understatement here! Like anywhere else most of the best hunting is daylight, and right before dark, very low light. I have had an idea for quite sometime now to combat the problem, a tritium pin designed to fit the 17 Globe, just like the spendy night sights on pistols. I brought this up to a big name in the industry, he seemed somewhat interested, but i think the hold back is his fear of demand for something like this. I looked up tritium light pipes and found some stuff on ebay that interested me, but it turned out to be totally different than what i thought it was. Ron lives in WAAAY more open country than i do, i dont think this is near as big an issue to him as it is here for me.

Omnivore
12-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Peep, or aperture, sights are definitely the way to go. The smaller the aperture though, of course, the less light gets through. For testing the accuracy of loads then, I use the smallest aperture, but for hunting I use one of the larger ones as a compromise. It means I have slightly less range, for a shot taken responsibly, but it also means better visibility in low light, and probably half or better of your deer are going to be taken in low light.

AND NOW FOR THE ADMONISHMENT.

All this talk about "covering" targets is troubling, and totally unnecessary. You could use your shoe as a front sight, and with the proper adjustments, It'll never cover your target. My front sight is a faux ivory bead. The bead is rather large, but that doesn't matter a whit. I adjust the sights for bullet impact at the top of the bead, and thus the bead NEVER covers the target. Please stop with this silly talk. You choose your sight picture, so don’t complain about it - fix it.

Harleyboss; That fiber optic front sight is probably the ideal for hunting. I used a fiber optic front this season, and it was great. Again, the sights are adjust for the sight picture of YOUR CHOICE. I have all of mine set up for POI = the top of the bead. For my ML rifle that means 100 yards, so if the target is closer I'm aiming slightly lower. At NO POINT within my chosen hunting distances does any front sight ever cover the target. If it does, it's not the sight's fault. It's your fault because you're doing it wrong.

The fiber optic front sight may appear only so-so at times when trying it indoors, but you get it outside, even before sunrise or after sunset on an overcast day in the woods, and they're wonderful. No tritium necessary, being as once you'd really need tritium, it'd be illegal to take the shot anyway.

Tritium is for self defence. Black front sights are for match shooting or load testing on nice days on targets that present good contrast with the sight. They suck for many hunting scenarios. At least paint it blaze orange or something.

rodwha
12-18-2016, 03:22 PM
This might interest you then:

http://glow.glowinc.com/gun-sights/

I have some but found that it doesn't last over night. I don't know how long it lasts, but it is very bright at first. I talked to him about this and was told I needed to apply it much thicker than I did (I used a small paint brush but was told to use a child's medicine syringe).

54bore
12-18-2016, 04:08 PM
AND NOW FOR THE ADMONISHMENT.

All this talk about "covering" targets is troubling, and totally unnecessary. You could use your shoe as a front sight, and with the proper adjustments, It'll never cover your target. My front sight is a faux ivory bead. The bead is rather large, but that doesn't matter a whit. I adjust the sights for bullet impact at the top of the bead, and thus the bead NEVER covers the target. Please stop with this silly talk. You choose your sight picture, so don’t complain about it - fix it.

Omnivore, i would love to see you CONSISTENTLY shoot that steel plate at 300 yards with your rather large 'Faux ivory bead' i am not saying you cant do it, but id LOVE to see it done CONSISTENTLY!!! I totally understand adjusting for bullet impact at the top of the bead, it is the way most open sight shooters sight their guns in, you should be able to see where u want to hit, not the bead covering the spot. My point with the Lee shaver inserts is how much FINER they are on target at any distance. Go ahead and bolt your shoe on the end of your barrel, and at 300 yards what would your margin for error be? The little fine Shaver inserts make a world of difference in being able to pin point a WAAAAY smaller spot at any distance.

Omnivore
12-18-2016, 04:25 PM
One of my favorite, low tech, or "old school" front sights has a flat, vertical back which faces the shooter, matte black, with a vertical white line down the center. Shown is one I made for a Zoave rifle a few years go. It's a crummy photo, but you get the point. The black and white always contrasts with whatever target.

54bore; I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense, but we're sort of talking across purposes here. A fine sight may help, even a great deal, for precise long range shooting, but the matter of "covering" a target it is a different subject altogether, is the point. Small or large, your front sight should never "cover" your target. Nor do I question your and IdahoRon's accomplishments. Rather I find them inspiring, and since you expressed an issue or problem, I'm trying to help.

To the separate issue of sight width; The front post can, in theory, appear twice as wide as a bull's eye and (now to the altogether different issue of sight picture) still not cover it one bit. A hunting setup would ideally be a bit different than a Bull's Eye setup, but in any case you choose the sight picture, and then adjust the sights accordingly. If your sight covers the target to such an extent that you have a difficult time with it, then change your sight picture and re-zero accordingly, regardless of the size or style of the front sight.

54bore
12-18-2016, 05:22 PM
54bore; I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense, but we're sort of talking across purposes here. A fine sight may help, even a great deal, for precise long range shooting, but the matter of "covering" a target it is a different subject altogether, is the point. Small or large, your front sight should never "cover" your target.

Omnivore, agreed, i will freely admit that i prefer to put the bead ON the spot i want to hit instead of just under it like most open sight shooters do. A good example is my dad, he hunted hound dogs all of my younger life, he used a little winchester model 94 .22 Magnum, he could hit a bobcat in the head that was perched up in the tip top of a tree, the trees on the Wa coast were TALL, point being my dad was an amazing shot with that little rifle, VERY RARE that he ever missed what he intended to hit, NOW me on the other hand I couldn't hit a bull in the @ss with that little gun?? And i grew up HATING that little rifle! I would hold the bead DEAD ON and miss EVERYTIME, unless it was a big target, one day after a cat hunt and a miss from ME my dad set up a card board box and drew a 1-2" circle in the center and had me shoot it, i shot 3 times from a good rest, we walked up and sure enough i was WAY high, but all 3 of my shots were inside a half inch, it was obvious we were not using the same sight picture, dad then asked me what i was seeing when i shot? I explained to him that when i got the bead in the rear sight notch and the bullseye was at the top of the bead i slightly raised the bead up to just cover the bullseye and shoot, he smiled and said THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM! He explained to me that sometimes in certain situations all he had was an eyeball to shoot at, he told me that he NEVER covered what he wanted to hit, the spot he wanted to hit was sitting on top of the bead. So i did learn how to shoot his rifle that day!! But to this day with my own guns i stil cover what i want to hit, that is where the Little fine lee shaver insert comes in so well for me, i can hold dead on a little 2" bull at 100 yards and stil see the outer edges of the bull, NO WAY IN THIS WORLD COULD I DO THAT WITH A NORMAL BLADE, OR BEAD SIGHT. My dad stil to this day tells me i am wrong, but he smiles and says 'I cant argue with your shooting'
Omnivore, I definately understand what you mean, but DAMN if i can make myself shoot an open sight, or peep that way! Its just me and how i do it. Maybe i will play with this again this spring and see if i can retrain myself! Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks, LOL

triggerhappy243
12-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Omnivore, agreed, i will freely admit that i prefer to put the bead ON the spot i want to hit instead of just under it like most open sight shooters do. A good example is my dad, he hunted hound dogs all of my younger life, he used a little winchester model 94 .22 Magnum, he could hit a bobcat in the head that was perched up in the tip top of a tree, the trees on the Wa coast were TALL, point being my dad was an amazing shot with that little rifle, VERY RARE that he ever missed what he intended to hit, NOW me on the other hand I couldn't hit a bull in the @ss with that little gun?? And i grew up HATING that little rifle! I would hold the bead DEAD ON and miss EVERYTIME, unless it was a big target, one day after a cat hunt and a miss from ME my dad set up a card board box and drew a 1-2" circle in the center and had me shoot it, i shot 3 times from a good rest, we walked up and sure enough i was WAY high, but all 3 of my shots were inside a half inch, it was obvious we were not using the same sight picture, dad then asked me what i was seeing when i shot? I explained to him that when i got the bead in the rear sight notch and the bullseye was at the top of the bead i slightly raised the bead up to just cover the bullseye and shoot, he smiled and said THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM! He explained to me that sometimes in certain situations all he had was an eyeball to shoot at, he told me that he NEVER covered what he wanted to hit, the spot he wanted to hit was sitting on top of the bead. So i did learn how to shoot his rifle that day!! But to this day with my own guns i stil cover what i want to hit, that is where the Little fine lee shaver insert comes in so well for me, i can hold dead on a little 2" bull at 100 yards and stil see the outer edges of the bull, NO WAY IN THIS WORLD COULD I DO THAT WITH A NORMAL BLADE, OR BEAD SIGHT. My dad stil to this day tells me i am wrong, but he smiles and says 'I cant argue with your shooting'
Omnivore, I definately understand what you mean, but DAMN if i can make myself shoot an open sight, or peep that way! Its just me and how i do it. Maybe i will play with this again this spring and see if i can retrain myself! Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks, LOL

AWESOME STORY. Wish I had that quality time with my dad.

Omnivore
12-18-2016, 07:05 PM
54Bore; OK, all understood then. If you're getting the hits, then there's probably no reason to retrain, but if covering the target occasionally is a problem, then it may be worth the effort. I found that after using a red dot reflex sight, I ended up centering my ivory bead on the target, resulting in high hits, so how you train is how you shoot, and there will be some confusion during any transition period. I could have avoided said confusion by holding the top of red dot reflex reticle at the point of impact, same as using a bead front sight on the muzzleloader, rather than centering it as almost everyone does with that type of optic sight. For those who aren't familiar with the subject of sight picture, here's a fairly good example, showing a military aperture sight setup aiming at a row of bullseye targets;
http://www.odcmp.org/0907/usamu_sightpicture.asp

My sight picture, using the rear aperture and the front ivory bead sight, is similar to the "center hold" shown in the link except that instead of a black, square-top front post it is an ivory-colored circle. So the top edge of the ivory bead is centered on the center of the bullseye. I works, and you can see plenty of the target. Maybe not as well as a very fine post at 300 yards, but it works. A hunting sight setup is always a compromise of some kind, favoring high contrast/high visibility, and faster targeting, at the expense of very long range precision. The main thing is to know your capabilities and limitations before you take to the field, and work within those parameters, rejecting any game that lie outside of them. No matter the mechanical capabilities, that of course has to kept in mind. Idahoron's and 54Bore's setup is ideal for long distance in good lighting conditions, and so of course, when hunting in good conditions, it's a killer of a setup. To make it more ideal for hunting in less than ideal conditions, some kind of high contrast front sight would go a long way.

I've totally failed in low light with a black-on-black front/rear sight setup at close range, and so, while 54Bore has the positive experience to prove the capability of the Lyman aperture rear/Lee Shaver front sight setup at long distance, I have the negative experience to prove the short-comings of any black-on-black arrangement in poor light. That's why I believe that the Lyman rear aperture and a fiber-optic front sight would be an excellent compromise. Also, if hunting Black Bear, or Moose, the black front sight would be especially challenging.

idahoron
12-18-2016, 08:17 PM
The problem that a LOT of guys have with using a 6 o-clock hold is they shoot high on game. Your eye will center the globe and peep sight with NO training at all. When a animal is in the position for a shot at long range (out to 150 yards on the first shot) I have found that in most cases I have the time to set up the shot. Now at close range that tends to not be the case. Close shots tend to be what I call bust and cuss. You bust the animal and cuss because it is smaller than you wanted :Fire:

At close range under 50 yards with a globe front sight and low light I allow my eye to center the two circles, the peep and globe, I have my globe painted white to help with seeing it in low light. I know I wont take a shot farther than 50 yards so I set the sight and again let my eye adjust for the shot even if I can't make out the fine pin. Running shots are not much different. I allow my eye to compensate by centering the sights
I have hunted with guys that use a 6 o-clock hold to keep from covering up the target. When not rushed they can calmly go over the shot they do fairly well. On a bust and cuss or a moving shot they tend to shoot high. A deer or elk comes on to an old logging road or trail and all you have time for is pull up and shoot. The double circle of the peep and globe is actually quicker in my opinion than a peep and conventional front sight held at 6 o-clock.

I can see where a 6 o-clock hold was first needed. The stock sights on muzzleloaders are horrible at best. I don't see the need to use that hold now with better sights. The width of a standard TC front sight is WIDE. even using a 6 o-clock hold there is a lot of room for error when determining if your hold is indeed in the right spot.

Holding over or under is too much to think about. That is why I went with a sight picture that I can hold dead on and just shoot.

idahoron
12-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Another thing that I just can't do is focus on the front sight and allow the target to be blurry. When I used to shoot competition archery I trained my self to focus hard on the spot I wanted to hit. My concentration was only on the spot I selected. The front sight then covered that spot of increased concentration. A blurry target to me makes no sense when trying to shoot either small groups or game.

54bore
12-19-2016, 12:42 AM
Here is my hold

54bore
12-19-2016, 01:43 AM
I hold EXACTLY like the top picture, except with the Lee Shavers fine bead i would stil be able to see the little black crosshair line. The bottom 6 o'clock hold picture is how my dad shoots. The truth is i HATE, and i mean HATE open sights!! If it were legal to hunt with a scope on a muzzleloader during muzzleloader only hunts i would no doubt have a scope!! But its not legal on muzzle loader only hunts here in Idaho, So in other words i had no choice but to use open sights and since i despise them so much I decided to try the peep sight system, i was amazed at how much finer they appeared to me, i stil hadn't recieved my Lee Shaver Card and i was thinking to myself, how much better can they possibly be? When i got them and installed one i was SHOCKED! They are REALLY fine, when i put that little bead on my target at 100 yards i am CONFIDENT its gonna get hit! I can NOT say that with regular open sights, and like Ron stated the factory sights on muzzleloaders are horrible at best, The stock TC front blade is HUGE, when i look down one at 100 yards i get the feeling id be better off with a claw hammer in my hand. I much prefer the bead over the blade, but truth is they are both garbage to me, with the blade being quite a bit more garbagy of the 2. It all boils down to using what you like, what you are comfortable with. When i hear someone speak about having trouble with there eyes, and feeling handicapped about it, i cant help but mention my success with these peep sights and Lee Shavers inserts, in hopes that maybe it will work as well for them as it has for me. And for the record NO I DONT HAVE STOCK IN LYMAN OR LEE SHAVERS!!

rfd
12-19-2016, 07:35 AM
a neodymium ring magnet makes for a good rear peep attachment to an existing buckhorn or partridge notch rear gun sight. these magnets are extremely powerful and won't budge, even with a full load .62 smoothbore and a 327grain patched ball. the magnets are either disc or block on the outside and come in a variety of diff'rent center hole diameters. a neat way to test out a rear peep without spending a lotta $$$.

K&J magnetics (https://www.kjmagnetics.com/)

http://i.imgur.com/5Ukl4rb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jt7xZjm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jYsqwoH.jpg

or ya can make a peep extension add-on for a rear sight.

http://i.imgur.com/rPqlCo0.jpg

or do the lyman sml57/17globe setup.

http://i.imgur.com/oSrXiGb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WyVKoUT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MMx5s5c.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oypEBX2.jpg

54bore
12-19-2016, 11:53 AM
rfd, i would say you got it covered! The Magnet is a darn cool idea, skinner makes a rear sight peep that is similiar to one of those you have made. Those are darn nice rifles as well, its a darn shame they have them 'Ole Sparky Locks' on them, Except that middle one in the bottom 3 photos, at least you got 1 good dependable gun!!! LOLOL had to throw that jab in there! I have never shot a Flintlock and just cant imagine doing so, but i respect you guys that do! Very nice Rifles!!

rfd
12-19-2016, 01:25 PM
yessir, the neo ring and block mags are a quick and easy way to add a viable peep sight to most any rifle. i use neo mags for other things primarily and as soon as i saw those, a 1000 watt light bulb went off big time. 8-)

as to those gun pix i posted above, they're all offshore cheapos, mostly from kits that i made to work well, but for me none of 'em can't hold a candle to a well built onshore custom trad ml. flintlocks rule for me, so the only aberration in that lot is that silly toy cap gun. LOL! :mrgreen:

54bore
12-19-2016, 02:39 PM
So the only aberration in that lot is that silly toy cap gun. LOL! :mrgreen:

LOLOL! I am friends with a guy here that builds custom trad ml's, Steve does some AMAZING work, he knows good and well that i am a died in the Wool Caplock TC Hawken, Renegade guy along with a fast twist conical bullet shooter. I asked him one time what he disliked about the TC's? He told me he did not like the coil spring in the lock at all, he said that would be his first upgrade, to a Davis, or L&R if i remember right? He showed me a lock, and it was VERY well made, like a fine watch! He didnt have any other bad complaints, he just smiled and said 'they dont excite me' his love is long barrels and patched round balls. Him and i are on 2 COMPLETELY different wave lengths! lol, it would be boring if we all thought alike tho

rfd
12-19-2016, 06:25 PM
LOLOL! I am friends with a guy here that builds custom trad ml's, Steve does some AMAZING work, he knows good and well that i am a died in the Wool Caplock TC Hawken, Renegade guy along with a fast twist conical bullet shooter. I asked him one time what he disliked about the TC's? He told me he did not like the coil spring in the lock at all, he said that would be his first upgrade, to a Davis, or L&R if i remember right? He showed me a lock, and it was VERY well made, like a fine watch! He didnt have any other bad complaints, he just smiled and said 'they dont excite me' his love is long barrels and patched round balls. Him and i are on 2 COMPLETELY different wave lengths! lol, it would be boring if we all thought alike tho

as opposed to percussion ignition, with flinters the lock is the heart of the system. those offshore assembly line locks aren't precision made nor hand fit, and can be a chore to properly tune, particularly due to their design and internal build components. i have no issues with a coil mainspring as opposed to a flat one. there are things about the L&R RPL investarms replacement locks that i don't like and can't see spending that kinda loot (175) on any offshore gun (unless there were other personal or aesthetic factors). while i like assembling and fiddling with the offshore trad ml's, there's nothing like a well tuned flintlock rifle or smoothbore, featuring a chambers-siler or L&R lock. i get some really fast ignition with them, using 3f for tube AND pan, close to if not sometimes as fast as a cap lock. 8-)

triggerhappy243
12-23-2016, 04:37 AM
To get back on topic...... I went out to the range wednsday, carefully packed everything i needed to test out some more of these maxi-balls and proceeded to leave the house at 7 am.............. With the rifle laying on the bed.

54bore
12-23-2016, 09:48 AM
To get back on topic...... I went out to the range wednsday, carefully packed everything i needed to test out some more of these maxi-balls and proceeded to leave the house at 7 am.............. With the rifle laying on the bed.

LOL, Oh man! Its not funny when something like this happens to us, BUT it sure as heck is when it happens to someone else!!! LOL, Did you go get it and shoot?

triggerhappy243
12-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Nope. I work a cleanup party there wednsdays. Got sidetracked and left the house without it. First time i have ever done this.