PDA

View Full Version : How Many Are Making Shot Here

RP
06-20-2008, 10:16 PM
I have seen alot of posts of people asking about making a shotmaker and people that have made one and some of people that are making shot to sale.
But how many are making shot and how far are they going with the process ( Graphite Sorting Selling

1. Ricky P (make shot to sell or trade for WWs)

jackley
06-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Don't sell it just make it for myself. Made everything myself Shotmaker, and a little tumbler to graphite with.

Jerry

kycrawler
06-23-2008, 12:29 AM
i make shot for myself and do a 50/50 trade with local people i sort and graphite it and package in 2 liter soda bottles and gallon milk jugs

i made my own shotmaker out of 1/4 inch steel plate and tweeco .023 welding tips i replace the tips after about 15 hrs of operation as they start to erode out over time but at .60 each it doesnt work out too bad

heathydee
06-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Been doing it for years . Never felt handicapped with my homemade eight and a halfs shooting skeet . When I miss it is my fault . Guys from my club supply lead and I give them half back in shot. It is an activity well worth doing.

JeffinNZ
06-23-2008, 05:47 AM
yeap, I am making my own shot now. I have a Game King shotmaker I guess was made here in NZ, maybe AU. One nipple only so slow but, hey, who's in a hurry. I just set it going and do something else for 20 minute, come back, top up, repeat.

shotman
06-23-2008, 07:27 AM
kycrawler--- i posted a warning on trapshooter's about the pop bottles i was useing them also had 2 split-- about 60lbs shot to clean up. if you are goning to keep a while i would run duct tape around them shotman/rick

JohnClark7886
06-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Anybody making large shot like 6's, 4's, 2's, BB's???

shotman
06-23-2008, 05:41 PM
john 6 is not hard to make but larger is with the home type stuff--- most of us use this for trap/skeet where you load several 1000 rounds a month shotman/rick

RP
06-23-2008, 07:52 PM
good thinking on the welding tips love to see a pic of it. We just pasted the 2 ton mark and decidied to knock 5.00 off a bottle. so that will make it 30.00 for 25lbs plus shipping. In case you guys are getting lazy and rather buy it lol

crowbeaner
06-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I just sent the check for a Littleton to Allen in AZ. I'm waiting with baited breath for it to show up. I ordered it with #6 drippers, and when I get enough #6 I'm going to drill the drippers for #5. I don't use enough #4 and #2 to modify them further, so I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a bag of each to load some when I run out of bigshot shells. The price has gone up. but I figure with $.25 a lb. for the lead I have I'll come out OK. After I make my stash Im going to put the machine up for sale and use the money for powder.

RP
06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
sounds like you have a plan Crowbeaner I have heard that the back order on Littletons are long not sure what is going on with them if you do see yours in the mail try Betterbuilt shotmaker I think its better than a Littleton. good luck to you

Johnch
06-23-2008, 11:52 PM
A freind and I use a home built unit that I bought years ago , it is a 3 droper set up
Sort of based on the Littleton design crossed with a Lee bottom pour pot
Makes great shot , I have #9 , 8 ,7 , 6 and about 4 ( it came with a #9 and I made the others )
The #6 makes about 75% round shot , rest have a tail

The #4 dropers , 1 makes 75% good shot the other 2 make 25% good shot

But the #4 I only tryed it for a few lbs , with a little work I might get bettter results

JOhn

chrisx1
06-25-2008, 05:32 PM
I have a home made shotmaker....seems to be working well enough, still tweaking a few things.

RP
06-26-2008, 06:54 PM
there are lots of factors that effect the shot tails rounds flats size and so on. Shot maker was dropping shot fine with single drippers changed to doubles to increase output shot went to crap. After messing with lead types heat coolant temp I found the problem to be the height from nozzle to ramp was the problem. Now i get 95 percent good 9s on a 200lb run with the old drippers I got 60 percent 9s 40 percent 8s and the rest was trash.

Shotgun Luckey
06-29-2008, 12:39 PM
How do you sort your shot?

missionary5155
07-11-2008, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=jackley;355109]Don't sell it just make it for myself. Made everything myself Shotmaker, and a little tumbler to graphite with

Where do <i look for plans to build my own setup... the crows are calling !:Fire:

RP
07-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I sort my shot with a coffe can gal size whit hole drilled in it . I have it mounted on a old seed spreader the push kind from lowes and a drill turns it . It is placed at a slight angle and I feed it with a copper tube that drops shot at the rear of the can as it turns the sized shot falls out and the oversized shot overflows into a catch basin. I use one for 9s then one for 8s everthing else gets remelted. I also roll it on a table to get the small flats and other odd shapes out.

Bobby Ironsights
07-19-2008, 02:40 AM
sounds like you have a plan Crowbeaner I have heard that the back order on Littletons are long not sure what is going on with them if you do see yours in the mail try Betterbuilt shotmaker I think its better than a Littleton. good luck to you

Maybe it is, and maybe it ain't, but they don't take make units that run on household voltage. That's a serious obstacle for some people, though probably alot cheaper for the manufacturer.

RP
07-19-2008, 05:28 PM
220 is a household voltage electric hot water heaters are 220 dryers are 220 most AC units are 220.. What feeds the house is 220 it is broke down into two legs so to speak only tieing to one with a single breaker gives you 110 the legs in the panel box are stacked so when you add a two pole breaker you now have 220. Now having the know how to do this may be a problem and the plug he sends with the unit is a AC window type plug but it can be changed. One way to do it is a drop cord no smaller than a 10 ga with a female plug to fit machine on one end and a mail plug to plug in at stove or dryer plug. More than one way to skin a cat. Its not like were talking about 3 phase here.