PDA

View Full Version : ""new truck deal turns to a disaster"

gray wolf
12-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Men it's like people say
" When you think nothing else can go wrong--That's when it can, and it did.
In spades.

All prep work was done, multiple phone calls, three trips to see the car by my friend.
Called the insurance company to switch everything over,
my friend all ready to pick up the car today at 4PM.OK,

let me back up.

My friend told me when he first checked out the car that he didn't have heat at idle from the defroster ( car sitting )
Said all other vents were fine, plenty of heat, and then when driving the car the heat seem to be better at the defroster.
Let me add that my friend told me more than once the car was in great shape ( was a great looking car, very clean )

My friend Brad spoke to his mechanic and he said it's either the radiator or the blender box
( think that's what he called it ) I called Ford and spoke to the service manager, he said fluid low in radiator,
Could be the radiator needs replacing, told him the fill bottle was full. then he said could be the blender door.
I called the guy selling the car and told him about the problem and he said he would have it checked out.

He called me last night and said it was all fixed and that it was the thermostat, and all was good.
I asked him if he checked it at idle after the car warmed up cause that was the problem, and he said no.
So I said how do you know it's fixed if you didn't recreate the problem ?
Said he didn't have time, but said he trusted his mechanic and the car was fine.
that's when Julie switched everything over and told brad to pick up the car at 4 today.

Well this morning the seller called back and said he couldn't sleep last night, and this morning he started the car and let it sit while it warmed up. He turned on the defroster and got cold air, at least 20* colder than the heater.
He said it was more than likely the blender door/blender box. couldn't be fixed till next week and the cost would be passed on to Julie and I, That cost could be 700 t0 $800 because it's a 6 to 8 hour job.

I'm leaving out all the internal stress to Julie and what's going on here.
At this point all the money that was raised by all my great friends here was needed to do the deal and then some from my next month S,S, check. It would be tight but we thought we could get it done.

Now I don't no what to do, Julie had a flat yesterday with the old truck and the sway bar came UN-done.
She is scared to all out even to drive it, ( I sure don't blame her )
I asked him if we could split the cost ( Don't even know how we would cover that amount ) but I asked anyway.
He said he would have to ask the lady that he is selling it for, and would let me know.
So I am on hold, For what I don't no,
can't seem to afford what we thought we could afford.

It wouldn't be so bad cept hours and hours of frustrating time has been spent just to find this car.
Some folks said to let them know how things work out and if we needed a little more help.
Men how do I do that ? people have been so good up to this point, we thought everything was worked out, my wife was so happy she even posted pictures of the new truck on a different post.
75 years old is not a good time to go through this, ( not that anytime is OK ) believe me I got that.

I have to ask you all, what do I do ?, do I try to continue with this ?, do I ask for more help ?
Do I walk ? At this point all I know to do is to see if he will take some of the fix cost off the added money.
Added money we don't have.

Folks if you have had it with us I don't blame you one bit, I know there is only so much you all can do for us.

So this probably to long post gave me a chance to let you know what's going on,
A chance to vent, and most importantly to ask your advise.
I truly apologist in advance for even having to say all this.
I feel like I have failed at being able to take care of my family, something no man should fail at.

Sam

snowwolfe
12-16-2016, 02:29 PM
Tell the seller to either fix it at their expense or you aren't buying it.

standles
12-16-2016, 02:31 PM
I would ask if the seller would split the repair cost with you. Then I would go to the local churches and see if they could provide a one time help for you. Many churches (at least here) have benevolence funds to help folks as yourself when things get balled up. Hoping it works out for you.

Steven

square butte
12-16-2016, 03:08 PM
It sounds to me as if money has already changed hands. I believe the seller should at the very least pay half the repair bill - Or refund the purchase price. I am putting you both in my prayers because I know this can be a difficult situation. God is in control.

Sweetpea
12-16-2016, 03:09 PM
This is most likely a problem with the blend door.

Blend doors are vacuum operated, so it may just have a small vacuum leak somewhere.

Hope this works out!

shoot-n-lead
12-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Prayer sent for a resolution to this situation.

Wise Owl
12-16-2016, 03:24 PM
It sounds to me as if money has already changed hands. I believe the seller should at the very least pay half the repair bill - Or refund the purchase price. I am putting you both in my prayers because I know this can be a difficult situation. God is in control.

No that's not what I said, we still have all our donated money, came very close, but we didn't loose it.
Just not enough for the repair.
Rock and a hard place--yes I agree the seller should pay for some of this.

Sam

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Sam and Julie,
My advice, if you haven't signed a purchase agreement and/or had the vehicle title transfered...is to demand that it's fixed on the sellers dime or you are going to back out of the deal. But that is only my advice. The decision is yours and I trust you will make the best decision for yourselves.
Good Luck,
Jon

shoot-n-lead
12-16-2016, 03:35 PM
yes I agree the seller should pay for some of this.

I agree...PROVIDED...the owner has not already agreed to a big discount on the sales price...unaware of this problem.

OS OK
12-16-2016, 03:36 PM
It's a pretty good assumption that the seller knew of this problem, especially if he used the SUV personally...then tries to sell it and act innocent.
There's more fish in the sea than this one...sometimes God trips our best laid plans to steer us in another direction. It has worked like this in my life.

Tell him to fix or forget the deal. Then make sure he knows that you will contact Car-Fax or whatever that outfit was and notify them of this and it'll be there for him to deal with eventually...might give him a second thought to negotiate with you.

When I find someone who is not honest in full and up front...I pick up my marbles and head for another game...but that's me.

Hope that you get through this annoying BS and can concentrate on having some Happy Holidays...charlie

waarp8nt
12-16-2016, 03:50 PM
I was a mechanic for many years. If there is a problem, heaters in vehicles are designed to default to defrost so you can see out of a clear windshield. This is why it seems to work best on defrost. These days most blend or mode doors in automotive applications are controlled small electronic motors that are prone to fail...I have seen the plastic doors broken too. To me all automotive HVAC systems are the definition of planned obsolescence. The sad part....it is usually a costly repair because the dash has to be removed from the vehicle making it labor intensive.

I personally would walk away from the vehicle. Otherwise it would have to be fixed before I bought it.

Wise Owl
12-16-2016, 03:54 PM
The seller (car lot) didn't own OR drive the car. Didn't know it was an issue until our friend drove it and found no heat from the defroster when it idled to warm up. It belonged to his bookkeeper.

We are waiting to hear back about the bookkeeper/owner absorbing this cost or not. We haven't made our minds up yet on whether to nix it all or not.

Wise Owl
12-16-2016, 03:58 PM
I was a mechanic for many years. If there is a problem, heaters in vehicles are designed to default to defrost so you can see out of a clear windshield. This is why it seems to work best on defrost. These days most blend or mode doors in automotive applications are controlled small electronic motors that are prone to fail...I have seen the plastic doors broken too. To me all automotive HVAC systems are the definition of planned obsolescence. The sad part....it is usually a costly repair because the dash has to be removed from the vehicle making it labor intensive.

I personally would walk away from the vehicle. Otherwise it would have to be fixed before I bought it.

This is not what happened. The defrost didn't work but the heater blasted out great heat.

Plate plinker
12-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Sam and Julie,
My advice, if you haven't signed a purchase agreement and/or had the vehicle title transfered...is to demand that it's fixed on the sellers dime or you are going to back out of the deal. But that is only my advice. The decision is yours and I trust you will make the best decision for yourselves.
Good Luck,
Jon
This^^^^^^^

Now go find yourself a toyota 4Runner.

Wise Owl
12-16-2016, 05:02 PM
This^^^^^^^

Now go find yourself a toyota 4Runner.

No third seat in those, plus parts are even MORE expensive to repair them.

jcren
12-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Had a for ranger about that age that did that. Turned out it was the blend motor (small elec motor and gear on top of box) $25 part and 15 minutes to replace. Something don't sound right.

NoAngel
12-16-2016, 05:12 PM
I had a similar problem with my work truck. Engine could be hot and defrost was ice cold. Vacuum lines good. All looked right.....turned out to be a pencil.
YES, a pencil. Evidently, the previous owner had lost a pencil in the vent and it had wiggled it's way down and locked up the works. LOL!! Who'd have thought a pencil?

daniel lawecki
12-16-2016, 05:12 PM
walk away as fast as you can

JimB..
12-16-2016, 05:23 PM
I HATE to say it, but his isn't something that the seller (bookkeeper) didn't know about, and I wouldn't suggest dealing with a dishonest seller since you can't afford to fix this surprise much less the next one.

Wise Owl
12-16-2016, 05:48 PM
We were told that the whole dashboard had to come out to repair the blend door.

Been trying to contact the dealer for the past hour or so. Not picking up, left a message.

I think it's going to be back to looking again. Tough when you live far away from any dealers and you can't take a look yourself. This one was close to our friend who did go check it out for us. So, back to square 1 again. And we have about a month to find something or we will have no wheels at all due to our inspection sticker running out plus the Expedition in need of repairs that we don't want to spend money on to fix them all. In our minds that's just throwing money away that could be used to get something else.

Pickins are slim right now.

B. Lumpkin
12-16-2016, 06:57 PM
Walk away. Then source a cheaper vehicle that takes care of your needs. From what I have read, a smaller (cheaper) vehicle will get you from point A to point B, but you will have to leave the dogs at home.

RogerDat
12-16-2016, 07:48 PM
Walk away. Then source a cheaper vehicle that takes care of your needs. From what I have read, a smaller (cheaper) vehicle will get you from point A to point B, but you will have to leave the dogs at home. Sooner or later dogs end up having to go in car. Vet or going away for awhile and need to leave them with someone even if they are not making the trip.

That said smaller such as similar year escape should be cheaper to operate. Dogs need someplace to be, maybe they could get away without having own seat or they can have back seat and "stuff" can go in the hatch back.

Know it is tough break but way better to find out now, rather than finding out after you purchase an unaffordable repair looms. Purchase price was "acceptable" when it did not need $800 in repairs, now that it does the purchase price is probably not a good deal. If I understand once going down the road the defrost works? Or not at all? A possible alternative if defrost will work underway is to have them come down in price and see if you can get the repair done for less? But frankly I'm skeptical that this issue was not known. Of course I tend to scrape windows and go so I might miss same problem for a little bit.

In my thoughts and prayers that his will works for your joy.

BrassMagnet
12-16-2016, 08:33 PM
At least it turned into a disaster before you were stuck with a lemon and no funds to make lemonade!

chambers
12-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Go look for different vehicle, there are always vehicles to buy.

jcwit
12-16-2016, 08:53 PM

Not really, at least not by much anyway. Just checked RockAuto prices for starters & alternators and they are very similar. Plus, remember Toyota makes more autos world wide than anyone else. They didn't get there by building cars that always need replacement parts. I have a Pontiac Vibe '05, with over 150,000 miles. Only thing I've had to replace is the oil filter, air filter, and sparkplugs. It even has the orginal exhaust system! YMMV

B. Lumpkin
12-16-2016, 08:56 PM
I have a 2008 Ford escape. 149,000 miles and all I have had to replace is the battery twice, and brake calipers. Carries me, the wife, 2 kids, a 70lb dog, and groceries. It did fantastic in snowy conditions. I owned chains, but never needed them in over 5 winters of snowy, icy, and wet conditions.

Uncle Jimbo
12-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Tell the seller to either fix it at their expense or you aren't buying it.

What snowwolfe said.

JWT
12-16-2016, 09:35 PM
What snowwolfe said.

I'll third that. You wouldn't buy a house with a known major problem without deducting the repair price.

jcwit
12-16-2016, 09:38 PM
I have a 2008 Ford escape. 149,000 miles and all I have had to replace is the battery twice, and brake calipers. Carries me, the wife, 2 kids, a 70lb dog, and groceries. It did fantastic in snowy conditions. I owned chains, but never needed them in over 5 winters of snowy, icy, and wet conditions.

I've never had to replace the battery, it also is the one it came with. I do have the car sprayed with Corrosion Free Rust Proofing every 18 month, after 11 years, no rust. But in the end the decision is ut to the OP's.

B. Lumpkin
12-16-2016, 09:40 PM
I buy the cheapest batteries available at the auto store. After about 4 years the battery tends to give up the ghost in the winter.

MaryB
12-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Driving minus the sway bar is safe as long as you don't make real fast turns(like to swerve around a deer). Keep the speed down and you can drive the old one for now. We used to disconnect the sway bar to rock crawl in the valley near me, gives more suspension travel!

merlin101
12-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Driving minus the sway bar is safe as long as you don't make real fast turns(like to swerve around a deer). Keep the speed down and you can drive the old one for now. We used to disconnect the sway bar to rock crawl in the valley near me, gives more suspension travel!
I was thinking the same thing Mary, but I really don't remember what a Ford sway looks like so I'd recommend leaning down there and making sure that it won't rub or jam into a tire. I highly doubt that could happen BUTTTTTT.

blackthorn
12-17-2016, 12:33 PM
We have 2 Toyotas. A 2004 Highlander and a 2006 Tundra. Great trucks! Have had the Highlander for 8 years and all we put on it has been tires, brakes and one front wheel bearing. Not bad on gas either. It does have an intermittent aggravating problem with the heater, but other than that, overall great vehicle. The Tundra we have had for 4 years and all I have had to do was replace tires. It is hard on gas in town driving but not bad on the highway. Keep in mind that "not bad" is somewhat subjective and I determined years ago that if I was going to drive large-size 4x4 pickups that I should not sweat the gas mileage that I get stuck with. When I decided to go to Toyota as opposed to any other make I first looked in the for sale places and quickly discovered that not many Toyotas were listed anywhere, and those few that were listed were quite expensive compared to similar sized vehicles. I came to the conclusion that the reason there were not many for sale was because people were keeping them. From this I decided they were likely quite dependable. We are happy with our Toyotas and likely the next vehicle we buy will be another Toyota. Good luck in your search.

garym1a2
12-17-2016, 12:34 PM
My 2009 Toyota Matrix was ar 185K miles when i sold it to a friend. Its very reliable, only Mechanical bill I had for it was an AC compressor. It also will go almost anywhere, plus it has a good heater.

Not really, at least not by much anyway. Just checked RockAuto prices for starters & alternators and they are very similar. Plus, remember Toyota makes more autos world wide than anyone else. They didn't get there by building cars that always need replacement parts. I have a Pontiac Vibe '05, with over 150,000 miles. Only thing I've had to replace is the oil filter, air filter, and sparkplugs. It even has the orginal exhaust system! YMMV

Battis
12-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Does Maine require vehicle inspections? If so, does Maine have a Lemon Law?
Here in Mass, if a purchased vehicle does not pass inspection, the seller is responsible for a large percentage of the repairs or they're required to refund the price paid.

Traffer
12-17-2016, 01:46 PM
I was a mechanic for several years. There are some cars or trucks that will do that. Little aggravating things that cost a fortune to fix. In my opinion, there will be more and more problems with this thing. I wouldn't walk away, I would run away.

Tracy
12-17-2016, 02:03 PM
I was a mechanic for several years. There are some cars or trucks that will do that. Little aggravating things that cost a fortune to fix. In my opinion, there will be more and more problems with this thing. I wouldn't walk away, I would run away.

+1000. And that is even if the seller agreed to pay for the repair. I certainly wouldn't buy it knowing I had to cough up $800 for repair. It's not like you are beholden to this deal.

rockrat
12-17-2016, 03:29 PM
If you do buy it, have them deduct the cost of repair ($800)from what you pay. They might claim it was fixed , but it wasn't (Sis had that happen, but lived too far away to take them to court).
If they don't fix it on their dime,not having a defroster would be hazardous and selling a car with such a known defect that would increase the likelyhood of a wreck, could leave them liable, I believe,in case of a wreck.

Wise Owl
12-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Friends !! I thank you and Sam thanks you.
Once the shock wore off --Your advise took little brain power to see it.
The deal is no more, it has been cancelled.
Yes a let down for us, but we didn't loose any of the precious donated money.

Thank you for standing by us and adding good advise.

Sam & Julie

Hardcast416taylor
12-17-2016, 03:55 PM
Sam, If that problem was apparent now, what other little `surprises` could there be waiting in the shadows? Now you know what to demand from a seller if there are apparent problems. A signed document from the seller to you stating any problems they will fix and any other hidden problems that show up in 30 days that they will stand for is a good thing to get at closing the deal and get it notarized. Have an indepentent mechanic look over any future vehicles you may be considering. If a seller balks about this. run away from that deal and don`t just walk! A seller should have no objections to a vehicle being looked over before cash changes hands.Robert

Handloader109
12-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Good decision. This time $800, next thing a thousand! Plenty of vehicle out there! Good luck!

DougGuy
12-17-2016, 07:10 PM
I tell you what I will do. I was going to sell my "fishing truck" after the first of the year, but I will offer it up for sale now if you are interested.

1999 Chevy Blazer LS 4x4 with 133k on vehicle, 3300mi on a BRAND NEW top to bottom 4.3L Vortec V6 engine, brand new radiator, brand new distributor, and less than 300mi on a brand new battery and oil change with full synthetic. It is CLEAN, TIGHT, and QUIET. Everything works except the driver's door window which can be fixed with a $30 motor from ebay. It has Michelin LT M+S rubber on it with plenty of tread left. This is a CHERRY vehicle for it's age, true Southern vehicle with NO RUST. I got it to take onto the sand at Hatteras and fish, but after a few trips, it's easier to just go to the fish market and buy the same fish I would have caught, so I have decided to sell it.

Asking $3k firm. As is where is.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Fishing%20In%20Hatteras/DSC04609-640_zpsa9enj1r6.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Fishing%20In%20Hatteras/DSC04609-640_zpsa9enj1r6.jpg.html)

osteodoc08
12-18-2016, 12:51 AM
Wow. Those 4.3L GM motors are typically bullet proof. What happened to it that mandated a new motor?

Im also guessing it's in NC?

DougGuy
12-18-2016, 01:13 AM
According to the son-in-law of the lady who owned it, it blew a head gasket when the radiator failed. She said put a new motor in it and we will sell it. So they dropped a brand new long block from Poteat engine rebuilders in Kannapolis NC into it, and a new radiator and new distributor. I bought it when it had 600mi on the motor, and it came with the receipt with a 2yr 24k mile warranty, which still has some months left on it. It starts and runs great, heat and AC work like brand new.

shooterg
12-18-2016, 01:19 AM
Dougguy's deal is just a bus/train/plane ride away ! My brother has one of those(in ugly green) with waaaay more miles and he's still trucking. Might be the way to go. And you'd get to see some warmer weather for a few days . Road trip !

Thumbcocker
12-18-2016, 07:12 AM
With enough funds left over for rustproofing and good tires

tim338
12-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Those Blazers are bullet proof and good for many miles if maintained. I think a fair price too.

BrassMagnet
12-18-2016, 09:10 AM
Those Blazers are bullet proof and good for many miles if maintained. I think a fair price too.

I like this plan!

square butte
12-18-2016, 09:21 AM
It seems a good plan - But first and foremost it needs to feel right and work for Sam and Julie

B. Lumpkin
12-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Heck, if the OP passes on the Blazer, then I am interested, lol.

That vehicle should dang near meet all their wants.

Plate plinker
12-18-2016, 12:15 PM
Sequoia? And parts are not that bad at all. PLUS they are easy to repair. 20 minutes to change a half shaft front axle. did it myself.

Plate plinker
12-18-2016, 12:26 PM
I tell you what I will do. I was going to sell my "fishing truck" after the first of the year, but I will offer it up for sale now if you are interested.

1999 Chevy Blazer LS 4x4 with 133k on vehicle, 3300mi on a BRAND NEW top to bottom 4.3L Vortec V6 engine, brand new radiator, brand new distributor, and less than 300mi on a brand new battery and oil change with full synthetic. It is CLEAN, TIGHT, and QUIET. Everything works except the driver's door window which can be fixed with a $30 motor from ebay. It has Michelin LT M+S rubber on it with plenty of tread left. This is a CHERRY vehicle for it's age, true Southern vehicle with NO RUST. I got it to take onto the sand at Hatteras and fish, but after a few trips, it's easier to just go to the fish market and buy the same fish I would have caught, so I have decided to sell it.

Asking $3k firm. As is where is.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Fishing%20In%20Hatteras/DSC04609-640_zpsa9enj1r6.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Fishing%20In%20Hatteras/DSC04609-640_zpsa9enj1r6.jpg.html)
Very gracious sir.

Wise Owl
12-18-2016, 01:19 PM
We are looking at a couple other deals up here in Maine right now but thank you Doug for your generous offer.
Need to find a car closer to home as we can't leave the cabin due to using wood heat with no backup. Frozen pipes...

But there are a couple other cars, so who knows.

Tackleberry41
12-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Its very liekly who ever was selling the vehicle knew it had the defrost issue, didnt want to pay to fix it. Its rare to find a vehicle that doesnt require removing the dash to get at the heater box. Some cars you swear they started with a heater core and built a car around it. VWs you took the dash out, and oh its right there and easy to get at, once you took the rest of the car apart. Others it was still several hrs to disassemble the box and get at the internals. Could be worse an S class mercedes was 19.6 hrs of labor, and were known for cracking the windshield in the process as theres a structural crossmember under the dash, but over the AC/heat box.

ole 5 hole group
12-18-2016, 02:23 PM
For an offer like that, I'm thinking if you have a local friend, maybe you could purchase a one-way airline ticket and give him a couple hundred for gas back and his time - if you can't get away for a couple days by trusting your spouse and a neighbor or two to cover your home duties. A bird in hand is usually better than a couple somewhere in the bush.

It's your bacon, fry it any which way you desire.

Bookworm
12-18-2016, 03:03 PM
That looks like a smokin' deal to me. I'd buy it, and I don't need it.

Seriously, a plane or bus ticket is a few hundred bucks. Drive back home is maybe 2 days plus fuel. $600 or so in expenses gets you a rust-free vehicle that appears suitable. There would be money left over for insurance and a 'vehicle emergency' fund.

Wise Owl
12-18-2016, 03:14 PM
Neither of us are in a position health wise to go and get this nice truck. And we are in the depths of winter up here. 15 inches of snow this week, then freezing rain this morning and part of the night. No one is moving except the snow plows out there and they are working almost 24 hours now. THEN it's going below zero again.

Bus and planes are 3 hours trip one way. No one up here that could get us to one.

K?

On a positive note, our guy who did the woodsplitting came and took care of the driveway, roof's and such today. He also knows a friend who is looking for an Expedition the age of ours to use as a part truck.....So, it may be sold once we get a better one.
We already have him booked up to split and stack this next winter's firewood. We have 5 cord coming from the state this year so I am very happy to have that taken care of in May/June......late spring.

Winter is long up here. And the weather is bad 99% of the time. It is what it is.

God bless you all for your help and kind thoughts. We appreciate them all.

rockrat
12-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Heck, buy it and have it shipped up there!!

ubetcha
12-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Did the vehicle in question have good air flow from the defroster vent or just cold temp? I have run into this several times, especially on Pontiac Grand Prix with the 3.8l engine. Problem was that the heater core was partially restricted internally. A good cooling system back flush through the core and everything works fine. Now the cause for this condition on GP's could have been because of the crappy Dexcool that GM uses. If air is in the cooling system due to a low coolant condition, Dexcool eventually turns into to a brown sludge that nothing can desolve or clean it completely from the system. If the vehicle is still being considered for purchase, it might be worth while to try a back flush. My wife has a 1998 Chevy Blazer with the 4.3l engine and every one in a while I have to do the on her vehicle and there is no leak in the system. Although Ford does not use Dexcool, there may still be a restricted core concern.

jonp
12-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Fixed at sellers expense or walk from the deal. They are going to have to get it fixed to sell it to someone in Maine in the winter.

Recluse
12-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Neither of us are in a position health wise to go and get this nice truck. And we are in the depths of winter up here. 15 inches of snow this week, then freezing rain this morning and part of the night. No one is moving except the snow plows out there and they are working almost 24 hours now. THEN it's going below zero again.

Bus and planes are 3 hours trip one way. No one up here that could get us to one.

K?

On a positive note, our guy who did the woodsplitting came and took care of the driveway, roof's and such today. He also knows a friend who is looking for an Expedition the age of ours to use as a part truck.....So, it may be sold once we get a better one.
We already have him booked up to split and stack this next winter's firewood. We have 5 cord coming from the state this year so I am very happy to have that taken care of in May/June......late spring.

Winter is long up here. And the weather is bad 99% of the time. It is what it is.

I'm just gonna say this and I'm no longer worried what you or anyone else thinks.

I'm disappointed in the both of you. You appear to be more intent on finding reasons NOT to succeed on this undertaking than you are on looking for ways TO succeed.

You're hellbent on a Ford. That is problem number one. You are LIMITING your options in a severe way.

Fact: There are damn good deals to be had out there on ALL makes and brands. I've put over 500,000 miles on the last two Chevy half-ton trucks I've owned--270,000 on the first one, and 240,000 on the one I presently own. The first Chevy is still running and going up in Kansas City--a place that also knows a thing or two about rust.

You cannot beat a Toyota for longevity or reliability. Dealership parts/service is a bit more expensive, but any independent mechanic who cannot work on a Toyota needs to rip off his ASE patch and become a florist. He's not cut out to be a mechanic.

You have two large dogs. I get it. We've had big dogs as well. But given the option between either walking or leaving one or both at home, those dogs can curl up by the fireplace and gnaw on bones while the missus and I go to town or to the market or wherever we need to go. We are not limo drivers for our animals. Besides, I've had three large dogs (two German Shepherds and a Rottweiler) in a Toyota 4Runner before with myself and another adult. Biggest problem was when one of the dogs blew some methane. Tight quarters. . . But the point is, we got everyone and our gear in that SUV. How often are you going to have a full vehicle packed with supplies plus the both of you plus your dogs? In ya'll's circumstances, the prudent thing is to plan for the rule and not the exception.

You have a helluva deal offered to you in North Carolina by a known, established and respected member of this forum. And I mean one HELLUVA good deal that will meet all your needs. Your response wasn't to find ways to make it happen, but instead excuses why it can't happen.

Unacceptable.

I just sent off for a transport quote from Kannapolis, North Carolina to Rangeley, Maine with a scheduled transport ship date of 28 December. The total cost for putting that Blazer on a flatbed and hauling it almost literally to your doorstep is $650.

Want it expedited? $800.

Combined with the asking price of that vehicle and the funds you have in your Paypal account, you can have your cake, frost it and add an order of ice cream to it and still have preventive maintenance funds left over to keep that Blazer running for a good, long while.

Sam, you were a soldier once. You were trained to find ways to win, not how to make excuses for losing. I've been following this saga for a while in "lurk mode" and to say I'm disappointed is a understatement. I know all about Maine winters--I married a Maine gal and still have family there, remember? I know all about the "the world is against me" bravo-sierra mentality that permeates too much of that state. But I also know about the fiercely independent devil-may-care and spit-in-his-eye attitude that so many more Mainers have who FIND ways to make things work by NOT being so (expletive deleted) tunnel-visioned about things.

That's it, I've said my piece and will go back to my occasional lurking. But there is a solution to your truck woes and it is right HERE in this thread. Quit being so narrow-minded and stubborn and open up your options.

:coffee:

jmort
12-18-2016, 04:04 PM
^^^
There is a lot of common sense

Recluse
12-18-2016, 04:14 PM

K?

I'm just gonna say this and I'm no longer worried what you or anyone else thinks.

I'm disappointed in the both of you. You appear to be more intent on finding reasons NOT to succeed on this undertaking than you are on looking for ways TO succeed.

You're hellbent on a Ford. That is problem number one. You are LIMITING your options in a severe way.

Fact: There are damn good deals to be had out there on ALL makes and brands. I've put over 500,000 miles on the last two Chevy half-ton trucks I've owned--270,000 on the first one, and 240,000 on the one I presently own. The first Chevy is still running and going up in Kansas City--a place that also knows a thing or two about rust.

You cannot beat a Toyota for longevity or reliability. Dealership parts/service is a bit more expensive, but any independent mechanic who cannot work on a Toyota needs to rip off his ASE patch and become a florist. He's not cut out to be a mechanic.

You have two large dogs. I get it. We've had big dogs as well. But given the option between either walking or leaving one or both at home, those dogs can curl up by the fireplace and gnaw on bones while the missus and I go to town or to the market or wherever we need to go. We are not limo drivers for our animals. Besides, I've had three large dogs (two German Shepherds and a Rottweiler) in a Toyota 4Runner before with myself and another adult. Biggest problem was when one of the dogs blew some methane. Tight quarters. . . But the point is, we got everyone and our gear in that SUV. How often are you going to have a full vehicle packed with supplies plus the both of you plus your dogs? In ya'll's circumstances, the prudent thing is to plan for the rule and not the exception.

You have a helluva deal offered to you in North Carolina by a known, established and respected member of this forum. And I mean one HELLUVA good deal that will meet all your needs. Your response wasn't to find ways to make it happen, but instead excuses why it can't happen.

Unacceptable.

I just sent off for a transport quote from Kannapolis, North Carolina to Rangeley, Maine with a scheduled transport ship date of 28 December. The total cost for putting that Blazer on a flatbed and hauling it almost literally to your doorstep is $650.

Want it expedited? $800.

Combined with the asking price of that vehicle and the funds you have in your Paypal account, you can have your cake, frost it and add an order of ice cream to it and still have preventive maintenance funds left over to keep that Blazer running for a good, long while.

Sam, you were a soldier once. You were trained to find ways to win, not how to make excuses for losing. I've been following this saga for a while in "lurk mode" and to say I'm disappointed is a understatement. I know all about Maine winters--I married a Maine gal and still have family there, remember? I know all about the "the world is against me" bravo-sierra mentality that permeates too much of that state. But I also know about the fiercely independent devil-may-care and spit-in-his-eye attitude that so many more Mainers have who FIND ways to make things work by NOT being so (expletive deleted) tunnel-visioned about things.

That's it, I've said my piece and will go back to my occasional lurking. But there is a solution to your truck woes and it is right HERE in this thread. Quit being so narrow-minded and stubborn and open up your options.

Smoke4320
12-18-2016, 04:35 PM
If that transport cost is correct you should have your answer to your problems and money left for future repairs

Smoke4320
12-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Recluse would you be so kind as to pm him the details of that freight quote

BRobertson
12-18-2016, 04:50 PM
i'm just gonna say this and i'm no longer worried what you or anyone else thinks.

I'm disappointed in the both of you. You appear to be more intent on finding reasons not to succeed on this undertaking than you are on looking for ways to succeed.

You're hellbent on a ford. That is problem number one. You are limiting your options in a severe way.

Fact: There are damn good deals to be had out there on all makes and brands. I've put over 500,000 miles on the last two chevy half-ton trucks i've owned--270,000 on the first one, and 240,000 on the one i presently own. The first chevy is still running and going up in kansas city--a place that also knows a thing or two about rust.

You cannot beat a toyota for longevity or reliability. Dealership parts/service is a bit more expensive, but any independent mechanic who cannot work on a toyota needs to rip off his ase patch and become a florist. He's not cut out to be a mechanic.

You have two large dogs. I get it. We've had big dogs as well. But given the option between either walking or leaving one or both at home, those dogs can curl up by the fireplace and gnaw on bones while the missus and i go to town or to the market or wherever we need to go. We are not limo drivers for our animals. Besides, i've had three large dogs (two german shepherds and a rottweiler) in a toyota 4runner before with myself and another adult. Biggest problem was when one of the dogs blew some methane. Tight quarters. . . But the point is, we got everyone and our gear in that suv. How often are you going to have a full vehicle packed with supplies plus the both of you plus your dogs? In ya'll's circumstances, the prudent thing is to plan for the rule and not the exception.

You have a helluva deal offered to you in north carolina by a known, established and respected member of this forum. And i mean one helluva good deal that will meet all your needs. Your response wasn't to find ways to make it happen, but instead excuses why it can't happen.

Unacceptable.

I just sent off for a transport quote from kannapolis, north carolina to rangeley, maine with a scheduled transport ship date of 28 december. The total cost for putting that blazer on a flatbed and hauling it almost literally to your doorstep is $650.

Want it expedited? $800.

Combined with the asking price of that vehicle and the funds you have in your paypal account, you can have your cake, frost it and add an order of ice cream to it and still have preventive maintenance funds left over to keep that blazer running for a good, long while.

Sam, you were a soldier once. You were trained to find ways to win, not how to make excuses for losing. I've been following this saga for a while in "lurk mode" and to say i'm disappointed is a understatement. I know all about maine winters--i married a maine gal and still have family there, remember? I know all about the "the world is against me" bravo-sierra mentality that permeates too much of that state. But i also know about the fiercely independent devil-may-care and spit-in-his-eye attitude that so many more mainers have who find ways to make things work by not being so (expletive deleted) tunnel-visioned about things.

That's it, i've said my piece and will go back to my occasional lurking. But there is a solution to your truck woes and it is right here in this thread. Quit being so narrow-minded and stubborn and open up your options.

amen!!!

DougGuy
12-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Truck is in Wake Forest, NC. Might make it a few bucks cheaper.

WILCO
12-18-2016, 05:08 PM
Good to see you J.D.!!!

Smoke4320
12-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Recluse would you be so kind as to pm him the details of that freight quote

Wise Owl
12-18-2016, 05:54 PM
I didn't bother to log in but this is gray wolf.
RECLUSE
In order to maintain a friendship,
let me just say your post is way over the top and I would expect a little different attitude from you.
I don't need to be told who I am, who I was, and how I should act.
Perhaps I should send you a pair of of my shoes and you can walk around in them for a week or so.

I don't want to give anyone attitude, but your post is pure B/S.
Run your life Sir, don't try to run mine.
If I want to do business with someone I can handle it myself.

My obligation is to my family, my pets are part of that family.
You take care of yours and I'll take care of mine.

If you want to express yourself in that way, do it to some kid on the street.

Sam

Sweetpea
12-18-2016, 06:03 PM
JD seems to have finally put the general concensus into words.

Many here have contributed much toward your goal, I will not claim to, as I have way too much on my plate right now.

Folks here would like to see a happy ending to this story.

ole 5 hole group
12-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Gray Wolf - NO, he didn't go over the top - he told you right up front just how this whole thing looks right now. If I had money in on this deal, I sure would have said about the same thing, maybe a little harsher.

He even took the time to look up transport costs and delivery time - that is someone who has done a little extra for your benefit - this deal on the table right now is probably the best Christmas present that you and your spouse will find this season. If I were you - and I know I'm not - I would be just a tad more careful before hitting that send button, as most are concerned for your welfare and all the advice given is offered in that manner.

Have a great Christmas and all the best to you and yours in the upcoming new year.

DCP
12-18-2016, 06:19 PM
RECLUSE
let me just say your post is way over the top and I would expect a little different attitude from you.
Perhaps I should send you a pair of of my shoes and you can walk around in them for a week or so.

Sam

Now we see the real Sam

You only help people who help them self's.

How many times is it now you have begged for help

Maybe its time to move to town

BrassMagnet
12-18-2016, 07:13 PM
There are a few things I would like to see happen here.

I would like to see some serious consideration on whether or not this Blazer can work. It sure seems like it can be shipped up there at a good price. I even have a friend of 30 years who lives nearby in Madison, NC that might be able to take it for a test drive. His health is fragile, but I believe he would. It sure seems like a solid vehicle at a great price. Even with freight, it will leave a fair emergency fund behind.

I want the arguing to end. No more fuel on that fire!

I really want to see another book from Recluse. He is a great writer and I can't wait for book three.

Wait, I have to wait and that was three.

lightman
12-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Guys, This seems a little harsh. This couple is a part of our community, and needs help. Buying a used vehicle and spending $800 for repairs may not be a big deal for some, but it is for others. We need to be more supportave and less critical. I would like to see a happy ending to this. I'm trying to calculate the logistics of delivering a vehicle from the Carolinas to Maine. A road trip would be fun if not for the winter weather.

DougGuy
12-18-2016, 09:52 PM
The cost of the flatbed as Recluse calculated, is not really that bad considering that someone either has to come here and get it or take it there and then come back. Airlines during the Christmas week from Augusta ME to Raleigh NC are $300 ~ $400 one way, and fuel likely $110 ~ $120 for the 900mi trip, and you are within just a few tanks of gas from the shipping. That's not allowing any for food or a place to stay or taking in to account winter storms slowing travel or even bringing it to a dead standstill and now you spent a bundle more than the flatbed would cost.

The truck is solid. If someone wants to come drive it, be my guest, you won't be disappointed. Better yet, bring some cylinder and forcing cone work and kill two birds with one stone.

jcwit
12-18-2016, 10:31 PM
My personal opinion, which by the way means little to nothing is that recluse nailed it, all the way around!

Echo
12-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Sam and Julie,
Good Luck,
Jon

Big Plus One!

Plate plinker
12-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Not to be critical, but that chevy looks like a good deal for you all. Pull the trigger and get it shipped.

MaryB
12-18-2016, 10:42 PM
I mentioned earlier to expand the search. Dealers are constantly shipping trucks and cars all over the country and it could be a filler on a partial load for not a lot of cash. Friend just shipped a truck to TX as a filler on a dealer load, MN to TX was $350!

rockrat
12-18-2016, 11:26 PM
Heck of a price on DougGuy's vehicle and add shipping to that, you still have plenty left over for tag,insurance,taxes, ect.

Pass on it at your own peril. Good vehicle deals don't come along too often.

HABCAN
12-18-2016, 11:29 PM
As a contributor to this rescue of one of our 'family', I agree with Recluse. This offer is a genuine answer to the problem. Don't play me and all the others for suckers......Giterdun! Let's make this a Merry Christmas all around, K??

Wise Owl
12-19-2016, 12:02 AM
Don't play me and all the others for suckers...

What on earth is going on here ?
You donate money in good faith and now you dictate what I need to purchase.

My wife is absolutely sick over this for the last two months.
I have no more words for the comments and the attitudes that have been shown here.

I hope my true friends ( not the backstabbers ) can remove themselves from the absolutely trashy comments.
What on earth has gotten into you people.

G.W.

jsizemore
12-19-2016, 01:45 AM
Good Luck with your search for a vehicle. I hope you and your wife have a Merry Christmas.

jonp
12-19-2016, 07:09 AM
There are a few things I would like to see happen here.

I would like to see some serious consideration on whether or not this Blazer can work. It sure seems like it can be shipped up there at a good price. I even have a friend of 30 years who lives nearby in Madison, NC that might be able to take it for a test drive. His health is fragile, but I believe he would. It sure seems like a solid vehicle at a great price. Even with freight, it will leave a fair emergency fund behind.

I want the arguing to end. No more fuel on that fire!

I really want to see another book from Recluse. He is a great writer and I can't wait for book three.

Wait, I have to wait and that was three.

Guys, I live a few miles up the road from Dougguy and was going to drop a pistol off to him for some work anyways. I'll take it for a test drive when I'm there if Sam is interested although I have no doubt it is just as Dougguy said it was and I can't see any reason to doubt him.

DCP
12-19-2016, 11:17 AM
What on earth is going on here ?
You donate money in good faith and now you dictate what I need to purchase.

My wife is absolutely sick over this for the last two months.
I have no more words for the comments and the attitudes that have been shown here.

I hope my true friends ( not the backstabbers ) can remove themselves from the absolutely trashy comments.
What on earth has gotten into you people.

G.W.

The truth is not always pleasant or easy. Sometimes we are tempted to ignore it or reject it rather than accept what it reveals about us or the tough changes it demands of us.

JimB..
12-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Merry ***** Christmas y'all. I enjoyed watching the community help these folks out even though I don't know them or you, but some of you think that making a donation to help them gives you a say in how they solve their problem, and that's just silly. Ya'll did something wonderful, please don't screw it up now just because they may not be on the path you would have chosen.

Doug, nice truck, you gonna be selling some surf fishing gear too?

[apologies for the quasi-profanity...jb]

DougGuy
12-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Ya'll did something wonderful, please don't screw it up now just because they may not be on the path you would have chosen.

Doug, nice truck, you gonna be selling some surf fishing gear too?

Hey that was a very acute observation on your part, yeah probably will sell a couple of heavers, have 3 and some extra rods.

garandsrus
12-20-2016, 02:04 AM
RECLUSE

Sam

Sam,

The family here helped you take care of your family in a VERY big way, at least twice. I would count Doug Guy's offer as a third time. He is effectively giving you several thousand dollars off the price of what he could sell that truck for. Quite honestly, I am amazed at how much money people have sent you over the course of a couple vehicle fund raisers. You have always seemed grateful, humble, and appreciative. Not so much this time.

Instead of saying "thanks" to Doug guy for giving you a great deal and figuring out how to complete the deal, you told several people here to mind their own business and that you would take care of yours. If they had, you wouldn't have had funds for your current vehicle or funds for the upcoming vehicle.

I don't personally care what vehicle you get, but turning down a great deal that would solve your problems rubs people the wrong way.

DougGuy
12-20-2016, 06:09 PM
I have received several PMs regarding this Blazer, basically if Sam and Julie don't take it, I will be interested.

One of those PMs came from a member whos daughter is a single mom with 2 small kids that I think could probably benefit the most from it. I would like to offer it to them, not as a matter of the order in which the PMs were received, but in order of need if this makes any sense. Your thoughts please?

Merry Christmas!

Doug

bayjoe
12-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Go for it! What you're doing is really generous.

sparky45
12-20-2016, 06:12 PM
I have full faith you will make the correct decision Doug. BTW, Merry Christmas to you and your family.

garym1a2
12-20-2016, 06:24 PM
I would offer it to who you want to. A single Mom with two young kids could really use this type of truck.

I have received several PMs regarding this Blazer, basically if Sam and Julie don't take it, I will be interested.

One of those PMs came from a member whos daughter is a single mom with 2 small kids that I think could probably benefit the most from it. I would like to offer it to them, not as a matter of the order in which the PMs were received, but in order of need if this makes any sense. Your thoughts please?

Merry Christmas!

Doug

dverna
12-20-2016, 06:50 PM
DougGuy,

Sell it to the person who needs it the most. They will truly appreciate it.

It will also take Sam and Julie "off the hook" so to speak. They have had plenty of time to consider it and it does not suit their desires.

BTW, you are a very good man. Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

Don Verna

1911sw45
12-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Sell it to the young mom with the 2 kids. Sam and Julie seams they don't want this blazer from you.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Doug, you offered up the Blazer...it was declined. Sell it to whomever you wish.

Merry Christmas.

BrassMagnet
12-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Doug, you offered up the Blazer...it was declined. Sell it to whomever you wish.

Merry Christmas.

It was not posted in Swapping & Selling so "I'll take it!" is meaningless. Sell it ina way that pleases you!

jmort
12-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Single mom two kids
Seems best for all concerned

RogerDat
12-20-2016, 08:15 PM
man I wonder how things get like this? My current car is a Pontiac sunfire I think maybe 2007 it was certainly not a model that was high on my list but it had low mileage and was well maintained. Price was affordable. It does the job of getting me around which is all that matters. Not my ideal vehicle certainly, but serviceable. So yes I sort of get folks getting agitated over passing up a serviceable vehicle because folks are invested in seeing this be successfully concluded.

That said I'm reminded of when you loan family money, don't do it. Make it a gift that you don't expect them to pay back. This way you only give what you can afford and there are no angry or hurt feelings over all future spending by family member while they still owe you money. Think I see some of that here. Folks gave money to help out but didn't really let it go. Myself and I'm sure many others would hate to see Sam & Julie have an accident or get to the point where they can't drive what they have and don't have anything for transportation. They are grown adults and that means they get to make smart decisions and un-smart ones too. And some that one just won't know which they are until down the road when we see how it all works out.

Be a shame to take doing something good and with our attitudes turn it into something full of anger and criticism. Really the wrong time of year for that. Probably help if both sides kept an open mind and a gentle tone since there is some right in on both sides of the opposing views. Some truth in bird in the hand, some truth in too broke to spend money on the wrong choice. Don't know about the rest of you but I have picked the wrong side of that pair of choices more than a few times in my life.

Recluse
12-21-2016, 02:04 AM

Merry Christmas!

Doug

Doug,

A single mom would most definitely benefit from a small(er) to mid-size SUV and in a myriad of ways. Minivans are useful utilitarian vehicles, but nothing beats the toughness and longevity of a good SUV--and Chevy Blazers have been bullet-proof for many decades.

That 4.3 is a legendary six-banger engine that develops more than adequate horsepower for just about any job short of pulling heavy horse-trailers or boats and it doesn't beat you to financial death at the gas pumps. What's more, that vehicle design is inheritently and historically as safe as anything on the road, which is a good consideration for ANY parent hauling their kids around.

Don't know who or where the member is whose daughter could use this, but if you/him/they need info on transporting that vehicle from NC to wherever, let me know. I'm STILL getting a dozen phone calls a day from various transporters wanting to move that vehicle somewhere.

PB234
12-21-2016, 06:19 AM
I have been lurking but want to advise Sam to reconsider before it is too late. A group of people coming together to help him solve his problem was a miracle and Doug's offer apparently another Christmas time miracle. Yet another party offering help figuring out transportation a third miracle. You see many miracles in this world?

Living in a snowed in cabin would make for limited perspective leading to bad decisions. I can tell you this is not looking good. My father who lived through the depression literally counting pennies to survive would have said to go back to Doug and ask if he will still sell it to you and simultaneously figure out how and if you can get it shipped to you.

There is risk getting anything shipped and some risk buying a used car sight unseen especially on a limited budget. Doug appears to be a stand up guy and getting a used car from him as low a risk as can be had buying a used car.

I am an expert on understanding people and their deal making capabilities and tell you that you need to straighten up and gain perspective. I know that is easy for me to say and maybe impossible for you to do, but it is the unavoidable truth and to be done before the situtation gets worse.

You are in a cabin in a rural area snowed in because of recurring horrible weather and declining health unable to afford escape. How much worse does it need to get before you realize it is a life or death situtation and help is a long way away? People here extended a helping hand which you should not count on again. If you take Doug's offer I will contribute $100 to help pay for the window repair.

I am a total pro at understanding transaction dynamics which is largely understanding people's emotions and situations and can tell you to adjust your thinking while you have a chance. You may view this as a rude thing to say, but maybe you should just sit back and consider your realistic options deciding which of the imperfect choices is best. I don't know you at all. You are nothing to me, but I just offered to give you $100 if you buy Doug's truck because I think you have a chance, not without risk, to save your life before it gets completely unsolvable.

It reminds me of the time people here came together to help a guy move from Alaska to Texas. The guy literally shot himself in the foot.

44man
12-21-2016, 11:30 AM
Not so, to give up a 4 runner is not in my cards. Just seen the worst to buy, Some Rams, and Fords, chevy's in the mix. Cadillac Escalade was bad.
Carol and I have run 4 Runners for years with the least costs ever. But I do the work. I don't think we will own anything else.
Don't say "made in America". Almost every part is imported. China! I have a Samsung fridge-- made in MEXICO. I needed a carb for a Weed Wacker. Came from China.
Regulations keep our people out of work. What parts are in a Ford made here? Steel comes from China. Machines from China or Japan.
I remember my brother in law worked at Chevy. Got new presses and the maker was ground off. Made in Japan had to be removed. We could not build the tools because of regulations and taxes.
Buy a Ford with parts from India, China, Mexico and all third world counties.

square butte
12-21-2016, 11:35 AM
We are on our 4th 4Runner here. Have a 97 sitting in the drive way that has 237,000 on it and runs like it will get another 200K. I have been driving that one for just a bit over 20 years since new. We traded my wife's 2002 off for a new one last year. The 02 had 218 K on it. We are sold on them. Rust will get em though up here in the salted road country.

44man
12-21-2016, 12:26 PM
I ran with everything from Fords to Chevy. Even many Volkswagen. I worked at a Desoto, Plymouth dealer and WOW, what junk. Power like crazy but fix like crazy too.
I have owned two fords in my life. Chevy went soon. Jeeps are garbage. I found Toyota and will not go back. Friend got Honda's and is always fixing.

rockrat
12-21-2016, 12:47 PM
I have had one Ford, and that will be it. We have 3 Toyotas and if my Daughter hadn't just bought an Audi(??) two months ago, there is a nice little RAV4 down the road, with 8K miles on it (2012) that I would be talking her into buying

Thumbcocker
12-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Something like Dough's vehicle was what I have been hoping for as a potential solution. Older vehicle from a known source in good mechanical condition for a fair price.

Handloader109
12-21-2016, 09:42 PM
I stumbled on to this thread a few days ago. I have not contributed to the fund, so I'm a total outsider to this and as such, if anyone feels my comments are out of line, tell me and I won't be offended, but looking at this, I'll second what at least one other person had said, those who contributed, did so out of a generosity. But it as a gift and as such, it is now not your right to dictate how or when money is spent.

As the receiver, it is his responsibility to acknowledge the generosity and reply when spent and hopefully a good buy will occur.

But the receiver has really no responsibility to do what some or all of you think. It is his decision to make. I would say to Sam to withhold any more discussion until he buys whatever he does buy. Douguy needs to sell to the young woman if she wants his truck. and Sam should let everyone know things are good when they are good. And the rest of you pray for him to find a good vehicle....

fatelk
12-21-2016, 10:40 PM
I ran with everything from Fords to Chevy. Even many Volkswagen. I worked at a Desoto, Plymouth dealer and WOW, what junk. Power like crazy but fix like crazy too.
I have owned two fords in my life. Chevy went soon. Jeeps are garbage. I found Toyota and will not go back. Friend got Honda's and is always fixing.

I have nothing to contribute in regards to the deal drama, other than to say I hope it works out for the best and they find the right vehicle.

I just thought I'd chime in to agree with 44man about Toyotas. I love my 20 year old Tacoma 4wd. That old truck has been a rock. It's like the energizer bunny. Getting close to 200k miles and just getting good and broke in. Three times in the last few years complete strangers have knocked on the door and asked if my truck was for sale. I'm always tempted to ask them if they see a for sale sign somewhere that I don't, but instead I just politely smile and say no, that's my truck. I can say the same thing about my wife's Sienna minivan, at 250k+ miles. I'm all about buy American, but I just don't understand why the American car companies can't put out a vehicle with this kind of impressive reliability.

abunaitoo
12-21-2016, 11:11 PM
IMHO
Some think newer vehicles are better than older ones.
While newer ones get better millage, and have more power, older ones are easier to repair.
I'm hoping he's getting a standard trans.
Newer auto trans don't last long and are expensive to repair.
If it were me, I'd look for something from the 70's or 80's.
Not much computer control. Solid trans. Easy and cheaper to keep running.
Toyota 4-Runner, Nissan Pathfinder, Chevy Blazer, would be my choices.
Hope it all works out for the best.

MaryB
12-22-2016, 01:09 AM
Problem with going back to the 70's and 80's is they are considered classics now and cost a mint!

DougGuy
12-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Some of the northern states have done away with annual inspections, the salt eats them before they get broke in good!

In Japan, they have VERY strict pollution laws, cars can only put something like 60k on the motor, and then by law it has to be replaced. So if you need a Japan motor, they are now cheap and abundant if you know where to look!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-22-2016, 01:58 AM
SNIP...

In Japan, they have VERY strict pollution laws, cars can only put something like 60k on the motor, and then by law it has to be replaced. So if you need a Japan motor, they are now cheap and abundant if you know where to look!
60K ...That's just crazy
Around 2002, I bought a 1988 Honda Civic CRX with 190K, and that motor ran great, So smooth at a idle, you could put a champagne glass on the engine and it wouldn't budge. I fixed the rust and drove it 60K miles and then sold it to some kid in 2010, and I still see that car once in a while...it had the famous Y49 yellow paint (google CRX Y49 to see what I'm talking about).

fred2892
12-22-2016, 06:16 AM
60K ...That's just crazy
Around 2002, I bought a 1988 Honda Civic CRX with 190K, and that motor ran great, So smooth at a idle, you could put a champagne glass on the engine and it wouldn't budge. I fixed the rust and drove it 60K miles and then sold it to some kid in 2010, and I still see that car once in a while...it had the famous Y49 yellow paint (google CRX Y49 to see what I'm talking about).
You know by just mentioning that paint code you have just put a curse on everyone reading this thread [emoji3]

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Rick N Bama
12-22-2016, 06:21 AM
I've been driving Toyotas since '88. Never, I say again never had I had a problem that left me stranded on the side of a road. I've never had to take one in because of a mechanical issue, not a single time.

rbertalotto
12-22-2016, 08:39 AM
I would never ask anyone that I was involved in a contentious deal with to "fix" anything. I can't imagine he will be happy about it. There are thousands of good used vehicles out there.....Why the love for this particular one?

44man
12-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Best car I ever owned was a Datsun station wagon. Nothing would stop it, snow, mud and dragging the bottom. 2 wheel drive with perfect balance. Made a VW Bug look sick. Then it started to backfire and nobody could fix it. Blew the muffler wide open. But rust ate it up too. Nothing to drive 60 mph on black ice or plow through drifts.
None of those problems with Toyota but the 4 Runner must be put in 4 wheel if slippery. Carols is constant 4 wheel, 2003 with a V8 that will set you in the seat. My 2000 is a six and I put a cool air system on it. It ROARS! Only thing I hate with most new are timing belts. I was told up to $1300 to change mine with over 130,000 miles. I did it myself for $130. Including a special puller for the rusted on damper. Hardest part was the air conditioner to get out of the way.
My neighbor has many Honda engines on tools, snow blower, ATV to pressure washer. Always bad. Then they bought Honda SUV's and brakes drive them nuts. I can't count the disks he has replaced.

Electric88
12-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Best car I ever owned was a Datsun station wagon. Nothing would stop it, snow, mud and dragging the bottom. 2 wheel drive with perfect balance. Made a VW Bug look sick. Then it started to backfire and nobody could fix it. Blew the muffler wide open. But rust ate it up too. Nothing to drive 60 mph on black ice or plow through drifts.
None of those problems with Toyota but the 4 Runner must be put in 4 wheel if slippery. Carols is constant 4 wheel, 2003 with a V8 that will set you in the seat. My 2000 is a six and I put a cool air system on it. It ROARS! Only thing I hate with most new are timing belts. I was told up to $1300 to change mine with over 130,000 miles. I did it myself for $130. Including a special puller for the rusted on damper. Hardest part was the air conditioner to get out of the way.
My neighbor has many Honda engines on tools, snow blower, ATV to pressure washer. Always bad. Then they bought Honda SUV's and brakes drive them nuts. I can't count the disks he has replaced.

Good to know someone on here has plenty of experience with the 4runner. We just got one for my wife, so I'm hoping to make it last quite a long time. It seems like a great vehicle. It's a 2016 with the V6, we plan to lease and then buy out. Not the greatest financial decision, but one we could afford.

Makes me think about getting a Tundra when her payment is up. I need a good truck.

DougGuy
12-22-2016, 10:54 AM
What was bought as a Craigslist beater, something to drive locally to the store and work, etc, is turning into the best car I have owned. I say best not because of any one thing in particular, but overall cost and efficiency and being satisfied with how it drives and performs.

First off, here is how I try to price a daily driver. I take the cost of the vehicle, plus any repairs, and upkeep such as tires, batteries, even wiper blades, and I divide that figure with the number of years it has been in service, and my goal is to drive the car for a year for less than what most people would pay per monthly payment for a newer, nicer vehicle. I have done this my whole life, never bought a new vehicle, always went for the ones I could work on and the ones that looked like the best deal overall, red Blazer was seen as a very good opportunity and so far it has been great. A little TOO nice for me even....

This 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier Wagon was bought from Craigslist in 2010, with 82k original miles, salvage title so it had been totaled in the rear and fixed. Cost $1500. Tires $350 battery $125 wipers $25 intake gasket kit $35. Cost of ownership $2035.00 driven since October of 2010 = $391 per year. Not too shabby!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/94_Cavalier_Wagon1003001252.resized_zpsisgzy2se.jp g (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/94_Cavalier_Wagon1003001252.resized_zpsisgzy2se.jp g.html)

GM in it's wisdom put the beefier much quicker 3.1L V6 from the Z24 Cavalier in this one because of the heavier body, and it ZIPS in traffic! Very quick little car I was surprised! 0 to 60 with this motor, not getting on it not pushing it hard, will put a smile on my face every time.

Of course it had the notorious end seal oil leak at the intake manifold that these engines are known for, I popped the top half of the motor off and put the aluminum intake manifold on my vintage Craftsman 6" belt sander (YIKES!) and removed about .100" off the ends, so there would be about an eighth of an inch gap between the manifold ends and the block, laid a thick bead of silicone across this and let it set until barely tacky, reinstalled the manifold and it has never leaked another drop since. GMs design used silicone, but it was a layer SO thin that it couldn't maintain a seal and the stuff breaks down and leaks. All they had to do was put a bigger gap there and the factory seal would have never failed.

Oh yeah I almost forgot!! This one tagged a really nice yearling doe one morning, I tossed it in the back hatch and took it home where it promptly went into the freezer so hey not only has this been a GREAT little car, it has put BAMBI in the freezer as well!

(Yes, this car is the one that said BAMBI woke up about halfway home and started kicking and thrashing and trying to stand up, I'm going through this tiny little PODUNK town in North Carolina where the cop sits at the corner and shoots his radar gun down the street as the town's sole source of income, and I was PRAYING that nobody saw it and called them!) :bigsmyl2:

ole 5 hole group
12-22-2016, 11:15 AM
I don't know 44 man - must be something in the air where you reside. Terrible troubles with FA revolvers and Honda anything. Honda generators go forever and are as quiet as any generator on the market and more so than most.

Honda lawnmowers start on the 1st pull, are fairly quiet and run forever without repairs. Honda autos around my neck of the woods seem to run forever also and Civics get great gas mileage and the Accord will get you a speeding ticket if you don't use cruise control.

As with anything, you just need to properly care for your equipment if you expect it to give you great service over a long period of time.

I have a 95 Toyota Cruiser and an '01 Sequoia with over a half million miles combined on those two Toyota's and I expect to at least double/triple that mileage without any major repair on either - but I've always used a full synthetic oil, tranny fluid, bearing grease etc - I believe in full synthetics and my vehicles/equipment seem to like it too.

My grandkids run Honda Civics and Kia's and they all have 150,000+ miles and are running as good as new - synthetic fluids of course, cus I changed everything over.;)

jcwit
12-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Now there's a guy with a plan, DougGuy! One thing I do different is I usually buy used tires, my #1 source I use is http://www.bestusedtires.com/ excellence service, free shipping, and descriptions are always spot on! My theory is, if you buy a used car your tires are already used!! Also sometimes shop at salvage yards for tires and batteries. Never know what you might find. Got a set of tires for a van once from a new Ford truck "less than 500 miles on it" that had been t-boned by a semi. Sold me the tires for 415 bucks each mounted & balanced!

dverna
12-22-2016, 11:33 AM
Doug

I like the way you think. My last purchase was a "beater" truck with a plow. (A plow is almost a must have where I live - middle of nowhere in upper MI.) I have about $4500 into it after doing the U-joints, body work, heater, plow repairs, brakes, tires, etc . If it lasts 5 years I will have less than a grand a year into it and it will still be worth something.

The damn things runs so well I use it as my daily driver during the winter, I even use it in the fall and spring when the roads up here are thick with mud.

I will never buy another new car unless I win the lottery. My health does not allow me to do as much as I used to, but one of my buddies up here is a backyard mechanic so we can get some of the work done inexpensively. Buying parts on line we can get them for 50-70% of the cost locally at retailers. So even the repairs I need to take to the local shop are less expensive as they are willing to let me supply the parts.

Not everyone can work on vehicles, or knows someone who can, so it is not a great plan for everyone. I must admit I miss the vehicles of the 60's. So simple to work on compared to today.

Don Verna

jmort
12-22-2016, 11:39 AM
As for small engines, Honda is preferred by every contractor I ever met. I have bought many many small engines for concrete saws and plate compactors. Nothing comes close to the Honda small engines. I have also seen Honda cars provide amazing service. My 1997 F150 runs like a top in spite of its anemic 4.6 V-8. 2013 Ford Edge handles icy roads better than any vehicle I have driven and our 2012 Ford Explorer has be all around great. My wife wants and will get an Escalade which I would never get for me. I will stick with my 1997 F150. I hope it lasts a while longer.

OS OK
12-22-2016, 12:00 PM
183269When you are a truck guy...your a truck guy. I wonder why they ever invented cars? They don't get through the rough or carry your tools...kinda useless. But when they created the extra cab, it just couldn't get any better than that...well 4x4 goes without saying, part of the perfect ride.

When Niki, my daughter was just a kitten, her idea of a perfect ride was a black pickup with yellow flames on it. I still kid her about that.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-22-2016, 12:21 PM
SNIP...

This 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier Wagon was bought from Craigslist in 2010, with 82k original miles, salvage title so it had been totaled in the rear and fixed. Cost $1500. Tires $350 battery $125 wipers $25 intake gasket kit $35. Cost of ownership $2035.00 driven since October of 2010 = $391 per year. Not too shabby!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/94_Cavalier_Wagon1003001252.resized_zpsisgzy2se.jp g (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/94_Cavalier_Wagon1003001252.resized_zpsisgzy2se.jp g.html)

Doug,
I am jealous...I wish I had your talent and skills.
I too use the same philosophy of automotive expense, but I also inherited (from my late father, God rest his soul) a penchant to always want to drive something else...to try them all, so to speak. I've probably owned 25 to 30 different vehicles since 1981. My goal has been to spend $1000 per 10Kmi or per year to drive a vehicle, much of the time I come close, but sadly it's rare I spend less that $1000. I suspect that is due to my penchant to buy and sell.

Well, we all have the one story to brag about. Mine was in about 1987, I bought a 76 Plymouth Volare' with 65Kmi, from a friend of a friend for $600. To my luck, the previous owner had the talent of car care (and improvement) that you have, Doug. I drove that 10 year old, American made car for 3 years (about 25Kmi), and didn't even need to put tires on it, all I did was change oil and add Gas). The rust started getting bad and a bearing in the rear end started howling, So I sold it (for $250) to someone who was willing to fix it. That was some cheap driving.

I rarely keep a car for more than 4 years, sometimes I luck out and don't have to pay for expensive repairs, but many times a BIG fix is in the cards. Currently my 1971 Chev C20 camper special has an issue with severe rust on the trailing arms on the rear suspension...So I'm looking at selling it "as needing repairs" or spend about $1K to fix it...and who knows what other rusty surprises I'll uncover during that repair...adding to the bill.

AlaskaScott
12-22-2016, 01:50 PM
This truck started as a joke with a friend, but the I decided I liked the idea so I built it. Still one of my favorites

OS OK
12-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Awesome....looks like an Alaskan special. I can see all the gear stored inside with room for Buds and the heavy gear strapped down on the bed...looks perfect for Alaska.

jonp
12-22-2016, 06:23 PM
I dropped down to Doug's today to have him do some work on a Blackhawk Convertible 45lc/45acp (great work and an interesting time watching him do it in front of me. Very cool and he does good work for a reasonable price.) and I took a look at the Blazer and crawled under it. New motor with the receipt, body in great shape with no rust, interior in great shape, towing package with a Reese hitch, good Michelin tires should give a couple of years to someone, no rust under the vehicle or sign of hard off road use, the drivers side window doesn't work as he said but I didn't test it myself, cranked right up with a newer battery and ran with no hitches with the V6 sounding strong.

The vehicle is worth $3,000 or more imho although I'd have to drive it first to listen to the ball joints/steering/brakes etc. However, I have no doubt it is as sound as he says and I'd have no problem buying it. Keep in mind I'm a shade tree mechanic and this is just my opinion but it looks good to me.

DougGuy
12-22-2016, 06:47 PM
The vehicle is worth $3,000 or more imho although I'd have to drive it first to listen to the ball joints/steering/brakes etc. However, I have no doubt it is as sound as he says and I'd have no problem buying it. Keep in mind I'm a shade tree mechanic and this is just my opinion but it looks good to me.

Thanks for the post Jon. You wouldn't hear anything in the front end, the CV joints, or any of that, I tested it myself in both 2wd and 4wd modes, cut the wheels all the way and drove a circle, then did the same in reverse, could only hear tire tread on pavement which would be normal for turning a tight turn, and the brakes, you can drive it and let go of the wheel and hit the brake pedal hard as you want to and the steering wheel stays where you left it.

I have worked my way through the PMs that were sent on this vehicle, and it is currently for sale to whomever is interested and wants to come get it with cash in hand (preferrably).

shdwlkr
12-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Well I am a ford guy and that means a F250 diesel 4x4 crew cab and is 11 years old, got a 2013 vw jetta diesel that one day vw is taking back, so I went looking for a replacement and ended up with a gmc denali 4x4 2 years old and very low mileage and at a price I couldn't walk away from. You need to keep and open mind anymore when it comes to vehicles as no one company has the best anymore.

Deep Six
12-22-2016, 07:44 PM
I too believe in driving as cheaply as possible. My best yet was a 92 Ford Explorer purchased in 2003 with 76000 miles on it for $3100. I finally got sick of patching rust holes in the floor (stupid road salt) and sold it last spring for $700 with 331,000 miles on it. Do the math and you'll find I drove it 13 years and 255,000 miles for $2400. That's less than $0.01/mile. Obviously it needed tires/brakes/exhaust over the years but the only significant issue was replacing cracked cylinder heads because the PO mixed that GM dexcool **** antifreeze in with the standard stuff and turned the whole radiator to gum, causing the motor to overheat and the heads to crack.

I now have a very healthy respect for the Ford Rangers and identical early Explorers. Those pushrod 4.0s are great motors, especially with the manual trans like mine had. Unfortunately, Explorers got steadily worse as they moved them further and further from the proven Ranger platform.

jcwit
12-22-2016, 09:04 PM
It really surprises me that those of you who live in the rust belt do not use or have your vehicles sprayed with rust proofing oil.
https://www.krown.com/
https://corrosionfree.com/ To name but 2, I use corrosionfree, been rust free for years.

shoot-n-lead
12-22-2016, 09:05 PM
I have transitioned, over the years, to a Ford guy as I have had such great service from them. I have had all makes...the Fords have just been the best for me. However, I have seen many examples of all brands that have been stellar vehicles...so, I feel that a person has a lot of options when looking for a good vehicle...there are a lot of them around...and no brand is the best.

jonp
12-22-2016, 09:14 PM
It really surprises me that those of you who live in the rust belt do not use or have your vehicles sprayed with rust proofing oil. To name but 2, I use corrosionfree, been rust free for years.

Hot oil undercoating was pretty standard in my neck of the woods as was Ziebart.

MaryB
12-23-2016, 12:03 AM
Even with undercoating in MN road salt finds nooks and crannies and eats the bottom out, especially cars from the Twin Cities. My current pickup is a Twin Cities find, 143k on it and the body is going to fail long before the engine. In fact it needs a new bed now. I don't dare walk in the bed anymore...

It really surprises me that those of you who live in the rust belt do not use or have your vehicles sprayed with rust proofing oil. To name but 2, I use corrosion free, been rust free for years.

TXGunNut
12-23-2016, 12:22 AM
I'm a Ford guy but I don't mind saying those Blazers were some tough little trucks. Finding one in good condition is a good find. I have a new truck now but I kept the last one for over 19 years. It's hard to let an old Ford go, even when it likes breaking expensive parts on a regular basis.

jcwit
12-23-2016, 12:23 AM
Even with undercoating in MN road salt finds nooks and crannies and eats the bottom out, especially cars from the Twin Cities. My current pickup is a Twin Cities find, 143k on it and the body is going to fail long before the engine. In fact it needs a new bed now. I don't dare walk in the bed anymore...

Undercoating is not the answer. A spray on creaping oil is. Both products I posted links to were developed in Eastern Canada, and the one is used by their Military.

I know all about salt on the roads here in Northern Indiana, at present all paved roads are white with salt, MN is far from the only State using salt. If you have never experienced our conditions here don't jump to conclusions.

Again, undercoating is not the answer, the oil creaping, it creaps all summer long as well!

shoot-n-lead
12-23-2016, 12:34 AM
Honda is preferred by every contractor I ever met

Down here in my part of the south, Kawasaki, is king.

I have both, have not been able to discern which is better...they are both, great engines and Jap made.

A pause for the COZ
12-23-2016, 02:17 AM

Thats a good one Doug.
I used to drive beaters because I had too. Now I drive them because I would rather spend money on Guns and stuff.
Dumping cabbage into some thing that looses 20% of its value the 1st day you drive it. never has seemed money well spent.
I have pretty much settled on two types of beaters.
Dodge Mini vans. Mainly because they are so dang useful and parts are cheap and every were. UTube is full of how to fix ems.

And Old Saturns. Cheap to get, cheap to drive and super easy to work on.
Here is my latest beater. A 1992 Saturn sl2. I picked this one up from a on line State Surplus auction for $219.
I have put another $500 into it to get it just how I want it.
I bet I get 3 years of running and sell it for what I have in it. Then rinse and repeat.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/92Saturn%20sl2_zpsxfy30j3z.jpg

jonp
12-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Cheap is always good if you don't buy junk and are interested in doing the work yourself. Our 97 Honda CRV was bought 6yrs ago for $5500. Put a rebuilt transmission in it (operator error, don't ask), new suspension/tie rods/ball joints water pump and the usual spark plugs, wires etc. Along with oil changes and windshield wipers I figure we are still under $110/month on it. All the work I've done myself in the driveway with the parts coming from Rock Auto and Ebay. The Honda is striking me like my last Tacoma did, very easy to work on yourself with basic tools and a willingness to get dirty.

No_1
12-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Closed at OP's request.