PDA

View Full Version : 9MM casting question

jimlj
12-14-2016, 10:26 PM
I have been lurking around here for about a year. I've gathered most of what I need to start casting 9MM boolits.
I have heard and read about 9MM being hard to cast for, but have never seen what the problems actually are. Can someone enlighten me or point me to where I can find out what I'm in for? My only casting experience so far is for my 50 caliber smoke pole.

Beef15
12-14-2016, 10:50 PM
Kinda high pressure round, bore groove diameters run all over the place, chamber leades run all over the place, case walls taper internally.

Basically you need to slug your bore, size .001/2 over; make sure you expand the case adequately, and avoid seating so deep you swage the bullet with the case; use a quality lube and something harder than pure lead, COWW water dropped has done me fine.

It's not hard or tricky, it's just not .001 over published bore, any powder in the book, seated to published COAL easy.

Javater
12-14-2016, 10:51 PM
I am in the same boat but i am going to be casting soon. My suggestions is to read up and search for the caliber you are going to cast.
Also go to youtube and find videos from Fortunecookie45 to start. In this forum users find that Lee 356-120-TC has been one of the best 9mm mold. MP mold is best and can make HP, but little more difficult and expensive in comparison.

OS OK
12-14-2016, 11:01 PM
I used the search tool over there on your top right...the search term was...'9mm cast problems'.

About 7,420 results (0.34 seconds)

9MM Cast Bullets (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?124937-9MM-Cast-Bullets)

9mm cast bullets for about 20 years now with pretty good luck with most ... this board run lead through standard Glock barrels without problems.
castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?124937-9MM-Cast-Bullets

another 9mm leading problem [Archive] - Cast Boolits (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-274741.html)
I picked up a Lee 124 tl 6 gang mold and tried tumble lubing for a p95 . After a lot of leadingui gave up. Now I picked up a citadel 1911 9 mm I figured I'd try ...
castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-274741.html

Problems Casting 9mm Boolits - NEED HELP! [Archive] - Cast Boolits (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-312072.html)
Hey guys, I am having problems getting good Boolitsfrom my Lee 90457 6_CAVITY_356-125_2R Mold. I am using a Lee 4-20 pot with a PID ...
castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-312072.html

Problem with tumbling 9mm 147gr boolits [Archive] - Cast Boolits (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-103109.html)
I loaded up a bunch of 9mm 147 grain boolits (from Missouri Bullet Company) with Winchester standard pistol primers and 4.5 grains of Unique.
castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-103109.html

9mm KEYHOLE problem (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?211379-9mm-KEYHOLE-problem)

I loaded up my first cast loads for 9mm recently and tried them out the range at 10 yards. First I used my Kahr CW9 and after looking at the ...
castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?211379-9mm...problem

M&P 9mm problems with Lee 358-125-RF (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259410-M-amp-P-9mm-problems-with-Lee-358-125-RF)

I slugged my M&P 9mm barrel and it came out as .3565" so I bought a Lee .358- 125-RF mold and cast some bullets and sent them through a ...
castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?...M...9mm-problems...

Dillon expander die problem-yes, 9mm (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?160406-Dillon-expander-die-problem-yes-9mm)

It's the powder funnel that is too small-it's OK to bell the case mouth, but doesn't open up the case enough, and swages down my cast 9mm ...
castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?160406...problem...9mm

Hey there just started casting and having all sorts of problems (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?319027-Hey-there-just-started-casting-and-having-all-sorts-of-problems&p=3828377)

As the title says I started casting not too long ago.. Having issues with the boolit tumbling out of the gun.. Using lee mold 124 gr 9mm flatpoint ...
castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?...casting...problems...

Report on gas-check 9mm bullet...... (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?163762-Report-on-gas-check-9mm-bullet)

The cost and time for a jacketed bullet is worth it to me. If anyone else is having a problemwith their cast 9mm bullets, I recommend trying a ...
castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?163762...9mm-bullet

Anybody hand load 9mm Luger ? [Archive] - Cast Boolits (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-165710.html)
Shot out of a ruger sp101 and a s&w mp 9mm compact . i probably loaded a couple thousand of these all shot at 7 to 15 yrds no problems
castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-165710.html

rancher1913
12-14-2016, 11:11 PM
the problem is not with casting its with loading, if the boolit slides back into the case when it enters the barrel then you will have a potential over pressurization problem.

bstone5
12-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Loaded and shot several thousand cast bullets out of a Beretta Storm. The bullets are 125 grain from a Magmum mold used in an automated Master Caster. The bullets are powder coated and a home made cola can gas check is installed. The bullets will require a medium crimp to retain the position in the brass case. With the powder coat too much crimp will damage the powder coating.
A crimp level is tried on an empty case and the bullets pulled with the hammer type bullet puller.
If the powder coat is not damaged and the crimp will hold the bullet then the magnitude of crimp is set properly.

sigep1764
12-15-2016, 03:00 AM
Theres a sticky that everyone who loads cast in 9mm should read. Its near the top of the threads page. Slug the barrel, size 2 thousandths over the slug size, expand and bell the case large enough to not squeeze the boolit down to a smaller diameter, and seat with a crimp just tight enough to hold the boolit. Then do the plunk test. If you can drop the seated round into the chamber and spin the case, youre good to go. If it sticks in the chamber, seat the boolit deeper in the case. Be sure to pull the boolit and check the diameter after seating it. Start low on the powder charge and work it up, especially if you have to seat the boolit deeper than published data.

sigep1764
12-15-2016, 03:02 AM
If youre anywhere near St Louis, I'd be willing to lend a hand.

jimlj
12-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the help. Looks like I need to learn to use the search better, and I now have several pages of reading to do before I fire up the pot.

sigep1764, Thanks for the generous offer, but St Louis is a bit too far from Wyoming to go for the afternoon.

toallmy
12-15-2016, 09:07 AM
It's not hard or complicated just a few little details you need to work out , the sticky mentioned above will be a huge help . But when you get the 9 worked out it is a very fun , and economical round .

fredj338
12-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Casting for 9mm is easy. Getting them to shoot well can be am issue. It's all about proper size. I am running 0.357" in all my guns, seems to work fine. I was having some tumbling issues with a stock Glock bbl @ 0.356", bigger is better.

Ed_Shot
12-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Casting for 9mm is easy. Getting them to shoot well can be am issue. It's all about proper size. I am running 0.357" in all my guns, seems to work fine. I was having some tumbling issues with a stock Glock bbl @ 0.356", bigger is better.

Agree......finding the sweet spot for your boolit/powder combination of choice is the joy of reloading. I size to .358 for all 9MM's (CZ, Glock and BHP) and it works well for me.

Tazza
12-15-2016, 07:25 PM
I was going to say, casting them is easy, i don't know exactly how many i have done, but it has to be close on 250K

It can be a little tricky to work out what shape will work best in your gun, when you know the shape and size, then you get your mould. Mine love conicals, so i got a mould for it. Others like round nose as there is a linger bearing surface.

Some like heavier projectiles, some like light.

What gun are you going to use them in? Stock semi-autos generally like heavier projectiles, where open class ones like lighter ones moving faster. Revolvers seem to work with just about anything.

HeavyMetal
12-15-2016, 09:18 PM
I will suggest, as I have many times here, that you get a copy of Ken Waters pet loads with the suplamental this has the 9mm pet loads second write up in it and Ken goes into great detail about variations in both case length and case capacity playing hobb with accuracy.

Size for the bore is important with any cast boolit but case brand can be huge!

Most reloader start with 38 special or 45 act both of which are very forgiving in both load and case type, you can mix case's and never see a problem, not so with the 9mm!

The Lee 120 TC standard lube groove boolit will serve you well, stay away from tumble lube in the 9mm and segregate your case's by head stamp.

wv109323
12-15-2016, 09:59 PM
I will take a stab by telling you my experience and what I have learned.
The 9MM is a very old round. The tolerances for chambers,bores and ammo are all over the place. 9MM pistols are made all over the world and some countries do not observe SAAMI dimensions. Some Soviet bloc ammo exceeds SAAMI pressures.
My problem child was a CZ75B Omega. It shot jacketed bullets at .355" fine. I bought a Lee 124 TC mold and sized to .3565(i did not have a .356 sizing die). Immediate problems were bullets tumbling and after 20-30 rounds the slide would not return to battery.
I slugged the barrel and it was .3565 and had .006" freebore. Lead bullets big enough for the bore (.3577")hit the end of the chamber and shaved a slight amount of lead off the bullet diameter. This lead accumulated at the front of the chamber and soon a round would not chamber. I had to have the chamber reamed so a .3577" bullet could be chambered. I also had to buy a .358-125 FRN meant for a .38/.357 mag. so that I could cast a bullet large enough for the bore. The .356 mold would not do it.
The next problem was my Dillon powder funnel was not big enough for the larger lead bullet. The Dillon powder funnel/neck expander for the 9MM was .354" so I had problems with down sizing the bullet during seating. I had a larger neck expander made for the bullet. Now all is well. I had the make the bullet big enough for a large bore, ream the chamber and then expand my case necks not to down size the bullets.

sfcairborne
12-16-2016, 12:42 AM
Wv109323. ? who made your new expander / powder funnel for the Dillon? Ive got the same issue.
Thank you

GhostHawk
12-16-2016, 08:56 AM
In my case my problem child was a Hipoint C9 pistol. The carbines ran the 124 gr tc cast just fine, no issues.

The pistol, I got keyholing and shotgun patterns with everything cast. Tightened up some with jacketed.

Then I bought the same mold only in .358 vs .356.
No size, cast, lubed, and loaded. They were dropping between .359 and .360.

No keyholing, no patterns, accuracy was 50% better than jacketed.

Fit is KING. Everything else follows.

sigep1764
12-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Contact lathesmith, he made a funnel for my sdb.

jimlj
12-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks again for all the input. I haven't even plugged in my new Lee pot and have already learned a bunch about casting.

Tazza asked "What gun are you going to use them in?" Ruger SR9 and Taurus 709. I'm still undecided if I will keep the Taurus.

My Son gave me a Lee TL356-124-2R mold. From what I have read here it may not be the best choice? Anyone know what size this mold drops before sizing?

I'll slug the barrel on the SR9 to see what size Boolit I need. The Taurus is in Florida for repairs so I will have to wait till it gets back to slug it.

wv109323
12-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Mine cast .3565. I sized to the same dimension. I really was just running the bullets through the sizer to lube them.

tward
12-16-2016, 01:44 PM
I just got into 9mm reloading, I have been reloading for 50+ years but the 9mm is a whole different animal! I've used the Lee 105 gr SWC and the Lee 124gr rnfp. I took the first batch to the range and none of them would chamber. I redid them all and did the plunk test on all of them. Next up I had leading problems, the bbl was rough so sent for a replacement bbl from SCCY industries. I still had so leading so I ran some Berrys 115 gr plated bullets thru the bbl. I've done about 700 rds and that seemed to solve the leading problem. I've found a good taper crimp prevents bullet set back also you have to juggle bullet size with the amount that you expand the mouth and the bullet seating depth and the crimp. Once you get it all together you can just stick to the formula and crank out the reloads. Good luck, remember to plunk test and have fun. Tim:bigsmyl2:

Boolseye
12-16-2016, 11:11 PM
My Son gave me a Lee TL356-124-2R mold. From what I have read here it may not be the best choice? Anyone know what size this mold drops before sizing?

The mold will drop anywhere between .356" and .359", impossible to know since every mold's a little different. The bigger the better. If you get keyholing and leading while observing good loading practices, switch to the 356-120 TC standard lube groove and don't look back. My lee 9mm TL mold was a problem child, sold it long ago. Too bad, the boolits were nice to look at.

Fordcragar
12-16-2016, 11:26 PM
If you are slugging your barrel, aren't you in a sense developing bullets for one gun?

Lloyd Smale
12-17-2016, 05:59 AM
never found it any harder to deal with 9s as it is with any other handgun

GWM
12-17-2016, 01:08 PM
The array of 9mm guns are different in so many ways. Some are easy some are not.

The main problem seems to me to be that steep rifling made for jacketed bullets.

It is hard on the lead boolit trying to grip the rifling without shearing. The pressure curve is steep and chamber tolerances are very loose in some guns. The boolit needs to fit well to grip the rifling and to seal the bore. Gas blow by will cause leading. The nose profile should fit the throat and at the same time facilitate reliable cycling without deforming.

It seems to help a bit to use a heavier boolit to be able to use slower powder and a lower pressure spike while still having an adequate cycling impulse. Harder alloys and a gas check can help take the rifling.

Again this is not about all 9mm guns, some are less averse to lead but some are more demanding. There are different rifling and dimensions and if you have a difficult one you need to get to know it, so to be able to adapt the boolit to your gun.

trapper9260
12-17-2016, 08:45 PM
When I get a mold and want to use it in 9mm but also in 357/38spl I just get one for all 3 and that is work for me and just size the bullet for the 9 where it is needed.Also on of my 9 take cast that I use for my 357 I also need to use some of my dies for 357/38spl to finish to load the 9mm for that one gun.Like stated it depend on the gun of what it takes and go from there.

Jayhawkhuntclub
12-18-2016, 10:50 AM
I have heard and read about 9MM being hard to cast for...

Actually, 9mm is super easy to cast for. However it's f'n near impossible to get them to shoot with great accuracy.[smilie=b: At least that's my experience. Of course, it just depends on how accurate you want to be. I've cast and loaded for AR9s, 1911s and several polymer wonders. None of them met my expectations without a lot of work. I have developed loads that can average under 2" groups in my 1911 (20 yards) and under 3" with my M&Ps, which isn't horrible. But it isn't great either and it's not been easy. Never been this hard with other calibers I cast for. Good luck and be patient.

Shiloh
12-18-2016, 01:24 PM
I use a LEE 125 gr RF sized at .358. This boolit sits deeper in the case than the 125 gr. boolits for the 9mm. Work up loads accordingly.

Shiloh

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2016, 03:07 PM
had a Trojan 9mm that was the most accurate 1911 ive ever owned. I think you could charge it with sand and seat a rock and it would shoot one inch groups at 25 yards. Ill also say that I own 6 different black 9s right now. They aren't tack drivers but they shoot just as well as my black 40s and 45s.
Actually, 9mm is super easy to cast for. However it's f'n near impossible to get them to shoot with great accuracy.[smilie=b: At least that's my experience. Of course, it just depends on how accurate you want to be. I've cast and loaded for AR9s, 1911s and several polymer wonders. None of them met my expectations without a lot of work. I have developed loads that can average under 2" groups in my 1911 (20 yards) and under 3" with my M&Ps, which isn't horrible. But it isn't great either and it's not been easy. Never been this hard with other calibers I cast for. Good luck and be patient.

Phlier
12-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Wv109323. ? who made your new expander / powder funnel for the Dillon? Ive got the same issue.
Thank you

If you happen to be using a Dillon 1050, you can put a Lyman M-Die right after the powder drop station. You'll lose your Powder Cop, but you can put whatever expanding die you'd like in that station if the 9mm Dillon expander isn't large enough for your needs. Remember that on a 1050, the neck expanding is normally done at the primer swaging station; the powder drop station *only* does belling, not expanding.

Thanks again for all the input. I haven't even plugged in my new Lee pot and have already learned a bunch about casting.

Tazza asked "What gun are you going to use them in?" Ruger SR9 and Taurus 709. I'm still undecided if I will keep the Taurus.

I'll slug the barrel on the SR9 to see what size Boolit I need. The Taurus is in Florida for repairs so I will have to wait till it gets back to slug it.

I have that mold as well. The size of the bullet my mold drops varies widely. I get from .358 to .361. Concentricity is also an issue... it isn't uncommon to measure a bullet at .358, rotate the bullet 90 degrees, measure again and get .361. If you're looking to get a mold that you can shoot "as cast", you most likely won't get it with that Lee mold. On the bright side, I haven't had any problems with this bullet in both a S&W M&P CORE 9L and a CZ 75 SP-01. I resize them to .357 using a Lee push through sizing die, then tumble lube them with White Label 45/45/10 lube. I'm getting very good accuracy and zero malfunctions with the following load, which I'll put here *for reference only*... please don't assume that it'll work with your gun, or be safe with your gun.

Lee TL356-124-2R bullet
4.6grs CFE-Pistol
CCI Small Pistol Primer
1.125-1.130 OAL

There are a lot of threads here about guys having trouble with that mold, but it can be used successfully depending on the gun you're running it with.

And another vote for reading the following sticky for loading 9mm: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121737-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm If you read and follow the instructions in that thread, you will have the greatest chance of using your Lee mold successfully with your gun(s).