PDA

View Full Version : Carpet remnants.

45-70 Chevroner
12-13-2016, 08:38 PM
I think I may have put this on here before, but I know it has been a while. I came up with this about 30 years ago. I was having fits with a way to wipe the lube off the base of my boolits when reloading. I had some 1/4" nap carpeting left over from some carpeting I had done. I cut some pieces in 4" X 5" sizes, stappled one on the left side of my press. Then just wiped the base of the boolits using my left hand, some times I had to wipe them twice. It worked great. I then discovered that with a little mineral spirits it worked better, also It worked great on tumble lubed boolits to wipe the nose of the boolits to keep from having a build up in me seater die which caused deeper seating of the boolits. One little piece of carpet lasted for about 4 to 5 hundred boolits. Just be careful not to use too much mineral spirits, you don't want a wet base loaded on top of the powder. This method actually works great with out the spirits.

jonas302
12-13-2016, 09:07 PM
I have used that method maybe picked it up from you (; Works very well

wv109323
12-13-2016, 10:03 PM
I ran into a problem with carpet fibers in my reloading room so use some caution.
In my reloading room I have a remnant of carpet that I use as a "runner" on the floor in the high traffic areas.
I was loading .38 Spec. on a Star progressive using 3.5 gns. of WST powder. I loaded 300 rounds and went to finish up. On the Star the powder slide is operated with every stroke of the handle. So to seat the last bullet you need to caught the powder in a case so it will no be dropped onto the press. When I went to empty the case no powder. Luckily I load and box the ammo at the same time. I started pulling bullets from the last round to the first. 240 bullets later I found the point where the powder stopped being dispensed.
I was at a loss as to what happened. I could find no explanation as to why the powder was stopped from being dispensed. I eventually came to the conclusion that the WST powder was bridgeing in the powder drop tube and switched to Bullseye. Still not confident in my analysis of the problem I did one other thing. I bought a fine sifter and poured the WST through it. I was looking for a "clump" of powder that clogged up the powder hopper. I found a small carpet "fur ball" from the carpet remnant. I have no explanation as to how the piece of carpet got into the 4 lb. jug of powder. I may have dropped the lid and the carpet fragment clung to the lid and then into the jug. I have since loaded several hundred rounds of WST with no more problems.
Just a word of caution and Murphy is alive and well.

45-70 Chevroner
12-14-2016, 01:52 AM
wv109323.

I have been using a Dillon to load for as long as I have been using the carpet wipes and no problems. My floor in my reloading room is cement. I would be very suspicious of the carpet in your reloading room.

wv109323
12-14-2016, 10:32 PM
The remnant is just cut on the edges and "sheds" over time. Apparently I dropped the lid and it picked up some fabric that ended up in the powder. First, I poured the powder out in a pan looking for lumps or foreign matter. I missed the carpet fabric until I got a fine mesh screen to pour it through.
I also ran into another problem along these lines. I bought a 8 lb. jug of Bullseye and used a 1 lb. bottle to keep a small amount of the powder in as I used it. I thought the less I opened the 8 lb. jug the better the powder would keep. That caused the lid on the 1 lb. bottle to be used more. The seal which is like a Styrofoam disc was cut between the bottle and cap. A sliver of the seal about 1/8" wide and 3/8" long got into the powder. That also stopped the flow in the Star powder hopper. The hole in the bottom of the Star powder hopper is about 5/16-3/8" diameter.
Like I said,Murphy lives next door to me.

45-70 Chevroner
12-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Murphy is not a nice person.