PDA

View Full Version : Got a Knight LK 93 for dad

FergusonTO35
12-13-2016, 12:20 AM
Was at a pawn shop today and they had a Knight LK 93 muzzleloader on the rack. Other than a broken front sight it was in excellent condition. Bore was quite shiny with well defined rifling, a rarity among pawn shop muzzleloaders. It was marked at $100.00, we struck a deal for $85.00. My dad has been needing a new front stuffer so I figure this will be a nice Christmas gift. Already ordered a set of Truglo sights for it.

What can you tell me about these guns? I used to know a guy that had one, it was a good shooter and very dependable even with Pyrodex and regular caps. The rifle is a .50 caliber, I assume it has a 1:28 twist.

12-13-2016, 12:40 AM
I had one. Now it's my son's. Fantastic rifle and your Dad will be tickled. Mine shot everything well. Just have to shoot your's to see what it likes. I did do better with loose powder. Shot all the commercial power belts / shock waves / saboted pistol bullets very well. As in all my ML's, the T/C maxi-ball did well, better than the maxi-hunter. Seems I used around 80 grains of FFg for everything (plus or minus a few). Again, as I remember, I used a lubed felt wad under the boolit for better accuracy. They are all different to some degree. Just have to see what it likes. Well done.

Gofaaast
12-13-2016, 01:01 AM
I have a 54. I converted it to 209 primer ignition (so I could ignite bh209) and with blackhorn 209 powder and saboted bullets it is insanely accurate. It shot well also with pyro, but who wants that mess. It printed 2" groups with a p&b before I changed the ignition source.

FergusonTO35
12-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks. I'm going to give Dad some of my Lee REAL boolits to try with it. Also a can of Triple 7 so that it wil never suffer the indignity of Pyrodex.

FergusonTO35
12-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Also, if anyone has a Knight breech plug tool for these older rifles to sell give me a holler. Knight wants $40.00 for it, Snap On would be cheaper if they made such a thing!

FergusonTO35
12-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Rather than worry about an expensive breech plug tool I just went ahead and ordered the current hex head breech plug, $20.00 from Knight.

FergusonTO35
12-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Got the new style breech plug and installed it last night. I used a small punch to gently tap the old breech plug out, fortunately the previous owner kept anti-seize compound on it so the plug came out no problem. Also discovered the rifle was still loaded with two pellets and a sabot. I'm not really surprised given how many hunters will leave the gun loaded all season long. It shows that you should always assume a used muzzleloader is loaded until proven otherwise, of course always handling it as if it is loaded.

12-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Good for you on the safe handling of your new firearm. Never lose respect for it's power.

Squeeze
12-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Thats a lot more common than most would think. Ive had em mailed to me loaded...:???:

FergusonTO35
12-22-2016, 09:19 AM
We inherited a TC Renegade from my wife's grandfather. I had a suspicion it was still loaded as the old guy was awfully forgetful. I poured a bit of powder under the nipple and capped it. Set up a piece of wire to pull the trigger with the rifle resting in a safe direction while I hid behind a tree. Pulled the wire and BOOM!!, went off like I had just loaded it.

FergusonTO35
12-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Gave the rifle to Dad last night and he really likes it. Hopefully this will encourage him to go hunting more.