PDA

View Full Version : Just not into it

Patrick L
12-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, I don't know what's up with me. I'm just not into casting this year. Typically, I start casting in the fall and go thru January or so, and amass my stockpile for the upcoming year. Its almost Christmas and I haven't even fired up the pot yet. I haven't even posted here on the forum much since the summer.

Mid life crisis?

35 shooter
12-12-2016, 10:52 PM
I need to get back on the ball myself. I've done a bit of spot casting lately with a few new moulds, but need to do some major casting to stock up a bit.

Middle of hunting season here, so that's had me side tracked too.
You'll probably get back to it before long...sometimes you have to get low on stock to get motivated again.

Bzcraig
12-12-2016, 11:12 PM
You need to seek professional help! :drinks:

runfiverun
12-13-2016, 12:27 AM
it ain't costing nuthin to sit there.
I cycle through casting and lubing and loading and shooting.
and sometimes none of the above.

occasionally you just need a new gun.

beagle
12-13-2016, 12:39 AM
Think we all go through those dry spells. Maybe when we get out to shoot the Christmas guns (as Jeff Foxworthy says) you'll get the urge and need to cast more. Right now, a raging cold and cold weather in my shop is holding me back. The urge is upon me./beagle

randyrat
12-13-2016, 01:05 AM
Your sick, get help, life is short. You just need some sunshine.

Strtspdlx
12-13-2016, 08:29 AM
I hear you. This time last year I was casting a 20lb pot a day to stock pile. This year I've done two pots and they've all been 38special/357mag. I don't own one yet. Hopefully soon

floydboy
12-13-2016, 09:19 AM
I know the feeling. Personal family issues have kept me very busy since last Holiday season. I haven't cast a boolit all year. Haven't shot much either. I have wanted a 20 Practical for a few years. Back in the summer I got the opportunity to build one. Had to force myself to complete it and get a load worked up. I haven't shot it since. About a month later I stumbled on a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I did the same thing with it. Now busy with the Holidays. I just have no desire to go to the bench. I don't worry about it as I know this to shall pass and look forward to the time when I will again enjoy my hobby. Life has a way of directing our lives sometimes. Usually it's for the better.

Floyd

jimb16
12-13-2016, 02:20 PM
I haven't done anything recently myself. But then, I'm waiting for the delivery of a new NOE mold and the last parts so I can build a new AR15. Plus this coming weekend is the last couple days of deer gun season. I just don't feel like doing anything until....

Walter Laich
12-13-2016, 06:01 PM
I look on casting as mostly a fun activity and when the fun takes a holiday I find something else to enjoy.

While we save money casting none of us are going to become millionaires doing it, hence there has to be more and fun is what I find in turning lead into gold (no, wait...bullets, yea...bullets)

dverna
12-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Casting is NOT FUN!! The only reason I do it is to save money. For me it is a bit like cutting the grass. I can cut it myself or pay $50 to get it done. I can cast bullets or buy them if I want to shoot.

I did not cast for years because I would rather buy bullets than "waste" what little free time I had casting. My "thing" was/is shooting.

Now that I am retired things have changed. Your situation may change too.

Keep your stuff. If you start shooting a lot, or you need to save money, casting will make sense again

Don Verna

KYCaster
12-13-2016, 06:26 PM
occasionally you just need a new gun.

What he said! :drinks:

Jerry

deepwater
12-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Interests, and emotions, can cycle or change at random. I would not be concerned about it...."let it go".
One day you will decide to cast and have fun. Or not.

Psychiatric advice - $00.05, or will trade for used bullet casting equipment and supplies.

deepwater

jeepyj
12-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Like any hobby there are hills and valleys. Some years I seem to really enjoy casting other years I seem to enjoy the testing and load development. This year I seem to be into casting / loading from past testing but more into shop improvemnt to make the entire experience more enjoyable.
One thing that we do that seems to be fun is get together one night a week. We happen to coordernate it when the Boston Bruins play hockey. Just an good way to have a lot of fun and get caught up with others with their ideas.
jeepyj

9.3X62AL
12-13-2016, 07:30 PM
What Jeep said. I don't have to deal with the depth of cold that much of the USA and Canada put up with, but it has been 2-1/2 years since I heated up the casting furnace. Granted--when I did, I produced enough bullets to last a while. I'm still using from that warehouse, too. Getting out to shoot is the biggest hurdle--in that respect, I REALLY miss living in Ridgecrest.

Hickory
12-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Once I went almost two years without casting anything.
Mostly because it took me that long to shoot up the boolits I'd cast previously.
It's good to take a break once in a while.

Iowa Fox
12-13-2016, 07:48 PM
I didn't get to do much of anything I wanted to this year. I did make it out to Wyoming were we kept the air full of lead but the rest of the year was day after day of work.

Dave C.
12-13-2016, 08:23 PM
I don't shoot as much as I would like because most of the guys I shot with are dead, too sick to shoot or in jail.

sghart3578
12-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Mine goes in cycles too.

I have enough bullets cast, sized and lubed to last for a long time. I have a ton of powder and primers also. Knee deep in brass.

What I have discovered is that I love the "chase" as much as the "capture".

Whenever I get a new rifle I read, research, research some more, then I buy a mold or two for it. I then work up a load and when I find it I seem to put that one away and look for another project. I bought a Siamese action from a member here and after Christmas that will become a new focus for me.

And also my stash of bullets doesn't go down as fast now that my kids are grown.

Don't worry, you'll shake it off.

The_Hammer
12-13-2016, 09:42 PM
It's been over a year since I've cast any 45acp rounds. I'm gearing up again though because I'm almost done with an 8" 300Blk AR upper for my SBR lower.

Patrick L
12-14-2016, 11:47 PM
And its taken me 2 days just to get back and check for replies!

Casting is still fun, and I've been shooting plenty. Just not into my usual casting cycle. Maybe because I've laid in a decent supply.

Not visiting here is more puzzling. I used to love posting about my latest project, or replying to what others were up to. I'd pop in several times a day. My join date is 2005, so I've been here awhile. Just don't feel like taking the time to type a post.

Hopefully this is just a phase, like many have suggested.