PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Roost Slim bullet

El Oso
11-02-2005, 02:02 AM
Leverfan, I have seen the P.R.S. bullet mentioned and even sent a letter to LEE about getting one of these molds. LEE told me to contact him directly about getting one but didn't tell me how to get ahold of him. Do you happen to have a adress for him? watch you six
El Oso

Scrounger
11-02-2005, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=El Oso]Leverfan, I have seen the P.R.S. bullet mentioned and even sent a letter to LEE about getting one of these molds. LEE told me to contact him directly about getting one but didn't tell me how to get ahold of him. Do you happen to have a adress for him? watch you six

Slim used to be a poster with this group but I don't think he made the jump to this site. So going back to the old site, I located an email address for him. It MAY or MAY NOT still be good. Don't cost anything to try it:

Mullins_v@msn.com

West Creek
11-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey Oso

The pigeon Roost slim boolit is a 45 caliber boolit that is a marriage between a RNFP and the Maxiball used in muzzle loaders. Basically it's a RNFP with a nice big meplat - bigger than the primers - with a grease groove the same as you will find on the maxiball. The crimp groove is also set so the loaded round will function nicely through a toggle link levergun. 1.575 I believe - been a while since I messed with it.

I have one I might be talked out of. Was going to go all black powder fer CAS shootin but just aint found the time ta doit and with a new house in the works and a new job it aint somethin I recon I'd git around to in the near future.

Give me a hollar if'n yer interested

grumble
11-02-2005, 11:57 AM
If you google "Pigeon Roost Slim" (including the quotes), you'll get quite a few hits. Someone on one of the boards he frequents should be able to help you get in touch.

leverfan
11-02-2005, 03:06 PM
You can buy ready-made bullets from guys on ebay, post a want ad on the SASS wire classifieds, or contact the guy that actually sells the moulds. Dick Rhody, aka Dick Dastardly, handles all the special orders with Lee for big lube custom bullet moulds.

Dick Rhody
1506 Clarmar Drive
Sun Prairie, WI 53590

608 837-8282
rrhody@spwl.net

Dick ordered extra Pigeon Roost Slim bullet moulds, and last I heard, he had some in stock. He's offering about 9 custom moulds from Lee, all big lube designs, and some other goodies, too. The moulds run $77 right now, which is much cheaper than ordering your own custom mould from Lee.

Nrut
11-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Does anyone have a picture or drawing of this boolit??...what is its main application???....(to shoot does'nt count)....thanks ...mic

West Creek
11-02-2005, 06:41 PM
the Pigeon Roost boolit was designed to solve the problem of insufficient lube carried by 45 caliber boolits for shooting black powder in rifles and CAS. CAS will shoot long strings of boolits over a day of shooting. Long and short of it is - the pigeon roost bullet carries alot of lube to help keep the fowling soft in your rifle for alot of shooting all day in CAS competetions.

Also it has a big meplat to prevent detonating primers in a magazine tube. The 454190 has been labeled as having too small of a meplat to prevent detonating primers in the tubular magazine of leverguns. AND since most all other 45 bullets carry a single lube groove designed for smokless powder application the PRS 45 250 was born. Although the 454190 has two grease grooves for black powder application many folks are concerned with using it in a levergun because of the small meplat

Nrut
11-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks West Creek...

Goatlips
11-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Nrut,

I have a picture of all the "Big Lube" boolits, but don't know how to include it in a post. P'raps I could email it to someone who knows how and would do it, but I'll need an email addy. Great cowboy BP boolits!

Let me give this a try....

342678%3A723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D963%3D949%3 DXROQDF%3E23235449%3A4%3B35ot1lsi

Goatlips

Goatlips
11-03-2005, 12:55 AM
Well, that didn't work but this link will:

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=15.0

The Snakebite .38 is 158 gr, and was designed to be loaded in a .38 case to the length of a .357, to feed properly in a Marlin (or other) lever action rifle. It holds twice the lube of an RCBS 'cowboy' .38, and produces a nice lube star held in high regard by us Soot Lords.

Goatlips

El Oso
11-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Hey West Creek, thanks for answering my post. I would be interested in the
mold but things are kinda tight right now,I'll probably have to wait till after
Christmas.Black powder is a hoot at cowboy shoots,I picked up some brass
12ga. hulls and you let loose with them on a still day and the targets vanish.
watch your six
El Oso

West Creek
11-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Hey Oso

Just git hold of me then - I javenet figgered on gitten rid of it like I was lookin fer it but if it went to a good home I'd let it go.

Yep - them shotguns make plenty of smoke -I load all my shotgun fer cowboy with black. It's a hoot and the shotgun is easy to clean especially after you get the barrel s seasoned with ballistol. Lots of fun - I've been known to slip a black powder shell into a fellers bag unsuspecting on occasion.

I just shoot my other irons too often ta deal with cleaning them all the time. I ussually have to sneak off fer a short spell todo a little plinking or target shooting anf often dont have time to clean my irons fer a few days so I havent been too diligent about getting into it fer me cotridge guns. Blank is actually easier to clean than smokless but ya just needs ta be diligent about it - hense my lack of effort

Springfield
11-03-2005, 02:28 PM
I have a pic of most of the Big Lube Bullets on my website. www.whyteleatherworks.com , look under accessories. I use the PRS sometimes, but mostly I use the MAV 44-40 bullet. :lovebooli