PDA

View Full Version : Martini enfield

Mgvande
12-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Has anyone here hunted with an old martini? If so how did it go?

Mgvande
12-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Ok I will do it next year.

elk hunter
12-13-2016, 10:46 AM
I tried to hunt Mule Deer with one a few years ago but when I jumped some deer by the time I fumbled around and got the rifle loaded they were out of sight. I may try again some day. Next year I'm planning on using my copy of a J.P. Gemmer Hawken Trapdoor in 45-70, I can carry it loaded on half cock which I couldn't do with the Martini.

Mgvande
12-13-2016, 03:01 PM
I was thinking the martini would be fine for sitting against a tree and rattling. Then you can have it loaded with less risk. I shot a deer this way this year with an antique with no safety. Not good for walking in the bush though.

richhodg66
12-13-2016, 03:49 PM
I've contemplated getting a Martini for a long time. I hunt mostly from tree stands or blinds, I'd just keep the lever down until time to shoot and then close the action when it was time to shoot. In fact, hunting with a sidelock muzzle loader, I usually sat with it cocked and my thumb under the hammer so all I'd have to do is set the set trigger if I was on a tree stand. Never had a problem.

Mgvande
12-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Ok it's happening. I have all the mag tech brass for my snider just have to buy some dies. Hunting with these old guns has sort of made hunting more interesting and actually made it 'hunting'