PDA

View Full Version : A Hero died today

scarry scarney
12-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Fox News

John Glenn passed away today at the age of 95.

I remember as a kid, going to a ticker tape parade to honor him back in 62 for his first flight. My his last one be Godspeed to the Kingdom of Heaven.

Powder Burn
12-08-2016, 04:40 PM
A real hero. I can remember listening to the 1st launch/orbit on my transistor radio while working as a Safety Patrol Boy.

DoubleAdobe
12-08-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm with you guys, and furthermore, doesn't John Glenn look a heck of a lot like Roy Rogers?
I have thought so since, well forever. And I am 60 now.
John Glenn, Marine, flyer, war hero, astronaut, iconic politician. What else is there to be as an American hero?
Fellers like John Glenn are few and far between, and I am happy I got to know him, even though it was vicariously.

Artful
12-08-2016, 05:45 PM
R.I.P. - you earned it Col. Glenn (Ret.)

marlin39a
12-08-2016, 06:40 PM
A true patriot. I remember his first flights. What a life!

edler7
12-08-2016, 07:53 PM
I was saddened to hear my boyhood hero died today.

R.I.P Colonel

BrassMagnet
12-08-2016, 11:07 PM
I tend to remember the Keating Five and how they cost Americans by blocking investigation of the Savings & Loan scandal long enough to let the losses become truly huge.
John Glenn was a leader in the gun control movement.

I consider any enemy of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as an enemy of the United States of America.
He was a hero, but his later actions made me lose all respect for him.

Honorable and Faithful service and no bad conduct since is my standard.

cabezaverde
12-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Didn't know about the Keating Five but I did know he was anti-gun.

kenyerian
12-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Great astronaut, Lousy politician. I voted against him every election.

BrassMagnet
12-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Didn't know about the Keating Five but I did know he was anti-gun.

Another thing I remember about him and the other members of the Keating Five (Alan Cranston (Democrat of California), Dennis DeConcini (Democrat of Arizona), John Glenn (Democrat of Ohio), John McCain (Republican of Arizona), and Donald W. Riegle, Jr. (Democrat of Michigan) was how when one of them received bad press, one of the others would introduce more anti-gun legislation to draw everyone's attention away from it.

BrassMagnet
12-09-2016, 01:23 PM
A brief description of the Keating Five scandal (with lots of help on details from Wikipedia!).

Five United States Senators (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate) received donations totaling $1.3 million from Charles H. Keating, Jr, improperly intervened in the 1987 investigation of Lincoln Savings and Loan Association (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Savings_and_Loan_Association) by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Home_Loan_Bank_Board) (FHLBB) delaying the bankruptcy until 1989 at a cost of over $3 billion to the federal government and defrauding 23,000 investors, costing many of them their life savings.

shooterg
12-09-2016, 03:04 PM
As a kid, loved the space program. The US should pretty much OWN space, now we have to hitch rides. Glenn was a real deal Marine and a great astronaut, but that bump on the head and concussion that canceled his first political race musta scrambled something - he was about as progressive as any other Democrat today and anti-gun to boot.

flint45
12-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Sorry anti gun cancels everyting for me not my kind of hero.