PDA

View Full Version : Slugging a barrel

DuncaninFrance
06-19-2008, 11:10 AM
I have read a fair bit about slugging recently and wondered if it were possible / worth using wax as a slug instead of lead as I only have .375 & .457 round ball moulds and I want to slugg a .303 Enfield and an 8mm Mauser.:confused:

45 2.1
06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
If your going to slug, you need accurate results you can measure without the material mushing. It is more important to measure the case neck/throat/rifling origin area than any place else. That can be done with a heavy for caliber boolit via impact slugging. Your RBs could be reduced in diameter with a hammer or between a couple of steel plates for this use also.

bruce drake
06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Duncan,

Puchase a few fishing sinkers of close to .312 and .323 diameter and use those as they are soft lead and should be able to swage down to give you an accurate reading.

Bruce

Lead melter
06-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Would it be possible to plug the bore with aluminum foil and then use a ladle to pour melted lead in the bore to get a "cast" of the barrel then drive the slug out?
Don't know if it will work, but be darn sure to well lubricate the bore first. Just a thought, what think ye o gurus?

DuncaninFrance
06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Fishing sinkers seem like a good option. Wioll have a look around and see what I can find. Will keep you posted :)

leftiye
06-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Lead shrinks when it is poured and allowed to cool. Nuff said? (what you got from casting a bore wouldn't be bore size, and would be wrinkled unless the barrel was at 350 degrees - not good! - when the cast was made. It might well solder into the bore too). Better to use cerrosafe. It has to be measured at cast plus 30 minutes to be accurate though. Oil the bore lightly, or this will stick too.

chrisx1
06-19-2008, 06:54 PM
another easy way is to drill a partial hole slightly oversize in a scrap of hardwood to make a "temporary mold". After the lead cools, use a chisel to break the "mold" apart.

runfiverun
06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
even an old piece of scrap pine will hold lead for a pour or two.
i made a mold for a cannon once out of pine it charred it but worked well enough
to get started.
for a 312 slug a 5/16 drill bit will get you there.
just expanding on what chris said.

Lead melter
06-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Lead shrinks when it is poured and allowed to cool. Nuff said? (what you got from casting a bore wouldn't be bore size, and would be wrinkled unless the barrel was at 350 degrees - not good! - when the cast was made. It might well solder into the bore too). Better to use cerrosafe. It has to be measured at cast plus 30 minutes to be accurate though. Oil the bore lightly, or this will stick too.

:roll: Thanks for catching this one leftiye. This is what happens when I get about 20 hours sleep and 60 hours work. Good to have you guys watching my back.:-D

DuncaninFrance
06-20-2008, 03:30 AM
Wooden mould is a good idea, I will try that one guys - thanks:drinks: