PDA

View Full Version : Oops

krag35
11-01-2005, 08:06 PM
I bought 4 8 oz cans of SR 7625 today at the local "Mart" store.

Now the rest of the story;

Several years ago I bought 3 cans each of IMR PB and SR7625. I put them in larger containers to save space, clearly marked, or so I thought. I brought the 4 cans of SR 7625 home this evening, and dumped them in the bigger container of IMR PB. Dumb dumb dumb! That's to much powder to throw away. Here's my thought, I mix the rest of the SR 7625 with the contaminated powder, mix well, and use Unique starter loads. this will only be used in 38 special, 44 special, and 45 ACP. I'm not looking for someone to OK this idea, just check my thinking based on the burn rate chart.
krag35

felix
11-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Burn rate is not the problem because the two speeds are not too far apart, and both are single base powders. You are lucky. The problem might be specific gravity. Check this out by through, gentle mixing, and then throwing 50 charges, say 8 grains each, to emulate a 44 mag medium load. You should end up with 400 grains. Make sure you use the measure as if you would for your cases. ... felix

PatMarlin
11-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Don't feel to bad. I dropped some Red Dot in the Blue Dot, can. I'm going to chuck it.

I cut manilla file folders in peices to make labels that I chuck in the hopper of powder measures., etc. so there is no question of what kind of powder I'm using, or used weeks past.

I also put them in containers of brass, bullets, etc. to log what they are.

Now if I read the label correctly when I put powder back, I'll be OK.. :roll:

krag35
11-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Pat, thanks for the kind words :-)

Felix, I tried what you said, only I only threw 25 charges of 8 grains, but I did it twice. came out withing 2 grains both times.

I'm home today (DR. orders) I set up my RCBS piggyback, had forgotten what a chore that thing is to use, but it's still faster than loading pistol cases in a single stage press. Loading 44 special cases for a friend who seems to supply me with empty brass on a regular basis :-) Still not real sure about that mixed powder, so I checked IMR's website, and found their max for a 240 grain bullet, was 5.7 gr of PB and 6.2 gr. for SR7625. I figured 5.0 would be safe enough since I'm loading 214 gr Lee round noses. Besides, He's shooting these in a snubby Rossi 5 shooter. I checked every 5th case for powder charge thru the first 100, and it didn't vary by even 1 line on the scale. I figure it's good enough to use, Lord knows I got enough of it now :-)

Going to use this Hybred powder in my 38 special wadcutter loads. At 3.0 gr. it ought to last a long time :-) Lemons, into Lemonaide.

thanks to all

krag35

PatMarlin
11-02-2005, 07:21 PM
I hear ya on that piggyback RCBS.

I bought a Dillon 550B and was a very good investment. It reloads most rifle cartridges just as well as a single stage press also, most of the time. A great peice of equipment, and built hell for stout too. :Fire: :veryconfu

krag35
11-02-2005, 07:50 PM
I reckon I can HiJack my own thread :-)

I was going to post about turrent press'. 45nut has been cheerleading me to get a Dillon 550B for some time now. I load mostly small batches of rifle ammo, and am concerned about change over time. I'm thinking a turrent press with an extra head or two would do fine for the rifle ammo I load (223, 30/06, 30/40, 30/30, 444, 8MM). I do go thru a good bit of 45 ACP and my Boy likes to shoot my 38 by the ammo can full. Am wondering if it's worth buying a 550B just for 38's 45's and 44 mag's. My piggyback works, but it is a rather deliberate machine. I need to go look at Dillon's stuff again.

krag35