PDA

View Full Version : Any snow up north?

bearcove
12-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Canada and Alaska is north the way I figure.

Reverend Al
12-07-2016, 11:48 PM
We've got snow up here in Victoria, B.C. with more predicted for the next 3 or 4 days too ... and we seldom get any snow ...

:-(

starmac
12-07-2016, 11:53 PM
We finally have about a foot on the ground, but sure need more.

bearcove
12-08-2016, 12:43 AM
only a foot , did you get much rain before or has it been dry.

starmac
12-08-2016, 01:19 AM
We had rain all summer, but dry since freezeup. We just finally got the last 8 t0 9 inches of snow last week, the ground has been pretty bare till now.

trmungle
12-08-2016, 01:29 AM
We got about 12 inches last night in Juneau

bearcove
12-08-2016, 01:33 AM
has it been warm this fall?

starmac
12-08-2016, 01:36 AM
We have had some fairly warm weather but below freezing finally started getting down to around 20 below a week or so ago.

Cariboo
12-08-2016, 03:25 AM
About 4" of snow here and -22 out (about -7 f)

jeepyj
12-08-2016, 07:03 AM
We have a couple inches on the ground as of this week but the say they are snowmobiling in the northern part of state with around 12 inches. Our ski areas have also opened as well. All that said, up untill this week it has been a very mild climate for us.

Lloyd Smale
12-08-2016, 07:06 AM
you've obviously never been to Northern Michigan Wisconson or Minnesota. All get every bit as much snow as a lot of Canada does. Where I live on lake superior we get lake effect snow probably 3 times a week in the winter and probably get more snow then a lot of places in Canada and Alaska. We average a 170 inches a year in my county and some neighboring countys get twice that. As a matter of fact it just started snowing outside. there calling for 6-12 inches today. Luckily I live down south where that small amount is just another winter day in Northern Michigan.
Canada and Alaska is north the way I figure.

Red River Rick
12-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Had almost 16" dumped on us in the past few days................Arizona is looking better every year!

RRR

bearcove
12-08-2016, 11:08 AM
you've obviously never been to Northern Michigan Wisconson or Minnesota. All get every bit as much snow as a lot of Canada does. Where I live on lake superior we get lake effect snow probably 3 times a week in the winter and probably get more snow then a lot of places in Canada and Alaska. We average a 170 inches a year in my county and some neighboring countys get twice that. As a matter of fact it just started snowing outside. there calling for 6-12 inches today. Luckily I live down south where that small amount is just another winter day in Northern Michigan.

Yeah I been there. Was interested in a different place

shdwlkr
12-08-2016, 12:15 PM
The mountains of Idaho see some real snow and yes we are so very thankful they do as it is our water for next summer.

HABCAN
12-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Unusually wet Fall has not helped the harvest: some is still standing in the fields but NOW we've had about 2" snow that's stayed and temps have dropped to -10*F with another skiff overnight. Typical for this area at last. It's unusual here to get a deep snowfall but local 'agriculturalists' always welcome 'the moisture'. "Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes!"

blackthorn
12-08-2016, 12:55 PM
I am about 2 hours drive south of Cariboo and we have some patches of snow on the ground. Not really enough to say we "truly have snow". There is snow forecast for tomorrow and Saturday---we will see.

MUSTANG
12-08-2016, 01:24 PM
About 50 miles south of the Canadian Border as the Geese Fly for the Winter and we have about 6-8 inches on the ground and -9* F this morning.

Wise Owl
12-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Western Maine now has around 6 to 8 inches on the ground. Snowing as I type this. Making getting out to do errands nasty in the old Ford........ Hope it lets off soon. Need to get to the PO today or tomorrow....

Main roads "probably" sanded and salted while side roads will get done when this batch of snow stops falling.

The Malamute is happy tho.....She loves this stuff.....

starmac
12-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Fairbanks does not usually get a lot of snow. # feet is a pretty good snow year, the good thing is typically once it lands it stays till spring breakup.
Many areas of the country gets a lot more snow than we do, as does many areas of Alaska especially coastal.

Smowmobilers are funny, especially on years like this that the snow is late coming.
There were 2 hunters, maybe trappers went 28 miles in on our logging road every day before unloading their 4 wheelers, They also had a sled on the trailer,which they would leave behind. Our first snow was an inch or less, and instead of wheelers thay brought their snowmachines and pulled the sled. It just left a dirt track away from their trailer to where ever they went. lol I just figure they were chomping at the bit to use their snow machines.

Rattlesnake Charlie
12-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Snow on the mountains here in northern New Mexico for the last two weeks. It snowed lightly last Tuesday here in Los Alamos (el. 7400 ft), still hanging on in the shade. Snowed last Friday in western KS where I was hunting deer. Made the leaves much quieter to get through. Sure soaked my pants though as I waded through the weeds.

paul h
12-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Very little, maybe 4-6" on the ground. It looks like another mild winter, that last two were practically non winters.

I think I jinxed myself for getting a new pair of cross country and downhill skis two winters ago. Haven't been able to use them much since.

Hopefully we'll get enough snow that I can go skiing with the kids a few times during Christmas break.

bearcove
12-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Western Maine now has around 6 to 8 inches on the ground. Snowing as I type this. Making getting out to do errands nasty in the old Ford........ Hope it lets off soon. Need to get to the PO today or tomorrow....

Main roads "probably" sanded and salted while side roads will get done when this batch of snow stops falling.

The Malamute is happy tho.....She loves this stuff.....

When I was up north the dogs would pick the last piles of snow to lay on. premo turf.

OOps thats break up time. its coming

Its funny wintering in NM I miss getting dumped on with a sht load of snow. I've seen 2 4 foot snowfalls in a shot and love that.

Mtnfolk75
12-08-2016, 04:10 PM
We still have 4-5" left from the 12" we got on the 26th-27th of last month. We have lived here since April of 2000 and I have kept snow records every year, the first 10 we averaged 170". With the drought over the last few years it has dropped to 139", last year we had 112" after years with 77", 56" & 43" :( Our local Ski Park opened last weekend, was open a little last year but closed completely the 3 years prior. SWMBO worked there 3 years as a Hostess to make ends meet, she actually got rehired the 4th year but it never opened. Sure glad we are passed that financially. BTW, we are leaving today headed to Lake Oswego, OR to house sit for our oldest Daughter, they have a little snow & are forecast for 2-4" more today :veryconfu

starmac
12-08-2016, 04:19 PM
MtnFolk, is that the daughter that works up here?

Bob in Revelstoke
12-09-2016, 02:17 AM
Here in Revelstoke we should have a foot or more of snow but have less than an inch. Lots on the mountains but high up. Boarders and sledders are happy though, Had three bear cubs in the yard two nights ago (didn't see Goldilocks though). Good chance they won't make it through the winter as they haven't denned up yet.

Reverend Al
12-09-2016, 02:40 AM
We had a light snowfall about 2 days ago and most of it is now gone, but it's cold out there tonight and we're supposed to get more of the white stuff overnight. I'll see what it looks like in the morning since the plan is to take an old friend of mine who doesn't drive any longer (83 years old) up to to the range for a bit of handgun shooting ...

shaper
12-09-2016, 10:32 AM
23 degrees this morning in north Georgia, you can keep the white stuff.

Shawlerbrook
12-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Here in the shadow of the Great Lakes in Central NY, we have already got 40" this season with another 4-8" on the way.

blackthorn
12-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Lightly snowing here this morning. Supposed to be about 2cm---we will see.