PDA

View Full Version : Experienced beginner

reomack
12-06-2016, 09:37 AM
Well I have been melting WWs and casting Boolits for a few years now but I am not nearly as deep into the techniques and methods as many who post here. Some of the regulars here should write books about this stuff and I expect that some actually have done so. At any rate I do enjoy the hobby and on a somewhat irregular basis I do cast some 38/357s, 30s, 40s, and 45s. Today I am going to assemble some fodder for one of my 1911s as follows, Lee RN/TL which average 236 gr with the WW lead I am using, 4.8 gr of 700x, range pickups cleaned in a sonic cleaner and tumbled in walnut media, CCI LP primers, and assembled with a Lee classic turret press with a Lee carbide die set. I have used this particular recipe before with decent results but I put it out here for constructive criticism and comment. Any input which will improve the end product will be most welcome. I am old (75) and somewhat set in my ways but can still learn and adapt. Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

frkelly74
12-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Go man Go! Are you tumble lubing? I found that occasionally One of my boolits will be to fat to chamber and so I run them through a sizer to prevent that. I am using that same boolit and also the 200 gr flat nose but with bullseye or unique. I have gone to the 6 cavity molds for both boolits also. Fun Fun Fun.

dverna
12-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the site!!!

The .45 is relatively forgiving so almost anything will work. If you have a load that works, tweaking it may not be worth the effort. Plus what works in one gun does not always work in every gun.

If there is some aspect of your load that you wish to improve, let us know. There are a lot of experience people here willing to help.

Don Verna

Dusty Bannister
12-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Sounds like things are working for you so not sure what needs to be "fixed". As already mentioned some like to run TL through a sizer just to make them uniform. I would remind you that with range brass you might find some cases take the SP primer and that will just be a sudden stop in the process if you let one slip past and try to prime it. If you set them aside, you can always use them later when you get enough to mess with. Just have fun and be safe. Dusty

rancher1913
12-06-2016, 10:59 AM
so do you drive a reo or a mack :mrgreen:

Walter Laich
12-06-2016, 11:05 AM
if you're wanting to experiment there is always powder coating PC.

replaces lube with a coating of entire bullet (the base too, if you are tumble coating)

There is a subsection all about it.

I find I'm casting bullets just so I can PC them--course I'm way younger than you at 71

reomack
12-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Rancher, as a younger man I dove Macks occasionally To QA the work of my mechanics. Lately though just Fords and Dodges, sorry ;-)

reomack
12-06-2016, 11:26 AM
I do tumble lube Lube first, size then relube, seems to work OK.

reomack
12-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Dusty, thanks for the SP primer reminder. I check em all to make sure.

runfiverun
12-06-2016, 12:50 PM
one of the guy's I shoot falling plates with is doing just what your doing.
and it works for him too.
some of the stuff we talk about here is for really pushing the envelope or trying for the crusty guilt edge of tuning a load as far as possible for one or two rifles/revolvers.

there is nothing wrong with just making some boolits and using a lube system and just shooting.
at least I hope not cause that is exactly what I do with many of my guns.
and save the esoteric stuff for the 1-2 that really will shoot lead boolits at high precision.

swheeler
12-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Keep on keepin' on, sounds like you are doing just fine withh the 45. " Lately though just Fords and Dodges, sorry :wink:" looks like this is what needs attention, ditch the Dodges!!!!:bigsmyl2:

Budzilla 19
12-06-2016, 01:48 PM
reo mack , sounds like you got it going your way for sure! I shoot that same boolit in my .45 also, works great! As for lube,PC or BLL is the way to go! Just using Herco instead of Unique. As for Fords and Dodges, they are both good vehicles, but,if we talking DIESEL trucks, then it's hands down Dodge. ( talk about starting a war!) Good luck to you,sir!