PDA

View Full Version : Hotrod 45 and PP hollow points?

54bore
12-05-2016, 11:04 AM
First off i will say up front that i am NOT a fan of hollow point bullets in anything other than a pistol, these bullets were given to me, i was gonna toss them in the melting pot but decided this morning to try them out. One is a TC Maxi Hunter bullet that weighs 255 grains, and the other is a Lyman Great Plains hollow point, hollow base bullet that weighs 285 grains. I ran these DRY through my .448 sizing die to size the driving band down, then paper patched them with 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper and pushed them back through the sizer. I stripped the lube from these bullets. Be interesting to see if they shoot worth a darn or not? 182056182057

Themoose
12-05-2016, 01:00 PM
54Bore,

It would be an interesting test, but I don't think they could be more lethal than the solid 11mm bullet sized & wrapped per idahoron's sticky... mine weigh in around 400 gr and plain destroy deer.. I've only pulled the trigger three times, but wow, two of the three dropped on the spot DRT and the other was dead and just didn't know it... of course, I use the high shoulder hold, as I get older, it is harder for me to chase or even see blood trails as I once did.. I don't know what Idaho has for varmints, but I once was given permission to hunt whitetail on a farmer's place with the condition that I shot as many groundhogs as I could... the early antlerless only blackpowder season found me in a tree stand at the corner of wooded fence rows and pasture... I took six shots that week,, and yup all groundhogs, out to 160 yds IRC... those hollowpoints would sure shoot flatter and should make a big impression on those whistle pigs!

54bore
12-05-2016, 01:32 PM
54Bore,

It would be an interesting test, but I don't think they could be more lethal than the solid 11mm bullet sized & wrapped per idahoron's sticky... mine weigh in around 400 gr and plain destroy deer.. I've only pulled the trigger three times, but wow, two of the three dropped on the spot DRT and the other was dead and just didn't know it... of course, I use the high shoulder hold, as I get older, it is harder for me to chase or even see blood trails as I once did.. I don't know what Idaho has for varmints, but I once was given permission to hunt whitetail on a farmer's place with the condition that I shot as many groundhogs as I could... the early antlerless only blackpowder season found me in a tree stand at the corner of wooded fence rows and pasture... I took six shots that week,, and yup all groundhogs, out to 160 yds IRC... those hollowpoints would sure shoot flatter and should make a big impression on those whistle pigs!

Themoose, This is nothing more than a fun experiment, i am VERY familiar with the 11MM Rifle bullet, Idahoron totally hooked me on those bullets and they shoot absolutely amazing out of my Green Mountain LRH, i own the RCBS 11MM mold and keep plenty of them on hand! I am a total tinkerer and instead of melting these bullets down i figured what the heck? I am not a fan of hollow point bullets in a rifle of any sorts, i like a big flat meplat 'HAMMER' of a bullet (like the 11MM in my .45 and the 500 S&W bullet i shoot in my .50 Cal) I am pretty sure these particular 45 Cal Hornady Great Plains bullets are no longer made? And i think these TC Maxi Hunter bullets are fairly rare for the 45 Cal as well. When these few are gone they will not be replaced, regardless of how they shoot.

obx-shooter
12-05-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm pan lubing 50 of those TC Maxi-Hunters in .45 this very moment for my TC Hawken .45 so I look forward to how your experiment develops.

I've been reading Idaho Ron's reports on his fast twist .45 with interest and have components including a barrel for my Renegade "in the mail" ... but it seems half the fun of this stuff is "experimenting" ...

charlie b
12-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Interesting because I was just looking at some Hornady bullets to paper patch for my GPH.

54bore
12-05-2016, 09:51 PM
When i paper patch i start my wrap a little forward toward the nose, i adjust the paper to whatever bullet i am playing with, i want the paper to 'Shuck' immediately upon exiting the barrel. Most probably already know this, but figured i would throw it out there for the ones that might not know.

charlie b
12-05-2016, 11:22 PM
Do you wrap with a tail and then cut it off or make the paper just long enough to cover the driving bands?

54bore
12-05-2016, 11:59 PM
Do you wrap with a tail and then cut it off or make the paper just long enough to cover the driving bands?

Wrap with a tail, twist and tuck it, then push through the sizing die DRY. I learned what i know about it from Idahoron, if you look in the sticky section he has a tutorial on paper patching, i do everything the same as the tutorial. If you prefer watching it done i HIGHLY advise Idahoron's youtube channel! It was his youtube channel that set a fire in me to do this! He shoots his Hotrod Hawken out to 300 yards in one of his videos. Ron is a wealth of knowledge! Forum member Johnson1942 has another method of Paper Patching that i would like to try as well, PM him, or just ask him here, i wont speak for him, but ill bet he would gladly help ya.

OverMax
12-06-2016, 01:23 AM
The idea of shooting long distances with a percussion sidelock rifle does have some advantages. But when those advantages are weighed against the cost to do. Without a doubt its cheaper to buy a CVA Optima inline for those same intentions.
As far as which paper patched conical ball will produce the best accuracy from a barrel having a 1-28 twist? I think the Thompson Maxi Hunter will do quite well in the accuracy department unlike its opponent the Lyman conical Musket ball.

54bore
12-06-2016, 07:13 AM
The idea of shooting long distances with a percussion sidelock rifle does have some advantages. But when those advantages are weighed against the cost to do. Without a doubt its cheaper to buy a CVA Optima inline for those same intentions.
As far as which paper patched conical ball will produce the best accuracy from a barrel having a 1-28 twist? I think the Thompson Maxi Hunter will do quite well in the accuracy department unlike its opponent the Lyman conical Musket ball.

I cant bring myself to wanting an inline. Just not my thing

54bore
12-06-2016, 07:16 AM
These bullets will be shot in my .45 Hotrod Renegade, 1:30 twist Green Mountain LRH Barrel. Its on the chilly side here this morning at 18 degrees, i stil might get out and shoot

charlie b
12-06-2016, 10:03 AM

I agree with you about cost. I had an inline and then sold it. I was about to buy another when I found my current rifle on a rack in the gun shop. Even used the Lyman Great Plains is more expensive than many inlines. I just like the look and feel of the older style guns.

But, you can still shoot paper patched or greased bullets in your inline if you so choose. And still shoot to longer distances. The only real limiting factor is how well you can judge distances when shooting a bullet that has a rainbow trajectory. Not really any different than the guys shooting the black powder cartridges.

Good Cheer
12-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Steve McQueen's line in Tom Horn about the rainbow trajectory on his fifty was a nice touch.
Probably went right over the heads of 95% of the audiences but nice just the same. With me the growing older thing has introduced the new element into shooting known as astigmatism. Does funny things, especially to your front sight. Navarone (.52 bore x 38" long) sports a clamp on scope mount to fit anywhere down the length of the barrel. I'm threatening to get another viable but with distance presets for the elevation knob. And an electronic coyote caller.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/Navarone%20first%20shots%20fired_zps5z0lqzli.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/Navarone%20first%20shots%20fired_zps5z0lqzli.jpg.h tml)

charlie b
12-06-2016, 12:24 PM
LOL I too suffer with eye problems. I have been able to get away with peep sights if they have small apertures, at least out to 200yd as long as the target bull is large enough :) (I don't hunt). I have noticed my groups at range have gotten bigger due to this. Most of the time I shoot at 100yd so it's not as much of a problem.

When my father-in-law's eyes got bad he had his gunsmith put a pistol scope on his M1 Garand. Yes, he made a "Scout" rifle before they became popular. I still like shooting it with that scope (3x).

I just can't bring myself to put a scope on my Great Plains rifle. So I will limit myself in range. But, if my eyes get worse I may have to do something else. Maybe build a rifle with a scope.

charlie

charlie b
12-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Wrap with a tail, twist and tuck it, then push through the sizing die DRY. I learned what i know about it from Idahoron, if you look in the sticky section he has a tutorial on paper patching, i do everything the same as the tutorial. If you prefer watching it done i HIGHLY advise Idahoron's youtube channel! It was his youtube channel that set a fire in me to do this! He shoots his Hotrod Hawken out to 300 yards in one of his videos. Ron is a wealth of knowledge! Forum member Johnson1942 has another method of Paper Patching that i would like to try as well, PM him, or just ask him here, i wont speak for him, but ill bet he would gladly help ya.

Thanks. I have followed Ron and the others in the experiments with paper patching. It is the path I will take as I proceed beyond the PRB :)

Good Cheer
12-06-2016, 08:10 PM
charlie b,
Yeah, know what you mean. There's no way my GPR is ever gonna have a scope on it.
The Renegade, yeah, the Renegade with a scope isn't really really bad.
:rolleyes:

charlie b
12-12-2016, 10:14 PM
So, you shoot these things yet?

54bore
12-13-2016, 07:49 AM
So, you shoot these things yet?

Not yet, to many irons in the fire at the moment so to speak, along with poor weather, snow, and its 6 degrees here right now as i type this. I will eventually get to it, i have them ready to go.

charlie b
12-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Thanks.

It's above freezing here so thinking of going to the range this week :)

54bore
12-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks.

It's above freezing here so thinking of going to the range this week :)

It was -2 here this morning at 6am, its warmed up to 1.5 degrees now tho! lol, im gonna hold off a little longer, this kind of weather is plain miserable to try and comfortably shoot